• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my first play through and beat Martyr Logarius and Amygdala yesterday. Logarius was a tough fight, Amygdala was surprisingly easy after him (beat Amygdala on my 2nd attempt). So far I've beaten all bosses solo and it does feel very satisfying indeed. I've always considered myself a casual gamer and BB is more challenging than any game I've ever played, but the feeling of beating a boss is unparalleled.

Right now I'm making my way through Yahar'gul. I just found the key to the upper cathedral ward. Is it recommended to play that area before I continue in Yahar'gul?

I'd go through Yahar'gul first. Upper Cathedral Ward is optional, like Cainhurst was, so you don't need to go through it just yet.

Pimz

Jul 3, 2018
The One Reborn is down (first attempt), and I decided to go to the Upper Cathedral Ward. That area is scaring the shit out of me again (which is good). I absolutely hate Brainsuckers though, especially when they sneak up on you in a small area where you can't get away. Edit: not as bad as the Winter Lantern in Nightmare Frontier though.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've been itching to play this again. What's an interesting build to try? My first one was a bog standard strength, I've beaten the game with dex too. I think I had an arcane one in the making but I kind of want to try bloodtinge. One thing I don't care for is the gem farming/imprinting farming.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been itching to play this again. What's an interesting build to try? My first one was a bog standard strength, I've beaten the game with dex too. I think I had an arcane one in the making but I kind of want to try bloodtinge. One thing I don't care for is the gem farming/imprinting farming.

The most fun I've had with this game is with a 25 Str 50 Arc build built around the Tonitrus. You can also go 50 str 25 arc if you don't want to constantly apply the buff but it's a waste imo, also you get a lot of mileage out of your tools with 50 arc.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I would try a bloodtinge build. I've never really seen the whole game through on either bloodtinge or arcane build, but I found arcane quite boring personally - I was trying to just use spells though and I didn't really find it that engaging.

You certainly don't need to do any gem farming, I think that's for super min-maxing or pvp - Damage output from the stuff you find in game normally and leveling up is more than good enough.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Always found the durability on Tonitrus really annoying. If you use the lighting (which is the coolest thing about it) the weapon breaks a little too fast for me.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The cool thing about the Tonitrus is you can get it pretty early too.

Yup. Just let the sackbro at cathedral ward take you for a ride, can get it as soon as you kill the blood-starved beast.

Always found the durability on Tonitrus really annoying. If you use the lighting (which is the coolest thing about it) the weapon breaks a little too fast for me.

Yeah, that's the weak point of this build, just carry a good ol' saw cleaver as a back-up weapon and problem solved.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I <3 the cleaver, haven't started with anything else yet in two playthroughs.

After just beating ROM again, for the first time solo, I have to say- it feels like the difficulty really spikes again once the Blood Moon phase begins. I was so proud destroying the lake's mighty foe, but was once again rendered into mush by common mobs lmao

Absolutely loving getting stomped by Eileen's prey. I think I need to level up.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys — I need help beating a boss and I'm having some issues finding a random with the beckoning bell. Anyone want to help a guy out?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people say this advice for a lot of enemies, but definitely dodge toward it and a lot of swings will miss from the one side that attacks the most.

Also, those pyromancers
can be dealt with.

Have a +6 / +7 weapon and you can do it!
I beat him!

And now I'm dying at the boss at Cainhurst lol

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Logarius is an optional (but awesome) boss so you can always come back later and try him when you've got a +10 weapon. He's very susceptible to parrying.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Logarius was the first real wall I hit. In the end it was awesome when I finally made it.
The real bosses are waiting for you in the very beginning of the level anyway lol

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat him!

And now I'm dying at the boss at Cainhurst lol
Yeah my character is currently at this wall as well. It always slays me in the last fifth or sixth of their health too. I can't wait to watch what happens in the throne room again!

I'm also finding the third level boss of the Lower Pthumeru Chalice to be an absolute bastard but I think I'll manage once I jump to blood level 75. That and the DLC is giving me quite the whiplash in appropriate areas.

