• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
If i havent met Eileen the Crow and already took like 3 steps into the Forbidden Woods, im screwed regarding her questline, huh?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
903ei0N.gif
I was expecting a last minute clutch parry :D

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm getting close to finishing my NG+ run. Only two bosses to go.

Interestingly, I hadn't died until I reached the One Reborn, the one boss I killed on my first try in NG, and now he killed me like 9 times before I finally got him. It felt like a completely different encounter. It attacked me in ways I didn't even know it could attack.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth even bothering to upgrade the shooty weapons? Seems that theyre only really good for setting up Visceral attacks via parries

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Is it worth even bothering to upgrade the shooty weapons? Seems that theyre only really good for setting up Visceral attacks via parries

It is if you're doing a gun focused Bloodtinge build.

Some guns are super powerful even without Bloodtinge when fully upgraded.

Personally I upgraded the Flamethrower to +9 to farm Blood Echoes in the lecture hall and it melts stuff like butter.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I upgraded the Flamethrower to +9 to farm Blood Echoes in the lecture hall and it melts stuff like butter.

I considered doing that but then i would feel like a bum buying a weapon just for farming. I think i just have issues buying weapons if i dont intend to use them as main weapons. I guess i should get over that. Is a flamethrower even capable of parries?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I considered doing that but then i would feel like a bum buying a weapon just for farming. I think i just have issues buying weapons if i dont intend to use them as main weapons. I guess i should get over that. Is a flamethrower even capable of parries?

No, you can't parry with the Flamethrower. You don't even have to buy it. You can get it for free from Gilbert, an NPC in a house right next to the first Central Yahrnam Lamp.
it has to be done before killing Rom and triggering the Blood Moon

By the end of the game you should be swimming in Blood Stone Chunks so upgrading it shouldn't be too bad. Even getting it up to +6 will drastically increase its damage. The flamethrower is also useful against some enemies that are weak to fire, specially after dousing them with an oil urn.

There's also a trophy for getting all the weapons anyway, if you are into that sort of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
No, you can't parry with the Flamethrower. You don't even have to buy it. You can get it for free from Gilbert, an NPC in a house right next to the first Central Yahrnam Lamp.
it has to be done before killing Rom and triggering the Blood Moon
Good to know. I'll do that tonight before I try my hand at the forbidden woods again. Thanks!

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
By the end of the game you should be swimming in Blood Stone Chunks so upgrading it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm near the end of the game, according to people on here I only have 2 more areas left, and I'm struggling finding Blood Stone Chunks. I'm doing the DLC content now hoping to come across some but so far nothing.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I'm near the end of the game, according to people on here I only have 2 more areas left, and I'm struggling finding Blood Stone Chunks. I'm doing the DLC content now hoping to come across some but so far nothing.
Yeah, there are enough chunks for maybe two weapons by the end of the main game without farming. And obviously the final areas have the most chunks, so if you haven't been to Nightmare of Mensis you're probably missing out on a fair number of them.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

There are about 15 chunks in Yahar'gul and 19 in the nightmare of Mensis as well as a few in Nightmare frontier. Make sure to explore those areas thoroughly if you need chunks. Don't forget to kill all the scurrying beasts since they tend to drop 3 Chunks in these areas. If you miss one simply, reload the game and the Scurrying beast will respawn (old school Crystal Lizard trick).

There are several Chunks in the DLC as well, at least 12.

A quick skim over at Fextralife shows that there are approximately 70 Chunks in the base game+DLC. Added to that there are the Chunks dropped by bosses and other enemies in Chalice dungeons, and some enemies have a low chance of dropping them as well outside the dungeons.

You need 16 chunks to bring a weapon to +9 so that's enough for 4 weapons.

Last edited:

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Good to know about the Chunks. I've been to Yahar'gul and the Nightmare Frontier. Haven't been to Nightmare of Mensis yet. I will definitely be on the lookout for them in the DLC. My two main weapons, Threaded Cane and LHB are at +8 and +7 right now respectively.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I've played the Souls series since Demons but I never found the time to dig into another souls game till today. I know next to nothing about the game beside the name of some bosses and weapon switching gifs back from 2015.

