• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Started this last night as my 2nd PS4 game. Without being too spoilery could someone indicate if it is possible to summon NPC's in the game? And how you would do it? I've finished Demons + Dark series previously, so I have some experience with the systems. In those games though, I find the exploration of the world immensely rewarding, and I can defeat most of the enemies (even if it's just with cheese tactics). But, I've never been any good at the bosses and I pretty much just summon for them, humans, NPC's, or both.

Difference here is, I need PSN to summon players, and as I already pay for XBL, I can't be paying for PSN. So, I'm stuck offline only, and I'll have to rely just on the NPC summons. But so far, I don't see summon signs or anything.

• Upgraded the Hunters Axe to +2 (I can't find any other shards, is it possible to get it to +3 before fighting the Cleric Beast boss?)
  • I found another weapon the Saw Spear, it didn't seem as strong as the Axe (I've been 2H it) so I didn't upgrade it. Hopefully not a mistake.
  • Found and equipped the Hunters Set.
  • Doll is alive to level up, I'm level 20.
  • I have the Old Hunters Bell
  • I've pretty much cleared out everything in Central Yharnam I can find and opened the shortcuts. The city is pretty much empty currently as I have not gone back to Hunters Dream.
  • I spoke with Eileen the Crow and got some Bold Hunters Marks.
  • Found the Cleric Beast and it is destroying me, hence looking for an NPC to summon, if any ;)
  • I don't have the Old Hunters DLC, I figured I would finish the base game first and it gives it time to hopefully go on sale. No rush!

It feels sooooo good to be back in a souls game exploring the world, it's been a long while since I finished off the Dark Souls 3 DLC. There's nothing quite like it! This is the first one I've had to do without online though, I sure do miss the notes, ghosts, and other players.
Glad you're enjoying it, I was in the same position a month ago when I got hold of a PS4 to play some exclusives.

You can summon NPCs, though I can't remember where each of them are, you should be able to summon for most if not all bosses. You'll find them in the world usually fairly close to a boss, they're kind of orange-y looking signs on the ground. Pretty obvious when you see one - you'll need to expend 1 Insight to summon. Don't worry too much about weapons right now - if you're having fun with one type and you know how to use it, you'll be fine.

Also, I think you can get a 14 day PS+ trial, but that might be limited to new accounts/first time PS+.

Keep going with the Cleric Beast solo if you can and pay attention to its' body. Do you notice anything in particular?

If you find you're really enjoying the game, the DLC is very good and adds several hours. I bought the GOTY version so I had it included, I did the DLC around level 80 or something, around 2/3 of the way through my playthrough. Be aware that you can't access the DLC separately and you access it after defeating a certain boss, so I think if you bought it after that boss is already dead, you might have to do a new playthrough or NG+..? I'm not sure, maybe someone can correct me here.

Potential area tease if you're feeling stuck:

Unless you forgot to mention something, it sounds like you haven't fully cleared out Central Yharnham. Keep looking. ;)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Started this last night as my 2nd PS4 game. Without being too spoilery could someone indicate if it is possible to summon NPC's in the game? And how you would do it? I've finished Demons + Dark series previously, so I have some experience with the systems. In those games though, I find the exploration of the world immensely rewarding, and I can defeat most of the enemies (even if it's just with cheese tactics). But, I've never been any good at the bosses and I pretty much just summon for them, humans, NPC's, or both.

There are some NPC summons, not for every boss but a few. Summons cost 1 insight, and you get that through discovering things (areas, bosses etc) and using madman's knowledge consumable item.

There is a summon for Cleric Beast:
Around the fountain at the plaza where the giant is banging on the door.
Cleric Beast is an optional boss, so you can come back later if you're having trouble, but the other boss to find now is more difficult and iirc he does not have a summon, so....

Re the DLC: it works like in DS1 where it throws you straight in to NG+ after the final boss, so if you do want to get it (and it's highly recommended, some of the best bosses in the entire Souls series) - do it before the final boss as doing the DLC in NG+ can be brutal first time, it's quite tough.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it, I was in the same position a month ago when I got hold of a PS4 to play some exclusives.

You can summon NPCs, though I can't remember where each of them are, you should be able to summon for most if not all bosses. You'll find them in the world usually fairly close to a boss, they're kind of orange-y looking signs on the ground. Pretty obvious when you see one - you'll need to expend 1 Insight to summon.

There are some NPC summons, not for every boss but a few. Summons cost 1 insight, and you get that through discovering things (areas, bosses etc) and using madman's knowledge consumable item.

Great, thanks! A question on insight... if I only get it from discovering areas/bosses and a consumable item (I've found some Madman's Knowledge), and I need it for summoning... does that mean that there is a limited number of times I can summon during any playthrough? (Or maybe I can farm Madman's Knowledge later...).