Logarius was the first real wall I hit. In the end it was awesome when I finally made it.
The real bosses are waiting for you in the very beginning of the level anyway lol
No matter what level I am, I feel like these enemies always rock me. The swarms of them in the DLC is just deliciously malicious.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I just started the game. Finally beat the Cleric Beast. (I've fought him a bunch of times at friends houses in the past and never could finish him off) Felt real cheap though becase I powered through most of stage 2 with 10 firebombs lol. Stage 1 I can handnle though. I looked at a help video after I beat him and saw I was playing it a lot differently. The guy in the video was much more agressive and confident than I, and using the quick swings. I was basically backing up a lot and eventually running in when I thought I had a good opportunity, and then charging the heavy attack.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just started the game. Finally beat the Cleric Beast. (I've fought him a bunch of times at friends houses in the past and never could finish him off) Felt real cheap though becase I powered through most of stage 2 with 10 firebombs lol. Stage 1 I can handnle though. I looked at a help video after I beat him and saw I was playing it a lot differently. The guy in the video was much more agressive and confident than I, and using the quick swings. I was basically backing up a lot and eventually running in when I thought I had a good opportunity, and then charging the heavy attack.
Bloodborne really rewards agressive play because of the regain and beasthood systems, so try to work it in to your playstyle, trust that you can back some HP by being offensive - it can definately be a change of pace if you played the Souls games.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne really rewards agressive play because of the regain and beasthood systems, so try to work it in to your playstyle, trust that you can back some HP by being offensive - it can definately be a change of pace if you played the Souls games.

Yeah I'm still in that DS mindset. I always thought Bloodborne sounded more interesting because I usually like being more fast and agressive, but DS beat it into me to not be lol. Didn't realize exactly how this played out in practice. I just recently noticed how the health regain thing works.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is one gnarly tattoo, for sure!

The Upper Cathedral- oh how I'd forgotten how absolutely perfect you are. Utter madness and phantasmagoria!

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
So, after having the disc for more than 2 years, I've finally started this game. My first From Soft game and I need help!!

After being killed by the wolf, received weapons from hunter's dream and then was killed another few times before figuring out how to equip weapons. But finally when I was able to kill that wolf in 2 strikes...it felt simply amazing.
In love with the atmosphere..the sights and "minimal" sounds. In the next 2 hours or so, was able to kill everyone around a pyre...then a big guy with a brick...entered a sewer killed many there and finally....was killed by a big a** pig. And now I am back to the first lantern :( All my pebbles and most of the blood vials are gone and all the enemies are respawned. The limited gaming time I get these days is further adding to the misery...so guys need help...I am clueless on how do I progress further in this game? Do I need to keep playing straight for multiple hours hoping to find the next lantern or is there any way to save my progress? Watched a couple of walkthroughs and most of them have edited out the multiple deaths/character leveling up..so couldnt figure out(I was playing better than them). Can anyone recommend a good youtube walkthrough?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So, after having the disc for more than 2 years, I've finally started this game. My first From Soft game and I need help!!

After being killed by the wolf, received weapons from hunter's dream and then was killed another few times before figuring out how to equip weapons. But finally when I was able to kill that wolf in 2 strikes...it felt simply amazing.
In love with the atmosphere..the sights and "minimal" sounds. In the next 2 hours or so, was able to kill everyone around a pyre...then a big guy with a brick...entered a sewer killed many there and finally....was killed by a big a** pig. And now I am back to the first lantern :( All my pebbles and most of the blood vials are gone and all the enemies are respawned. The limited gaming time I get these days is further adding to the misery...so guys need help...I am clueless on how do I progress further in this game? Do I need to keep playing straight for multiple hours hoping to find the next lantern or is there any way to save my progress? Watched a couple of walkthroughs and most of them have edited out the multiple deaths/character leveling up..so couldnt figure out(I was playing better than them). Can anyone recommend a good youtube walkthrough?

My humble recommendation would be to avoid walk-throughs. The game is full of surprises and a huge part of its appeal is the sense of discovery and exploration and a walk-through will rob you of that.

