• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Ooooooooh, it's looking good.......I'm predicting 7s and 8s...... It'll have some limitations, be linear as hell, but it's bombastic ways will win people over....

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Quite curious to see how this will review. It won't be another Astro Bot - the pre-release buzz clearly isn't on the same level - but I think it will fare well with critics for the most part.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
A little bummed out to learn that the game comes out a day later in the UK than everywhere else, not sure why they've done that.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
When are the reviews embargoed until? If this was an absolute belter, I feel like reviewers would be allowed to shout it from the rooftops by now.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
When are the reviews embargoed until? If this was an absolute belter, I feel like reviewers would be allowed to shout it from the rooftops by now.
Reviews are embargoed for Tuesday.
VR games usually face harsher criticism in reviews so there's less chance for looking good on MC so why risk it.
I doubt Sony expected Astro Bot to become the first (and only) VR game to gain a 90 on MC hence that game as well embargoing on release day.

apowhungo

Oct 30, 2017
VR games usually face harsher criticism in reviews so there's less chance for looking good on MC so why risk it.

i've found this too, but why is this the case? it's not like reviewers don't know this is essentially gen-1 hardware and software and devs are still very much figuring out their groove, why set the same bar as a pancake-viz game?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
It definitely seems like that put another layer of interactivity in this game that I haven't experienced in many VR titles yet. At least with PSVR.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For someone who literally gives a predicted score in every single game preview topic, if the topics about predictions or not. I thought you'd be a little more knowledgeable on review embargoes.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Being able to juggle that throwaway fuse actually surprised me, the attention to detail in this game is incredible.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That demo, wow... so much going on in any given minute. Lots of depth to the environments too, I was shocked when he pulled that drawer open lol

Pacing looks fantastic, like an old COD rollercoaster campaign

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My local shop had this in stock so I bought it, installing now (1.2GB patch to download). Haven't really kept up on this game but I did enjoy London Heist so will probably like this, will give some impressions later (using Move controller).

Last edited:

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
i've found this too, but why is this the case? it's not like reviewers don't know this is essentially gen-1 hardware and software and devs are still very much figuring out their groove, why set the same bar as a pancake-viz game?

Many gamers still hate VR and want it to fail, that is bound to include some reviewers too

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Same! How are the pro graphics, provided you have it.

Low resolution and quite blurry but performance is fine. That's on a pro.

There's more story and less action than I thought there'd be but the acting is very good so it's fun and the action is well done.

Need to play more tonight as it hasn't wowed me yet but there's potential there to get really good soon.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Got the game early, my spoiler free impressions so far:

So far I played the first two missions (or the tutorial and the first real mission). I am happy to report that basically everything that has been shown so far is from the first hour of the game, so I am very much looking forward to what is still to come. The movement feels very good to me, you can select points to move to by looking at them and if two or more nodes align horizontally, you can directly move right/left with x/o. While you are "fixed" at the points, you can freely move within the space the camera sees, exactly like in superhot. Also, you don't teleport between the nodes but the character physically moves while you can still aim and shoot freely. The graphics on the pro are stunning (imo!) , the all-round best looking VR game that I have played so far on the psvr that goes for a realistic artstyle . It's extremely clean and a very clear step up from other "realistic" games like London Heist or Firewall. Regarding the IQ, I would say the visuals are "slightly" crisper than London Heist and a tad more blurry than Astrobot.
To be fair, I only own a PSVR and I never really had a problem with an IQ that is better than pre-patch skyrim ;) So it might be too blurry for some of you.

I admit that I was very sceptical of the game pre-release after the middling previews came out last year but so far, I am quite pleased.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Got the game early, my spoiler free impressions so far:

So far I played the first two missions (or the tutorial and the first real mission). I am happy to report that basically everything that has been shown so far is from the first hour of the game, so I am very much looking forward to what is still to come. The movement feels very good to me, you can select points to move to and if two or more nodes align horizontally, you can directly move right/left. While you are "fixed" at the points, you can freely move within the space the camera sees, exactly like in superhot. Also, you don't teleport between the nodes but the character physically moves while you can still aim and shoot freely. The graphics on the pro are stunning (imo!) , the all-round best looking VR game that I have played so far on the psvr that goes for a realistic artstyle . It's extremely clean and a very clear step up from other "realistic" games like London Heist or Firewall. Regarding the IQ, I would say the visuals are "slightly" crisper than London Heist and a tad more blurry than Astrobot.
To be fair, I only own a PSVR and I never really had a problem with the image qukty that better than pre-patch skyrim. So it might be too blurry for some of you.

I admit that I was very sceptical of the game pre-release after the middling previews came out last year but so far, I am quite pleased.
Good write-up.

I might be joining the early crowd because it seems like when Best Buy sent me the notification of shipping on Friday, they really have it in transit. I thought it was going to be held somewhere until Tuesday.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I usually take this with a grain of salt. Era users usually turn up the hyperbole for what low resolution is and that can change from person to person.

