• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I went to lunch immediately after the HS announcement (my main focus), but holy shit, this got downhill just as I left, I feel kinda bad for them, but they should have known what they went into when showing this at the end of the presentation and also the timing of the announcement (after people waiting for year on a new diablo game)

It's sad too because they were on a roll before Diablo stuff. Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, and the Warcraft 3 announcement all had really great stuff to show imo.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
It's not gonna have quite the same level of vitriol, but that 'don't you have phones' is some Adam Orth/Phil Spencer shit, lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm just laughing at how fucking sad Diablo Immortal was as the final announcement. A spot that previously had Overwatch was this year dedicated to a mobile game not even developed by Blizzard and clearly a re-skin of the developers previous game.

My god.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
i have zero sympathy for the people booing

""where's the pc version of the mobile only spinoff of the diablo series that is developed externally?"

where the fuck do you think?

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (5 days): Inappropriate language and history of low quality posts.
Not going to download that mobile crap. I would play Hearthstone if it wasnt designed to rape your wallet.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just laughing at how fucking sad Diablo Immortal was as the final announcement. A spot that previously had Overwatch was this year dedicated to a mobile game not even developed by Blizzard and clearly a re-skin of the developers previous game.

My god.

If Blizzard had bangers for their final spot in their yearly conference, that'd be something special

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada

""where's the pc version of the mobile only spinoff of the diablo series that is developed externally?"

I felt sympathy for these guys being the faces for this bad news until "Do you guys not have phones?"

You do NOT react to people not liking your product by blaming the consumers. PR 101.

It's like saying "Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of PC Diablo experience: it's called Diablo 3."

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Blizzcon is still a fairly PC centric show, and the people there may not realize this isn't really a blizzard game.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Man, those videos. Jesus, fans have the right to be disappointed but that is just a big lack of respect.

Dont like it? Just pack your thing and go, don't play it and dont give them money. No need to be douches.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
So I think we can all agree that in terms of announcements:

Lucio-Oh's > > > > > > Warcraft 3: Reforged > Ashe == HoTS first original character > > > Diablo: Immortal

Welp LAO is safe for the PC ARPG this year.
5 MORE DAYS!

WC3 and Classic for me

Wait, is LAO actually coming to the west? I have an ARC so I could sign up for the Korean version if I wanted to, but my Korean isn't the best (and by that I mean it's horrendous).

Star Falcon

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
HoTS first original character
I actually found her pretty underwhelming also. Looks very much like a cliche anime girl, not the best first impression of their original characters especially when there is still such a long list of wanted inclusions from the fans. Didn't help that it was the only new character they announced for HotS...

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard Con 2018:
7Q52.gif

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Lord Fluffy asking that question. Bet that dude is as gutted as anyone. Ugh

For sure. Everyone on that stage knew this was not going to go down well. It's the higher ups who don't actually play the games that are making these decisisons. "Close the show with the mobile game because EVERYONE has a cell phone and plays mobile games! Everyone will see it and want to play that new hot Diablo mobile game".

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I don't play phone games at all, but what's so bad about a mobile Diablo Game?.

I'm not sure as well. I played Diablo when I was a kid on PC and Diablo 3 on launch as well, and seriously, I don't know what's wrong with having games on mobile...

I'm interested in playing Diablo Immortal, even though I would prefer Diablo 4. It will come someday.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nothing bad about it. Just bad as the final announcement of the conference. It shows how out of touch Blizzard has become to their own market

You don't think that the mobile game is going to make insane ammounts of money?. Of course people there wanted D4 or D2 remastered. And they will eventually exist, an outsourced phone game doesn't impact that. I can understand some dissapointment but not such a huge overeaction.

Nintendo announced and released an Animal Crossing mobile game before even announing a new entry for Switch and people didn't lose their shit.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You don't think that the mobile game is going to make insane ammounts of money?. Of course people there wanted D4 or D2 remastered. And they will eventually exist, an outsourced phone game doesn't impact that. I can understand some dissapointment but not such a huge overeaction.

Nintendo announced and released an Animal Crossing mobile game before even announing a new entry for Switch and people didn't lose their shit.

No one is denying that it will make money but why announce it to their hardcore fanbase as the major announcement at the end of the opening ceremony?

Animal Crossing mobile was announced not as the major announcement at a yearly event for hardcore fans. Again it's not the fact that Diablo mobile exists, it's how they have handled the announcement that has led to these reactions and I can see in years to come this will be an example taught to students studying bad PR.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

Like I said, it was just bad as the final announcement of the keynote. It will make money sure.

But you don't end your yearly conference with somthing that gets booed off the stage unless you're out of touch with your fan base.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
No one is denying that it will make money but why announce it to their hardcore fanbase as the major announcement at the end of the opening ceremony?

Animal Crossing mobile was announced not as the major announcement at a yearly event for hardcore fans. Again it's not the fact that Diablo mobile exists, it's how they have handled the announcement that has led to these reactions and I can see in years to come this will be an example taught to students studying bad PR.

AC is a good example also with how Nintendo handled it with the direct a few weeks ago. If they would have just announced Isabelle for Smash and not have said anything about an actual AC game, I'm sure it wouldn't have been received as well as it was with the announcement of an actual AC game coming next year (especially with how hungry Animal Crossing fans are for a new game).

If Blizzard showed Diablo: Immortal and then closed with a Diablo IV title card and a simple "Coming when ready", I doubt this would have been getting the response that it is getting. "Be happy with this mobile game, don't you guys have phones?" just seems pretty tone deaf.

Last edited:

CheeseTom

Oct 27, 2017
They should have ended opening ceremonies with a giant white 4 with a black background. At least give SOMETHING to hardcore diablo fans to chew on... come on.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Like I said, it was just bad as the final announcement of the keynote. It will make money sure.

But you don't end your yearly conference with somthing that gets booed off the stage unless you're out of touch with your fan base.

It's horrible PR, I don't think anybody can deny that. But I still think people are overeacting. I barely consider phone games real games and I played a lot of D1 and D2 back in the day. I understand the dissapointment and the lack of appeal of the announcement but this is too much.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's horrible PR, I don't think anybody can deny that. But I still think people are overeacting. I barely consider phone games real games and I played a lot of D1 and D2 back in the day. I understand the dissapointment and the lack of appeal of the announcement but this is too much.

It's a convention for the super crazy hardcore fans that have spent a small fortune to be there or the money for a virtual ticket. This convention literally caters to the fans that would have this kind of reaction. If Blizzard didn't expect this after doing Blizzcon for 12 years, well...I don't know what to say.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm not sure as well. I played Diablo when I was a kid on PC and Diablo 3 on launch as well, and seriously, I don't know what's wrong with having games on mobile...

I'm interested in playing Diablo Immortal, even though I would prefer Diablo 4. It will come someday.
Yeah, why on earth would a live audience of hardcore PC gamers who have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars to be at that event be frustrated and feel let down by the show's big tease and finale being revealed as a mobile only spin-off?

giphy.webp

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017

From a complete outside view, that question was just unbelieving how Blizzard could be so ignorant and did not see this coming with a hardcore base attending Blizzcon.

Is it fair, no, but what in life is fair?

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im super unhappy about this being the only diablo announcement also but seeing things like this gives me a gross feeling in the pit of my stomach :/ just standing in front of a group of people who worked really hard on something (something nobody wanted, granted) and saying "this is bad and you should feel bad"

would hate for someone to do that to me.
They aren't even working on it....it's being outsourced. So that doesn't apply either.