Next to the lantern your are mentioning there's a gate that you can't open yet. That's a shortcut that you can open so that you can easily access the rest of the area from that lantern and must be opened from the other side. There's only one lamp in this area so it's crucial that you open it. You'll know you are near the other side of the gate since you'll find to brick trolls walking about, not far from an elevator which you can also unlock.

Your first order of business should be trying to get that gate opened so that if you die, you can quickly go back to where you died and recover your blood echoes. It will allow you to navigate the level much more easily. You don't really have to kill the guys near the pyre; you're much faster than them and can easily outrun them. If you explore a bit further past them you'll notice you have a few options to explore. I'd avoid the sewers for the time being and focus on the street level of the city.

Your second goal should be to find one of the two bosses in the area. After encountering a boss, you'll get one insight (even if you don't kill it). With that insight (represented by the eye icon on the top right corner bellow your blood echoes) you can talk to the doll in the hunters dream and use your blood echoes to level up.

You will die and probably quite often. Don't let that deter you. If you die, you have one chance to go back to the spot where you died and retrieve your blood echoes. Think of this area as a tutorial of sorts. Most enemies are slow and groups can be broken up using pebbles. Some of the bigger, slower enemies (like the brick guys) are quite vulnerable to gun parries (press R2 to shoot right before their attack hits you) opening them up for a Visceral attack.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Your second goal should be to find one of the two bosses in the area. After encountering a boss, you'll get one insight (even if you don't kill it). With that insight (represented by the eye icon on the top right corner bellow your blood echoes) you can talk to the doll in the hunters dream and use your blood echoes to level up.

You will die and probably quite often. Don't let that deter you. If you die, you have one chance to go back to the spot where you died and retrieve your blood echoes. Think of this area as a tutorial of sorts. Most enemies are slow and groups can be broken up using pebbles. Some of the bigger, slower enemies (like the brick guys) are quite vulnerable to gun parries (press R2 to shoot right before their attack hits you) opening them up for a Visceral attack.

I'd say, that it would be advisable to find all 10 Blood Stone Shards in the area (after you've unlocked the shortcut back to the lantern), as levelling up the weapon is going to make a big difference against the bosses. You can also find Madman's Knowledge in Central Yharnam, which will enable character levelling before encountering the bosses. On top of those, there's a Hunter attire set to find there, which has better stats than the default one.

It's also very much recommended to practise parrying with the brick trolls.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017

Ohh, so thats what I am supposed to do!! Thank you both!!

As I said in my last post, after finding the weapons, I had made a lot of progress without dying. Lost pebbles and blood vials in the process and when I eventually died and started again from the lantern, the re-spawned enemies were now not leaving behind loot when I was killing them. So, I had no clue at all how the hell I am going to make progress in this game. With the start of the long weekend, here is to hoping for a great time(dying :D)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
And now I am back to the first lantern :( All my pebbles and most of the blood vials are gone and all the enemies are respawned. The limited gaming time I get these days is further adding to the misery...so guys need help...I am clueless on how do I progress further in this game? Do I need to keep playing straight for multiple hours hoping to find the next lantern or is there any way to save my progress?
You're making progress, the game saves constantly so you never lose anything. Your short-term goal is usually to get to the next boss(es), explore the area for loot, NPCs and importantly shortcuts. There is usually at least one shortcut in every area that makes run backs to a boss much shorter. For example the gate behind the first lantern can be opened allowing quicker access to the dark house leading to the bridge where the wolves are - this makes journeys much shorter.

As I said in my last post, after finding the weapons, I had made a lot of progress without dying. Lost pebbles and blood vials in the process and when I eventually died and started again from the lantern, the re-spawned enemies were now not leaving behind loot when I was killing them. So, I had no clue at all how the hell I am going to make progress in this game. With the start of the long weekend, here is to hoping for a great time(dying :D)
Loot drops from enemies are random, so not guaranteed but regular enough to expect. It can be rough early on because of losing your blood echoes and running out of blood vials, so as a way of a) practicing general combat b) accruing blood echoes, it's a good idea to do a bit of farming in the first area to get more blood vials from enemies drops and by buying them back at the Hunters Dream. There's lots to explore in Central Yarnham, a better armour set to pick up, weapon upgrade materials, NPCs - all before facing any bosses.

