• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just finished an all-chapters play of Blood using BloodGDX but I will get this at some point.

For anyone who can't wait for Mac/Linux builds, GDX will work with the original GOG release.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn, I forgot just how hard this game is! Really enjoying it though its been years and years.
Yeah, same here. I knew it was kind of difficult, but I was having trouble playing on anything but the lowest difficulty. I think I'll try playing through the entire game on the lowest difficulty and start another run on the next difficulty level up, but I don't foresee myself being able to finish it that way.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Redneck Rampage next ;)
MV5BYWM5ZTQzNjAtOTg5Mi00ZjAxLThhZmEtODBiNDllODZjNDgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQzNDEyOQ@@._V1_.jpg
"I'm on you like stink on shit!"

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I bit the bullet and started getting the DOSBOX version configured last night, and what a pain-in-the-ass that is. I really hope Nightdive sticks with this and can get most of the issues patched. Things like incorrect damage values make me think Fresh Supply is best avoided for now, even though it's way more convenient to play.

Despite my frustrations, I'm loving the game. Things like emphasizing TNT or making the flare gun do DoT make it feel really unique. I'm digging the bizarre, grotesque aesthetic too. I can see why it has a cult following.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, same here. I knew it was kind of difficult, but I was having trouble playing on anything but the lowest difficulty. I think I'll try playing through the entire game on the lowest difficulty and start another run on the next difficulty level up, but I don't foresee myself being able to finish it that way.

Try the "Made to Order" difficulty. ;)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing Civvie's video and knowing that I'm about as anal about Blood as he is, I'll probably wait till everything is fixed. The core elements seem to be well translated, but there are so many things off, like those misplaced mid-air explosions, wrong animations and certain sponge-like enemies. Not to mention that the blood effects of all things seem to be either reduced or not properly working.

It's the music and ambient sounds
Back in the day I had a Philips CD-RW unit back in the day that came with play, pause, stop, back and forward buttons for music playing without Window's craptacular multimedia software. Blood's audio tracks were on rotation. Fucking evil they were. And the MIDI versions weren't half bad with an AWE32 sound card.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone getting weird stutters occasionally? 7700k and 2080, at 1440p. It SEEMS like turning off ambient occlusion fixed it, but it needs more testing.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
How could they miss stuff like the tesla gun shooting 4 bullets instead of 5?
Same way they botched the alt-fire of the flare gun. From what I've looked, it looks pretty rushed.

Damn shame, because I really like some of the stuff they did in other areas, like the extra voxel work. At least they are listening to the fans, so I expect ND to patch those issues.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my regular Blood from GoG doesn't update to this?

And I tried replying a few months ago and kept running out of ammo. Game is no joke.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Re: difficulty.

Blood is a real bastard of a game. Evil to the marrow.

It was also wicked fast for the era. It was one of the few 2.5D games to have vertical aiming on top of being very, very unforgiving. It's closer in many ways to Doom's most recent incarnations than it is to Duke Nukem 3D despite using the Build engine. There were times where you couldn't get yourself out of a room even with akimbo napalm launchers/shooties.

If you haven't played Blood before and/or you are not as picky as some of us old farts are, you should totally get this. It's FPS nirvana with a shitton of nerdy references, crazy level design and a monstruous vibe that trascends its primitive graphics. And the gameplay seems very, very close to the original despite some odd divergences that may be patched down the line.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I really love that NDS implemented split screen multiplayer in this game, that's a feature the original didn't have, and it's such an overlooked feature on PC games these days, can't help but appreciate it

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
How could they miss stuff like the tesla gun shooting 4 bullets instead of 5?
It actually shoots both 4 and 5 in the original DOS release, and the QAV matches this logic (it's not something we programmed, the animation is what defined it, and we are using the animations unedited). What's happening is actually the result of botched framerate logic from the original game, but because with the updated engine the framerate timings are more accurate and, for that matter, fixed, it now results in the animation always completing its cycles exactly on the same counts, so it always produces 4 shots instead of the DOS versions 4 or 5. Yes, whether it fired 4 or 5 in DOS was entirely based on your actual framerate.
Same way they botched the alt-fire of the flare gun. From what I've looked, it looks pretty rushed.

Damn shame, because I really like some of the stuff they did in other areas, like the extra voxel work. At least they are listening to the fans, so I expect ND to patch those issues.
The port wasn't rushed, it was always going to end up like this on initial launch, the logistics of porting an entire game from disassembly without documentation is quite complicated, especially when the code base had a lot of arbitrary dead code. We are only human and can only do so much with what we have on hand.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I've played a bunch of it and think it's fine and that Nightdive did a great job. There is always going to be super specific issues for purists when you are porting a 20 year old game to an entire new engine. I think they should do what they can to fix those but it also has to be recognized that most of these issues aren't noticeable for 99% of people.

Oct 28, 2017
It actually shoots both 4 and 5 in the original DOS release, and the QAV matches this logic (it's not something we programmed, the animation is what defined it, and we are using the animations unedited). What's happening is actually the result of botched framerate logic from the original game, but because with the updated engine the framerate timings are more accurate and, for that matter, fixed, it now results in the animation always completing its cycles exactly on the same counts, so it always produces 4 shots instead of the DOS versions 4 or 5. Yes, whether it fired 4 or 5 in DOS was entirely based on your actual framerate.