Decided to start it now just in case bloodborne 2 is announced this E3. I'm not the type to do LTTPs and post impressions, but we'll see. I'm so excited!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've played the Souls series since Demons but I never found the time to dig into another souls game till today. I know next to nothing about the game beside the name of some bosses and weapon switching gifs back from 2015.

Decided to start it now just in case bloodborne 2 is announced this E3. I'm not the type to do LTTPs and post impressions, but we'll see. I'm so excited!

You're in for a treat.

My humble suggestion would be to go in as blindly as possible. Slowly unraveling this game and exploring it is a true joy.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017

I'm in a similar position, I just got a ps4, my first non-Nintendo console in ages. I'm excited to dive into all these exclusives and Bloodborne is going to be the first one! Just finished downloading it.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You're in for a treat.

My humble suggestion would be to go in as blindly as possible. Slowly unraveling this game and exploring it is a true joy.
I only reached the first boss and I already have so much praise for what they did with this game. They really could have just put the souls gameplay in Yahrnam but they went to a lot of effort to make the experience stand on its own.

I did forget to mention that, well, just from reading around souls threads on Gaf and here I already have a faint idea of the story twist in this game,
The Cosmic Blood twist
but I don't know any of the details or nuances around it. Anyway, I just died at the first boss without finding a second lantern T_T

I'm in a similar position, I just got a ps4, my first non-Nintendo console in ages. I'm excited to dive into all these exclusives and Bloodborne is going to be the first one! Just finished downloading it.

That's awesome. Would be nice to see how someone else plays along differently. Is this your first Souls game?

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
That's awesome. Would be nice to see how someone else plays along differently. Is this your first Souls game?

No, I've played DS 1-3 (although I never finished 2.) 1 is one of my all time favourites so I've been wanting to play Bloodborne ever since it came out.

I was always a sword and board type in Dark Souls games, and I know that's not really an option in BB, so it should be interesting. I'm gonna put in a couple hours right now, actually.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Is cursed and defined chalice the one I need to do after ailing loran? What is the best way to get arcane haze?

There's a Hunter's Tool that will let you extract Arcane Haze from items. I won't spoil its location but let's just say that you have to explore the "mainline" Chalice Dungeons a bit more. :)

And yeah, the Defiled Chalice is next up after Ailing Loran.

Anyway, I just died at the first boss without finding a second lantern T_T

There's only one lantern in Central Yahrnam. (other than the lanterns that spawn in the boss areas after you kill them).

In fact most areas in the game only have one lantern at the beginning. The game is built around unlocking shortcuts back to that first lantern since most levels loop back around themselves. My suggestion before fighting bosses is to look for shortcuts to minimize the time it takes you to run back to the fog gate. In fact if it takes you more than 90 seconds you're probably missing a shortcut.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
There's a Hunter's Tool that will let you extract Arcane Haze from items. I won't spoil its location but let's just say that you have to explore the "mainline" Chalice Dungeons a bit more. :)

And yeah, the Defiled Chalice is next up after Ailing Loran.

Oh I got that. It just the only chalice with the word in it is called Cursed and Defiled.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh I got that. It just the only chalice with the word in it is called Cursed and Defiled.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, the labeling is confusing since it seems like Cursed and Defiled are two different types of dungeons but no.

Just finished the game on NG+. All in all it, took me about 3 hours to basically rush to kill the mandatory bosses. The only place I took a bit more time to pick up items was Nightmare of Mensis since it's filled to the brim with Chunks.

Interestingly the bosses I thought were the easiest in NG (Mikolash and TOR) were the ones who gave me the most trouble in NG+, whereas bosses that did give me trouble in NG (like Rom or Amelia) I just sliced into mincemeat with my Whirlgig saw with BBPs.