Another tip about running out of consumables - you can exchange your HP for a max of 5 'blood' bullets at a time by pressing up on the D-pad, you can see the red number of bullets on the HUD. Because of the regain system which lets you get back lost health in a small window of time it's possible to get back some of the lost HP by attacking enemies or even with good timing to get it all back by performing a successful parry. Once you get the timing down on parrying, it's a pretty bad-ass feeling! And the mix of enemies in the first area are good practice.

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the main game and the DLC for the first time. It might be my favorite game of all time.
No other game will ever top the line "Tonight, Gehrman joins the hunt" for me. Goosebumps.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Ohh, so thats what I am supposed to do!! Thank you both!!

I always envy these posts! I wish I could experience this all over again blind. Once the basic mechanics click, you're in for an amazing experience.

Other posters have given some good short-term advice for Central Yharnham (the area you're in now) so the best thing I can contribute is in a broader sense.

Most From games offer multiple options on how to proceed and Bloodborne is no exception. The best thing you can do is needle your way into new areas/paths slowly but surely, feeling out how big a challenge the game is throwing at you. If you come up against a wall then chances are there's an alternative to proceeding - you can always come back later.

I liken exploring in From games to creating concentric circles around a bonfire. Slowly push forward into parts unknown but never just dash forward and get completely lost. Soon you'll be so familiar with the layout of the map that you'll be able to visualize it out of game. This repetition is a big part of how the game makes you feel that you're becoming more competent and powerful.

Also bear in mind that leveling up, while certainly important, is not as important as upgrading your weapon. If you feel like you may want to experiment with weapons you'll find later in the game, don't be afraid to upgrade everything to +3 as soon enough you'll be swimming in low level upgrade materials.

Alternatively, the ax and cleaver are both completely viable weapons to beat the game with, so don't feel that you need to change it up. The cane is also viable but generally considered a slightly more advanced weapon not suited for beginners.

Lastly, if you're having trouble figuring out what the hell is actually going on in the story, remember you can read item descriptions for lore and plot info. These games are pretty obtuse for the uninitiated and I'd say about 80% of the story is contained in descriptions.

Remember, progress isn't so much about defeating bosses or finding new lamps (although both are gratifying as hell!) and more about gaining confidence in your fighting skills and ability to overcome new challenges.

Please don't use guides/walkthroughs unless you're completely demoralized. As others have said it really ruins the experience and you won't realize that until it's too late.

Hope this helped a bit. Have fun! A first run of Bloodborne and a long weekend sound like an amazing time.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the cycle continues! Hopefully the nightmare never ends... Kos! Or as some say Kosm.

Quotah+kos+or+as+some+say+kosm+will+you+hear+_d8fd40cd84dcda226a297ddb138a153e.jpg

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, fuck these fucking
shark giants
to fucking death.

I'm also selling my hardcover copies of the Future Press guides for both Bloodborne and The Old Hunters DLC if any of BB era is searching! They're beautiful and out of print, but I need the money. 130$ for both together shipped.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Also bear in mind that leveling up, while certainly important, is not as important as upgrading your weapon. If you feel like you may want to experiment with weapons you'll find later in the game, don't be afraid to upgrade everything to +3 as soon enough you'll be swimming in low level upgrade materials.

Alternatively, the ax and cleaver are both completely viable weapons to beat the game with, so don't feel that you need to change it up. The cane is also viable but generally considered a slightly more advanced weapon not suited for beginners.