The port wasn't rushed, it was always going to end up like this on initial launch, the logistics of porting an entire game from disassembly without documentation is quite complicated, especially when the code base had a lot of arbitrary dead code. We are only human and can only do so much with what we have on hand.

Thank you for the hard work! I've never played the original before, so this is a great way to experience it! I look forward to see the further improvements (mostly to sound volume and music not playing) you guys make.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017

I love getting this insight! Very cool to hear why things happen the way they do. Thanks for the responses.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
The first update, version 1.8.8 has shipped. Changes:

• Fix video crash when switching from OpenGL to other renderers,
  • Fluidsynth now loads MIDI internally, resolving some instances of user crashes depending on the user's directory name,
  • Fix CD audio music not being present when reloading a level,
  • Fix MP monster settings not being respected,
  • Change "Show Player Weapons" to "Show Player Weapons Overhead",
  • Fix armour being affected by friendly fire if friendly fire was switched off,
  • Remove the three extra recoil SFX for Cultists,
  • Tesla blast projectile now renders as flat - adding custom definition entry for making it always pitch towards the viewer,
  • Bug fix with TNT/Spray can disappearing when exploding in hands while on the last ammo,
  • Removing the run glitch feature,
  • Fixed incorrect negative shade for candles, causing the sprite effect to appear brighter,
  • Removed the pre-fire animation for tesla weapon,
  • Removed the morphing animation for gargoyle statues,
  • Stone gargoyle now uses the correct recoil SFX,
  • Lightly Broiled is now always the default selected menu item when entering the difficulty menu,
  • Akimbo Napalm weapon now plays the correct firing animation as seen in DOS version 1.21 (was using the old 1.0 one),
  • Fix taunting when killing enemies with TNT not working,
  • Stop players using power ups when dead,
  • Disallow Quickloading if no saves are available to load,
  • Fix a bug that caused a crash at the start of Death Wish E2M1,
  • Autorun state is now saved between sessions,
  • Fix the FoV slider being uncapped when using the arrow keys or controller,
  • Key sprites now default to full shade values,
  • Importing updated extra voxels,
  • Major revision to virtual vram system and shaders. Height is now only padded for wall textures now. Fixes tiling issues with non power of 2 texture widths,
  • Padded textures and normal textures are now treated as separate virtual vram entries. Fixes issue with the monolith logo in the save game menu being distorted while in E3M2,
  • Concussion damage is now scaled against tick scale, making gibbing to occur more easily,
  • Changed jump height for getting out of water back to the original height. This broke E2M2,
  • Shade value for walls with back wall swap flag is now accounted for,
  • Proper shade and palette values are now inherited from sprite to voxels (they now appear correct in DWE3M1),
  • Texture UV mapping fixed for E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E3M2, E1M8,
  • Fix a bug that would allow loading in multiplayer,
  • Fix issue when moving between menus if the current selected menu entry is too high or low,
  • Players are now always respawned with 100 health, regardless of what the level start has,
  • Spraycan and HellHound missiles now deal correct damage type and burn time,
  • Tesla weapon now fires one extra projectile at the end of its firing animation,
  • All TNT/Prox/Remote/dynamite explosions now play the correct sprite if not colliding with the floor first,
  • Fix players being able to cheat to acquire the E3M1 no-civilians-killed achievement,
  • Add support for private and friend lobbies,
  • Add missing Cerberus electrocution state,
  • Jumping boots now negate all pummel (includes fall) damage,
  • Make sure zombies are changed into dead actors on death, restores knockback force in the DOS version,
  • Add load screen messages when loading fails; allow loading from specific older versions. If, in this case, you want to load saves from the previous Fresh Supply version please type `developer 1` in console, load, save over your old save, then type `developer 0` in console.
  • Fixing timing of burn damage,
  • Enemies now correctly avoid water,
  • Fixing DWE2M1 bug with player start spawns,
  • Duplicate addon paths are now checked for,
  • Key 7 is now defined,
  • Remove a specific voxel on E2M2,
  • Scale voxels at the same ratio as sprites,
  • Show extra info in lobby list,
  • Pressing use now performs a standard hitscan operation. This resolves some issues in DWE1M9.

This update breaks your saves. I bolded the patch note with instructions for loading saves from the previous version.

I especially appreciate that ND is putting in work to fix problems with running Death Wish. It's common for remasters or even just major patches to screw up good mods, but Fresh Supply is making Death Wish work despite running on a radically different code base.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

Eh.

I hope the next patch fixes the textures. Blood is an incredibly brown game, but for some reason so many textures appear crimson, leading to an oddly oversaturated look. If they can mend that and the flare gun, they'll sell another copy.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Hoping the issues get fixed soon, this patch is a step in the right direction but still a lot of things that need fixing.

Nightdive are a great studio and I know they will be listening to the community and especially someone like Civvie (who is frankly the best person to speak to about issues with blood) to get them fixed ASAP.

