• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
TMtvCpK.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

This is more disturbing terrifying than anything in the game. Especially furry Lady Maria(n) nooooooooooooooooo

(That said Father Goofigne cracked me up something fierce)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Holy shit, I'm getting bodied by NG+ Amygdala, lmao. Beat her in one try on NG, now she's so much harder it's insane. Does she have new moves? She's consistently one-shotting me right at the beginning of the fight, and I have nearly 40 vitality I think. Was expecting this to be over in two tries max. I'm shocked.

So apparently this is happening

and I'm dying to see more from this event especially the early concept art there.

Dude if you do try and take some good pictures, I haven't seen anyone documenting this stuff for people who don't live nearby outside of kotaku UK but even they only took one picture of those amazing looking sketchbooks. I'd love to know who's sketchbook that is exactly because I wonder if that could be Miyazaki's,I cant remember ever hearing about him doing concept art before but I have to imagine he does to some extent just to get his ideas across to the other artists.
So I took a buuuuuuunch of pictures of this, this isn't quite everything there but it's most of it. I'll just link the Twitter thread rather than posting a ton of images in here. No details on who drew the sketches.

...Also this was incredible and caught me super off guard.

Last edited:

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
So I took a buuuuuuunch of pictures of this, this isn't quite everything there but it's most of it. I'll just link the Twitter thread rather than posting a ton of images in here. No details on who drew the sketches.

Fucking awesome dude! seriously thanks for taking all the pics. For real all of those sketches are amazing, I so wish we had more of that in the actual art book because those super early sketches of the concepts being plotted out are some of the most interesting things that I'd want to see.
And yeah random ass Micolash theme being piped out of the speakers is great....what would have been perfect is if they had his moans to go along with it lol.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Holy shit, I'm getting bodied by NG+ Amygdala, lmao. Beat her in one try on NG, now she's so much harder it's insane. Does she have new moves? She's consistently one-shotting me right at the beginning of the fight, and I have nearly 40 vitality I think. Was expecting this to be over in two tries max. I'm shocked.

Thanks for sharing those.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why does this always happen to me?

DtAzt2aXQAESFpg.jpg:orig

Also, I had 45(!) Vitality, not "nearly 40". And she was still destroying me in one hit.

Anyway, here's some more pics.

20181126_144723.jpg

20181126_144753.jpg

20181126_145124.jpg

20181126_144840.jpg

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Ah you're getting counter-hit. The first instance where you jumped and the second were when you were full sprint. Counter damage in the game is insane with its scaling.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with the door you open from the inside of the building in Byrgenwerth?

I've been watching Eurogamer's let's play of this, and I forgot that was a thing, and it still confuses me.

It's not a shortcut, because it probably takes longer to go that way, and there's not a reason to go out there on your first run through the area if you do it on your first try, as you pass that door from the outside.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Who knows. Maybe it's a residue of an older build in which Byrgenwerth was much larger and was actually connected to the lecture halls. There's evidence from data mining that the areas where indeed connected at some point.

I feel that the locked door at the end of the Cleric Beast bridge is a similar situation.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely I can't be the only person who completely missed the Hemwick Charnel entrance without a guide? So much of BB is deliciously layered and labyrinth'd, I ran right past it for the ominous cathedral above lmao

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Who knows. Maybe it's a residue of an older build in which Byrgenwerth was much larger and was actually connected to the lecture halls. There's evidence from data mining that the areas where indeed connected at some point.

I feel that the locked door at the end of the Cleric Beast bridge is a similar situation.
I still don't get why the Cleric Beast bridge door doesn't open. What's the harm? I can only think its due to a technical issue, because it makes no sense game-wise.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, it's strange, specially considering it actually does link to another part of Central Yharnam. It'd been a cool way to make it feel connected specially since a Lamp Spawns there after killing Cleric Beast The client

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Arrrghhhhh finally beat First Vicar Laurence, but a bit ticked about it... Valtr died at the end and I didn't get the vermin, so now I think that I can't finish his quest line without PSN (which I don't have)...? Is there any other way to get a 5th vermin? A bit aggravating if not, Valtr seemed like more of a liability in that fight than anything else, it was quite difficult to get him to live through phase 2. The one time to finally get the kill on the boss, he dies right at the end to fire but before "prey slaughtered", so no Vermin :(

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Arrrghhhhh finally beat First Vicar Laurence, but a bit ticked about it... Valtr died at the end and I didn't get the vermin, so now I think that I can't finish his quest line without PSN (which I don't have)...? Is there any other way to get a 5th vermin? A bit aggravating if not, Valtr seemed like more of a liability in that fight than anything else, it was quite difficult to get him to live through phase 2. The one time to finally get the kill on the boss, he dies right at the end to fire but before "prey slaughtered", so no Vermin :(

You could go through the game again. Other than that, I don't think there's a way of getting the vermin without going online.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the Defiled chalice Watchdog with 0 blood vials remaining, what an intense fight. I'm dreading the next boss though, I've heard it's even tougher than the Watchdog?