I'll go back and look for that summon sign.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It can be hard to come by early on, but it's not difficult to get insight. I've never farmed madman's knowledge per se, but I always end up with way more than I would need, especially if you do the chalice dungeons as well as the main game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Great, thanks! A question on insight... if I only get it from discovering areas/bosses and a consumable item (I've found some Madman's Knowledge), and I need it for summoning... does that mean that there is a limited number of times I can summon during any playthrough? (Or maybe I can farm Madman's Knowledge later...).

I'll go back and look for that summon sign.

AFAIK there's no way to farm Madman's Knowledge but Insight is technically a "renewable" resource since you can farm it in two ways:

a) since you get insight for discovering and beating bosses, the Chalice dungeons (optional side areas you'll encounter a bit later on) are a source of infinite insight since it is possible to generate a potentially infinite amount of instances of the dungeons with fresh bosses that'll give you insight.

b) If you use your small resonant bell, you can help other players beat bosses and that'll grant you insight. (assuming you are playing online). So you can spend some time helping people with a boss after you've beaten it, or before as it will help you learn the boss. However this of course is contingent on there actually being players who are trying to summon for help. The game is 3 and a half years old so who knows how long you'd have to wait to get summoned. I played in March and I actually got summoned quite a bit, and by the end I had so much insight that it actually became a problem. Oops, I just read you are plaing offline!

I wouldn't worry too much about running out of insight. The game showers you with Madman's knowledge so you'll be fine. Also keep in mind that having a ton of insight can actually make the game a bit harder: it makes you much more susceptible to Frenzy (a negative status effect) and it also decreases the effectiveness of your Beasthood Stat.

Last edited:

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Kos is dead.

On to Laurence.

By the way, I don't really understand where I'm supposed to get some of the materials required for the chalice dungeons I've supposedly unlocked. One requires 25 or arcane dust something like that and I can't even buy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Kos is dead.

On to Laurence.

By the way, I don't really understand where I'm supposed to get some of the materials required for the chalice dungeons I've supposedly unlocked. One requires 25 or arcane dust something like that and I can't even buy it.

You get them from challice dungeons. So while technically youve got all the challices in the base game, there's actually a kind of linear progression of them and you have to start with that first one from Bloodatarved.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
ijsakiT.gif

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Kos is dead.

On to Laurence.

Did you get the Arcane Workshop yet? You can convert chalice materials into dust if need be.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
Hey guys. Trying to beat Amygdala in the defiled chalice and can only get him to 50 percent. Could anyone help? Trying to go for a trophy. Please message me if interested.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hey guys. Trying to beat Amygdala in the defiled chalice and can only get him to 50 percent. Could anyone help? Trying to go for a trophy. Please message me if interested.

I can try to help on the weekend, though I feel that sometimes summoning against these bosses actually makes them harder since it adds 50% more HP to the boss per player summoned, and as you mentioned it already has a metric fuck-ton of HP as it is. I remember trying to help people with the Defiled Watchdog and it was just impossible, you would barely dent its lifebar and it's also much more chaotic.

One tip that I can give you, if you don't mind cheesing it, is using the Simon Bowblade (which can be found in the DLC) and just landing crits on its head. Takes about 10 minutes of dodging, strafing backwards along the arena and tedium to kill it, but it's relatively easy and trivializes the fight for the most part.

Last edited:

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
I can try to help on the weekend, though I feel that sometimes summoning against these bosses actually makes them harder since it adds 50% more HP to the boss per player summoned, and as you mentioned it already has a metric fuck-ton of HP as it is. I remember trying to help people with the Defiled Watchdog and it was just impossible, you would barely dent its lifebar and it's also much more chaotic.

One tip that I can give you, if you don't mind cheesing it, is using the Simon Bowblade (which can be found in the DLC) and just landing crits on its head. Takes about 10 minutes of dodging, strafing backwards along the arena and tedium to kill it, but it's relatively easy and trivializes the fight for the most part.

Yeah I was thinking about the extra 50% health too when others help. Looks like I may have to put Amy on the back burner and level up some more. I used like 40 blood vials on him last night and didn't make much progress so I have to go farming for those sometime today.

The trouble is I have to beat him to get that stupid trophy, plus there are some dungeons locked behind him that I need to farm for blood gems for my uncanny ludwig's.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I used like 40 blood vials on him last night and didn't make much progress so I have to go farming for those sometime today.