Only 1 more trophy and then I'll get my Platinum.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know you can use the haze extractor tool but I always think I'm going to want the stuff I use to make it in future so I end up farming it. The fixed chalice dungeon where Rom is a boss has a bunch of those enemies that drop it, I just do a few run arounds of those, they take a couple of bullet shots to the head to kill. Inefficient I know

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I never played chalice dungeons, but noticed that I would get the platinum if I got that last trophy for doing them. How long do you need in singleplayer to rush through to the final boss and is there a guide for the quickest route?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never played chalice dungeons, but noticed that I would get the platinum if I got that last trophy for doing them. How long do you need in singleplayer to rush through to the final boss and is there a guide for the quickest route?
It is actually relatively quick, not all the Chalice Dungeons need to be done, they are quite confusingly named.

The path to the final boss (spoilers) can be foundhere

The path is basically:
- Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Central Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Lower Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon
- Ailing Loran Chalice Dungeon
- Defiled Chalice Dungeon
- Lower Loran Chalice Dungeon -or- Great Isz Chalice Dungeon
- Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice Dungeon

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Speaking of Chalice Dungeons, I finally killed the Defiled Watchdog. Praise the sun!

But I fear the worst is yet to come.

IOA74oU.jpg

I'm afraid.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Is this required for a trophy? Such a downer. Chalices were already uninteresting. Now you have this? Especially when a room has 12 mobs that jump you. "Difficulty"

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Oh I know. The boss before this layer was a copy of what I fought in another chalice. What is the boss for this?

Its just a shame that Chalices are such a killjoy.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh I know. The boss before this layer was a copy of what I fought in another chalice. What is the boss for this?

Its just a shame that Chalices are such a killjoy.

Keeper of the old Lords, Watchdog of the Old Lords, Amygdala

I personally enjoy the Chalices. It's just that this particular Chalice is on a completely different level in terms of difficulty compared to the rest of the game. The DLC on NG+ has nothing on this.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I got this really weird issue where I find the game so oppressive in its vibes that I struggle to muster up the courage to even turn it on. I bought it April last year, and I've gotten like 25 hours in. I have a pretty good time when playing it but man, actually booting it up is a struggle. I'm generally really bad with horror so I avoid them but this is easily the scariest thing I've ever played. Hopefully I can get over this shit because I still a ways to go including the doc, and I really wanna finish it.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I've beaten two bosses so far, the second being a really hectic fight but very manageable for the first area. I still can't get a feel for the weapon switching though. I've been maining the cleaver and I don't find much use for the other longer form. The kirk hammer was more fun in that regard but I take a lot of damage when I use it.

I think I've done everything there is to do in Central Yharnam, including
going back to the the girl and gave her the red broach, and now she won't speak to me. Classic souls -.-

As for the story I'm kind of lost as usual even though I'm reading all the item descriptions and stuff. There was no opening cinematic to set the stage like DS1, unless I totally missed; it but I need to find some short scene-setting summary so I have an idea of what's going on.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
Beat that Gatling gun dude and managed to take down the Blood-Starved Beast on my first attempt (with the help of Alfred, of course!). :)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've beaten two bosses so far, the second being a really hectic fight but very manageable for the first area. I still can't get a feel for the weapon switching though. I've been maining the cleaver and I don't find much use for the other longer form. The kirk hammer was more fun in that regard but I take a lot of damage when I use it.
The use of the cleaver's transformed state is in the transform attacks themselves (L1 during a combo). Just to transform it and use it in the long state itself is kind of slow. The transform attacks are great for crowd control or finishing off a combo as they stagger a lot of enemies. Say you're hacking away R1's at an enemy, make the last couple of attacks L1's for a) more damage, b) to stagger or c) as other enemies are coming closer to catch and stagger them also and give you time to regain some stamina. Doing 2 L1's will get you back to the regular short weapon state ready to attack quickly again.

