Bloodborne |OT| Grant them eyes

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Finally came back and beat Micolash after putting the game down for a year or so. I've been told to avoid fighting any more bosses and to go into the DLC at this point. Is that true? Apparently progressing any more sets stuff on fire or something.

Anyway I've totally forgotten what build I was going for. Looks like primarily a STR/SKL build but I've got BT at 22, so clearly I was trying to level that up. Not sure why. 🤔
You can progress to the next main boss if you want, but definitely do the DLC after that. No further.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finally came back and beat Micolash after putting the game down for a year or so. I've been told to avoid fighting any more bosses and to go into the DLC at this point. Is that true? Apparently progressing any more sets stuff on fire or something.
You could do one more boss, any after that will lock you of the DLC. That said, the resulting "world change" after the next boss does lock you of some additional bits of dialogue specifically linked to the DLC. I fought that boss before the DLC and wish I hadn't.

So I would advise to progress to the top of the nightmare so you at least have all shortcuts unlocked, but to leave the boss alone until after the DLC.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds good, will grab the next shortcut then head directly into the DLC.

Also is Chikage a good weapon if I get my Bloodtinge up to 25? I think right now I'm at 35/25/22 STR/SKL/BT. Debating whether I should go all out STR (been using LHB), or if I should bump BT up for some nice ranged damage with Evelyn / Bowblade.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The boss after Micolash is what sets things in to motion with The Hunter's Dream being on fire, but that doesn't effect doing the DLC, you can do the DLC any time after defeating Amelia.

You do go straight in to NG+ after defeating the final boss, but you will know which boss that is, it isn't the one in Nightmare of Mensis after Micolash.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Anyway I've totally forgotten what build I was going for. Looks like primarily a STR/SKL build but I've got BT at 22, so clearly I was trying to level that up. Not sure why. 🤔
People are rightly advising against doing the DLC for the first time on NG+. As long as you don't finish the game before doing the DLC, you should be fine.
The last boss you can kill before being thrown into NG+ is Mergo's Wetnurse. After you've defeated it, the Hunter's Dream will be set on fire, and you'll be able to fight the final boss. So kill Mergo's Wetnurse and then do the DLC.

Huh, I clicked on the notification, responded to the post and then realized like 6 more people had already responded. Sometimes this forum throws me off.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Don't listen to people telling you to kill the boss of the Nightmare first. Yes, it possible to kill it first and then do the DLC. But if you do, you will miss some very interesting DLC-related dialogue from the Doll. It isn't worth it.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Any tips for Laurence the First Vicar? I'm using a skill/arcane build, NG, and threaded cane 10+ (tried with a quality build on NG+, but he kicks my ass laughing).

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Ok cleared the base game up to right before Mergo's Wet Nurse, next step will be jumping into the DLC. I have to say, I'm a little excited but also nervous given how everyone says the DLC is super hard. Guess I'll find out in the next few days. 🤞🏽

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ok cleared the base game up to right before Mergo's Wet Nurse, next step will be jumping into the DLC. I have to say, I'm a little excited but also nervous given how everyone says the DLC is super hard. Guess I'll find out in the next few days. 🤞🏽
It's probably the best DLC they've made. It has a ton of content and some of the coolest, best weapons in the game. Just be ready to die a lot to some of the bosses.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I've made the mistake of starting the dlc in ng+, good lord ludwig is nearly one shotting me with half his moves lol.
Think i've screwed myself there, i really can't be bothered getting another character leveled up.

Gbraga

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys listen to the "O Flora, of the moon, of the dream" dialogue recently? I got it on my first playthrough, back when the game came out, but I feel like since the DLC came out I never got it even once. Was thinking about it yesterday as I finished another playthrough.

My first one since Sekiro came out.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've made the mistake of starting the dlc in ng+, good lord ludwig is nearly one shotting me with half his moves lol.
Think i've screwed myself there, i really can't be bothered getting another character leveled up.
I think a lot of people had that experience with the DLC and that's why it became so infamous for being hard. Not that it isn't hard, but playing it for the first time on NG+, probably months after finishing the game and not playing it certainly made an impression on people.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
I still personally think the DLC was waaaayyyyy better than the base game (which I still adored) so you're in for a treat imo! It is definitely more difficult, but you're making the right choice by not doing it for the first time in NG+ lol. Best of luck!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Played a little bit of the DLC yesterday (unlocked the first shortcut with the gate in that first area). I can definitely see why people are saying it's difficult, especially with all the hunters you have to fight, but I think I'm overleveled enough that it takes some of the sting out (I was level 100 going into the DLC).