Agreed on weapon upgrading, but I have to disagree with the Cane not being suited for beginners. I was a Souls virgin at the time, and picked the Cane due to this starting "DMC build": https://www.mandatory.com/culture/8...build-bloodborne-origin-class-skill-effective and it worked very well for me. So much so, that I beat all the Chalice dungeons and the DLC with it as well. Its damage output can feel a bit underwhelming in the beginning, but its versatility and the whip form's range and crowd control make up for it. The whip form also works wonderfully against larger enemies and bosses, and offers the same +20% bonus damage against beasts that the Cleaver does. In fact, I tried both Cleaver and the DLC's
Whirligig Saw
against the last dungeon's second boss, but they didn't work as well for me as the Cane did.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed on weapon upgrading, but I have to disagree with the Cane not being suited for beginners. I was a Souls virgin at the time, and picked the Cane due to this starting "DMC build": https://www.mandatory.com/culture/8...build-bloodborne-origin-class-skill-effective and it worked very well for me. So much so, that I beat all the Chalice dungeons and the DLC with it as well. Its damage output can feel a bit underwhelming in the beginning, but its versatility and the whip form's range and crowd control make up for it. The whip form also works wonderfully against larger enemies and bosses, and offers the same +20% bonus damage against beasts that the Cleaver does. In fact, I tried both Cleaver and the DLC's
Whirligig Saw
against the last dungeon's second boss, but they didn't work as well for me as the Cane did.

Hey to each their own, I mean it's an option from the get-go for a reason. It does have great verticality and crowd control. I just meant that compared to, say, the ax, it's got a larger learning curve.

First blind play through with the cane is a little ballsy. Kinda like starting as Chris in the original Resident Evil.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Hey to each their own, I mean it's an option from the get-go for a reason. It does have great verticality and crowd control. I just meant that compared to, say, the ax, it's got a larger learning curve.

First blind play through with the cane is a little ballsy. Kinda like starting as Chris in the original Resident Evil.

I'd say picking the Kirkhammer would be a ballsy move for the first run. ;)

Another upside of picking the Cane from the starting weapons is that it scales with skill, which in turn increases the visceral damage output. So, if you're going to use the parry method a lot like I did, it's going to pay up in the long run.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you all for the suggestions.

So, next time when I launched the game, went straight to Hunter's Dream and found lots of notes on exploring the area.First time I was here that church/hall gate was locked but now it was open, fortified my weapon there. Able to parry easily with the brick trolls now but not with every enemy Large Huntsman for example has killed me thrice already while I was trying to parry. Reached on top of the bridge and there it was....Cleric Beast..had seen it only in the videos :) He has killed me thrice so far and I am barely able to reduce him to 1/3rd of his health (currently at level 11). Will explore a bit more and level up before coming back to him.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say picking the Kirkhammer would be a ballsy move for the first run. ;)

Another upside of picking the Cane from the starting weapons is that it scales with skill, which in turn increases the visceral damage output. So, if you're going to use the parry method a lot like I did, it's going to pay up in the long run.

Haha well true but I was only talking about starter weapons. It was in response to a beginner after all.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you all for the suggestions.

So, next time when I launched the game, went straight to Hunter's Dream and found lots of notes on exploring the area.First time I was here that church/hall gate was locked but now it was open, fortified my weapon there. Able to parry easily with the brick trolls now but not with every enemy Large Huntsman for example has killed me thrice already while I was trying to parry. Reached on top of the bridge and there it was....Cleric Beast..had seen it only in the videos :) He has killed me thrice so far and I am barely able to reduce him to 1/3rd of his health (currently at level 11). Will explore a bit more and level up before coming back to him.

Cleric Beast is a tutorial in aggression. He's designed to teach you about the HP regeneration window where you heal a portion of health if you counter attack quickly upon getting hit.

Stay in his face and don't give him space.

You can't parry him but if you deal enough damage in a small amount of time you'll hear the same audio cue that you do when parrying smaller mobs and he will stagger. If you line up in front of him you can visceral attack for big damage. This applies to many of the large unparryable bosses in the game.

Glad you're having fun - keep at it!

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This. So much. Getting used to a free camera is one of the most useful skills you can learn.

Say two trash mobs come up to you at once. You can hit one, stagger him, hit the second one, stagger, back to the first, second again etc. not possible with lock-on. I always forget the option exists to be honest.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite not-secret-at-all trick to Soulsborne games is the immortal "dodge left".

Three left to go, three I never beat before the first time around.

Orphan of Kos, Laurence the First Vicar, and motherfucking Moon Presence.

It's been a glorious second run seeing everything to total completion. Going to make sure to atleast attempt all of the chalices solo before succumbing to what lies beyond.