• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think that the creation of the Lich King itself probably created a hole between the Shadowlands and the physical realm. That's why he was so absurdly powerful in the first place.

It's a light retcon, but it sure makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original implication.
How does it make more sense? The Lich King was able to use his powers to control the already undead and create more undead. When the Lich King dies, that giant army of undead things would roam and cause havoc. The idea is there must always be a Lich King because that army is quite unstoppable.

But now he was a nexus for the Shadowlands? The fuck? Ha. Blizzard is creatively bankrupt.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Still shook at that D4 trailer. It really was some dark shit. I felt like I was reading a fantasy horror short story. Loved it.

How does it make more sense? The Lich King was able to use his powers to control the already undead and create more undead. When the Lich King dies, that giant army of undead things would roam and cause havoc. The idea is there must always be a Lich King because that army is quite unstoppable.

But now he was a nexus for the Shadowlands? The fuck? Ha. Blizzard is creatively bankrupt.

He wasn't a nexus. It's possible the Helm is what created the undead problem and there needed to be a Lich King to wield it. The alternative was destroying the Helm, which was obviously a worse idea as we now see.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played the new map and mode. It's good. It's overwatch for sure. Lighting and textures looked much better though

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the creation of the Lich King itself probably created a hole between the Shadowlands and the physical realm. That's why he was so absurdly powerful in the first place.

It's a light retcon, but it sure makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original implication.
I disagree that it makes more sense, and I would be fine with light retcons in a bubble if it didn't happen so often.
I think there's also a difference in between not picking up the helmet and becoming a new Lich King, leaving the Scourge aimless, and tearing the damn thing in half.
I mean it's not like the helmet is some ancient unknown thing. It just has the twisted souls of Ner'zhul, Arthas, and Bolvar.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The Scourge is a faction, there are undead and fall under the umbrella of the Undead. The Lich King has God necromatic powers from Kil'Jaeden and Ner'zhul's own magic. The Lich King can control any undead unless there's a breaking of bonds similar to what the Forsaken are. To the Lich King, there's only two types of Undead: Forsaken and everything else.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
The Scourge is a faction, there are undead and fall under the umbrella of the Undead. The Lich King has God necromatic powers from Kil'Jaeden and Ner'zhul's own magic. The Lich King can control any undead unless there's a breaking of bonds similar to what the Forsaken are. To the Lich King, there's only two types of Undead: Forsaken and everything else.
So what? The point is that undead don't need to be control but the Scourge do. You are also ignoring Death Knights.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So what? The point is that undead don't need to be control but the Scourge do. You are also ignoring Death Knights.
Undead do because undead roam and attack. The Lich King specifically acts as a way to make them docile so they don't roam around the country side killing things. The Lich King's reach is global.

The Death Knights are just necromatic infused beings. They're basically warrior liches, and anyone can become a Lich. it's just tiers to the magic similar to how there's a different ranks of sorcerers from mage to archmage. The Lich King is just the pinnacle of necromatic magic in the known story (but that's retconned too lul).

It's a hilarious retcon in a series of retcons Blizzarrd does. Don't try to even make sense of it.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one sounded like a robot on stage. Kaplan feels like he's on the edge of sweating all the time. I guess I can't stand people who just jabber and don't get to the point. You can be charming and direct. Now I see why its a meme to speed up his Overwatch explanation videos. And why does he act like every new word is the beginning of a new sentence?

Lol I think you're the first person I've ever seen who doesn't like Jeff or how Jeff speaks. Tonme it's super refreshing. He's being real.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Undead do because undead roam and attack. The Lich King specifically acts as a way to make them docile so they don't roam around the country side killing things. The Lich King's reach is global.

The Death Knights are just necromatic infused beings. They're basically warrior liches, and anyone can become a Lich. it's just tiers to the magic similar to how there's a different ranks of sorcerers from mage to archmage. The Lich King is just the pinnacle of necromatic magic in the known story (but that's retconned too lul).

It's a hilarious retcon in a series of retcons Blizzarrd does. Don't try to even make sense of it.
Undead don't have to roam and attack, The Scourge is the only that did that en-masse. The rest of the Undead's personality rely purely on the form of necromancy. The point about Death Knights is that they don't need to be controlled to not go on murder sprees like the Forsaken and unlike the Forsaken.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Was really hoping we'd be playing D4 in the next year or two, but seems that's not the case. Ah well, as long as it comes out great.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Even without the Hong Kong stuff looming over everything, that felt pretty weak considering the potential this Blizzcon had.