What's the consensus on being overleveled like I am? Will I still be able to summon for bosses easily, even if I go into a NG+? Or should I stop leveling up at some point?

Rex_DX

Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Played a little bit of the DLC yesterday (unlocked the first shortcut with the gate in that first area). I can definitely see why people are saying it's difficult, especially with all the hunters you have to fight, but I think I'm overleveled enough that it takes some of the sting out (I was level 100 going into the DLC).

What's the consensus on being overleveled like I am? Will I still be able to summon for bosses easily, even if I go into a NG+? Or should I stop leveling up at some point?
Level 100 seems awfully high to be starting it. I think I was level 65-70 going in. 100 seems like a NG+ level.

As far as summoning goes I imagine you’ll have a tough time but I could be wrong, if you’re in this situation then others are sure to be as well. Still, being overleveled coupled with a shrunken player base will probably narrow your options.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Level 100 seems awfully high to be starting it. I think I was level 65-70 going in. 100 seems like a NG+ level.

As far as summoning goes I imagine you’ll have a tough time but I could be wrong, if you’re in this situation then others are sure to be as well. Still, being overleveled coupled with a shrunken player base will probably narrow your options.
The official recommendation is level 85. I started it at 90*, and it was much more manageable than at 65, where I was at initially when I started it just before Byrgenwerth.

* EDIT: And I was at the exact same point as Dance Inferno; between Micolash and Mergo.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
85 sounds about right. The two hunters in the beginning are probably meant to determine if you are ready for the DLC and I often find myself struggling when I fight them at level 60 and with a +6 or +7 weapon. If you need 4 - 5 viscerals to kill a common foe, like I did at that point, you know you are underleveled.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
DLC first timer here. Yeah, it's pretty difficult...

Any tips on dealing with these axe-wielding bastards at the beginning of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RjH73JLOM

Also, a more general question: I have a +9 axe and a +6 Tonitrus, which I stopped upgrading a while ago simply due to negligence. Is there any reason not to spend the necessary blood items (3 chunks to level up the Tonitrus)? I don't see why not, right? It's not like spending these will make upgrading the axe more difficult, since that now requires blood rocks. Only other way I see to spend blood chunks would be to upgrade a third weapon (not going to do) or sell them (also not going to do).

What's prompted me to think about leveling up the Tonitrus is that it'd be nice to have a weapon with good bolt damage. I've been spending a bunch of echoes (and some insight) on bolt paper lately.

What number of weapons do people usually run with? That is, weapons that they keep leveled up.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

Any tips on dealing with these axe-wielding bastards at the beginning of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RjH73JLOM

Also, a more general question: I have a +9 axe and a +6 Tonitrus, which I stopped upgrading a while ago simply due to negligence. Is there any reason not to spend the necessary blood items (3 chunks to level up the Tonitrus)? I don't see why not, right? It's not like spending these will make upgrading the axe more difficult, since that now requires blood rocks. Only other way I see to spend blood chunks would be to upgrade a third weapon (not going to do) or sell them (also not going to do).

What's prompted me to think about leveling up the Tonitrus is that it'd be nice to have a weapon with good bolt damage. I've been spending a bunch of echoes (and some insight) on bolt paper lately.

What number of weapons do people usually run with? That is, weapons that they keep leveled up.
Especially as it’s your first time though the DLC, save your chunks for a bit. You’re about to find some really sweet new weapons.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
85 sounds about right. The two hunters in the beginning are probably meant to determine if you are ready for the DLC and I often find myself struggling when I fight them at level 60 and with a +6 or +7 weapon. If you need 4 - 5 viscerals to kill a common foe, like I did at that point, you know you are underleveled.
At level 65, the beast hunter in the first area was by far the hardest enemy hunter for me. It wasn't such a struggle after I leveled up to 90.

You can sneak behind some of them, and deliver a visceral attack. That goes for the one standing in the front of the cathedral as well. Just run past him, wait until he returns to his place, and sneak behind him.

I'd recommend to save the Blood Chunks for DLC weapons, unless you really love using Tonitrus. There are very good weapons for your strength build.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're easy to chain backstab. The two in front of Ludwig are placed specifically for this to top up on bullets/vials during boss tries I'd say.

I always prefer buffing to split damage weapons, but the Tonitrus is a cool little thing.