Since the transform attacks are fast, they are also fantastic for building up beast meter, you can absolutely melt bosses very quickly by popping a beast blood pellet, and going ham with transform attacks.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Got killed about 10+ plus times by Ludwig. His second form man...I don't know what I'm gonna do but I'm gonna keep trying.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Got killed about 10+ plus times by Ludwig. His second form man...I don't know what I'm gonna do but I'm gonna keep trying.
I know your pain. After retrying that fight 38945794 times I had the first phase down to a science, barely getting hit. Then the second phase gave me a lot of trouble because his attacks have a totally different rhythm and a slight delay, and I was dodging way too early and getting combo'd mercilessly. Staying to his left and behind him is key, but it's easier said than done...

Lady Maria has a zero tolerance policy regarding the use of Chikage. :P

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing a full co-op playthrough, and I didn't realise how early you could get your weapon levelled up quite high. We've beaten Amelia, and I popped into the DLC for the Amygdalan Arm, and I have it to +7 already.

I only jumped into the DLC at the end on my first time round, but I don't remember leveling it up this quick.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Well defiled dog and Amy were a breeze compared to the rest of the chalice dungeon.

Good job. Those bosses are real motherfuckers, in my opinion the two hardest bosses in the game. I didn't really have a problem with the dungeon itself since I just run around like a headless chicken picking up all the materials and looking for the levers, hah

I'm doing a full co-op playthrough, and I didn't realise how early you could get your weapon levelled up quite high. We've beaten Amelia, and I popped into the DLC for the Amygdalan Arm, and I have it to +7 already.

I only jumped into the DLC at the end on my first time round, but I don't remember leveling it up this quick.

After my NG+ Run I'm amazed at how quickly and early you can get stuff done as long as you know where to go and what you are going for. In my opinion this speaks volumes about how well designed the game is.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The use of the cleaver's transformed state is in the transform attacks themselves (L1 during a combo). Just to transform it and use it in the long state itself is kind of slow. The transform attacks are great for crowd control or finishing off a combo as they stagger a lot of enemies. Say you're hacking away R1's at an enemy, make the last couple of attacks L1's for a) more damage, b) to stagger or c) as other enemies are coming closer to catch and stagger them also and give you time to regain some stamina. Doing 2 L1's will get you back to the regular short weapon state ready to attack quickly again.

Since the transform attacks are fast, they are also fantastic for building up beast meter, you can absolutely melt bosses very quickly by popping a beast blood pellet, and going ham with transform attacks.
Thanks for the input. I have been feeling more confident with using the L1 even on some boss attempts, but I'm still too comfortable with the basic saw cleaver form. This is like the dark sword from DS3 all over again where I never switch weapons till the end :P

I have been testing the kirkhammer though because that and the stake driver seem like the most interesting weapons so far. Do people just stay in hammer mode all the time? The sword is weak so I'm still trying to find the optimal way to use the weapon.

Anyway, I just got kidnapped to some place called
something something unseen village
Good times.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the input. I have been feeling more confident with using the L1 even on some boss attempts, but I'm still too comfortable with the basic saw cleaver form. This is like the dark sword from DS3 all over again where I never switch weapons till the end :P

I have been testing the kirkhammer though because that and the stake driver seem like the most interesting weapons so far. Do people just stay in hammer mode all the time? The sword is weak so I'm still trying to find the optimal way to use the weapon.

Anyway, I just got kidnapped to some place called
something something unseen village
Good times.

For the Kirkhammer, it's sword form deals a unique form of damage that a few certain enemies are weak to, plus it's a thrust weapon, so gems that affect thrust damage will make it shine. The hammer deals blunt damage, which is good for staggering/high damage, but more enemies are weaker to thrust damage.

It's also good to use the sword if you want to get quick hits in.

If you wanna use the Stake Driver, I'm pretty sure you can throw oil urs at enemies to get more damage on the burning Falcon Punch move.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Came back to the game after a short break and cleared Rom. Didn't seem like the toughest fight, but still didn't stop me from dying a solid 4 times before finally beating it. Was doing a good deal of damage to her when I got in close, but man those ice shard attacks and spider lunges were taking down my health bar so fast. Felt good to get through it though. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont want remastered Demon Souls.

Nor Dark Souls 4.

Nor Sci-fi Souls.

I just want Bloodborne 2. The trick weapons are that good...