• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Upload VR 8.5/10
Despite the sometimes frustrating movement system and occasional pacing issues, Blood & Truth is a tour de force for PSVR. Sony's London Studio should be proud of what they've accomplished here by turning the brief London Heist demo from PlayStation VR Worlds into a fully-fledged narrative that features some of the best performances we've seen in VR yet. The action is pulse-pounding and so bombastic it rivals even the biggest summer blockbusters. This one is easily recommended to any PSVR owner that likes to shoot bad guys and watch stuff blow up.

Twinfinite 4/5
Blood & Truth is an excellent example of an action movie in VR. Some of the set-piece moments are up there with the best on the platform and it's the perfect game to show off the power of virtual reality. The only real disappointment comes from how easy it is to see that the experience could be even better if we had better controllers to play it with.

digitalchumps 8/10
Blood & Truth [ is a savvy and seasoned virtual reality thriller confident in its suave posture and meticulous operation. It is simultaneously a bonkers riff on outrageous action cinema where it's just as easy imagine its main character as narrowly sentient tank treads with gun-hands born to decimate cloned hordes of bungling bald men. Blood & Truth works even as its internal truth is a grinning mystery.

App Trigger 8/10
While it remains difficult to recommend PSVR based on the current technology, Blood & Truth continues the platform's steady momentum that started last year with titles like Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, and Beat Saber. The story and characters might not provide a unique spin on action movies or games, but the liberating, raw thrills of its gunplay mechanics do more than enough to elevate this bombastic adventure.

Game Zone 8.5/10
Even with some hiccups, Blood and Truth operates at an entirely different level than every other shooter out there thanks to PSVR. We already knew Sony had a consistent ability to deliver awesome regular first-party games but Blood and Truth proves they have superb prowess at making premium triple-A VR titles as well.

By combining flashy set-pieces filled with spectacle, neverending charm, and a mechanically sound VR gameplay experience, Blood and Truth serves as another success for PlayStation.

press-start 8/10
It's clear the goal with Blood & Truth was to serve up a cinematic experience best suited to VR while breaking out of the 'experience' stereotype that has dogged many great PSVR titles so far. When broken down it still has the clear structure required to ease people in on the ground floor but crafting them into something that flows where you don't see the edges that have been melded together.

Easy Allies 7.5
VR has had its share of gun-toting adventures, but Blood & Truth feels different. It streamlines a lot of your typical movement options in favor of letting you feel like Jason Statham for ten minutes. Pairing these action scenes with a cast that can actually support the story's intensity slows down the pace sometimes, but the overall effect is entertaining. We wish there were more ways to play around with it, but Blood & Truth is still a fun ride.

Wccftech 9/10
Blood & Truth is a fantastic roller coaster ride from beginning to end, coupling together an actually decent crime story along with two-handed gunplay that could only work in VR.

Attack of the Fanboy 4.5/5
SIE London Studio delivers yet again with another must play PSVR exclusive in Blood & Truth, which combines a compelling story with very enjoyable gameplay in one of the best AAA VR experiences to date.

Push Square 8/10
Blood & Truth pushes PSVR to its absolute limits, with a Cockney crime drama that's as amusing as it is explosive. There are moments where Sony's motion controllers can't quite match its ambition, but when you're scratching records with one hand while firing off a sub-machine gun in the other, there isn't a single shooter on the PS4 that's more entertainingly tactile than this. Outrageous production values and a bevy of bonus content make up for a slightly truncated running time, while the release's many imaginative moments provide respite from the explosive action peppered throughout.

DarkStation 8/10
When treated like a harmless action movie, it's hard not to have a rip-roaring time with Blood & Truth. The game knows what it is and has a good sense of humor about itself.

Eurogamer Italy 8/10

PSU 8/10
Blood and Truth takes known VR gaming mechanics and inserts them into a delightfully well-realized London, sending the player through chase scenes, heists, and gun fights. While there is nothing revolutionary happening with the controls and gameplay, the presentation, story and characters are top notch. Once you get started, you will want to see the action-packed story through to the end, and that's really what we wanted, isn't it?