I am going to put down the game for now until these problems are fixed but I am looking forward to when they are because other than the issues already mentioned they have done a fantastic job modernising it.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Not having a good time with first impressions. Quick Save for me causes a crash constantly and for whatever reason on death I can't start a new life. Unless it's a crazy keyboard bind, spacebar, e, enter, none of those work.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of the old school shooters i never got around to...

played like an hour and damn it's no joke. may have to take the difficulty down which i never do with these games

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is there a way to clear key binds? Delete/escape/backspace don't work.
Press the same key again to unbind a control.

Not having a good time with first impressions. Quick Save for me causes a crash constantly and for whatever reason on death I can't start a new life. Unless it's a crazy keyboard bind, spacebar, e, enter, none of those work.
Press whatever you have bound to use to respawn (There's a 3 second delay before the action is accepted to prevent shock restarts). If you are getting a crash while saving, please send me the crash log, you'll find it in your Blood installation folder as anuket_x64.dmp.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Wow, this game is extremely hard or i've been getting soft. I'm playing on the third difficulty and getting my ass kicked.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Edward850 can you look into improving surround sound support? Last time i checked it was very shoddy (most of "frontal" sfx sounds from back speakers and sometimes vice versa), so i need to switch to stereo mode to hear something right. I know its a very old game, but some source ports have very good surround sound implementation (like Yamagi Quake 2 - https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/ or GZDoom)

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
For those who own it: Did someone try to use Reshade with this?
In BloodGDX, Reshade does not work, probably due to Java, and Blood needs a CRT shader bad.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have been loving this so far (never even played the original, don't ban me) but is it me or is Extra Crispy kind of impossible? You die almost instantly when faced with enemies equipped with guns and there isn't enough ammo to last you a single fight. Was that difficulty setting always as ridiculous as this?

Oh and is the main menu supposed to be dead silent?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Have been loving this so far (never even played the original, don't ban me) but is it me or is Extra Crispy kind of impossible? You die almost instantly when faced with enemies equipped with guns and there isn't enough ammo to last you a single fight. Was that difficulty setting always as ridiculous as this?

Oh and is the main menu supposed to be dead silent?
Yeah, I've read somewhere that extra crispy is intended for coop play. If not, it's still completely impossible without an absurd amount of save-scumming, which totally destroys any fun.

I found the following suggestion for a custom difficulty on the steam forums, and IMHO it makes the game a lot more fun for me. When starting a new game choose "MADE TO ORDER" difficulty and then set the following:

After much trial and error the following settings seemed to be challenging whilst still leaving the fun intact. Most importantly it removes the uber accurate cultist accuracy.

Player damage scale on high (medium if you need more leeway)
Enemy damage scale on low.
Enemy amount on very high.
All Cultist aggressions and weapon accuracies on low.

All other settings on medium (default).
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1010750/discussions/0/1649918058728474399/#c1649918058731345907

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850 can you look into improving surround sound support? Last time i checked it was very shoddy (most of "frontal" sfx sounds from back speakers and sometimes vice versa), so i need to switch to stereo mode to hear something right. I know its a very old game, but some source ports have very good surround sound implementation (like Yamagi Quake 2 - https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/ or GZDoom)
We actually have zero control over that. It's up to OpenAL to handle surround sound output, and if it doesn't work on your setup, then that's just that. Having said that I've recently found the OpenAL library we ship with has been acting a bit odd in a few places (notabley it seems to be singlehandedly responsible for audio attenuation problems in multiplayer) and are currently testing a new library, which seems to fix the issues, for compatibility. The new library may fix your supposed issues along with it if they are at all related (I can't verify that to any capacity). If it works out we'll chuck that in.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've read somewhere that extra crispy is intended for coop play. If not, it's still completely impossible without an absurd amount of save-scumming, which totally destroys any fun.

I found the following suggestion for a custom difficulty on the steam forums, and IMHO it makes the game a lot more fun for me. When starting a new game choose "MADE TO ORDER" difficulty and then set the following:

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1010750/discussions/0/1649918058728474399/#c1649918058731345907
Will try that out sometime. Currently going through the game on the setting below Extra Crispy (Well Done?) and I actually have quick save and load on Mouse 3 and 4 lol. It's a lot more manageable but you're still dead as quick as can be.

Found the super secret on the Carnival level. Love the good old days when games rewarded exploring every nook and cranny like that.

I wish the save system was a bit less old-school though. Could do with a date and screencap of where you left off.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
We actually have zero control over that. It's up to OpenAL to handle surround sound output, and if it doesn't work on your setup, then that's just that. Having said that I've recently found the OpenAL library we ship with has been acting a bit odd in a few places (notabley it seems to be singlehandedly responsible for audio attenuation problems in multiplayer) and are currently testing a new library, which seems to fix the issues, for compatibility. The new library may fix your supposed issues along with it if they are at all related (I can't verify that to any capacity). If it works out we'll chuck that in.
Thanks!
PS - yeah, GZDoom and Yamagi Quake 2 also using OpenAL