Can you give an comparison of how "blurry" it is to another game?

Not as clean as Astro Bot. Like actors are standing right next to you and it's clear there's quite a bit of detail missing. It's not terrible or anything and I think it looks a decent game but the IQ is not great.

I'll also add that the controls are excellent. Not just shooting and reloading but the movement feels as well implemented as you'll get for this type of game. Being able to press X or Circle to move left and right is a great addition.

Last edited:

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on the shelf at my local Walmart. I passed because I already have a copy on the way from BBY, but heads up if you want to try and score an early copy.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Many gamers still hate VR and want it to fail, that is bound to include some reviewers too

This is silly. As always, you guys are forgetting a very important part of media journalism: People have to click and be interested in it. VR content, including reviews, just doesn't even nearly do the traffic other video game content does. It's hard to argue for why you should spend these big amounts of time on articles your audience plain isn't interested in.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
This is silly. As always, you guys are forgetting a very important part of media journalism: People have to click and be interested in it. VR content, including reviews, just doesn't even nearly do the traffic other video game content does. It's hard to argue for why you should spend these big amounts of time on articles your audience plain isn't interested in.

I'm talking about reviews sometimes being incredibly harsh on VR games for no apparent reason.

They are different games, you can't give a lower score because they are missing features or content that regular games have. That's like giving a regular game a lower score because it doesn't have VR immersion and movement controls.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about reviews sometimes being incredibly harsh on VR games for no apparent reason.

They are different games, you can't give a lower score because they are missing features or content that regular games have. That's like giving a regular game a lower score because it doesn't have VR immersion and movement controls.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood then. But I feel like good or great VR games regularly got good to great scores. See Astro Bot, Beat Saber, Firewall, Lone Echo, Budget Cuts, Robo Recall...I could keep this list going forever. Don't see the basis for that argument really.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Low resolution and quite blurry but performance is fine. That's on a pro.

There's more story and less action than I thought there'd be but the acting is very good so it's fun and the action is well done.

Need to play more tonight as it hasn't wowed me yet but there's potential there to get really good soon.

that´s what i thought, more cutscenes than pure action and therefore no real replayability. will grab it when it is 20 bucks which is fine for a linear one time romp. i am no story/cutscene fan, i want more shooting, less talking in my games. kinda sad because this one would have been awesome with a "pure action" mode so you can play for highscores like a lightgun arcade game.

low resolution/blurry is for sure unfortunate but expected on the PSVR as this game seems to push quite good visuals for a VR game.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
that´s what i thought, more cutscenes than pure action and therefore no real replayability. will grab it when it is 20 bucks which is fine for a linear one time romp. i am no story/cutscene fan, i want more shooting, less talking in my games. kinda sad because this one would have been awesome with a "pure action" mode so you can play for highscores like a lightgun arcade game.

low resolution/blurry is for sure unfortunate but expected on the PSVR as this game seems to push quite good visuals for a VR game.
If I'm not mistaken, there's some kind of challenge mode separate from the story mode where you go for high score and there's online leaderboard too

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That straight up looks really good even through video out view mode. (Whatever its called)

It looks smooth as butter and the tracking looks solid.

This is now on my radar.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Are you arguing that VR games should not get as much coverage as normal games for to the traffic it generates? No offence but do you not think that's bullshit? At what point do they start to pay attention?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Are you arguing that VR games should not get as much coverage as normal games for to the traffic it generates? No offence but do you not think that's bullshit? At what point do they start to pay attention?

I'm not arguing what "should" happen. I'm arguing economic realities. I would be ecstatic if the biggest sites all started to constantly push small indie games, non commercial games and yes, VR games. But a video game website has to write for their audience. You can't just constantly work on articles your readers don't show much interest in. People who don't own VR systems generally don't care about VR reviews.

VR is doing ok! No need to invent conspiracy theories around why journalists don't want to see VR succeed, that's all I'm trying to say ;)

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not arguing what "should" happen. I'm arguing economic realities. I would be ecstatic if the biggest sites all started to constantly push small indie games, non commercial games and yes, VR games. But a video game website has to write for their audience. You can't just constantly work on articles your readers don't show much interest in. People who don't own VR systems generally don't care about VR reviews.

VR is doing ok! No need to invent conspiracy theories around why journalists don't want to see VR succeed, that's all I'm trying to say ;)
I hear ya but how long does it take to do a VR article/review? Hell, there's people that would do it for free. They should reach out to the VR community and ask for the help then (if they can't find the time or it's not worth the effort for them). Just my 2 cents...

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played so long today that I had to stop because the headset was starting to hurt my head. I must be right near the end now.

I think a lot of people are going to like this and reviews will be good. The aiming is so precise, the only thing that hurts the game is the hardware. The move controllers make some movements more finicky than they should be.