Destructoid 7.5
No, it's not the best showcase for how far the VR industry has come as a whole, but it's the type of popcorn project I'd like to see more of from a major publisher in the space.
COGconnected 92/100
In Blood & Truth, Sony Studios London has given the PSVR an instant classic. Taking the promise of that original little demo The London Heist demo back in 2016 and absolutely running with it, Blood & Truth is a bloody, thrilling ride from start to finish and possibly the best PSVR title yet.

Game Revolution 8/10
Firefights are frenetic because of the intuitive gunplay mechanics that use VR intelligently to make normal tasks more involving while also going above and beyond in some instances.

Metro GameCentral 7/10
A blockbuster action movie in VR form that shows the abilities of PlayStation VR and Sony's studios better than ever before, even if the experience is ultimately rather shallow

3DJuegos 8.5

Hobby Consolas 82

Blood & Truth is one of the most intense action experiences on virtual reality. Period. Even with its limitations and lost opportunities, it's like a action blockbuster film, one in that you're the main character. It's a shame that if falls short, and that some mechanics, like climbing, doesn't work as the gunplay, because you'll stay wanting more

God is a Geek 8/10

Blood and Truth is a lot of fun, making use of a wide range of guns and all of the Move controller's capabilities.

TheSixthAxis 8/10
The London Heist always felt like it was leading to something much bigger, and here it is. Blood & Truth is a thrilling romp that puts you at the helm of your own blockbuster, dripping with over-the-top action as you blitz your way from one set piece to the next.

Gaming Age A-

I would absolutely suggest checking out Blood & Truth if you're a PSVR owner, it's certainly one of the most fleshed out action experiences available on the platform, and features some of the best weapon handling mechanics I've seen in VR altogether. It has a fun, action packed campaign mode along with just enough additional features and reasons to revisit completed stages. Definitely one of the best games available on PSVR, and certainly not one you should miss.
VRFocus 5/5
While you don't have the freedom of Borderlands 2 VR for example, with Blood & Truth you have a far more focused videogame that knows what it wants to achieve, and that's put a smile on your face. From start to finish Blood & Truth is one hell of a ride, a finely choreographed John Woo movie that's all about sheer entertainment.

Critical Hit 8.5
It's also the work of a studio that's obviously comfortable and confident with VR, who knows what works and what doesn't in a medium that's not completely opened its wings. It lets you tinker and play around, gesticulating and gesturing (even letting you flip the bird), with the realisation that immersion's at its best when that sort of irreverence can be embraced. The whole affair's buoyed by incredible performance capture, great voice acting and facial animation – plus a Grime soundtrack that captures the essence of London's dirtier underground.

Video Chums 2.9/10
Blood & Truth's story is about as gripping as trying to hold onto a bowling ball with greased up hands and its gameplay doesn't do much to make up for that. Add in a bunch of glitches and goofy moments and you're left with one disappointing VR experience.

NextGenBase 8/10

Blood & Truth is a rare example of a small concept blown up to a bigger scale and it actually working. While at times it still feels a little bit like a tech demo for the PSVR, there are some excellent moments that are put front & centre in the game. The story isn't going to win any awards, but it's told in a manner that is both engaging and fun, and when combined with some of the best action segments that I've seen so far in PSVR, it's easy enough to recommend picking this one up.

Everyeye.it 8.2
The Blood & Truth shooting system represents the highest point ever reached by the genre on PSVR, and gives the public galvanizing sequences that exude style and adrenaline from all of its pores.

Gameblog.fr 8/10
Blood & Truth is, at its release, the best action & shooting with a scenario on PSVR.