The platinum trophy is in sight now, never thought I'd be able to get one for a souls game.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the Defiled chalice Watchdog with 0 blood vials remaining, what an intense fight. I'm dreading the next boss though, I've heard it's even tougher than the Watchdog?

The platinum trophy is in sight now, never thought I'd be able to get one for a souls game.

I found it easier than the Watchdog but it's very punishing. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

The end is in sight.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

The next boss requires patience just like Watchdog, and remembering not to
dodge when it jumps,
which took me a while to learn. The last phase becomes easier, when you
stay behind its legs.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God fucking damn I'm hot trash. Keep losing to the tin fat ogre or whatever the fuck right thru that gate to the right in Central Yhar

Hate the running animation and frame pacing and visual issues but there's something addicting here

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
God fucking damn I'm hot trash. Keep losing to the tin fat ogre or whatever the fuck right thru that gate to the right in Central Yhar

Hate the running animation and frame pacing and visual issues but there's something addicting here

That enemy is there so you can practice your parries. He's basically a sparring challenge, since he's so close to the lamp that dying to him isn't an issue.

Though the Ogres with the bricks you can find nearby are better for practicing since they are slower and don't hit as hard.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
I found it easier than the Watchdog but it's very punishing. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

The end is in sight.
The next boss requires patience just like Watchdog, and remembering not to
dodge when it jumps,
which took me a while to learn. The last phase becomes easier, when you
stay behind its legs.

Took me about 35 tries but I finally defeated it last night. My biggest mistake was summoning the old hunter to help me. Turns out the boss gets a huge HP boost which made the last third of the fight impossible for me.
You barely have time to hit it in its final form, and because it had so much extra hp there would always be an instance where it caught me with a 1-hit kill attack. I also tried to
stay behind its legs during the final phase, but that technique seems to have been patched out. It didn't work for me at least, the boss kept jumping on top of me instead of jumping away.
Anyway, the fight got a lot easier once I ran out of insight and fought it by myself, I beat it on my third fighting on my own.
The hardest part is probably over, the Isz chalice was a breeze compared to the Defiled one. Can I expect the last dungeon to be as easy?

I also started the DLC and was surprised to beat
Ludwig
on my 2nd attempt. I'm probably way overleveled thanks to the chalice dungeons.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on defeating Amygdala, she definitely gives a lot of trouble in the third phase. I usually use a combination of any spells or bone ash to try and get her. You are completely right regarding the summons by the way, especially the NPCs who won't put out the damage a normal player would.

Depending on how you feel about Pthumerian Descendant, you may have some trouble. Guy was the bane of my time with Bloodborne at one point, until everything just clicked for me. Hopefully you don't have issues.

By the way, isn't Ludwig just the most hype boss ever?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Took me about 35 tries but I finally defeated it last night. My biggest mistake was summoning the old hunter to help me. Turns out the boss gets a huge HP boost which made the last third of the fight impossible for me.
You barely have time to hit it in its final form, and because it had so much extra hp there would always be an instance where it caught me with a 1-hit kill attack. I also tried to
stay behind its legs during the final phase, but that technique seems to have been patched out. It didn't work for me at least, the boss kept jumping on top of me instead of jumping away.
Anyway, the fight got a lot easier once I ran out of insight and fought it by myself, I beat it on my third fighting on my own.
The hardest part is probably over, the Isz chalice was a breeze compared to the Defiled one. Can I expect the last dungeon to be as easy?

I also started the DLC and was surprised to beat
Ludwig
on my 2nd attempt. I'm probably way overleveled thanks to the chalice dungeons.

There's a couple of hardish bosses here and there but nothing like that fucking Defiled Chalice. The hard part is over. It's a true a trial by fire. Even the DLC feels tame in comparison (as you noted).

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Just a check-in from folks who have completed the game:

I just defeated Shadow of Yarnham and Rom. They were both absolute cake - I think I'm overleved. Is the rest of the game going to be this easy? I've heard the difficulty ramps up soon.

Also, how far am I roughly? I think I've read Rom is about the halfway point. It seems like I'm farther in than that (I've defeated some if not all of the optional bosses up to this point, such as BSB and Paarl).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just a check-in from folks who have completed the game:

I just defeated Shadow of Yarnham and Rom. They were both absolute cake - I think I'm overleved. Is the rest of the game going to be this easy? I've heard the difficulty ramps up soon.

Also, how far am I roughly? I think I've read Rom is about the halfway point. It seems like I'm farther in than that (I've defeated some if not all of the optional bosses up to this point, such as BSB and Paarl).

Yes, and you are more than halfway through. The rest of the base game is not much harder, and it's surprisingly short. There's only a couple of areas left for you to do, assuming you miss the other optional areas
Upper Cathedral Ward and Nightmare Frontier

The real challenge is in the DLC and the Chalice Dungeons (specifically the defiled Chalice).

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, and you are more than halfway through. The rest of the base game is not much harder, and it's surprisingly short. There's only a couple of areas left for you to do, assuming you miss the other optional areas
Upper Cathedral Ward and Nightmare Frontier

The real challenge is in the DLC and the Chalice Dungeons (specifically the defiled Chalice).

