• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Full listing of what we know:
  • Blizzard has been hiring for an unannounced first person game
  • Today, we found out it's a first person shooter
  • The job postings say it's a competitive game and a PvP game
  • The characters have powers and abilities in addition to weapons
  • We know the game also has player usable vehicles
  • The game also features organic "creatures" in addition to humanoids
  • The game also has "units"
  • The game features multiple game modes
  • It's built on a proprietary engine, which seemed to exist previously, so presumably the Overwatch engine
  • This seems to be the game StarCraft 2/Heroes of the Storm game director Dustin Browder moved to direct
  • My personal bet is on it being a StarCraft game based on all the information thus far, maybe more on the scale of Battlefield than Overwatch
  • To be clear, these job postings are all in a separate section from Overwatch, which is where the job postings for an "Overwatch 2" would go given how they handled job postings for every other sequel, including the upcoming Diablo 4.
  • Since people keep asking, it's certainly not impossible it's a Battle Royale game, though I should note they started hiring for it in November 2016. Mind, even if it is more like Battlefield, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a Battle Royale mode.
New job postings:

SENIOR / PRINCIPAL GAME DESIGNER
Unannounced ProjectIrvine

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced Senior or Principal Designer with experience in developing weapons, abilities, and gameplay systems in action or first-person shooter games. As a Senior or Principal Designer, you'll work with numerous departments to shape the core gameplay experience for this unannounced project by defining the abilities, powers, and weapons our players will use.

The ideal candidate will design and implement great game experiences while helping to foster a creative and energetic environment. You have proven experience in game design, a strong aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, outstanding people skills, boundless creativity, and extensive knowledge and passion for competitive first-person shooter games.

Responsibilities
  • Work with team leadership to design units, weapons, and abilities
  • Implement units, weapons, and abilities using a proprietary design tool
  • Work with team leadership to set direction for game modes, level design, and game systems
  • Grow and mentor other designers
  • Work closely with the art, level design, and engineering teams to ensure the highest quality player experience
  • Act as a player advocate to ensure the highest level of usability, playability, and visual excitement
Requirements
  • A minimum of five years of experience in the video game industry
  • Designed, developed, and shipped major game systems in a AAA game
  • Able to develop and champion a strong design vision for abilities and weapons, from concept to completion
  • Technical experience building gameplay experiences using game tools
  • Outstanding self-motivation and initiative
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Able to work creatively in a demanding team environment
  • Absolute passion for playing and creating PvP game experiences
Pluses
  • Prior experience as a lead
  • Experience with current competitive action or shooter games
  • Experience with technical design tools
Source: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/olpl7fwW

Last edited:

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Diablo 4 must but a ways off then :(

Q-Train

Designer at Zenimax Online
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Steve-Carell-Tell-me-more.gif

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Starcraft shooter akin to Halo, or a tactical slow shooter akin to rainbow 6. Just as Warcraft and Starcraft play completely differently, I am guessing it will be much different than Overwatch to avoid overlap.

I am also guessing it's a Starcraft game because the IP is by far their weakest.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, interesting. Obviously they think this game can carve out a different section of the FPS market than Overwatch. Maybe it'll be a more grounded, tactical shooter akin to R6 Siege or Counterstrike?

Oct 25, 2017
I know the signs had been there for a while, but I'm a little disappointed that the SC2 core (not only Browder but much of the former senior staff like David Kim) apparently moved over to something that is not only not an RTS, but may even be a little redundant with Overwatch. I admire everything out of Blizzard to varying degrees, but I've always thought of them as first and foremost the premier RTS house in the industry, and a lot of that rested on Team 1. FPS was one of the least interesting of the possible outcomes.

Good to have these details, anyway, and I hope the project has a distinctive tactical/strategic character to it in the way that Overwatch had a MOBA-like character.

Diablo has its own department. Unless Blizzard expanded and moved most of Team 1's leads to a new unit with the many staffing changes since Legacy of the Void, the prospect this really threatens is Warcraft IV.

SC2 is mostly under maintenance and continued balancing, HotS has slowed down its pace of content releases, and with this subdivision being the guardians of Blizzard's RTS legacy, at this point we have no idea what the future of RTS from them will be (though there might have been a lot of internal reorganization we don't know about). And that's a shame, as I'm literally planning my entire PC upgrade cycle around the next Blizzard RTS, whatever it is and whenever it shows up.

