- Oct 25, 2017
Full listing of what we know:
- Blizzard has been hiring for an unannounced first person game
- Today, we found out it's a first person shooter
- The job postings say it's a competitive game and a PvP game
- The characters have powers and abilities in addition to weapons
- We know the game also has player usable vehicles
- The game also features organic "creatures" in addition to humanoids
- The game also has "units"
- The game features multiple game modes
- It's built on a proprietary engine, which seemed to exist previously, so presumably the Overwatch engine
- This seems to be the game StarCraft 2/Heroes of the Storm game director Dustin Browder moved to direct
- My personal bet is on it being a StarCraft game based on all the information thus far, maybe more on the scale of Battlefield than Overwatch
- To be clear, these job postings are all in a separate section from Overwatch, which is where the job postings for an "Overwatch 2" would go given how they handled job postings for every other sequel, including the upcoming Diablo 4.
- Since people keep asking, it's certainly not impossible it's a Battle Royale game, though I should note they started hiring for it in November 2016. Mind, even if it is more like Battlefield, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a Battle Royale mode.
Source: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/olpl7fwWSENIOR / PRINCIPAL GAME DESIGNER
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced Senior or Principal Designer with experience in developing weapons, abilities, and gameplay systems in action or first-person shooter games. As a Senior or Principal Designer, you’ll work with numerous departments to shape the core gameplay experience for this unannounced project by defining the abilities, powers, and weapons our players will use.
The ideal candidate will design and implement great game experiences while helping to foster a creative and energetic environment. You have proven experience in game design, a strong aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, outstanding people skills, boundless creativity, and extensive knowledge and passion for competitive first-person shooter games.
- Work with team leadership to design units, weapons, and abilities
- Implement units, weapons, and abilities using a proprietary design tool
- Work with team leadership to set direction for game modes, level design, and game systems
- Grow and mentor other designers
- Work closely with the art, level design, and engineering teams to ensure the highest quality player experience
- Act as a player advocate to ensure the highest level of usability, playability, and visual excitement
- A minimum of five years of experience in the video game industry
- Designed, developed, and shipped major game systems in a AAA game
- Able to develop and champion a strong design vision for abilities and weapons, from concept to completion
- Technical experience building gameplay experiences using game tools
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work creatively in a demanding team environment
- Absolute passion for playing and creating PvP game experiences
- Prior experience as a lead
- Experience with current competitive action or shooter games
- Experience with technical design tools