• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Just realized on my NG run through I missed Ebrietas and the Celestial Emissary bosses. Looks like I never visited the Upper Cathedral Ward area either. Almost makes want to immediately start my NG+ run. Game backlog is already way too deep though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Almost makes want to immediately start my NG+ run. Game backlog is already way too deep though.

giphy.gif

Those other games can wait; the majesty of Bloodborne demands it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So After 3 long years, I went back to Bloodborne and fell in love all over again. What started as a simple run trying a new weapon (Threaded Cane) turned into a love affair once i started doing chalice dungeons right before taking on the final bosses. Got the platinum soon after. Only my third platinum this gen and easily my favorite simply because it didnt have me collect lizards, or crows or stupid pigeons. i was rewarded for simply exploring the world and beating all the hardest levels in the game.

I didnt like the Chalice Dungeons back at launch because they felt like a cheap distraction in an otherwise impeccably designed game. But this time around I realized how simple it was to just open the lever and unlock the boss room. Soon i was exploring as much as I could to find new gems and take on new bosses.

What's surprising is how many of these enemies just dont show up in the main game. I counted over a dozen enemy mobs and over a dozen new bosses. It felt like i was playing a brand new game. I also liked how many souls you got in these dungeons, they were hard as balls but felt rewarding at the same time. The Defiled Chalice was the hardest dungeon due to half health but manageable thanks to the NPC summons in the final area and boss fight.

Been grinding the cursed root chalices to get 27% attack gems and have been having a blast. Headless bloodletting beast and Pthumeru Descendant gave me such a hard time at first but then switched weapons and strategy after looking up some youtube videos and came back to kill them on the first try.

Amygdala FRC tonight. Time for some cursed nourshing gems. Stupid headless beast hasnt dropped a heavy abyssal yet. Destiny RNG strikes me again.

Lastly, I really love all the weapons in this game. I was one of those guys who prefered the RPG build variety of Dark Souls but i have come to appreciate how simple it is to turn your weapons into fire, bolt or magic weapons. no grinding for stones like in souls games. simply put the gems in and out. i also really like the weapons. The hammer is so much fun to use after you upgrade it. the threaded cane was very useful for mobs. the saw cleaver and saw spear are still high damage and fast weapons. Blade of Mercy are the best dual swords in a Souls game and Gehrman's Scythe is devastating.

In short, while i always thought this game was a masterpiece, i never fully understood it. the dungeons are simply brilliant and the weapon variety is much better than in souls games. This is probably my game of the gen now. No offense to god of war, the last guardian or Horizon, but BB is in a league of its own.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Currently doing a fresh run. Character's name is Hammer Mandrake (as in MC Hammer). Going to dual wield Kirk and Boom Hammers (Mandrake is a staple last name of all my BB/Souls creations).

Fashion wise: No shirt or hat. Gloves and pants only. Will eventually equip the Yamamura pants as those are closest to parachute pants.

Sort of screwed up the start by facing Gascoigne and Cleric Beast fully clothed but beyond that? Following the rules!

Warning: Long battle, as you can imagine.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Moonmoon is finally playing BB in a marathon stream. He had enough of chat telling him to play it. He beat the cleric beast and said he already can say he like the BB combat compared to all the other souls games, proving chat right

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Finally entered the DLC. Had to look up how to get there, I would've never found it ony own. I love the game, but sometimes it can be too cryptic.

Nov 13, 2017
I'd love to but I currently don't have any characters past Central Yharnam.

Are you consistently getting to the second phase? What weapon are you using and how much have you upgraded it?
I think my attire just sucks. Every time I die it's because of some new mistake. I also think I'm ver underleveled - there were a few bosses where I died before I could use their defeat's blood echoes.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I think my attire just sucks. Every time I die it's because of some new mistake. I also think I'm ver underleveled - there were a few bosses where I died before I could use their defeat's blood echoes.

I can get my PS4 out if yea really need me to. What did you level up and what level?

Mind you I am really rusty and that dude can be buggy.