How far through the game are you?
If you're at end game, just
do the route from Mergo's Loft to the path to the boss, then run back to the lantern. You get comical amounts of echoes doing that, and it takes about 3 minutes at most. I can't remember off the top of my head, but you could probably buy over 20 vials from each run.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Quality build with about 30 points into arcane as well.
OK so you should be pretty powerful. My recommendation is to use Ludwig's Holy Blade and use the transformed... I think L2 is the overhead swing? Stay in front of it, let it trash and flail about and be patient, then when the head lowers, run in and get one hit or two, then retreat. If your back is against the wall try to move around to make sure Amy is in front of you with plenty of space to your back for dodging backwards.

Do you have the DLC? Because if so, in the last phase, openings to the head are a bit scarcer, but you can use your bullets to spam Blacksky Eye at the head from a safe distance. If not, perhaps Executioner's Gloves might do the trick too.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
There's also the trick with Amygdala where you stand under his tail, which makes him do his jump attack which will whiff and give you a shot at its head with some weapons. I didn't do this, so I can't give advice but there are videos online.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Amygdala by attacking its tail.

Also don't farm blood vial, buy them, I'm sure the enemies in the chalice give a lot of echoes, enough to buy hundred of vials.

Oct 25, 2017
Also don't farm blood vial, buy them, I'm sure the enemies in the chalice give a lot of echoes, enough to buy hundred of vials.

They actually don't. Challice's eat up blood vials (at least the bosses do). There are a couple good echo farming spots tho. The two I think of is the lecture room in the 1st floor lecture building in the nightmare or just running through and killing everyone in the final stretch of Mergo's Loft. Do those like two or three times and you'll be flushed in vial money.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I remember in some chalice dungeons, a few enemies and I had ten of thousand echoes, largely enough to buy a lot of blood vials.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most players run in to having to farm vials on their first run, don't let it put you off.

Besides farming, you can also spend left over souls after leveling up on vials, or just not level up after every other boss or so and spend it on vials instead. Also trying to make better use of regain can really help - the game rewards aggressive play, so if you're hit attacking can be the best thing to do rather than falling back to heal. I think there are runes that boost regain, they could come in handy although I've never used them myself (too much of a loot whore so I only ever equip the ones that give you more souls - also helpful to buy more vials!)

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah starting at Mergos Loft Middle with the blood echoes memories activated, run up the stairs to the left and start with the 3 Shadows of Yahrman type guys then sneak attack visceral the hog (14,000 echoes just for him) and proceed from there. There's 6 more of the Shadows guys in this area and two more hogs which are tough but you can cheese them in the little corner by their stairs that they can't quite get into. I get somewhere around 70,000 echoes for this run and it only takes around 5 minutes.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah starting at Mergos Loft Middle with the blood echoes memories activated, run up the stairs to the left and start with the 3 Shadows of Yahrman type guys then sneak attack visceral the hog (14,000 echoes just for him) and proceed from there. There's 6 more of the Shadows guys in this area and two more hogs which are tough but you can cheese them in the little corner by their stairs that they can't quite get into. I get somewhere around 70,000 echoes for this run and it only takes around 5 minutes.

That's the one.

The pigs will fight the Shadows if you just sprint through that path, up the stairs and around the corner.

My play time of BB was 25% fisting pigs, 25% getting wrecked by the last DLC boss, 50% everything else.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips and suggestions. Ended up cheesing the shit out of Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice, and I'm now on my way to bludgeoning the Pthumerian Queen and farming for my physical blood gems!

Oct 27, 2017
Is the
headless bloodletting beast
required for the plat? I don't ever remember fighting that thing.

Just decided to jump back in for the 4th time but on a new character. I got the plat before but didn't finish all the dlc bosses because I'm weak. Excited to go through this masterpiece again.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
The Headless Bloodletting Beast is the boss right before the Pthumerian Queen, and she's a gold trophy.

This is one of the few games where I would consider the dlc absolutely essential, everything from the weapons to the boss fights. I'm about to go through it again because I missed both of the hunter tools and some Caryll runes during my first play through.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeaaah Blood Starved Beast is dead!

I'm such a scrub!

So now I can unlock Chalice Dungeons is that how it works? Looks like it still needs a consumable to do so? Is it worth it to go now, or is this something I should keep waiting for?

Should I buy that Hunter Chief Emblem for 10K?

Is there a "Drake Sword" in Bloodborne? An overpowered newb weapon to give you a leg up at the start. I'll save the proper weapons and builds for a second playthrough.

Or perhaps switch to a serrated weapon since they do bonus beast damage? I have not really got a "build" yet, basically I didn't raise anything except VIT to get to ~ 1000 hp, and that's all I've done. Well, I also got that Hunters Axe to +3 which seemed like a big deal at the time, but now it's raining shards so it's less of an issue to upgrade a different weapon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started my second playthrough, oh I've missed it since then. Last time I managed to screw up some ninety percent of the quests (going in blind) and lets just say, most met with a grisly demise...