So much weird stuff going on. Immortal, of course, hidden away. Reforged in some sort of limbo. An autochess, after hype for the whole genre seems to have died down. Lots of confusion around the OW2 branding.

You can pretty much feel the "restructuring" that happened this year in everything.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like the helmet is some ancient unknown thing. It just has the twisted souls of Ner'zhul, Arthas, and Bolvar.

The helm was crafted by the demons (most likely Kil'Jaeden since he put Ner'zhul in there) in order to create the Lich King. It's not just some haunted helmet they found in the corner and stuck in a block of ice.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I had to stop watching because it was so unbearable and the crowd so gullible, had to leave and do something more positive. When will the Q&As happen?

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diablo looked pretty good but too bad it's made by a shitty company with horrible values.

So yeah, fuck china and fuck blizzard.
Free Hong Kong!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Undead don't have to roam and attack, The Scourge is the only that did that en-masse. The rest of the Undead's personality rely purely on the form of necromancy. The point about Death Knights is that they don't need to be controlled to not go on murder sprees like the Forsaken and unlike the Forsaken.
A death knight is just a lich warrior. And they don't have to roam and attack but they do. They always do.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah even with how confident blizzard has been that people don't have the principles to care about Hong Kong over video games, I really expected a stronger showing from them.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017

Was it ever explained why the original Lich King didn't want his minions to be causing havoc?

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
A death knight is just a lich warrior. And they don't have to roam and attack but they do. They always do.
What? The original point is that the Lich King created the scourge and needs to be there to contain the scourge, makes sense in lore. Scourge undead go around slaughtering whatever, Death Knights/Forsaken clearly don't

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I really love that each zone emphasizes one part of the death magic/lore that has been present forever. This xpac should clarify how death magic works between all the other things that use it (valkyr, bwonsomdi, etc.) so I am pretty damn hyped. Having 4 totally different covenant campaigns is also super cool.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
this. And genuine curiosity about Overwatch 2 poss looking good. Didn't get any of them.

Yea. Gotta remember the people who actually get inside Blizzcon are MASSIVE Blizzard fans. They've come from all over the world and spent a lot of money to go in there and experience it. Kind of like people who love Apple so much and won't boycott them despite bending over for China as well.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else watch the Quarter Century of Warcraft Audio panel? Super cool shit.

It's possible that they are going to stick with their original plan of quietly releasing it in Chinese territories and leaving it at that.

Unless someone here has actually found demo stations at this years convention.
That was the original plan? I mean, I'd still play it. I expect millions in North America would too.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that they are going to stick with their original plan of quietly releasing it in Chinese territories and leaving it at that.

Unless someone here has actually found demo stations at this years convention.
There are demo stations and they're actually more full than last year due to the d4 announcement

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This is false.

The Helm of Dominion only controls undeads raised by the helm's wielder. We have seen that every "arcane" has its own version of undeath and they don't necessarily mingle (Life/Death, Ligh/Void and Fel/Arcane). As such only the Scourge answer's to the Helm's call and the Forsaken were shielded by Sylvanas but she's now gone (there's a reason the forsakens say "The Dark Lady watches over us").

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Was hoping for Heartstone on the Switch and a new Diablo, even if Immortal!

At least Overwatch 2 is coming

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What? The original point is that the Lich King created the scourge and needs to be there to contain the scourge, makes sense in lore. Scourge undead go around slaughtering whatever, Death Knights/Forsaken clearly don't
The Death Knughts and some undead become passive and untethered from the Lich King's control. The Lich King controls more than just the restless scourge.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This is false.

The Helm of Dominion only controls undeads raised by the helm's wielder. We have seen that every "arcane" has its own version of undeath and they don't necessarily mingle (Life/Death, Ligh/Void and Fel/Arcane). As such only the Scourge answer's to the Helm's call and the Forsaken were shielded by Sylvanas but she's now gone (there's a reason the forsakens say "The Dark Lady watches over us").
That's a weird retcon from Legion.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No it isn't. We have had undeath in the game prior to Legion (and more specifically before the Chronicles) that had nothing to do with The Lich King and the helm of Dominion.

You just call it a retcon because you associate the two.
The Lich King can control ANY undead. The Lich King can grant free will. Illidan caused the Forsaken and other free willed Undead when he caused the earthquake in Northrend to crack the throne and release energy.