• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Vicar Amelia. Going into the Great Cathedral and hearing her chanting was pretty atmospheric. Also really loved her transformation. The fight itself was over rather quickly. Felt like the fight with the Cleric Beast, not much to it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just beat Vicar Amelia. Going into the Great Cathedral and hearing her chanting was pretty atmospheric. Also really loved her transformation. The fight itself was over rather quickly. Felt like the fight with the Cleric Beast, not much to it.

Amelia and all giant beast bosses always kick my ass. I always do better against humanoid Bosses like Logarius, Maria or OoK.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You mean DS1. That was grindy AF. At least the stuff in DS3 I was able to do in half a day.
?

DS1 is just 2 and a half playthroughs, not much different to BB. DS2 & 3 had all those covenant items to grind out, even through pvp it would be a slog.

The hardest thing to grind for in DS1 is off the top of my head the Channeler's Trident which has never taken me more than about 20 mins to get.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, when I think of grindy Trophies I specifically think of the covenant items. I'm never ever doing those.

I could've gotten the BB platinum on my first playthrough if I hadn't unknowingly triggered the point of no return, thereby locking myself out of one of the endings.

Even then, my NG+ run for the third ending took only a day, and it was super fun to wreck everything with my Whirlgig saw.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
2 and a half playthroughs

So in term of run throughs, almost the same.

I did DS3 in only two run throughs, didn't fully complete NG+ as it was for a couple items missed. Endings you can just do the save trick like in bloodborne. Also the rings really require more than two NG cycles, which you can rush it - random people seem to drop when I was playing.
You can cheese one of the PvP covenants ontop of that. The PvP stuff took me just over four hours excluding the one you can cheese.

For time played, BB and DS3 are pretty equal for me.

Also if you got friends who play the game even more hardcore and are many NG cycles in you can 100% DS3 in NG using the save trick for things.

I dunno I found DeS and DS2 to be more of the offenders.

I didn't 100% DS1 mainly because I didn't really care about doing NG+.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hoonters, I've finally beaten Defiled Amygdala.

It's all thanks to ranged weapon. I cheesed her (it?) with Simon's Bowblade. I'd share the video but it's super boring and lasts for 16 minutes. Suffice it to say it involved a lot of strafing left, baiting the overhead slam and then hitting her with charged R2s, and running to viceral when appropiate. It was a disgustingly cheap strategy. And I have no regrets.

Only one boss left in the Lower Loran. I'm inching my way to that Platinum.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
The mound one you can password coop and kill. I played near launch and got lucky.

Where you help other people get invaded. Then the one you need to invade. I did both in the same area after Pontiff. Was chaos and fun lol.

Half the time did nothing and got stuff lol.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Got through Forbidden Woods yesterday. I really loved this area, so many ways to choose from. Because this area is so big and there's no second lamp here, it felt like Dark Souls 1 a bit. At least if you didn't find the short cut, which i didn't for a while. Was really tense because i didn't want to loose the considerable amount of Blood Echoes i collected, but i still wanted to get all the items lying around. Nice risk vs reward situations.

The boss gave me some trouble. Really had to be on the move constantly to not get cornered. And then they even power up if you do enough damage. The last phase was especially annoying. Took me 6 or 7 tries to beat them. Was a nice conclusion to this area.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So which boss broke you guys? Definitely not the last boss(es)....

Nothing even comes close to the Defiled Chalice bosses. The Watchdog killed me more times than all the bosses in the base game + DLC put together. It's just on another level IMO. Defiled Amygdala was a nightmare as well,, but at least I was able to cheese my way out of that. All in all, I'd say the bosses in the Defiled Chalice dungeon killed me over a 100 times put together and I might be lowballing that number.

Outside of the dungeons,
I can't really think of a boss that gave me too much trouble. In fact the boss that killed me the most was probably Amelia, or maybe ROM, but I was still getting the hang of the game by that point. Ebrietas killed me a bunch of times too, until I got lucky with her head slam while using BBP and killed her in like 40 seconds. I also continued my Souls tradition of Killing the last boss(es) on my first try. :P

As far as the DLC bosses go, Ludwig definitely gave me the most trouble. Killed me about 35 times. The first phase is brutal, but the second phase I found pretty manageable. Maria killed me a bunch as well but it's such an epic fight that I didn't care. I do well against parriable bosses so OoK wasn't to hard for me, and I somehow killed Lawrence on my first try, partly out of luck and serendipity and also because the Whirlgig saw is EZ-mode. Slice to win.

NG+ was cake, because going in with a +10 weapon with good gems as well as a stockpile of Bolt and Fire paper and BBPs means your damage output is much higher than the HP bonus bosses get. Only the one reborn gave me some trouble.