Also if you use discord and reddit, the BB sub has a discord where you can ask for CoOp help as well.

I posted the link to discord which you can see by quoting this.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I can get my PS4 out if yea really need me to. What did you level up and what level?

Mind you I am really rusty and that dude can be buggy.

Also if you use discord and reddit, the BB sub has a discord where you can ask for CoOp help as well.

I posted the link to discord which you can see by quoting this.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Oh awesome! I will have to look into creating an account. I've got to go to bed now, but I can post again in here this weekend if I need help beating this fellow. I appreciate your help, everyone!

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I hate myself for it but...

I deleted Bloodborne without even touching the DLC. This means something, because it's one of my top 5 games ever.

But I can't help it. Had some time to spend yesterday and played some Quake Champions, then two hours of Dead Cells. For a long time, I wanted to return to Bloodborne and finally, I had the time for it and was in the mood to hopp in. Oh boy did that game feel bad after playing those games at 100+ fps directly before. It was so distracting.
I know that if I would spend 1 - 2 hours, I would adjust and it would be somewhat fine. I mean I played the game a ton upon release (had no gaming PC back then tho). Thing is, I just don't want to adjust to it anymore. For years, I never thought I would be like this but I can't go back. Damn.My loss, I guess.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Oh awesome! I will have to look into creating an account. I've got to go to bed now, but I can post again in here this weekend if I need help beating this fellow. I appreciate your help, everyone!

If it's his first phase, hit and run helps.

If you're stuck at his second phase:

If you want to be cheap about it (like I did on a recent playthrough), you can exploit a glitch by causing him (in his second phase) to go into an infinite loop while being poisoned. 10 or so Poison Knives should do the trick (it takes 3 to poison him. Don't throw the 4th until you're sure. You know he's poisoned because he'll start running and respawn in the same place). He'll eventually die.

If you're still stuck, let me know and I'll help you (the Bowblade is another hilarious way to cheese him).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
era, I need some advice/recommendations.

I finished the game many times, but never did a proper arcane build. I started one at some point, but did stop playing for some reason. So right now I'm playing it again with my fire cleaver wrecking beasts left and right, but I wonder what I should use besides that.

I read the arcanist guide on reddit, but I don't really know what to do.

1) Bolt weapon: I used the Tonitrus on my old build but did not like it. The range is bad and it breaks all the time. So I need something else for bolt gems. I thought about the Beasthunter Saif. I never really used it so that would be a plus (and I can run to it to get it early). Ludwigs HB would be fun too, but the strength requirements are pretty high.

2) Arcane conversion: is it worth it? Is there anything weak to arcane damage so that it makes any sense to use it? If I understood correctly the Wheel (Logarius though argh XD) is a great weapon (I never used)

Thanks all!

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
era, I need some advice/recommendations.

I finished the game many times, but never did a proper arcane build. I started one at some point, but did stop playing for some reason. So right now I'm playing it again with my fire cleaver wrecking beasts left and right, but I wonder what I should use besides that.

I read the arcanist guide on reddit, but I don't really know what to do.

1) Bolt weapon: I used the Tonitrus on my old build but did not like it. The range is bad and it breaks all the time. So I need something else for bolt gems. I thought about the Beasthunter Saif. I never really used it so that would be a plus (and I can run to it to get it early). Ludwigs HB would be fun too, but the strength requirements are pretty high.

2) Arcane conversion: is it worth it? Is there anything weak to arcane damage so that it makes any sense to use it? If I understood correctly the Wheel (Logarius though argh XD) is a great weapon (I never used)

Thanks all!

So I think people have mentioned it in this thread but Arcane builds are...not fun until much later in the game. However if you do scale to 99 arcane, you presumably can start 1-2 shotting certain bosses. The arcane build is the one build I still haven't done tbh so take my word with a grain of salt here.