A starcraft shooter?

It does sound like one of the later abandoned iterations of StarCraft: Ghost, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

The game was being developed for some time but was rebooted some time ago. I think Bashiok (from WoW's dev team) is heading it now. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Correction: Ah. It's Kalgan/Tom Chilton from the WoW team. Thanks for that.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Huh, interesting. Obviously they think this game can carve out a different section of the FPS market than Overwatch. Maybe it'll be a more grounded, "realistic" shooter akin to R6 Siege of Counterstrike?

Look at how many different massive FPS there are on the market. Fortnite, PUBG, overwatch, counter strike, COD, battlefield etc. There is a huge and diverse market for FPS.

My guess is that we will get some type of StarCraft game in the vein of Left 4 Dead/Evolve. I am still surprised that more developers haven't tried their hand at cooperative shooters like this, especially with the formula evolving to let other players control the "enemies." My guess is the we will get our choice of controlling Zerg against teams of humans, protoss, etc.

Nov 4, 2017
Why wouldn't it just be Overwatch 2? Maybe with an actual campaign this time. The IP and characters have obviously taken off and become a hit with fans.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Has to be Overwatch SP. You can't possibly be wasting opportunity on Starcraft, are you Blizzard?

This is a 10+ million seller that could get away with using assets already made from Overwatch. EZ MONEY.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather a new IP over a Starcraft spin-off. Blizzard did a great job with setting up Overwatch's world, and I'd like to see them try to set up another one with the same team of writers, if possible.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't it just be Overwatch 2? Maybe with an actual campaign this time. The IP and characters have obviously taken off and become a hit with fans.
Three reasons:

1.) Blizzard has moved away from sequels in favor of "forever" platform games.
2.) Blizzard hires for new games in existing series under the series' header. For example, Diablo 4's jobs are all in the same Diablo bucket as Diablo 3.
3.) It would be weird to hire a totally separate team to make Overwatch 2.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Jeff Kaplan say that they're planning to work on content to expand the lore of Overwatch? Maybe this is that initiative.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Has to be Overwatch SP.
  • "Absolute passion for playing and creating PvP game experiences"
  • "Experience with current competitive action or shooter games"
  • "You have proven experience in game design, a strong aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, outstanding people skills, boundless creativity, and extensive knowledge and passion for competitive first-person shooter games."

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Does it really make sense to have two competitive games? FPS at that? I just don't get how this makes sense. One will cannibalize the other and one will be rendered irrelevant. This seems strange to be honest.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Does it really make sense to have two competitive games? FPS at that? I just don't get how this makes sense. One will cannibalize the other and one will be rendered irrelevant. This seems strange to be honest.
We're talking about a company that already has three between Call of Duty, Destiny, and Overwatch.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If it turns out to be something like Command and Conquer Renegade, I'll be happy.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Technically Blizzard has 3 competitive games with Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, and Hearthstone.

It's too bad. I would love for Blizzard to make a co-op style experience like Diablo but in a futuristic world. (not necessarily an ARPG, but something with story and repeatable content.)

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is always cannibalizing its own base, sorta. Yet that never seems to really hurt them.
IIRC, stuff about Diablo 4 are making it more MMO-like. IE it'd be competing with WoW, no?

Plus, if Nirolak's guess this about being more Battlefield-like, there is less overlap with Overwatch. Small scale vs large scale.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Jeff Kaplan say that they're planning to work on content to expand the lore of Overwatch? Maybe this is that initiative.
I doubt it because it would be strange to have two active Overwatch competitive shooters at the same time. If it is Overwatch, I guess that it would take place during the Omnic Crisis considering the larger match scale than Overwatch.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess something like Siege or CS then, more tactical and it doesn't interfere with OW

Maybe a battle royale mode for Overwatch?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
If it's starcraft the sheer thought of them adding a vulture race mode...racing vultures through New Gettysburg...

Sweating.gif

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess something like Siege or CS then, more tactical and it doesn't interfere with OW

Maybe a battle royale mode for Overwatch?
While not impossible, I'm not sure vehicles fit very well in that model.

But... that might be a good way to distinguish it from other tactical shooters.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for more multiplayer games with vehicles. Outside of Halo and Battlefield we've barely gotten any multiplayer shooters with vehicle action this gen.