• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
OW2 will have upgraded models and graphics and PVE. OW1 will keep getting Multiplayer updates for free,

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're redefining what a sequel is by basically making it an expansion pack.

Calling it Overwatch 2 is needlessly complicating things.

Yeah they sure aren't kidding about redefining what a sequel is..
I feel like this is a response to the government crackdown on lootboxes. They gotta keep the cash coming in if OW is going to keep being a viable GAAS and a paid expansion is the way to go.

Still feels really weird to call it OW2.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Remaining OW2 questions:

Release date?
Will MMR/SR carry over?
Price?
How meaty is the PvE?
Will the pace of new content be same for OW2 as it currently is for OW?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like if you're doing PvP you can play with OW2 players with OW1. That includes new maps and heroes too.

The 2 seems mainly for the PvE.
I'm just confused as far as the visual upgrades and everything. Is OW1 going to stay on the older engine, or is it going to be the same across the board, with a paywall to the PvE stuff? Like, fundamentally, is OW1 going to look different to OW2? Or are they going to upgrade OW1 to be in parity with OW2?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
So Overwatch 2 IS a new SKU and new game by the looks of it, but in terms of how it unlocks and operates content, it seems to function exactly like a WoW expansion. Cross play and carryover with OW1/the base game, but all NEW shit will only come to those who buy OW2. Right?

why would they want to keep updating the first game with the new maps and new characters instead of upgrading everyone to OW2 and locking owners of the first game out of single player content

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Doubt it will be a new game. Just a rebrand. Think of Destiny, for example. Main menu mentions the latest expansion whether you bought it or not. Can still play with people who do have it in old content. Plus get some of the new stuff from it for free.

Oct 25, 2017
Memorial to Geoff Robinson happening on the SC2 stream. First thing this BlizzCon that has felt like a reminder of why we're here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Did they mention anything about Warcraft 3 Reforged?

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Overwatch2 looks really nice, excited for this one.

But, this was the first year, where a WoW-AddOn (and the CGI) felt boring as hell. Don't like what they are doing with Sylvannas at all.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Overwatch to me is one of the most underused IP-s this generation. Everytime I watch these trailers and character trailer I get I hyped. I want to play in this world, experience its rich history that was crafted by Blizzard, but then I remember this is a PVP game. If this was in the hands of Sony or a competent dev team as a live service game with RPG elements and singleplayer storyline I would love that. Instead we get a few CGI trailers throughout OW1, a few lore comic books and now uh this weird thing.

They could make so much more money if they put the effort into it. But hey I guess a weird PVE mode is okay?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just confused as far as the visual upgrades and everything. Is OW1 going to stay on the older engine, or is it going to be the same across the board, with a paywall to the PvE stuff? Like, fundamentally, is OW1 going to look different to OW2? Or are they going to upgrade OW1 to be in parity with OW2?

That part needs clarified for sure. Pretty damn confusing.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
why would they want to keep updating the first game with the new maps and new characters instead of upgrading everyone to OW2 and locking owners of the first game out of single player content
Isn't that what I said though? All the new shit will likely only be available to OW2 license holders, just like a new expansion.

Yeah uhhh... OW1 players are getting all the new heroes and maps though?

I don't fucking know, dude. Shit's confusing.
I don't think he said that, specifically. Could be misremembering. They'll clarify I'm sure, but I think the implication is that the new shit will only be available to OW2 owners. No way no to know for sure until they clarify.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
OW1 business as usual.

Buy OW2 for updated graphics and PvE.

Not really confusing at all.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't understand why they had to call it OW2. It could have just been an expansion but I expect they get more sales putting a 2 on it.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So Overwatch 2 IS a new SKU and new game by the looks of it, but in terms of how it unlocks and operates content, it seems to function exactly like a WoW expansion. Cross play and carryover with OW1/the base game, but all NEW shit will only come to those who buy OW2. Right?

No, both games get new shit. PvE is the only thing OW1 is locked out of due to engine limitations (and money).

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, if I understand right... OW2 will be sold seperately, not a free update of OW1, since they mentioned OW1 & OW2 players can play together?
I'm curious if OW2 will have a graphical upgrade, it was hard to tell in the video. Also wonder if that would that mean that OW1 players will see OW2 players with their updated appearances?

OP
OP
Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I don't mean to sound rude but either get someone else or have Jeff Kaplan take a speech class. It's funny for videos and stuff but when he's on a live stage, god it's irritating. "Overwatch 2....is....something.....Special. It's so....an amazing experience. I know you all...want to hear more about it...hows it going to work.....Let me...tell you. Overwatch 2 and its community has been great.......and we're proud to bring you something equally great.....we can't to tell you more.....which we will right now....this is how we change sequels....Sequels are interesting......."

Like holy fuck dude. Can we just leave this guy for video explanations only and get someone else on stage? I feel like I'm listening to the awkward freshman kid giving a presentation in high school. I just want it to end the second it begins.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah uhhh... OW1 players are getting all the new heroes and maps though?

I don't fucking know, dude. Shit's confusing.
I don't think he said that. They'll clarify I'm sure, but I think the implication is that the new shit will only be available to new
No, both games get new shit. PvE is the only thing OW1 is locked out of due to engine limitations (and money).
Did they say this specifically anywhere for sure yet? Press release? Sounds good if so!

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he said that. They'll clarify I'm sure, but I think the implication is that the new shit will only be available to new

Did they say this specifically anywhere for sure yet? Press release? Sounds good if so!

Jeff stated so during the announcement.

I would assume at some point they'll cut support for OW1 and move to OW2 only, though.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I don't mean to sound rude but either get someone else or have Jeff Kaplan take a speech class. It's funny for videos and stuff but when he's on a live stage, god it's irritating. "Overwatch 2....is....something.....Special. It's so....an amazing experience. I know you all...want to hear more about it...hows it going to work.....Let me...tell you. Overwatch 2 and its community has been great.......and we're proud to bring you something equally great.....we can't to tell you more.....which we will right now....this is how we change sequels....Sequels are interesting......."

Like holy fuck dude. Can we just leave this guy for video explanations only and get someone else on stage? I feel like I'm listening to the awkward freshman kid give his first speech in high school. I just want it to end the second it begins.

It feels charmingly natural...the rest sound like robots running through their teleprompter lines.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Guess they ain't streaming the Diablo panel on Youtube. That's a bummer. Can't get to anything else while at work.

OP
OP
Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
It feels charmingly natural...the rest sound like robots running through their teleprompter lines.
No one sounded like a robot on stage. Kaplan feels like he's on the edge of sweating all the time. I guess I can't stand people who just jabber and don't get to the point. You can be charming and direct. Now I see why its a meme to speed up his Overwatch explanation videos. And why does he act like every new word is the beginning of a new sentence?