• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the old hunters on their recent sale; what is the point of no return to start it on NG? I'm at Mergos Loft currently.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Defeating Gerhman will immediately put you in to NG+ so do DLC and anything else you want to do before facing him. Chalice dungeons don't reset in NG+ so you don't have to do those if you don't want.

Great, thanks! One other question: I've got some chunks but not a ton, they are a lot harder to find it seems. Should I save them for a dlc weapon? Or worth it to get my hunters axe up to +9? Or hopefully in the dlc chunks are way more prevelant and I can upgrade a dlc weapon...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a load more upgrade materials in the DLC, definately get your weapon up to +10 for the DLC, the games expects you to as the bosses are pretty challenging.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Great, thanks! One other question: I've got some chunks but not a ton, they are a lot harder to find it seems. Should I save them for a dlc weapon? Or worth it to get my hunters axe up to +9? Or hopefully in the dlc chunks are way more prevelant and I can upgrade a dlc weapon...

There's more than enough chunks for at least two weapons in Yahar'gul and both nightmares, specially Nightmare of Mensis, so make sure to explore those thoroughly.

Also there are just two Blood Rocks in the game (other than specific random drops in the Chalice Dungeons, or the ones you can buy from the Insight Shop) . One is in Mergo's Loft and the other one is near the end of the DLC, so be on the lookout for those.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Managed to finally finish Bloodborne after playing on and off since April '17. I ended doing every area plus every boss solo (including DLC) and just had a fantastic time overall. I'm a massive bitch when it comes to scary shit and this is definitely the scariest thing I've ever played through (the giant mensis spiders can go fuck themselves tho, and Rom too) but I come out of it feeling pretty accomplished. I gotta say, Orphan of Kos is kinda insane, especially that second phase where it feels like there are no openings. Somehow manged to get through it though. I swear I got that first phase down to a science so I could preserve Vials for the second (same with Ludwig lol, second phase was insane but that music made up for it).

Kinda getting withdrawals now though so I might end up buying and playing one of the Dark Souls games now but I hear it's not as offence oriented which was one of my favourite things about BB.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Managed to finally finish Bloodborne after playing on and off since April '17. I ended doing every area plus every boss solo (including DLC) and just had a fantastic time overall. I'm a massive bitch when it comes to scary shit and this is definitely the scariest thing I've ever played through (the giant mensis spiders can go fuck themselves tho, and Rom too) but I come out of it feeling pretty accomplished. I gotta say, Orphan of Kos is kinda insane, especially that second phase where it feels like there are no openings. Somehow manged to get through it though. I swear I got that first phase down to a science so I could preserve Vials for the second (same with Ludwig lol, second phase was insane but that music made up for it).

Kinda getting withdrawals now though so I might end up buying and playing one of the Dark Souls games now but I hear it's not as offence oriented which was one of my favourite things about BB.

Dark Souls (and specially Dark Souls 3) can be pretty offense heavy if you like. In general Dark Souls offers much more variety for character builds so you can create a fast, lightweight ninja / rogue type character that can deal massive damage.

If you liked BB then you definitely owe it to yourself to play Dark Souls. I'd start with DS Remastered, but DS3 is the most "Bloodborne" like of the bunch, both in look and feel. You'll probably end up liking it quite a bit.

And if you liked the feeling of accomplishment from beating hard bosses, DS3 has you covered. ;)

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Arrghhhh Martyr Logarius... I was within a sliver of his health of defeating him on the very first encounter, and now he has destroyed me on all subsequent attempts. Guess I got lucky that first time! But, is it me, or is the fight a little bit buggy? In phase 2 when he stabs his sword in the ground, usually I can destroy the sword so it stops shooting at me. For all the good that does I guess, as he will make another one only a few seconds later most times. But the problem is multiple times he does this move, and the sword is nowhere to be found and can't be targeted! It seems to happen most often if we happen to be near on of the towers. I don't know if it just clips through the tower or the roof or something, but it's not there to be destroyed.

As a long time huge souls fan, this is my very first go at Bloodborne as I never had a PS4 before now. I would say it seems totally possible to play the Dark Souls series, especially DS3, in a manner similar to Bloodborne. Lots of dodging, a fast weapon, and very aggressive. The primary difference is that you don't get health back for hitting enemies, so you would have to be a bit more careful. And if you love parrying in Bloodborne, you would need a shield for that in Dark Souls, although there is a parry offhand dagger in some cases as well. But especially DS3 is not that dissimilar and in some ways an improvement over Bloodborne.

