• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
At 2014's Playstation Experience, Miyazaki showed the first footage of Bloodborne's randomly-generated Chalice Dungeons. One of the enemies the player was seen fighting was an Undead Giant with one of its blade arms on fire. When the game released and people started creating their own Chalice Dungeons, the flaming Undead Giant seemed to be absent, so people assumed it was cut content. However, on November 19th of 2017, nearly 3 years after the enemy was shown, some dedicated Tomb Prospectors found the flaming Undead Giant in a Depth 4 Cursed and Defiled Root Chalice Dungeon with the glyph "pa6ssc6u".

This video explains the background of the discovery and shows some footage of the flaming Undead Giant in action.

Credit to MorosNyx on r/bloodborne and r/tombprospectors for bringing this to people's attention.

Thread by Toxi

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely fascinating! To be able to discover something like this after the game's been out for so long... makes me wonder if anything else is hiding.

Interestingly the stage looks incredibly similar to the one at PSE2014. I wonder if the flaming giant was intended just to be shown off there and it only will ever appear in that particular chalice dungeon?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, lol.

Let's go fucking crazy for a sec: What if this is an ARG and that glyph is the first clue?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
thats pretty cool. bloodborne was a good time. but seeing a souls game at 30fps...that makes me sad.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
That's truly amazing. I burnt out on Bloodborne after grabbing the platinum in both the regular and DLC releases so I never really got into seeing other Chalice dungeons. I really should go back and check some out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta use this thread to show another rare thing that was found recently, although it's just really rare attack a regularr Chalice enemy does

9v59Ycr.png

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Haha that's nuts.

I'm not a fan of the Chalice Dungeons, the game clearly is better with handmade level design. But I like the concept of it and stuff like this is awesome.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making the thread!

The reason this enemy likely went unfound for so long is that it appears in a Depth 4 Chalice Dungeon, and people mostly create Depth 5 Dungeons (Because those have the best gems).

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What? I fought this guy before.
I even remember thinking "oh it's the PSX monster".

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
This is where everyone goes "Him? I fought him like 10 times!"

Awesome that it's been documented! It always astonishes me when secrets unearth years after a games release.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why do I have the feeling like I've seen one in game deep down in the higher depths.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
thats pretty cool. bloodborne was a good time. but seeing a souls game at 30fps...that makes me sad.

Uh that's great...is this thread really about that though?

The Chalice Dungeons are a madcap concept. I've looked into it slightly before and I don't think this is the first time people have found some obscure one off enemy with the correct setup. Think there's somethig about a frog like creature too maybe I saw it in a lets play or something.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking awesome. I dungeons were better designed and more exciting, people would probably discover more enemies even.

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's an awesome find. Always enjoyed chipping away at the chalice dungeons. Some of the bloodecho farming spots were pretty insane at the lowest depths.

Wish Dark Souls 3 had done something with the randomly generated dungeon idea.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Uh that's great...is this thread really about that though?

The Chalice Dungeons are a madcap concept. I've looked into it slightly before and I don't think this is the first time people have found some obscure one off enemy with the correct setup. Think there's somethig about a frog like creature too maybe I saw it in a lets play or something.

The other rare enemy is the Tunnel Digger

Found either in lower tier Ptumeru Chalices or Lower Loran. Very rare too.

btw he has one head in either side and can eat you and poop you :)

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed this whole thing but I don't think I ever encountered this guy.

Wow that's an awesome find. Always enjoyed chipping away at the chalice dungeons. Some of the bloodecho farming spots were pretty insane at the lowest depths.

Wish Dark Souls 3 had done something with the randomly generated dungeon idea.

They weren't that great themselves but sharing glyphs with Blood rocks and top tier gems was pretty cool. Some bosses in there were legit good.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I only ever went to the chalice for my platinum and getting that trophy for Queen Yharnam. I never explored much past that but I swear I encountered that guy before. I specifically remember a fire sword.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I'm shuddering at the thought of doing this fight with my full-on beast build (i.e. No fire resistance). Lol.

Love this game.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's fascinating how much cool stuff they have hidden away in these terrible chalice dungeons

Oct 27, 2017
The cannon one's fairly common and also appears in the set Chalice Dungeons as both an enemy and a boss.

Gotcha! The in-fighting was very cool. I only played last year for the first time to the initial boss Father Gascoigne (after the bridge one, Cleric Beast?). I need to jump back in.

It's fascinating how much cool stuff they have hidden away in these terrible chalice dungeons

What is so terrible about them? (I have no clue how all this works.)

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome! I want to go back to those chalice dungeons but I am still not sure how it all works. I feel like I am just making random chalices.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
Odd... I was pretty sure I fought this guy back in the day in some weird chalice... maybe my mind is playing me tricks.
I mean there are variants on this boss that are found in the chalice dungeons. So you may have fought this particular one of one of the others.

The Chalice Dungeons were such a weird/awesome experiment. I would actually like to see them refined in a future game but I'm not sure if most people ever got fully on board because of the lack of variety in design (which is a fair complaint to have).

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a Bloodborne sequel that goes hard on the chalice dungeon idea, really refining them and adding long term play value like Spelunky.