• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of those games I remember others playing when I was young, but I didn't have a PC at all. Same vein as Doom isn't it, not real 3D but ... I dunno the term for it, but you know what I mean?
Yep. It's kind of 2.5D. 2D projected images, essentially. It runs on the Build engine, like Duke Nukem 3D.

Oct 25, 2017
BloodGDX is amazing and has support for incredible mods like Death Wish, though having a proper re-release in the same vein as that is great for returning and new players.

Fantastic news.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is amazing and I'm mega hyped for it. Night Dive have been an amazing force at bringing back classic FPS games - see System Shock 1-2, Strife: Veteran Edition, Turok 1-2, Terra Nova, and now this. Thanks guys!

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Oh my god yes. Nightdive Studios are so amazing. I love them so much

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It was kind of too difficult?

Yeah. Way too many enemies with powerful hitscan weapons and you don't really get a clear idea where damage is coming from. The atmosphere, weapons, and Caleb are worth it, though.

Wouldn't surprise me, but how much of Night Dive's stuff has made it to consoles so far? Genuinely asking, as I don't recall seeing much but I typically buy their games on PC.

It'll probably come to Xbox One, as some of their past remasters have, but Night Dive has been weirdly reticent to port anything to PS4. I think they have a deal with Microsoft or something.

I only played a bit of the second game. How does this compare?

I'm a weirdo who actually likes the second game, but the first is infinitely better. Just be ready for dated graphics and lots of a really unappealing pinkish-brownish-purplish colour.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I wish Night Dive would clarify if this portends a source code release, but I'm very satisfied with this announcement. Kaiser and co. do excellent work on classic FPSes, more than we deserve, and Blood's one of the best from its era. This seems like the best excuse to finally sit down and play the Death Wish level pack since that's one of the best fan mods in the community.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's incredible, played the shit out of it as a kid, Redneck Rampage too. :p
PC is fine but I wouldn't mind a console version too, Duke 3D actually played surprisingly well.

Nov 8, 2017
It's nice to see this happening as I still have the dozens of maps I made back in the day, but I feel like BloodGDX already beat them to it.

Compatibility with original user maps and Linux support are essential if I'm even going to look at this (BloodGDX has both).

I think all Build games had mouse look option if you check keyboard bidings (you needed to toggle it with some key).
Blood had mouse support, but it feels really weird due to the Build engine not being true 3D. Instead of having a camera that rotates up and down, it's more like the field of view stretches beyond the top and bottom of the screen, so playing is kinda like viewing the center part of a portrait photo to fill the screen of a landscape monitor. Looking up and down just pans up and down the picture to see the top and bottom parts, but the actual picture itself doesn't change and is always looking directly forward.

BloodGDX also solved this issue too.

Last edited:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Well they got my money. I got excited for a second, as I for some reason read it as remake instead of remaster, but hey this is cool too.

Would absolutely love a sequel though man. The game's atmosphere and art with today's technology could really shine.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly Mouse Look. I believe Blood was just before it took hold.
Blood has mouselook and that's the standard way I play it. However it feels pretty crappy because of Build's shitty mouse feel. There is a program called bmouse that's supposed to help these games' mouse support but it still feels bad.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to finally getting into this.

Between this and Ion Maiden its going to be a good year for old school shooters next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I've tried playing Blood a few times over the past couple years, and just couldn't get into it due to technical issues. There's a source port out there that is pretty decent, but it's still unfinished as of the time I last checked.

I've been pretty impressed with Night Dive's previous work, so I have high hopes for this one. They do great work preserving the feel of older games while making them much more accessible on modern machines and controllers.

Now I just hope that PowerSlave is next. The EX version of it is good, but has really bad mouse issues on Windows 10.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Crudux cruo!

Such a great game with so many details to appreciate, from the level design and all the secrets to the many references to other works of horror. The weapons, the one-liners, and of course the amazing atmosphere and visual aesthetic... Blood is so fantastic and really seems like it was a labor of love for everyone involved.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I missed out on a bunch of games including this one back in the day, I can't wait to try it out for the first time.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
I think all Build games had mouse look option if you check keyboard bidings (you needed to toggle it with some key).
Blood has mouselook and that's the standard way I play it. However it feels pretty crappy because of Build's shitty mouse feel. There is a program called bmouse that's supposed to help these games' mouse support but it still feels bad.

Cheers. It may just have felt off then. I can hang fire till the remaster comes out and see if that works any better.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something that concerns me is modding. Blood has a strong modding community, and mods are compatible with the existing BloodGDX engine port. But will they work with this new engine?

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
"Looks like my train's come in."

Currently playing it a bit with BloodGDX + a portable java package and it pretty much runs flawlessly but looking forward to Steamworks coop multiplayer.