German GamePro - 90%

IGN Italia - 90

Playstation Lifestyle - 85

SpazioGames - 87

The Games Machine - 78

Merlin'In Kazani - 85

Multiplayer.it - 80

Worth Playing - 80

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
BLOOD AND TRUTH HYPE LET'S GO
Sitting at a nice 82 on Meta, congrats to the team at London Studio, hope they are rewarded with commercial success

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Wccftech 9/10
Blood & Truth is a fantastic roller coaster ride from beginning to end, coupling together an actually decent crime story along with two-handed gunplay that could only work in VR.

Attack of the Fanboy 4.5/5
SIE London Studio delivers yet again with another must play PSVR exclusive in Blood & Truth, which combines a compelling story with very enjoyable gameplay in one of the best AAA VR experiences to date.

Push Square 8/10
Blood & Truth pushes PSVR to its absolute limits, with a Cockney crime drama that's as amusing as it is explosive. There are moments where Sony's motion controllers can't quite match its ambition, but when you're scratching records with one hand while firing off a sub-machine gun in the other, there isn't a single shooter on the PS4 that's more entertainingly tactile than this. Outrageous production values and a bevy of bonus content make up for a slightly truncated running time, while the release's many imaginative moments provide respite from the explosive action peppered throughout.

DarkStation 8/10
When treated like a harmless action movie, it's hard not to have a rip-roaring time with Blood & Truth. The game knows what it is and has a good sense of humor about itself.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer Italy 8/10

PSU 8/10
Blood and Truth takes known VR gaming mechanics and inserts them into a delightfully well-realized London, sending the player through chase scenes, heists, and gun fights. While there is nothing revolutionary happening with the controls and gameplay, the presentation, story and characters are top notch. Once you get started, you will want to see the action-packed story through to the end, and that's really what we wanted, isn't it?

Destructoid 7.5
No, it's not the best showcase for how far the VR industry has come as a whole, but it's the type of popcorn project I'd like to see more of from a major publisher in the space.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
With Falcon Age, Everbodys Golf and this I've been using my PSVR quite a lot lately. Really appreciate that Sony is pushing for these games

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Thank god PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games. I'll wait to buy the PSVR2 in the future, then I'll just buy all the games I've missed in this first generation.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
COGconnected 92/100
In Blood & Truth, Sony Studios London has given the PSVR an instant classic. Taking the promise of that original little demo The London Heist demo back in 2016 and absolutely running with it, Blood & Truth is a bloody, thrilling ride from start to finish and possibly the best PSVR title yet.

Game Revolution 8/10
Firefights are frenetic because of the intuitive gunplay mechanics that use VR intelligently to make normal tasks more involving while also going above and beyond in some instances.

Metro GameCentral 7/10
A blockbuster action movie in VR form that shows the abilities of PlayStation VR and Sony's studios better than ever before, even if the experience is ultimately rather shallow

3DJuegos 8.5

Hobby Consolas 82

Blood & Truth is one of the most intense action experiences on virtual reality. Period. Even with its limitations and lost opportunities, it's like a action blockbuster film, one in that you're the main character. It's a shame that if falls short, and that some mechanics, like climbing, doesn't work as the gunplay, because you'll stay wanting more

God is a Geek 8/10

Blood and Truth is a lot of fun, making use of a wide range of guns and all of the Move controller's capabilities.

TheSixthAxis 8/10

The London Heist always felt like it was leading to something much bigger, and here it is. Blood & Truth is a thrilling romp that puts you at the helm of your own blockbuster, dripping with over-the-top action as you blitz your way from one set piece to the next.

Gaming Age A-

I would absolutely suggest checking out Blood & Truth if you're a PSVR owner, it's certainly one of the most fleshed out action experiences available on the platform, and features some of the best weapon handling mechanics I've seen in VR altogether. It has a fun, action packed campaign mode along with just enough additional features and reasons to revisit completed stages. Definitely one of the best games available on PSVR, and certainly not one you should miss.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games. I'll wait to buy the PSVR2 in the future, then I'll just buy all the games I've missed in this first generation.
Just imagine how many gen 1 PSVR games people would never get to play if PS5 ended up not having PSVR BC

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the only games that's actually made me interested in VR.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This looks so hype. Unfortunately I don't own a psvr. Hoping for 8 days revival after this

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Looking forward to a meaty PSVR experience.

