• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
What I mean is you don't usually get this kind of stupid back and forth shit with the other consoles. Publishers will just announce their games and be done with it, no need for the juvenile teasing.

The only thing juvenile are the overreactions. Although after that ridiculous Direct thread I'm not super surprised.

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
So you're basically linking people's reaction to what seems to be an obvious tease to port begging and also criticize the moderation team's work at the same time?

This is like accusing the sun of not providing enough light when there's clouds in the sky. :lol

I wish I could make sense of your analogy, but perhaps I should have been more clear.

Point: Switch port begging is rampant on this forum (ex: https://www.resetera.com/threads/let’s-have-a-discussion-on-switch-“port-begging”.23281/) and goes unmoderated.
Anecdote: I personally report ~1-3 port begging every 2-3 visits or so and have not seen it stop or even warned against or even a response to my reports (even the super low effort ones), hence I can only assume its unmoderated.
Observation: I am not alone in perceiving (see the above thread)
Theory: Letting this behavior go rampant creates a community that creates latent biases and impacts the subconscious of posters so everything looks like a switch announcement.
Evidence: This thread. Literally a 6s video of a night light turning on and off turned into 10 pages of switch speculation.
Conclusion: The amount of switch begging gone out of control has turned a considerable portion of this forum and its posters, delusional.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is precisely why the switch port begging crap needs to be curbed. Mods are doing a terrible job at taking a stance here and I don't get why.
I wish I could make sense of your analogy, but perhaps I should have been more clear.

Point: Switch port begging is rampant on this forum (ex: https://www.resetera.com/threads/let's-have-a-discussion-on-switch-"port-begging".23281/) and goes unmoderated.
Anecdote: I personally report ~1-3 port begging every 2-3 visits or so and have not seen it stop or even warned against or even a response to my reports (even the super low effort ones), hence I can only assume its unmoderated.
Theory: Letting this behavior go rampant creates a community that creates latent biases and impacts the subconscious of posters so everything looks like a switch announcement.
Evidence: This thread. Literally a 6s video of a night light turning on and off turned into 10 pages of switch speculation.
Conclusion: The amount of switch begging gone out of control has turned a considerable portion of this forum and its posters, delusional.

Relax son. You're taking all of this a bit too seriously.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this thread is precisely why the switch port begging crap needs to be curbed. Mods are doing a terrible job at taking a stance here and I don't get why.

I think this sort of comment is what needs to be curbed IMO. You're not a mod, stop acting like you enforce the rules and being hostile when it is not needed. The mods are doing a great job...

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Switch owners begged Blizzard to make an obvious Switch teaser for Diablo 3 on their twitter.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017

Point: Switch port begging is rampant on this forum (ex: https://www.resetera.com/threads/let's-have-a-discussion-on-switch-"port-begging".23281/) and goes unmoderated.

Pack it up guys, the unofficial internet forum police have arrived.

So, what you're suggesting is that someone on the social media team at this vast games development company found a novelty Diablo themed light and filmed themselves "switching" it on and off twice then decided to post it on their huge company's official Twitter page? Why even switch it on and off at all? If this was an employee, impressed by a cool novelty light, they would have posted it on their personal Twitter account, not the official company one.

To suggest that discussion of this tweet is simply "port begging" is asinine in the extreme. This was a very, very strange thing to tweet for absolutely no reason and Blizzard's official response is about the most blatant piece of PR spin I've ever seen. This is perfectly legitimate grounds for discussion. "Port begging" would entail the OP randomly making a thread saying "gee they ought to bring Diablo to Switch, wouldn't that be cool?"

All you are doing here is trying to shut down discussion about something which you personally have no interest in.

Last edited:

triple

Nov 10, 2017
I think this sort of comment is what needs to be curbed IMO. You're not a mod, stop acting like you enforce the rules and being hostile when it is not needed. The mods are doing a great job...

You're missing the portion when I said specifically about port begging (which is against the mods' rules). I agree, the mods are doing a great job all around, does that mean they can't do better?

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well thought out and reasoned. We need more of this. I might change delusional to insufferable though.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the hype for the portability factor but Im done with DIII at this point anyways... I'll take a POE port though.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Personally attacking another user. Joking about sexual abuse.

Show me on the doll where Nintendo hurt you.

triple

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think Switch owners begged Blizzard to make an obvious Switch teaser for Diablo 3 on their twitter.

The fact that you and others think this is an obvious switch teaser (when they literally said it wasn't) is exactly the point I am trying to make, which is falling on deaf posters.

I'm out on this thread, I can't stop this rabid fanboyism.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You're missing the portion when I said specifically about port begging (which is against the mods' rules). I agree, the mods are doing a great job all around, does that mean they can't do better?

I thought the rule about port begging was not to derail topics about it, not about having dedicated topics discussing it. You seem like you're taking the matter way too seriously.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Counter point time!

Point: People want games for their consoles, it is normal and can be written in a more acceptable fashion than ''SWITCH WHEN?!''.
Anecdote: I reported you for unwarranted accusation of port begging and armchair modding.
Observation: Many posters have no idea how marketing works.
Theory: Maybe you see the enthusiasm of Switch owners as something much more menacing than it actually is?
Evidence: This post and your last post.
Conclusion: Calm down breh.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm that's not port-begging.

Do you know why port-begging is forbidden ? Basically because it can derail an entire thread. For example, a game is announced for PS4/X1, going into the annoucement thread to beg for a Switch version is forbidden, and that's a good thing. Sometimes, the lines are blurrier like we saw with the surprising lack of X1 version of the rumour about Crash or the lack of PC version in the VC4 thread.