One thing the Dark Souls series has going for it though, is the class based structure. I am really enjoying Bloodborne, but I'm not sure how much I will replay it once I finish it since it seems like the classes are essentially the same? Sure you can change it up a bit with a different weapon, or maybe concentrate on a gun type build. But they seem very similar.

Conversely, Dark Souls plays very much different each time if you want to start over. Your standard sword & board soldier/knight type character is probably how most people start. You can have a bit of variety by going heavy 2H weapon instead. But then you can really mix it up by making a caster style character, and there are 2-3 different magic types as well (depending on what game you play). Doing a pure sorcery run in Dark Souls 2 and 3 was some of most fun I've ever had in those games. Heck in DS3 you can even be an archery style character as well.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll almost certainly end up playing the DS games but what I meant specifically is that I loved the slide dash you do when you're locked on. It lets you dodge aggressively on a monster's swing and immediately punish. That coupled with the health regency from attack shortly after being hit gave the game a brisk pace that I really enjoyed. From what I've seen of DS, you can only do a slower roll? I might be wrong though. But yeah, like I said, I'll probably end up playing them regardless since I'm not averse to learning/appreciating a different gameplay style. Who knows, I might end up enjoying them more.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'll almost certainly end up playing the DS games but what I meant specifically is that I loved the slide dash you do when you're locked on. It lets you dodge aggressively on a monster's swing and immediately punish. That coupled with the health regency from attack shortly after being hit gave the game a brisk pace that I really enjoyed. From what I've seen of DS, you can only do a slower roll? I might be wrong though. But yeah, like I said, I'll probably end up playing them regardless since I'm not averse to learning/appreciating a different gameplay style. Who knows, I might end up enjoying them more.

There are rings/equipment that enable a different, faster roll/dodge than the standard one in the Souls Games- but generally you need to keep your equipment burden pretty low before that's useable.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Arrghhhh Martyr Logarius... I was within a sliver of his health of defeating him on the very first encounter, and now he has destroyed me on all subsequent attempts. Guess I got lucky that first time! But, is it me, or is the fight a little bit buggy? In phase 2 when he stabs his sword in the ground, usually I can destroy the sword so it stops shooting at me. For all the good that does I guess, as he will make another one only a few seconds later most times. But the problem is multiple times he does this move, and the sword is nowhere to be found and can't be targeted! It seems to happen most often if we happen to be near on of the towers. I don't know if it just clips through the tower or the roof or something, but it's not there to be destroyed.

I had a similar issue where is sword wood be barely peeking out where the roof is slanted. I had to figure out what specific swing could hit low enough to take out that sword, but I bet with some weapons even that wouldn't work.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't think I've ever had that happen. I always target it and shoot it straight away. Sometimes you can be too far away to lock on to the sword, but I've never not been able to find it from what I can recall.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Dark Souls rolls, I actually just started Demons Souls after beating Bloodborne (will play Dark Souls next). The roll in Demons honestly feels more like a fall. It so freaking clumsy and slow. I hope there's a way to improve it through dexterity upgrades or something.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Regarding Dark Souls rolls, I actually just started Demons Souls after beating Bloodborne (will play Dark Souls next). The roll in Demons honestly feels more like a fall. It so freaking clumsy and slow. I hope there's a way to improve it through dexterity upgrades or something.

In the Souls games (Including Demon's), your roll speed and distance depends on your Equipment Load. It varies from game to game, but in Demon's there are 3 tiers: 50% or less, you get the fastest movement speed and longest roll. Over 50% up to 100%, you get a 'fat roll', which is probably what you are experiencing, in which movement speed is reduced and your roll is slower and travels a shorter distance. If you're over 100%, you'll be unable to roll or sprint. Also, a higher equipment burden increases the time it takes for your stamina to recover, at least in Dark Souls (but probably in Demon's as well). Try taking off some pieces of gear, or wearing a lighter set and see how it feels.

The more endurance you have, the higher your maximum Equip Load will be. There's also a ring that will reduce your total Equip Load.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone point and laugh at me, I'm on my second character after a successful first and just started using R2 charge attacks in a big way. :D I think this might make things a little more manageable with a few bosses I struggled with.

Solo only this time around, like a refined hunter.