Question, I'm considering getting an Aim Controller, is it compatible with Blood & Truth?

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
VRFocus 5/5
While you don't have the freedom of Borderlands 2 VR for example, with Blood & Truth you have a far more focused videogame that knows what it wants to achieve, and that's put a smile on your face. From start to finish Blood & Truth is one hell of a ride, a finely choreographed John Woo movie that's all about sheer entertainment.

Critical Hit 8.5
It's also the work of a studio that's obviously comfortable and confident with VR, who knows what works and what doesn't in a medium that's not completely opened its wings. It lets you tinker and play around, gesticulating and gesturing (even letting you flip the bird), with the realisation that immersion's at its best when that sort of irreverence can be embraced. The whole affair's buoyed by incredible performance capture, great voice acting and facial animation – plus a Grime soundtrack that captures the essence of London's dirtier underground.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I definitely suggest playing this with Move controllers if you have them.

Do you have a choice? Pretty sure London Heist had a lot of hand presence specific things in it such as reaching on the car's glove compartment and fiddling around looking for those items behind that desk. I'm assuming this will be an extension on that thus the Move controllers are not optional.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Do you have a choice? Pretty sure London Heist had a lot of hand presence specific things in it such as reaching on the car's glove compartment and fiddling around looking for those items behind that desk. I'm assuming this will be an extension on that thus the Move controllers are not optional.

It has DS4 support as well. Heres a review from Zem, who played a level with it.

Jan 4, 2018
You can definitely use a DS4, I did for a little bit when reviewing it just to see how it felt and it wasn't ideal (Move controllers work really, even surprisingly well though).

It still tracks hand movements with the DS4, they're basically just tied together and the game maps certain actions to buttons to get around that.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
You can use the dual shock. It works, but it takes away most of the fun.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Great Reviews, I would agree to all of them.
What holds the game back from being a 9 or 10/10 simply the hardware limitations of the moves. With how it is now, you always have to compromise and design your game around those problems.
A Problem that Astro Bot or other 3rd Person games don't have.
I think between farpoint, killing floor and blood & truth, we have reached the peak potential in game design for FPS that PSVR offers. It's either:
- Aim (Problem: no direct hand Movements and spotty tracking)
- Moves with nodes/teleports (Problem: no free movement)
- Moves with free locomotion (Problem: hardware not designed for that. Works, but always obviously only as a workaround, even in titles that do it well)
- DS4 (Problem: looses a lot of VR specific Gameplay possibilities)

BTT: I am very impressed by Blood and Truth, I think it gets the absolute best out of the node-based movement system, which feels less restrictive than I originally though.
Also, the score and especially the main theme is a real banger. Have it stuck in my head since Friday.

Last edited:

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great Reviews, I would agree to all of them.
What holds the game back from being a 9 or 10/10 simply the hardware limitations of the moves. With how it is now, you always have to compromise and design your game around those problems.
A Problem that Astro Bot or other 3rd Person games don't have.
I think between farpoint, killing floor and blood & truth, we have reached the peak potential in game design for FPS that PSVR offers. It's either:
Aim (Problem: no direct hand Movements)
Moves with nodes/teleports (Problem: no free movement)
Moves with free locomotion (Problem: hardware not designed for that. Works, but always obviously only as a workaround, even in titles that do it well)
Yep. It's going to stay that way until Sony makes some new motion controllers that have sticks on them to move.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can we be sure that PSVR2 will be backwards compatible with all PSVR1 games, despite probably using a different tracking system and controllers?
Even if it isn't, it'd be in Sony's best interest to port or patch the highly regarded games to work with newer headset and controller

So games like Astrobot, Blood and Truth, and 3rd party games like Beatsaber and Superhot is probably a safe bet will be playable on psvr2 (whether its free update or sold as new version is another topic)