Great. Thank you.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just absolutely love the item description for the
Great One's Wisdom - Fragments of the lost wisdom of the Great Ones, beings that might be described as gods. Use to gain Insight. At Byrgenwerth Master Willem had an epiphany: "We are thinking on the basest of planes. What we need, are more eyes."

Also, I'm not usually one to care for fan mixes or tribute albums, but this guy Alex Roe in the UK has made some incredible tributes to the Soulsborne games, of which you can listen to on YouTube or Bandcamp. For instance, his album Rite of Blood features the track Night of the Hunt and it's but a fantastic taste of his wares. Two albums devoted to Dark Souls and three devoted to Bloodborne, usually surrounding imagined instances that could be set in adjacent lore or evocations. Solid stuff to play the game alongside!

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
"As you once did for the vacuous Rom; grant us eyes, grant us eyes. Plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our beastly idiocy."

I love how the main concepts of the game, Beasthood and insight, embodied respectively by Lawrence and Willem , are portrayed as opposites, yet both originating from the same source. They are both represented in the game as the forms of currency the player collects (symbolized by blood and eyes). The more insight you have, the more you'll perceive in the world, but at the expense of greatly reduced Beasthood and frenzy resistance (because insight drives you completely insane).

What a game.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That recent thread on Bloodborne's atmosphere has me itching to start playing it again. But I haven't played it in over a year. I have 18 hours in my save, but it's been so long that I don't remember the map and basically lost my skills against the mid-game enemies. Debating restarting.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
That recent thread on Bloodborne's atmosphere has me itching to start playing it again. But I haven't played it in over a year. I have 18 hours in my save, but it's been so long that I don't remember the map and basically lost my skills against the mid-game enemies. Debating restarting.

Maps are pretty straightforward tho. If your feeling a little rusty you can just run around the area for a bit to get back into it and then you should be fine.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Vampyr devs are clearly Bloodborne fans, there's this cute Easter egg in it :)

38770832B1CBD66C715564044C171E6185EC776B

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For my second time through, I've made it a self enforced rule to solo the entire game and it feels so fucking satisfying.

Honestly, you'll blow through what you achieved the first time around in a much shorter duration- the initial discovery and stumbling path finding in this genius labyrinth takes the most effort.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
For my second time through, I've made it a self enforced rule to solo the entire game and it feels so fucking satisfying.

Honestly, you'll blow through what you achieved the first time around in a much shorter duration- the initial discovery and stumbling path finding in this genius labyrinth takes the most effort.
Agreed. First time, I took like six tries to beat Cleric Beast and eventually beat it by summoning help. Now, I beat it solo on my second try.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Gascoigne's beast mode? That's another fight I used a summon for last time that I'm doing solo now. I can consistently get him down to the beast stage by running around graves and Kirkhammering him + visceral attacks. But the beast phase is kicking my ass

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Any tips for Gascoigne's beast mode? That's another fight I used a summon for last time that I'm doing solo now. I can consistently get him down to the beast stage by running around graves and Kirkhammering him + visceral attacks. But the beast phase is kicking my ass

If you explore Central Yharnam a little bit, you'll run into a house with an NPC (houses with NPCs will have a red lamp outside) that will give you a certain item. If you use this item during his beast phase, it will absolutely trivialize the fight.

If you want to fight him fair and square, then try to dodge and punish. His attacks are very telegraphed, specially his overhead smash, which is easy to avoid but will deal massive damage if it hits you. Be pacient, try to roll towards him so that you are at melee distance as he's recovering from his attacks. You can also douse him with oil and throw a Molotov or two at him for extra easy damage.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

You absolutely weren't kidding. I'm beating bosses solo that I found very challenging last time, and finding it easier to get into the aggressive rhythm of combat. Saw spear + Kirkhammer is nice combo

If you explore Central Yharnam a little bit, you'll run into a house with an NPC (houses with NPCs will have a red lamp outside) that will give you a certain item. If you use this item during his beast phase, it will absolutely trivialize the fight.

If you want to fight him fair and square, then try to dodge and punish. His attacks are very telegraphed, specially his overhead smash, which is easy to avoid but will deal massive damage if it hits you. Be pacient, try to roll towards him so that you are at melee distance as he's recovering from his attacks. You can also douse him with oil and throw a Molotov or two at him for extra easy damage.
Thanks for the tips.

Pimz

Jul 3, 2018
I'm on my first play through and beat Martyr Logarius and Amygdala yesterday. Logarius was a tough fight, Amygdala was surprisingly easy after him (beat Amygdala on my 2nd attempt). So far I've beaten all bosses solo and it does feel very satisfying indeed. I've always considered myself a casual gamer and BB is more challenging than any game I've ever played, but the feeling of beating a boss is unparalleled.

Right now I'm making my way through Yahar'gul. I just found the key to the upper cathedral ward. Is it recommended to play that area before I continue in Yahar'gul?