Also, knowing what to do goes a very long way in this game. That first playthrough without a guide is always magical (and not ever to be skipped) but knowing what triggers what when sure makes it much smoother of a ride. Also, following the path of Gehrman and what's hinted at is- as always- fucking beyond sublime and an absolute achievement.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spin2win man. Spin2win.
.... I just absolutely love the slashy feeling of the saw cleaver. It's short form- its speed- its sound. Oh it's just so satisfying to hunt with!

But this second time around I'm grabbing as many varied weapons as possible and just taking my absolute time with it.

I never beat Kos, I summoned to defeat Lady Maria, didn't finish every named labyrinth, and I only had 2/3rds of the Umbilical Cord.

I have much to learn soloing them all this time around, and then I'll ascend!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
otejaPX.gif

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently this is happening

and I'm dying to see more from this event especially the early concept art there.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Finaaaalyyyyyyyyy

Took a week to have the chance to get back to this, but Martyr Logarius finally goes down!

I thought I was doing ok at the start and then as soon as he knocked me out of the zone I never got back in it, yet somehow survived...

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PREY SLAUGHTERED.

I hope you enjoyed what lies beyond the fallen Martyr. Cainhurst is so wonderfully chilling and creepy.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Cainhurst is awesome, specially when you consider it's an optional area that requires an item found in another hidden optional area.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Logarius was the first real wall I hit playing it for the first time. I still think my game was bugged at some point, as he kept spawnig his friggin sword into the little towers...

Anyway, it felt fantastic when I finally got him, such a great fight (when it actually works...)

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I haven't played this yet (I've played Dark Souls 3) is because I'd be getting PS+ for this game alone, and don't know if it's worth it because I've played none of the Souls games offline.

Would anything feel out-dated about this game coming from DS3?

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
So I beat all bosses besides the last one and the last dungeon one (going to do that next, but have to get more red lint in another dungeon first). For the platinum I only need all dlc weapons all main game weapons and the 2 endings. But looks like I missed a crows badge, at this point in the game I can't get it anymore right?
house is on fire already
so I'd have to do NG+ regardless for that?

If that's the case I'll just platinum it later when I do a NG+ run for the other ending too and won't bother with save file on USB stuff.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The reason I haven't played this yet (I've played Dark Souls 3) is because I'd be getting PS+ for this game alone, and don't know if it's worth it because I've played none of the Souls games offline.

It's not so much that it'd feel outdated; it's just that the online isn't as fleshed out as DS3. The equivalent to Covenants (Oaths) almost feels like an afterthought, even if there are certain fun twists (some Oaths are direct antagonists to one another for story reasons, and summoning a player from an antagonist Oath will make him hostile to you even though he was summoned using the Beckoning coop bell). Invasions are also much more rare since, unlike DS, you can only be invaded when the beckoning (Coop) bell is rung, and most people ring it right outside the boss gate. In DS3, you automatically become Embered after killing a boss so you are always at risk of being invaded after beating a boss and moving forward. Also the player population seemed much lower in this game for some reason when I played back in May.

Other than that, Bloodborne is a magnificent, sublime game which I consider to be even better than DS3 (and I love DS3). They also look and feel very similar so you'll feel right at home. My only gripe with Bloodborne is how short it is (though the Chalice dungeons and the DLC sorta alleviate this). I mean, look at this:

So I beat all bosses besides the last one and the last dungeon one (going to do that next, but have to get more red lint in another dungeon first). For the platinum I only need all dlc weapons all main game weapons and the 2 endings. But looks like I missed a crows badge, at this point in the game I can't get it anymore right?
house is on fire already
so I'd have to do NG+ regardless for that?

If that's the case I'll just platinum it later when I do a NG+ run for the other ending too and won't bother with save file on USB stuff.

Is Eileen not at the Cathedral were you fought Amelia? If you can't fast travel from the Dream to that specific lamp that means that she's still there. She'll drop the badge if you kill her.

Also, the DLC weapons are not necessary for the Platinum, though they are needed for the Gold Trophy in the DLC (Which is a separate set of trophies).

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Is Eileen not at the Cathedral were you fought Amelia? If you can't fast travel from the Dream to that specific lamp that means that she's still there. She'll drop the badge if you kill her.

I'll check once I finish getting these red jellies. I never met her in my entire playthrough I believe so that's why I wonder if I completely missed the boat on that this run.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Absolutely should not feel out-dated.

