• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how much Kaplan has changed over the years. Good for him, and I agree with him completely.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
He should do a new angry email/forum post like from back in the day

Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of a disciplinary action can go fuck themselves. Do me a favour so I don't run my company's reputation into the ground for this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at [email protected] when you decide to A) Implement decision-making processes that weren't designed by a chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get an ethics board C) Actually consult on the fucking matter and D) Tell China to fuck off. And please for god's sake - do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Get off of Winnie the Pooh's dick. While you're at it, rename the company to the People's Republic of Blizzard since you've used up you're allotted goodwill karma on Diablo Eternal and all the WoW expansions since LK. Fix your priorities. Fix your esports. Rethink your oppression bullshit. Fix all the shitty, corporate policies (I suggest you let whoever decided to return Blitzchung's money take over since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix Diablo 4 and Shadowlands (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record.) Don't have to resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Blizzard corporation away from Activision AND DO IT NOW. If you don't rescind all of Blitzchung's punishments, you jackassess will be the only ones buying your games.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
cynical brain: they are letting him say this so they gain some good will from the public. "well at least HE'S good!" and people will feel good about supporting blizzard again

Read it as it is: Blizzchung was punished for critizing the chinese goverment. Noone, including Kaplan, says he was punished for critizing the chinese goverment. They won't ackknowledged it. And the discussion is now only about whether the punishment was too hard.

The message has been sent.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is almost assuredly a statement approved by Blizzard. This allows the company to maintain a moral ground of saying "We don't shut our employees up" while still upholding their overall policy. They let Brack be the bad guy, as much as people will identify a bad guy here, alongside Netease, while simultaneously taking the heat off the faces for their upcoming games.
Yep. This is just publicity bullshit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean, this is almost assuredly a statement approved by Blizzard. This allows the company to maintain a moral ground of saying "We don't shut our employees up" while still upholding their overall policy. They let Brack be the bad guy, as much as people will identify a bad guy here, alongside Netease, while simultaneously taking the heat off the faces for their upcoming games.

I don't think they've dedicated that much thought to it. Companies don't usually want customers to think they have "bad guys", let alone the president himself. The VP disagreeing with the president is a pretty big blow to credibility and particularly to the notion that Blizzard did the right thing. Fans can far more easily lie themselves into believing everything is fine if Blizzard presents an united front with no fissures.

The only way this would play out as an efficient move in regaining credibility is if Brack stepped down, Kaplan was made CEO, and blitzchung and the casters were fully pardoned. I don't see any of these things happening.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol they are like bugs bunny, skip skip skip skip around the issue. When are they actually going to talk about what incident they are talking about? Never? Never!

Fuck China, Fuck Blizzard and lets hope that lots of shit goes there way.
Free Hong Kong and stand for freedom and against oppression.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No one is buying what bullshit, exactly? Imran's post isn't bullshit; it's pretty astute.

Any conspiracy seems "astute" to the one that believes in it. Doesn't make them any truer.

And, I mean, what Blizzard is actually, provably doing is nefarious enough as it is. There's no reason to distract from that with conjectures of complicated supervillain-level plans.

Edit: In case it's not clear: I fully believe his statement has been filtered through how many layers of PR Blizzard has in place to appease to their Chinese overlords. I just don't buy that his disagreement with Blizzard policy is, itself, faked, or that this is a move to make him contrast with Brack and make the latter into a scapegoat.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great news, but I doubt it leads to action.

Just like Blizzard themselves said last week, actions speak louder than words. Amazing how they just say that on stage and literally do nothing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not trusting corporations is not conspiratorial.

I have no clue how you ended up believing that it's the "distrusting corporations" part that I find delusional, as opposed to, you know, the "crafting elaborate theories of complicated, roundabout plans that would not actually benefit said corporation in the slightest, based in absolutely no proof" part.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue how you ended up believing that it's the "distrusting corporations" part that I find delusional, as opposed to, you know, the "crafting elaborate theories of complicated, roundabout plans that would not actually benefit said corporation in the slightest, based in absolutely no proof" part.

There's nothing elaborate or roundabout in my thinking here. I believe these are Jeff's honest opinions; I also believe that they don't matter. The needle won't move. I think that treating this like a bold and brave action on Jeff's part is shortsighted.

It benefits Blizzard to let a beloved figure speak his mind. It costs them nothing. Overwatch builds goodwill ("well Blizzard sucks, but Jeff has his head on straight!") and Blitzcheung and the casters remain punished. The big wheel keeps on turning.

...Kojima as well when he was at Konami.

(funny to hear Kaplan as the example of "old Blizzard", considering he was hired to work on World of Warcraft)

Believe me if it really does turn out that Blizzard is frothing mad about this and Jeff gets blackballed the way Kojima did that'll be pretty interesting and I'll happily eat crow. Somehow I doubt the Activision higher ups are dropping their monocles and jumping up and down on their top hats over this though.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Kaplan needs to be president of Blizzard. He has good values and really cares about players.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People Saying Jeff Kaplan is the VP of the company... There's multiple, and also Activision brass above him.

Not saying that him acting like it's something completely removed from him isn't right. It's not, it's fucked up. But he can't just snap his fingers either.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Not this shit again.
The company came out and stated their stance on the situation, offered a NON-APOLOGY while punishment remains.
Then they allow "individual employee" to express their "personnel opinion" on the matter, which matters to NOTHING.

What do people mean by Blizzard hasn't done enough? They did absolutely fucking NOTHING.
Go have the communist money, you won't have mine.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
...Kojima as well when he was at Konami.

(funny to hear Kaplan as the example of "old Blizzard", considering he was hired to work on World of Warcraft)
WoW is over 15 years old. Kaplan literally placed the mobs in Molten Core and their pathing. He's 100% part of old blizzard.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I personally know someone under the Blizzard umbrella that had to ask their superiors about responding to a question I had about it.
This ain't much. Sorry Kaplan.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still stumped that they really are that stubborn and gives no inch in reducing/eliminating the ban at blizzcon. Hey Blizzard, ever heard of the word 'warning'? It's Blizchung's first time of doing this, he didn't shout for threatening human lives, he's just saying words that show his patriotism to his country, why is the punishment so fucking severe? Even 6 months is still too harsh. Brack you fuck.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
This. Let's see some action from the Vice President of Blizzard. Hm, what do you say about that, Jeff?

It's weird how we heard so much at blizcon about how actions are louder that words, but we still aren't seeing any.

We just watched his boss not say in the least that he was sorry for actually banning Blitzchung or suspending the casters.

What are you actually expecting? A corporate coup d'etat?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He is pretty much the last loved personality at Blizzard. He can say whatever the fuck he wants, he did and that's awesome.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this them playing good cop bad cop? we will give blizzard credit for having good guys while they do nothing about the suspension.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still stumped that they really are that stubborn and gives no inch in reducing/eliminating the ban at blizzcon. Hey Blizzard, ever heard of the word 'warning'? It's Blizchung's first time of doing this, he didn't shout for threatening human lives, he's just saying words that show his patriotism to his country, why is the punishment so fucking severe? Even 6 months is still too harsh. Brack you fuck.

They reduced it once, and eliminating all punishment really would just open the doorway for all players to break rules they set. I dont think he should of been banned or punished but they put those rules there for a reason and just ignoring they exist doesn't excuse it for any reason.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They reduced it once, and eliminating all punishment really would just open the doorway for all players to break rules they set. I dont think he should of been banned or punished but they put those rules there for a reason and just ignoring they exist doesn't excuse it for any reason.

Yeah! How dare he violate the "we can ban you for any reason we want" rule?

Lest we forget, this was the "rule" that he "broke", according to Blizzard:
"engaging in any act that, in Blizzard's sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image."

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing that would show, indisputably, that Kaplan is speaking of his own mind without Blizzard's approval. There are many reasons (some legit) why it would never happen, but.

Tell us why the suspension hasn't been lifted.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah! How dare he violate the "we can ban you for any reason we want" rule?

Lest we forget, this was the "rule" that he "broke", according to Blizzard:
"engaging in any act that, in Blizzard's sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image."

I did say the guy shouldnt have been banned, I'm just saying the rules they put forth are there for a reason. Not having them or not upholding people who accept them when going into the competition opens a huge can of worms and invites anyone to go and say whatever they want and whatever they want might just be something vile that you don't agree with it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dismissive commentary around LGBTQ+ issues

You mean the rule where no politics is allowed but Brack constantly shoves their pro-lgbtq+ stance down our throats acting like that's not politics?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hopefully the people who have internalized inane Blizzard apologia will read this and think to themselves, "Huh, perhaps the massive backlash was situated in something real and concrete, and Blizzard did indeed royally fuck up...?"

Hopefully.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I did say the guy shouldnt have been banned, I'm just saying the rules they put forth are there for a reason. Not having them or not upholding people who accept them when going into the competition opens a huge can of worms and invites anyone to go and say whatever they want and whatever they want might just be something vile that you don't agree with it.

Did you read a single line of my post? What rule did he violate?

Also lol at the blatant slippery slope fallacy. :D

You mean the rule where no politics is allowed but Brack constantly shoves their pro-lgbtq+ stance down our throats acting like that's not politics?

It's even worse than that. There's not even such a thing as "no politics" rule; that has been made ad-hoc by Blizzard stans to excuse his punishment, but the rule Blizzard themselves cite as the reason for his ban doesn't even mention politics at all. It's just a catch-all "anything that we find offensive", which is as much a rule as "I know it when I see it" is a definition.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of a disciplinary action can go fuck themselves. Do me a favour so I don't run my company's reputation into the ground for this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at [email protected] when you decide to A) Implement decision-making processes that weren't designed by a chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get an ethics board C) Actually consult on the fucking matter and D) Tell China to fuck off. And please for god's sake - do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Get off of Winnie the Pooh's dick. While you're at it, rename the company to the People's Republic of Blizzard since you've used up you're allotted goodwill karma on Diablo Eternal and all the WoW expansions since LK. Fix your priorities. Fix your esports. Rethink your oppression bullshit. Fix all the shitty, corporate policies (I suggest you let whoever decided to return Blitzchung's money take over since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix Diablo 4 and Shadowlands (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record.) Don't have to resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Blizzard corporation away from Activision AND DO IT NOW. If you don't rescind all of Blitzchung's punishments, you jackassess will be the only ones buying your games.

Absolutely timeless rant

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Wow... people think this is all PR?

I'm a cynical fuck and even I don't think this is some calculated pr from the top. First of all Blizzard doesn't want this being talked about anymore so they sure as hell wouldn't tell him to say all these things AFTER the positive Blizzcon gaming news. Secondly this does nothing for Blizzard the company as a whole this literally ONLY makes Kaplan look good.

If anything this looks like a self preservation move by Kaplan. A pr move maybe but only by Jeff to keep his name in good faith if he ever found himself not with Blizzard anymore. All I know is that there is nothing at all to gain by Acti/Blizzard from Kaplan taking the high road. It actually makes the rest of them look bad.