• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Can't afford this right now with Rage 2 coming on Tuesday. I'll be grabbing it for sure later though. Just played through the game a little while ago via BuildGDX. Amazing game that anyone who enjoys 90's shooters should try!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it for $4.99. I guess owning the original gives you a 50% discount?

Edit: Okay, I see that it is.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yes, after recently playing through Duke 3D on hardest difficulty, this is gonna be so awesome!

(Except Shakedown Hawaii and Yakuza Kiwami 2 just came out within the last day or two, so my backlog is insane right now...)

Nov 2, 2017
If you restart Steam you should get a coupon for 50% that expires in a month.
Thanks! I actually may pick this up for both Steam and GOG with discounts in tow.

Update: Just purchased on GOG with discount but then realized I don't actually own One Unit Whole Blood on Steam haha. Will plan to get that version at another time. Hope to play this tonight but look forward to seeing first impressions of Fresh Supply.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Hats off to whoever approved the loyalty discount.

I'll be playing it on my GPD Win 2.

Now, if only they could port NOLF games and Saturn Powerslave they'd become NightDgods.

Oct 27, 2017
Those details in the OP are great.

I can't believe we finally got a rerelease. Game is amazing and we'll deserves this.

Get it people!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Put about an hour in.

It is extremely buggy. Sounds constantly loop, enemies will play the shooting animation but never shoot, walking around in general is very glitchy, and a host of other problems.

The DOS version is much more stable and bug free.

Ugh.

This wasn't ready for release.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Put about an hour in.

It is extremely buggy. Sounds constantly loop, enemies will play the shooting animation but never shoot, walking around in general is very glitchy, and a host of other problems.

Ugh.

This is going against every opinion I have read so far (not that I am doubting you btw) can you explain in more detail?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I cant even fathom playing this with a controller. If by absurd they;ll port it to consoles, it would just exist, but it wont be very fun to play. This game challenges you to the extreme if you're well versed on mouse and keyboard.

Its a 90's fps designed through and through for a pc. Thats what you need to use for this.

Not really true. This was still time before mouselook was even a thing. And build engine didn't properly handle up and down looking anyways.

Would play great on a pad.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Put about an hour in.

Ugh.

Greetings, can you explain this in more detail? This report is rather curious as the behaviour you're describing is rather erratic and strange. In fact the part where you say that enemies will play animations but not shoot seems extra strange because shooting is a behaviour tied directly to animations for most enemies. So either a specific enemy broke or you're missing some piece of vital information that will make this more clear.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Put about an hour in.

Ugh.

I've played a few of Nightdive's earlier re-releases and they've been excellent. I hope they can sort out your issues.

I'mmabuy the game anyway.

edit: Played for a few minutes. Seems like another good re-release. It's especially nice to have something on par with a source-port in such an easy install package.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Put about an hour in.

Ugh.

Just a thought, have you tried disabling the 60fps lock in graphics options? Wondering if that might fix it.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Does the death wish mod work with this? That campaign is about a million times better than the official one.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love that it has full ultrawide support with no fuss.

BTW, what does the interpolation setting do? The framerate seems better with it enabled even though the in-game FPS meter doesn't change. I suspect this matters so I'll say that I have I have a >60hz monitor.

edit: The only bug I've seen so far is that applying new video settings blacks out my screen until I alt-tab out and back in.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Greetings, can you explain this in more detail? This report is rather curious as the behaviour you're describing is rather erratic and strange. In fact the part where you say that enemies will play animations but not shoot seems extra strange because shooting is a behaviour tied directly to animations for most enemies. So either a specific enemy broke or you're missing some piece of vital information that will make this more clear.

Unrelated to this post, do you think it's possible to implement hud resizing in a future patch? (like in the DB with - & + keys?)

Fantastic port btw!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Played two levels and it ran mostly fine. Noticed some FPS drops in the second level, but after that, no problem at all.

Also, this shit is hard. First time I'm playing it and I have been killed many times.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Unrelated to this post, do you think it's possible to implement hud resizing in a future patch? (like in the DB with - & + keys?)