My main weapons in the game where the LHB and the Whirlsaw and, being frank, those weapons are probably overpowered in terms of scaling, ease of use and range. On my next playthrough I'll probably try a SKL/ Bloodtinge build for weapons like the Chikage. I feel that the game would probably be more difficult that way

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I don't even know what gems I want. I have 100% the game but still in NG (haven't killed MP as I warped out). How do you guys know?

Also Daguther of Cosmos was my bane.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I was doing the Chalice dungeons as I went through the game so I kept getting gems out of that. I didn't really know what I was doing; I'd just scroll down the list looking for blue numbers and replaced the ones with less physical damage for more physical damage, hah. I ended up with a lot of cursed radial gems which decrease weapon durability but provide like 26% bonus on physical attacks. My LHB is at like 205+600 but it breaks after 5 minutes.

I think an honorary mention should go to those motherfucking sharks down the well in the fishing hamlet. Goddamn, they are harder than half the bosses.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never used the cursed ones that decrease your weapon durability, especially since there's no repair weapon item to do it on the fly. I use the ones that drop damage done to beasts or kin since it seems to even out still. I do the same though, I just go down the list and look for blue numbers to see a gem that's better. Not sure how, but I feel they could've handled this better as the lists can get very long and tedious to scroll through - maybe an optimize option.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I never used the cursed ones that decrease your weapon durability, especially since there's no repair weapon item to do it on the fly. I use the ones that drop damage done to beasts or kin since it seems to even out still.
That's what I like to do, then just have one weapon with all -kin gems and another with all -beast gems. It helps that they're easily farmable from the Winter Lanterns in the Fishing Hamlet.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Blood Kart? I'd play this.

ddxqvlcu0aayqzn.jpgla5cqhf.jpg

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Bodied Ludwig on NG+ yesterday and I'm still feeling myself.

Fucking crazy, man. To think everything in this game used to kick my ass.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It doesn't count if you don't save the dude in the corpse pile.......

j/k, nice job and very nice finish! He still consistently trashes me often in the second phase, he's just hyper aggressive and I get far too greedy.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Died to Micolash 3 times even though he's supposed to be easy. I even had a coop partner who unfortunately got killed by his tentacle magic. He gets this ridiculous 1 shot AoE magical attack that kills you instantly if it hits. God, he's annoying.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Died to Micolash 3 times even though he's supposed to be easy. I even had a coop partner who unfortunately got killed by his tentacle magic. He gets this ridiculous 1 shot AoE magical attack that kills you instantly if it hits. God, he's annoying.

Just make sure you stay close to him during his second phase. He only casts the AoE if you roll away or stay at a certain distance. You can also whack him out of the casting animation if you are quick.

Just strafe in circles around him to bait the Augur of Ebrietas attack (the tentacles) and then wail on him from behind. With a Beast Blood Pellet you'll kill him super quick.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Finally got my Platinum. It was a strangely bittersweet feeling.

wzYAHdZ.jpg

2AKsdPz.jpg

We are born of the blood.
Made men by the blood
Undone by the blood
Fear the old blood.

Farewell good Hunters.

May you find your worth in the waking world.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My favourite thing about Micolash is breaking his AI. If you keep him outside the room he runs in to (especially in the second phase) you can completely break his AI - I've had him leaping into one of the mirrors and rematerializing straight outside it on a loop. Running down the same flight of stairs on a loop. Had him just completely stand still and passively let you just mash R1 until he dies. The AI really doesn't seem to like getting hit or shot outside the rooms.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Amygdala yesterday. At first i was trying to always stay close behind her, but that didn't work out so well as i didn't do much damage from that position. So i tried instead to keep my distance, waiting for her to leave her arms exposed. That worked much better, at least until she entered her last phase. At that point i hugged her again until i brought her down.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Finally finished the well! It was a close one, too, but I used the shaman bone blade technique. I guessed on a direction to dodge when the second one dropped from the ceiling and it was correct. They ended up killing off each other at the same exact time. Was a good feeling.

Now if I could just kill the orphan, I'd be grand. Oh, I still have Lawrence, Yharnam, and the final bosses to do as well, but it should be easy compared to Orphan.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Finally finished the well! It was a close one, too, but I used the shaman bone blade technique. I guessed on a direction to dodge when the second one dropped from the ceiling and it was correct. They ended up killing off each other at the same exact time. Was a good feeling.

Now if I could just kill the orphan, I'd be grand. Oh, I still have Lawrence, Yharnam, and the final bosses to do as well, but it should be easy compared to Orphan.

They should have added a boss life bar to those sharks and no one would've batted an eye since they are so difficult. The Orphan is a real motherfucker but parries can make him manageable. I personally found the Defiled Chalice Bosses considerably more difficult than the DLC bosses.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The fight against Rom was pretty boring. The scene there after was a nice compensation.