In terms of weapons, I'd say anything that scales to at least B on Arcane (at max) will make your life easier. Both greatswords do this (to A no less). The tonitrus can be a useful weapon but the lack of range on it (and durability) makes it somewhat frustrating to use (it's also a blunt weapon if I recall). In terms of gains from arcane conversion, the Blades of Mercy are incredible in this regard. Lit up or bolt'd, the DPS can be off the charts. In my current run, an enchanted Kirkhammer in hammer form does monster damage and I haven't even scaled Arc too much.

You ultimately want the KOS parasite though (if you're going for the full Squid build).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Man, an Arcane build sounds enticing. I ought to do an Arcane run one of this days.

I'm starting to get an itch for playing this game again. I've like 30 games I that I've either bought on sale for super cheap, or gotten through PS+ and yet all I want to play is more BB.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
i've never farmed for meta gems before. how do you go about doing it, is there a good guide for which ones to try, or do you just use specific passwords that have good ones in them? i've only done chalice dungeons up to the trophy point then threw them out the window.

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Dynedom thanks for your reply. An arcane build is both pretty hard but also easy mode at many points. Even early in the game.
The biggest problem for new players is the lack of HP and physical damage as you basically pump everything into Arcane. But beasts do really suffer using fire paper and the fire thrower.

And when you get the fire gem and/or farm some in the second level of the first dungeon beasts die like with no build I played before.

I would not recommend it for a first play through

But some examples that are really easy with higher arcane stats:
  • fire paper and flame sprayer against Amelia
  • Fire sprayer against Paarl
  • Amygdala with executioner gloves (lol)
  • Beast mobs in general
  • Kin with bolt

Anyway. I picked Ludwig's Holy Blade. Awesome weapon. My ultimate goal is Broccoli Mode of course. To bad I have to fight this screaming fucker again for it lol. My nemesis

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm not an expert but afaik the tools don't deal enough damage with only some points in arcane to justify the investment.
And hunters bone, roar etc are not the best way to spend bullets imo.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Two things for Orphan. One you've probably already learned is exploiting the gun parry. The other is that he has this one attack where he overshoots and jumps over you (the trick I think is that you might dodge backwards 'into' his attack). When he does this charge up an R2 backstab and turn it to him and trigger a visceral.

Some weapons are a bit janky when it comes to the R2 backstab counter, had difficulty doing it with chikage for instance

Not sure what to say about his second phase really. Fight him on the water so you can dodge his electricity arcs. There's still some opportunities for R2 backstab but it's much more difficult and risky.

Dodge. A lot.

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
Any tips for Orphan of Kos? This guy might be the hardest soulsborne boss ever for me.

Great patience. His first phase isn't that bad once you figure out his telegraphs. I avoided the two circular swinging attacks he has, and then got close/behind him for everything else. I'd say don't stay in front of him, but that's pretty basic Bloodborne stuff!

Snausages's tips are on point. Take the fight to the water; flat terrain and space are essential. If you figure out which moves can be parried, and you can learn how to take advatage of his leap to backstab him, you'll do so much damage in his first phase. (It's something long the lines of step towards him a little as he's about to leap, then turn 180 degrees, lock on and hold R2).
I combined my runes for extra visceral damage, visceral health, and visceral bullet recovery. It means I could get to his second phase with most of my vials intact.

The second phase feels more random and terrifying, but there's a pattern there still. I just used a hit and run tactic for this. He can cover huge distance coming for you. If you can figure out when to get close, you'll make progress. He finishes a couple of combos with a leap, which can leave a window to attack if you can stay safe but close by. I remember distinctly that the leap attack where he throws umbicial fluid (or whatever the hell it is), that second attack is always directly opposite the first.

Best of luck!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Two things for Orphan. One you've probably already learned is exploiting the gun parry. The other is that he has this one attack where he overshoots and jumps over you (the trick I think is that you might dodge backwards 'into' his attack). When he does this charge up an R2 backstab and turn it to him and trigger a visceral.

Some weapons are a bit janky when it comes to the R2 backstab counter, had difficulty doing it with chikage for instance

Not sure what to say about his second phase really. Fight him on the water so you can dodge his electricity arcs. There's still some opportunities for R2 backstab but it's much more difficult and risky.