Fantastic port btw!
Hmm, maybe. Can't promise anything but there's at least a possible short cut; the HUD is drawn as a single 320x200 render target, then we scale it up and morph the aspect ratio, giving us pixel perfect alignments on all the fonts and textures on it. We might be able to make that resize step dynamic.

Works perfectly, just drop it into the Add-ons folder then load it through 'manage addons' in the game options.

Just note there is a known crash in deathwish on one of the later maps, a player start has no assigned sector (we assume this was causing an out of bounds access in DOS, which of course is inconsequential in that OS but lethal now). Should be fixed on a new patch.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
This source port kicks ass. It's everything and more of what I've wanted for Blood. Good work, Kaiser!

And yeah, Doom's hitscanners got nuthin' on Blood's. Extra Crispy is fun, but takes forever when you have to quick save/load so much.

FuzzySlippers

Feb 13, 2018
Is coop just with console commands or does it integrate with Steam friends stuff? Trying to decide which version to get

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is coop just with console commands or does it integrate with Steam friends stuff? Trying to decide which version to get
Of course it integrates Steam friends/matchmaking, as well as GOG Galaxy stuff on the GOG side. I wouldn't have rewritten the entire netcode and just have you still using the command prompt. :P
(You can create direct IP games through the console if you really want to, though)

Last edited:

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Had a few crashes but it seems they stopped once I switched to Vulkan. Just had time to hop on multiplayer for 30 minutes and it worked pretty well. Can't wait to put in more time.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Not really true. This was still time before mouselook was even a thing. And build engine didn't properly handle up and down looking anyways.

Would play great on a pad.

It wasnt before mouse look was a thing, lol. Its Quake 2 times. I speak from experience playing the game multiple times over the years. And i bought this one too. Play great on a pad is the farthest thing from reality. The speed of the character alone would probably make you bump into every corner and wall by simply trying to walk through a door.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
It's only $10?

That is amazing.

I've tried to play my GoG version of Blood so many times, but it always had some problem or another with emulation/mouse smoothing/sound etc. I always ended up giving up after 5-6 levels.

However, other than the bugs, it was probably the best FPS from that era I have played other than Doom. It's better the Duke and better than Shadow Warrior.

I can't wait to jump in on this .

Yeah, the DOS version on GOG and Steam. I had to do a lot of fixes just get mouse look, screen resolution and fix the sound volume(really loud).

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Blood is one of the classic FPS games that passed me by. I'm having some issues though. I typically play Doom WADs on Ultra Violence with no save scumming, but I'm finding the hit scanners in Blood oppressive to the point where I almost feel like I'm not playing it correctly. In terms of raw difficulty, what's the Blood equivalent to Ultra Violence? Also, is this game intended to be played with vertical mouselook? It always feels wrong to me in sprite games, so if it works just as well without it I'll switch to that.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Blood is one of the classic FPS games that passed me by. I'm having some issues though. I typically play Doom WADs on Ultra Violence with no save scumming, but I'm finding the hit scanners in Blood oppressive to the point where I almost feel like I'm not playing it correctly. In terms of raw difficulty, what's the Blood equivalent to Ultra Violence? Also, is this game intended to be played with vertical mouselook? It always feels wrong to me in sprite games, so if it works just as well without it I'll switch to that.
Build games are fine and dandy with vmlook, they were always playable like that.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Hmm, maybe. Can't promise anything but there's at least a possible short cut; the HUD is drawn as a single 320x200 render target, then we scale it up and morph the aspect ratio, giving us pixel perfect alignments on all the fonts and textures on it. We might be able to make that resize step dynamic.

Excellent, fingers crossed that it can be implemented.

I appreciate the response, thank you.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This was still time before mouselook was even a thing. And build engine didn't properly handle up and down looking anyways.
Mouselook was already a thing on Build games, even if was true only on horizontal axis because the engine basically faked looking up and down - and to be honest, probably for this limitation mlook is still janky in Build sourceports... and that's frustating, considering that today the GZDoom engine has a full working mlook - even if the original game had only the horizontal one.

I don't know if the Kex Engine renders at full 3D like GZDoom or it's still 2.5D, however.