Yesterday, Blizzard tweeted something Diablo related. If you have a better explanation than the rest of the thread, we'll gladly hear it.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking this myself. I already own three copies and have easily put in a couple of thousand hours across all fronts.

Not sure if I need it on switch, but jeez, I sure would be tempted.

Havent D3 for months, played necropack on both pc and console, and i would litterally start over for having a couch D3. When you get back into this game, its always good.This game never get old. One of the latest patch they did which improve significantly good old build like shield , shotgun crusader are just too damn fun to play.

Oh yeah, i know myself, ill quad dip for sure.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that you and others think this is an obvious switch teaser (when they literally said it wasn't) is exactly the point I am trying to make, which is falling on deaf posters.

I have no interest in buying Diablo on Switch if (when) it happens but insinuating you are a rabid fanboy for thinking it is a Switch teaser... Yeah, know. Sounds like a wise decision to leave this thread.

Hmm that's not port-begging.

Do you know why port-begging is forbidden ? Basically because it can derail an entire thread. For example, a game is announced for PS4/X1, going into the annoucement thread to beg for a Switch version is forbidden, and that's a good thing. Sometimes, the lines are blurrier like we saw with the surprising lack of X1 version of the rumour about Crash or the lack of PC version in the VC4 thread.

Yesterday, Blizzard tweeted something Diablo related. If you have a better explanation than the rest of the thread, we'll gladly hear it.

I must agree the Crash thread was pretty fun, a lot about "what about XB1" which is a fair question, but also the kind of reactions that get negative reaction if it's Switch instead. Even for announcement where it makes little sense to drop Switch, like Disney Afternoon Collection.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Port begging is not against the rules if it is coupled with reasonable discussion about why you want it on a particular platform.

Also, complaining about port begging is WAY more prevalent and derailing than actual port begging is. Also I've begun to notice a hell of a lot of "sarcastic" port begging in announcement threads from people just regurgitating the "perfect for Switch" meme. The actual Switch port begging problem has died down significantly since last year.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017

You need to go read about PR. They did NOT say that it "wasn't" a Switch teaser. They said "they have nothing to announce". Lines of meaning can be far more subtle than simply taking things at face value. Again, Todd Howard said those exact words: "we have nothing to announce" about Skyrim on Switch.... After Nintendo had released a video of someone playing it.

triple

Nov 10, 2017
Counter point time!

Point: People want games for their consoles, it is normal and can be written in a more acceptable fashion than ''SWITCH WHEN?!''.
Anecdote: I reported you for unwarranted accusation of port begging and armchair modding.
Observation: Many posters have no idea how marketing works.
Theory: Maybe you see the enthusiasm of Switch owner as something much more menacing than it actually is?
Evidence: This post and your last post.
Conclusion: Calm down breh.

While I enjoy you taking the time to mock me, you could have at least put in the effort to understand the words you attempted to use :\

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wellyoutried.imgur

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol. fair enough. so many switch owners throwing a fit now i guess. enough with the constant port begging pls.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This thread isn't port begging. Port begging is derailing an unrelated thread with posts about wanting a game on another platform. This entire thread is about having a game on another platform, so it isn't port begging to talk about that. It's the point of the damn thread.

Also, you must be new to video game PR if you took that statement as meaning the tweet was unrelated to a current project. "We have nothing to announce" might as well mean "coming soon."

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

Hypothesis: you're the one with a problem if it bothers you that much. The most blatant cases of port begging in unrelated threads are properly dealt with.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I want this game on Switch"
"Stop right there you port begging fanboy begger."

Port begging is annoying when there's no basis for it or it's just unrealistic. Like "I want Uncharted on Switch" would be not ok. But Diablo 3 has been ported everywhere else, is easy to run, and is basically an open secret at this point. It barely fits the line of port begging if at all.

triple

Nov 10, 2017
Hypothesis: you're the one with a problem if it bothers you that much. The most blatant cases of port begging in unrelated threads are properly dealt with.

You're right.

In the valkyrie profile thread I was just in:

zi9lSzK.png

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're missing the portion when I said specifically about port begging (which is against the mods' rules).

No, it's not. It's only an issue if it derails a thread.

From the ResetERA General FAQ:

Port-begging: Every time new hardware releases and games are launching between two hardware cycles, people often 'beg' for ports of those games for that new hardware by either derailing threads or creating threads. It is not okay to simply complain and derail threads. Instead, make a good argument to why there should be a X version for Y game.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It must be torture being a switch owner and seeing clues of ports all over the place because of the common term switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I didn't make the connection from the video in the tweet until I saw it retweeted by a bunch of people, including mods here, talking about how it was clearly a not-so-subtle hint at a Switch port.

The fact that 99% of the responses to that tweet are saying the same thing makes it pretty clear that only Nintendo/Switch fans aren't really alone in reading it that way.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It must be torture being a switch owner and seeing clues of ports all over the place because of the common term switch.

This was a really specific thing and wasn't just a case of someone leaving their box copy of Diablo 3 next to their light switch and making the thread about that or something. Even if it leads to nowhere I am not surprised or offended people made the obvious conclusion they did from Blizzard's video/tweet.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well. This thread has been completely derailed. There doesn't seem to be much to discuss at this point either.

Blizzard has said they have nothing to announce at this point. Once they do announce something then feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.