Depends how much you'll get out of online play. Like you, the only reason I would have got PS+ would be for online Souls and for me it wasn't worth it, I just don't play online enough to justify the expense even though back on PS3 I played the shit out of DS1 online. BB is a complete package as a single player experience and I didn't miss the online portion one bit, ymmv.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, BB is perfectly fine as a single player game. I enjoyed being summoned since I like helping people with bosses, and I liked the tense feeling of being open to invasions in the Nightmare areas, but other than that I feel online is a more integral part of DS than BB.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I really just don't like the idea of missing out on floor messages and occasionally co-oping a boss. Never did covenants to be honest.

And is Bloodborne significantly shorter? Souls games usually take me around 60 hours.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I guess I really just don't like the idea of missing out on floor messages and occasionally co-oping a boss. Never did covenants to be honest.

And is Bloodborne significantly shorter? Souls games usually take me around 60 hours.

If all you want from the online is the messages and coop then BB will provide a near identical experience to Souls in that way, along with Bloodstains and player phantoms running around.

It's shorter than DS3. It should take you about 35-40 for the base game depending on how much of the side content you do. The Chalice Dungeons (which you should totally do) can easily add another 10-15 hours to the game, specially if you're gunning for the Platinum, as it requires clearing a particularly difficult dungeon.

The DLC should be another 10 hours, again, depending on how thoroughly you explore and how long it takes you to kill the (also very difficult) bosses.

Personally it took me about 90 hours to get the Platinum, going mostly blind. So you definitely won't be lacking for content.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
And the game's replayability is amazing. It's fantastic, go play it!

I played DS3 after BB and it controls somewhat similar, but is a much slower game. BB is faster, no turtle builds, brilliant action.

As a side note: if you are looking for invasions and stuff, I wasn't invaded once and I platinumed it.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
You fucking kidding me, I got the red jelly and to get another one I have to reopen that same dungeon to get it again because I don't have ps plus? What a fucking joke.

Getting sick of these requirements just to finish all dungeons so dumb.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
Going to this in a few days, cannot wait.
Dude if you do try and take some good pictures, I haven't seen anyone documenting this stuff for people who don't live nearby outside of kotaku UK but even they only took one picture of those amazing looking sketchbooks. I'd love to know who's sketchbook that is exactly because I wonder if that could be Miyazaki's,I cant remember ever hearing about him doing concept art before but I have to imagine he does to some extent just to get his ideas across to the other artists.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You fucking kidding me, I got the red jelly and to get another one I have to reopen that same dungeon to get it again because I don't have ps plus? What a fucking joke.

Getting sick of these requirements just to finish all dungeons so dumb.

Hmm, which dungeon are you trying to reach? I don't think having PS+ has anything to do with that, unless you are trying to generate one of the root Glyph dungeons from other player, and those are not necessary for the Platinum.

Are you following this progression?

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Hmm, which dungeon are you trying to reach? I don't think having PS+ has anything to do with that, unless you are trying to generate one of the root Glyph dungeons from other player, and those are not necessary for the Platinum.

Are you following this progression?

To get the 4th string to get to the last one I had to remake the one I got it from to get the chest to respawn. The way it was described where I saw it was join another players dungeon to get it but since I don't have PS+ I had to remake my dungeon and start over. Frustrating mechanic is all. Either way I'm in last dungeon now and beat first boss so should be getting the trophy soon hopefully.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You absolutely don't have to join another's player dungeon. Maybe that allows you to to get some materials faster but it's not at all necessary

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I just used some insight to buy chalice materials I couldn't easily obtain. I was swimming in Madman Knowledge by the time NG+ rolled around.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Dude if you do try and take some good pictures, I haven't seen anyone documenting this stuff for people who don't live nearby outside of kotaku UK but even they only took one picture of those amazing looking sketchbooks. I'd love to know who's sketchbook that is exactly because I wonder if that could be Miyazaki's,I cant remember ever hearing about him doing concept art before but I have to imagine he does to some extent just to get his ideas across to the other artists.
Trust me I'll try and get all the pictures I can, not sure if they allow them in there though. But pretty sure they do.

Holy fuck.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
So apparently this is happening

and I'm dying to see more from this event especially the early concept art there.

Damn. I wish that had been 2½ months ago, when I was visiting there.

EDIT:

They took me about the same time with all the optional base game content, excluding Chalice dungeons which I went through afterwards.

CrPQUACl.jpg

m5FMzUul.jpg

Last edited: