• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The premise of Dum spiro, at the hands of Bloober, sounds like a class action suit waiting to happen. I hope I'm wrong and they get nuance and compassion.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
How big is the studio anyhow? h20 is Layers 3, medieval aliens is absolutely not SH, and Lord almighty, please do not allow Dum Spiro be the Silent Hill gamešŸ™

4 projects for a mid size studio seems like quite a lot, and BLACK is surely not going to be a small production if we are getting actual combat.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Bloober is a polish studio, right? I feel it's a little premature to write off Dum Spiro from just that blurb, as that seems like a story they would have the most exposure to.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I think H20 is actually Layers of Fear 2? It mentions an artistic theme and the character in that game was an actor. And H20 as a codename would make sense since it took place on a ship.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Btw I do not think H20 is Layers of Fear 3.

I think it is Layers of Fear 2.

The grant was issued in 2018 and LoF2 was released in 2019.

Also worth noting that Bloober Team had ideas for The Medium as far back as 2013?

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I also found this. Apparently Bloober Team only received 46% of grant funding for Dum Spiro?

K8ZEcWx.png

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first Layers Of Fear, and really enjoyed Observer, Observer was one of the first games to make me feel scared for essentially jump scaring my senses. The rest have been....well Layers Of Fear 2 was average as hell and never finished Witch on Gamepass.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Or you know, Bloober's way of handling mental health and abuse is absolutely disgusting and people don't want to support them. Doesn't help that their games are thoroughly mediocre either.

Twitter thread about The Medium:

This thread ignoring key parts of the story though.

"the trauma that lily experiences due to richard then creates "the maw" - a monster that eventually runs amok and possesses several people nearby lily, who then go on rampages and murder indiscriminately" glosses over a super important event in the story. "The Maw" only is able to run amok and kill people because Lily makes a deal with it enabling it to do so. Lily and her sister are caught in a house fire and about to die when she unleashes "The Maw", which saves them but is free to go off and murder. That's why Lily feels guilty. She explicitly talks about feeling bad that she traded her life for other peoples'.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
BLACK sounds like a type of game I've wanted since I was a kid.

Dum Spiro strikes me as a game almost no company would try to make, hope they handle it well.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Adn they are working on multiple Silent Hill games and other games. EMMMMMMM..
Yeah I beleive everything.

BLACK sounds like a type of game I've wanted since I was a kid.

Dum Spiro strikes me as a game almost no company would try to make, hope they handle it well.

Ther is alerady a game called Black. I don't know how they can use the same name for their enw game.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adn they are working on multiple Silent Hill games and other games. EMMMMMMM..
Yeah I beleive everything.

Ther is alerady a game called Black. I don't know how they can use the same name for their enw game.
These projects got funding years ago. H2O (Layers of Fear 2) is already released. Black and Dum Spiro are just codenames too, not final names.

Also, they aren't working on multiple Silent Hill games.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So are we supposed to believe these guys are suddenly making three games AND new Silent Hill?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
These projects got funding years ago. H2O (Layers of Fear 2) is already released. Black and Dum Spiro are just codenames too, not final names.

Also, they aren't working on multiple Silent Hill games.

How does that EU website work, do they updated once projects are released? Cause if not then Dum Spiro is probably what eventually became The Medium and Black being the latest one is whatever they're releasing next.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Or you know, Bloober's way of handling mental health and abuse is absolutely disgusting and people don't want to support them. Doesn't help that their games are thoroughly mediocre either.

Twitter thread about The Medium:

Can we keep this in the other thread? There's no point inviting a pile on every single time they get mentioned. Not every game they're working on in this list handles themes around mental health and abuse.

yes, they've messed up in one game. Doesn't mean they can't learn, won't learn or can't improve.

I say let them work on their games, and then boycott if reviews show there's no improvement.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can we keep this in the other thread?

Not when someone literally asked, in this very thread, what was with the negativity towards the developer.

yes, they've messed up in one game. Doesn't mean they can't learn, won't learn or can't improve.

Not just one game though is it? These issues were in Layers of Fear, they were in Blair Witch, they were in Layers of Fear 2, and they were most concentrated in The Medium, their highest profile game yet.

It's important that people are aware of issues with their past games so stop thread policing please.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

As I said, what I read of that thread wasn't people who'd played The Medium and were concerned about the direction of the writing, a lot of discussion around Silent Hill has been ridiculous ever since that first rumour surfaced.

If that WWII game turns out to be Silent Hill then there's reason to be extremely sceptical

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Can we keep this in the other thread? There's no point inviting a pile on every single time they get mentioned. Not every game they're working on in this list handles themes around mental health and abuse.

I say let them work on their games, and then boycott if reviews show there's no improvement.

Their other games are also filled with the same mishandled awful ugliness same as The Medium.

It's a consistent pattern with this team.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Their other games are also filled with the same mishandled awful ugliness same as The Medium.

It's a consistent pattern with this team.

Exactly.

Were The Medium their first game, I'd still be appalled by their careless and hurtful handling of such sensitive material, but I'd give more hope to them potentially learning from that and approaching and depicting things better in whatever comes next.

Except this isn't the first time it's happened. It's not even the second. Or third.