Now that I have the time and understanding to reckon all this Gehrman talk, I'm finding the story even more engaging. There sure is a lot of cosmos/birth/blood story parallels in this game.

It's so wonderful! I'm so glad to be back! I can't wait to actually hunt with Eileen! (Managed to miss her the first time around. Didn't understand the moon phases.) Playing the game 90% blind really meant I completed tasks waaaaay out of order, hahaha.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yeaaah Blood Starved Beast is dead!

I'm such a scrub!

So now I can unlock Chalice Dungeons is that how it works? Looks like it still needs a consumable to do so? Is it worth it to go now, or is this something I should keep waiting for?

Should I buy that Hunter Chief Emblem for 10K?

Is there a "Drake Sword" in Bloodborne? An overpowered newb weapon to give you a leg up at the start. I'll save the proper weapons and builds for a second playthrough.

Or perhaps switch to a serrated weapon since they do bonus beast damage? I have not really got a "build" yet, basically I didn't raise anything except VIT to get to ~ 1000 hp, and that's all I've done. Well, I also got that Hunters Axe to +3 which seemed like a big deal at the time, but now it's raining shards so it's less of an issue to upgrade a different weapon.

There's nothing like the Drake Sword. The Hunter Axe you have now is a great weapon and the one I used for my first playthrough because the spin attack is so useful. Experiment with other weapons though!

I didn't touch chalice dungeons until endgame which was a mistake in hindsight. Do the one you just unlocked as soon as you have all the materials - it'll be trivial and boring when you're higher level.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do the chalice dungeons until the Dlc. I got my stats up to use every weapon and used the early dungeons as a way to test out all the weapons. It is, I think, the ideal way to do them.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Outstanding post Elodes. I gave it a quick read and I'll read it in more depth later, but I love when people take the time to analyze and dissect these games.

Bloodborne is truly one of the best games of all time, as it's sort of the peak of the concepts and mechanics introduced with Demon's in terms of polish and execution, and it deserves that we constantly ask why it is that good and what makes it tick.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I was close to dropping it during my first hour. To be honest, the main reason I kept pushing forward was because a friend of mine insisted that the game "wasn't for me". Now Bloodborne is one of my favorite games in the last decade. Thanks, spite!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I mean, I get if someone plays one of the games it doesn't click for him / her. There's no accounting for taste, that's fine, and the games are different from most of the game most people play. The games do demand more commitment than the average game these days. There's gotta be some adjustment. It took me like 4 or 5 hours for DS1 to make sense to me back in the day. As much as I like the games I totally get if somone doesn't like them. My brother is a pretty hardcore gamer by any definition of the word, and yet he actively dislikes the From games. It's cool.

What ruffles my feathers is the need for some people to feel special by creating soapbox threads that boil down to 'well, I played BB, DS for an hour and gosh what an awful game where's the map no respect for my time I got lost terrible level design so overrated pffff'.

Oct 25, 2017
What ruffles my feathers is the need for some people to feel special by creating soapbox threads that boil down to 'well, I played BB, DS for an hour and gosh what an awful game where's the map no respect for my time I got lost terrible level design so overrated pffff'.

This. I love BB and it's one of the games I know pretty much in and out, but everytime I see a lttp thread about it pop up I just know it's going to be either shit or meh at best. To all those LTTP threads credit though, they helped me realize that most random smoes on the internet talking about "level design" or other vague game concepts are really just talking out their asses, trying to make their "i didn't like it" sound less subjective. Which I don't get. It's okay not to like a thing, doesn't make it bad. I didn't particularly care for a lot of Life is Strange but I'm not writing whole essays about it's writing and narrative structure. I just didn't like it is all.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Outstanding post Elodes. I gave it a quick read and I'll read it in more depth later, but I love when people take the time to analyze and dissect these games.

Bloodborne is truly one of the best games of all time, as it's sort of the peak of the concepts and mechanics introduced with Demon's in terms of polish and execution, and it deserves that we constantly ask why it is that good and what makes it tick.

Thank you, Noema ! Yes -- I feel like as much praise as the Soulsborne games get, there are still aspects of it that people keep missing; particularly, developers often seem to think that it is the combat or the "fair difficulty" of these games that make them stand out; but there are so many more sides to these games, prime amongst which is their coherency. This kind of metatextual coherency is probably my favourite quality in any type of work; I really hope that more developers will be inspired by it.

I never thought of how the Ludwig boss fight is kind of an inverse Gascoigne fight. I enjoyed that thread.

Thanks! After I beat the game, I'm eager to take a look at how each boss relates to the others, to find out what niches and spaces they fill.