My second visit to Unseen Village was much more difficult than my first time. All because of these damn bell ringers. I found running past most enemies a better strategy than to always engage them. Anyway, made it to the boss after many deaths. The scene that played before you fight him was just awesome. The fight was again nothing special, just running round and round while not getting hit and getting your own hits in. I'm not a fan of most huge beast fights in this game, but that's not much different from my Souls experience.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The fight against Rom was pretty boring. The scene there after was a nice compensation.

My second visit to Unseen Village was much more difficult than my first time. All because of these damn bell ringers. I found running past most enemies a better strategy than to always engage them. Anyway, made it to the boss after many deaths. The scene that played before you fight him was just awesome. The fight was again nothing special, just running round and round while not getting hit and getting your own hits in. I'm not a fan of most huge beast fights in this game, but that's not much different from my Souls experience.

Just remember to explore the Unseen Village a bit for loot, specially Blood Stone Chunks and a certain key.

The area after the Unseen Village is probably my favorite one in the game after Central Yahrnam.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Just started the game having resisted it for so long. Always felt the difficulty would be too much for me.

Having a good time so far. Am up to Father G. He's handed my ass to me a few times now. Nearly beat him on one occasion, but I lost my head when he was close to defeat and ended up dead myself.

Enjoying the combat mechanics a lot. The trolls (which I initially dreaded), are now my favourite enemy for practising visceral attack timing.

Probably my favourite part so far though is the level design. I'm loving the interconnectedness and gradual opening of shortcuts. The brutal nature of the game means that finding a shortcut gives an amplified sense of relief. But it also gives the game a really satisfying feeling of coherence.

Tldr: I'm an idiot for waiting this long to play what is shaping up to be a damn fine game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Probably my favourite part so far though is the level design. I'm loving the interconnectedness and gradual opening of shortcuts. The brutal nature of the game means that finding a shortcut gives an amplified sense of relief. But it also gives the game a really satisfying feeling of coherence.

The level design in this game is superb, specially central Yahrnam. The way it loops back onto itself is so damn cool. It might well be my favorite area in any game ever.

If you're having trouble with Gascoigne,
use the music box during his second phase to stun him and go ham on him.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
The level design in this game is superb, specially central Yahrnam. The way it loops back onto itself is so damn cool. It might well be my favorite area in any game ever.

If you're having trouble with Gascoigne,
use the music box during his second phase to stun him and go ham on him.

Beat the bugger.

Thanks for the tip - was useful. Also realised that I was spending too much time side/back jumping when he went phase 2. It was a lot easier once I started rolling into his attacks.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Made it through Cainhurst Castle. This is one of my favorite areas in the game. Just love the beautiful vistas. The boss Martyr Logarius was no slouch. Really had to make good use of my pistol to kill him.

Beat Ebrietas not long after. Was another hard fight. Her lasers always took me out. She didn't use them the one time i beat her. I stood in front of her and baited her head crush move. This didn't seem to trigger her lasers. When i tried from behind or left/right side of her, she always roasted me with them. Anyway, the last two boss fights were great and i hope the next few will be as well.

Will probably play until i'm right before the last boss fight and then take a pause from the game to tackle another one. When i'm done i'll be back for the DLC.

Last edited:

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Laurence down. Only a few more bosses left. How I beat Laurence before Orphan, I have no idea.
My last attempt at orphan was incredible until I ran out of bullets. I was literally parrying everything and didn't take a single hit until phase two. I really thought I was going to have it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Having a really hard time with Ebrietas. Her charges especially are almost impossible to dodge and do tons of damage.

Try to bait her head slam and punish accordingly. Pop in a Beast Blood Pellet plus Bolt Paper and you can kill her very quickly.

The charge is very hard to dodge, it's easier to avoid locking on while she's about to charge and then roll out of the way since you'll travel a longer distance. Also, It's possible to parry the charge.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The charge attacks are difficult to dodge, but try rolling sideways (lock off), rather than through them. Through an attack is the preferred dodging method for most things, but the charge attacks in this game have nasty hitboxes that make it very hard to do.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Slowly chipping away at the game over the past 2 months and finally made it to Nightmare of Mensis. Not sure exactly how far I am but feels like I might be heading into the final stretch. Still have a handful of optional areas to explore but I'm hoping to get my weapon fully upgraded before heading to those areas. Always figured these games would be too hard for me to finish, but who knows, maybe I might actually be able to beat it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Laurence down. Only a few more bosses left. How I beat Laurence before Orphan, I have no idea.
My last attempt at orphan was incredible until I ran out of bullets. I was literally parrying everything and didn't take a single hit until phase two. I really thought I was going to have it.

his phase two is just amped up to 11. Cool fight though.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought that the Kirkhammer was a joke weapon.

Well this NG run I am only playing the hammer and boy, the stagger power on Hammer Mode is just broken and you get very good DPS in Sword form.