Dodge. A lot.
Great patience. His first phase isn't that bad once you figure out his telegraphs. I avoided the two circular swinging attacks he has, and then got close/behind him for everything else. I'd say don't stay in front of him, but that's pretty basic Bloodborne stuff!

Snausages's tips are on point. Take the fight to the water; flat terrain and space are essential. If you figure out which moves can be parried, and you can learn how to take advatage of his leap to backstab him, you'll do so much damage in his first phase. (It's something long the lines of step towards him a little as he's about to leap, then turn 180 degrees, lock on and hold R2).
I combined my runes for extra visceral damage, visceral health, and visceral bullet recovery. It means I could get to his second phase with most of my vials intact.

The second phase feels more random and terrifying, but there's a pattern there still. I just used a hit and run tactic for this. He can cover huge distance coming for you. If you can figure out when to get close, you'll make progress. He finishes a couple of combos with a leap, which can leave a window to attack if you can stay safe but close by. I remember distinctly that the leap attack where he throws umbicial fluid (or whatever the hell it is), that second attack is always directly opposite the first.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the replies:))
I reinstalled Bloodborne two days ago after i gave up for nearly a year just because of this screaming bastard, needless to say that i am rusty as heck and he destroyed me several times without any hope to reach the second form.
The first phase gives me trouble, because i get to greedy and because my hits don't stop him as i would like they do. The patterns aren't the problem, it's the greed in my head.
Don't remember the second phase properly, only that he becomes a super aggressive beast and screams like a maniac.
I'm not sure if i ever have reached the third phase, i don't think so.

He is super difficult for me.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stake Driver is kind of fun. Unless you're fighting Paarl. Then it's shit. Shitty shit shit shiggity shit. I gotta stop fucking around and speed run to these claws already.

If there is one thing I've come to dread, it's how with every new character I gotta start out with the same three weapons time and time again. Gotten to the point I'm so desperate to mix things up I gotta use this driver thing.

Also, Bloodletter is a godly weapon. If you've never used it, you're missing out. One of my favorite weapons in the game. It is glorious in every way. Even in its little mace form.

Top 5 weapons, you've heard it here first:

1. Blade of Mercy
2. Bloodletter
3. Church Pick
4. Pizza Cutter
5. Rakuyo, I guess

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've been rocking the axe, but I'm thinking of switching to something else, just to try it out. But then I get stuck on what to pick. Since I'm used to huge range and slow movement, something quick and "in-your-face" might be the way to go.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
something quick and "in-your-face" might be the way to go.

The Blade of Mercy is the very definition of this. Quickest attack speed in the game and requires you to get up close and personal as it has very little range. It's a weapon that demands a lot of movement, as its most powerful attacks are its dash and running attacks. But still, sometimes you can find yourself an opportunity to just R1 spam an enemy and shred them to pieces.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love how I keep coming back to this game and have so much fun with a new weapon. This time I found a lost reiterpallasch while running through a FRC chalice and figured ok let's give this a try. Does alot more damage than I thought and paired it with the loch shield for maximum fancy :D

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Any tips for Orphan of Kos? This guy might be the hardest soulsborne boss ever for me.

I found you need to be as aggressive as him on Phase 2. The first time I finally beat him, I just stuck to him and dodged through his attacks on his left side (I think). You have to be a bit relentless. I found his most annoying attack was actually the jumping projectile spam. Aside from that, you can time your dodges.

NG+ Orphan is much harder in on Phase 2. Almost unfairly so.

Also, fighting him on the water helps with the lightning but also removes some of the annoying terrain issues in the fight (that can prevent viscerals or block your dodge).

I've been rocking the axe, but I'm thinking of switching to something else, just to try it out. But then I get stuck on what to pick. Since I'm used to huge range and slow movement, something quick and "in-your-face" might be the way to go.

What stats have you been progressing? If you're looking for a quick weapon and

a) Have been leveling STR: look into Ludwig's holy blade. The silver sword is fun and chain stuns. The transformed form has almost cheap range when used properly. Both can be enchanted for maximum fuckery.

b) Have been leveling SKL: Depending on where you are: the Blades of Mercy. Believe this still is the highest DPS weapon in the game (when enchanted and with the right gems). Honestly even the Saw Cleaver is a good weapon early on. Alternative to the Blades is the Rakuyo but that's well into the DLC.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
What stats have you been progressing? If you're looking for a quick weapon and

a) Have been leveling STR: look into Ludwig's holy blade. The silver sword is fun and chain stuns. The transformed form has almost cheap range when used properly. Both can be enchanted for maximum fuckery.

b) Have been leveling SKL: Depending on where you are: the Blades of Mercy. Believe this still is the highest DPS weapon in the game (when enchanted and with the right gems). Honestly even the Saw Cleaver is a good weapon early on. Alternative to the Blades is the Rakuyo but that's well into the DLC.
Since I was playing axe, I was told to focus on STR, so that's what I've been doing. I'm still in my first playthrough (I'm just entering Nightmare Mensis), so I'm something like 36 STR and 11 SKL.

Which is just fine, as I believe I missed the sidequest that got me the badge for the Blades of Mercy. I'm not 100% certain, as I am not currently home to check.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Orphan is often cited as the hardest Soulsborne boss, yes.

He's hard mostly because of the very wide variety of moves he has. Learn which ones you can punish and which ones you can't. Many of his close range moves can be punished though, and some can be easily parried without too much risk. The bigger swings usually aren't worth trying to punish imo. He has a very large health pool, so trading hits usually doesn't work in your favor.

His second phase is when he gets really hard imo, but I found that the best way to handle him is to try to stay close if he's close with you. What I mean is that if he jumps at you, dodge him, but stay on his ass until he flies away on his own accord. At close range, many of his attacks overshoot and give you free hits, even if the camera is going crazy and you can't quite see your own character.

If he's at a distance, let him come to you because sometimes he'll spend quite a while jumping around out of reach, and trying to chase him down won't get you very far.

His lightning cry attack comes from Kos itself, so either get into the water to give yourself more space to dodge the lightning wave, or unlock from Orphan and roll over it.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Since I was playing axe, I was told to focus on STR, so that's what I've been doing. I'm still in my first playthrough (I'm just entering Nightmare Mensis), so I'm something like 36 STR and 11 SKL.

Which is just fine, as I believe I missed the sidequest that got me the badge for the Blades of Mercy. I'm not 100% certain, as I am not currently home to check.

Nothing wrong with an STR-heavy build. The way I see it, go for Ludwig's Holy Blade. As an alternative fun as shit weapon, the Whirlygig Saw in the DLC is incredible. Ludwig will give you the speed you want though (in silver sword mode).

I didn't try to fight him in my NG run. I regret everything

It might even be better. Once you learn him on NG+, any further runs (on NG or NG+2 and beyond will be fine). The adjustment from NG to NG+ is a slap in the face.

Funny enough re: Orphan. I'm on him right now with my MC Hammer build and he is still fucking my shit up. sigh (I'm choosing not to parry with this character and it suuuuucks)

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Double Post regarding Orphan:

Experimented with a parry strat through both phases. It's perfectly doable if your reaction time is good and you don't panic too much (which I nearly did when I finally got him). Will upload my vid proof. This wasn't even my Skill/BT build. If it was, this would have been over in minutes, ugh. Why did I not have the balls to parry his second phase before today?

2 Clawmark Runes (+10%, +20%)
Blood Rapture Rune

Unlevelled Hunter Pistol
Boom Hammer +10 (only really came into play 2 or 3 times, including the final blow)

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Good job man. There's no feeling in gaming like beating a hard Soulsborne boss that has been giving you a hard time. Savor it.

I feel I have a ton of 'died with the boss at a pixel of health' moments. I get so greedy when I'm about to beat them that I just go all in.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I love about the Soulsborne games is that, even having played through them myself and read up on them, I still love hearing from people getting through the bosses and tricky points - it's really amazing to hear about and remember those emotions. Well done h0tp0ck3t - good work.