• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I have quit before and it is one of my biggest gaming regrets. I want that platinum.

That's what I thought you meant. Man you're in for a treat. The reason I mention it though is that Arcane can be a little tricky for your first run. You don't get access to items you kind of need for that build until much later on unless you know what you're doing.

If you think that's how you'll have the most fun, then go for it, but personally I'd recommend against it. Same with bloodtinge. But hey man, opinions and stuff.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starting this again, I had stopped at the part where the three
hunters gank you.

Not this time fuckers.

That's where I got brick walled my first play through too. Ended up dropping the game for six months before rerolling.

To this day I still can't get by them without cheesing them. Don't even know how people can.

Awesome to see so many people starting this game fresh! Almost makes me consider ps+ but .... nah.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Those three hunters along with the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst are the worst encounters in the game. Damage sponges with infinite stamina.

Honorable mention goes to the one in Byrgenwerth.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you finally defeat each of the infuriating but lovable DLC bosses-
J3aP.gif

That feeling when you lose to a boss that is literally at the sliver of sudden death and you still die mid killing blow-
giphy.gif

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Those three hunters along with the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst are the worst encounters in the game. Damage sponges with infinite stamina.

Bloody crow of Cainhurst is bs. Infinite stamina, infinite bullets, infinite items, massive life so it takes forever to kill him. Honestly a lot of the npc hunter fights weren't all that fun cause a lot of them are like this.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

The Crow wasn't that hard with the Cane's whip form, but the Byrgenwerth and Research Hall hunters were a pain in the ass, largely because they used the same weapon. The latter killed me more times on NG+ than most of the bosses. Her goddamn parry & visceral combo ruined me several times.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The first time I fought the Byrgenwerth hunter I actually wondered if it had been somehow glitched because I couldn't believe that it was working as intended.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloody crow of Cainhurst is bs. Infinite stamina, infinite bullets, infinite items, massive life so it takes forever to kill him. Honestly a lot of the npc hunter fights weren't all that fun cause a lot of them are like this.

Truth.i died about five times at the most to normal bosses. Bloody Crow of Cainhurst took me 25 tries at least. Beat Orohan of Kos my second try. That fucking hunter is The Worst.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Giant sharks in that well is from soft trolling us. "We know you want to get that sweet weapon from Lady Maria, so to get it you have to fight not one, but two giant sharks. Have Fun!"

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll speak no more of shark giants, their snarling haunts me.

Just finished the second run and have now seen
two of the three endings.

Intense, strange, and utterly macabre. 11/10 game, game of the generation, it's the gothic nightmare I didn't know I wanted.

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the video I saw too. Didn't work when I tried it. Unless it only works with the throwing knifes.
Using the monocular and shooting it with the pistol or the bowblade doesn't work for me.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, that's the video I saw too. Didn't work when I tried it. Unless it only works with the throwing knifes.
Using the monocular and shooting it with the pistol or the bowblade doesn't work for me.

Yeah, it only works with throwing knives. You just need to deal with them with a weapon, once they're closer to the edge. That's where the Cane's whip form comes handy once again. ;)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Skill/Bloodtinge with Chikage and the Repeating Pistol is a great skill build that focuses on doing good damage with pistols (something that you'll never do on your average, non-BT build), and you can focus on gun parrying.

This'll with with strength instead of skill for the Bloodletter if you have Old Hunters, and it will work with any weapon in the game, although these are the ones that benefit from the BT. Obviously, the transformation of both of these that scale with BT are two handed, so you can't benefit from a BT scaled weapon and the gun at the same time, but with 40/40 skill/BT, you'll be fine just using the one handed form, then transforming for the riposte.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only read this if you want to make the shark bros a much easier ride and oh god did I wish someone told me before I died fifty times trying to get that sweet sweet weapon-

Shaman blade.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Most builds are pretty good. I like skill builds because skill scales with visceral attacks.
Skill/Bloodtinge with Chikage and the Repeating Pistol is a great skill build that focuses on doing good damage with pistols (something that you'll never do on your average, non-BT build), and you can focus on gun parrying.

This'll with with strength instead of skill for the Bloodletter if you have Old Hunters, and it will work with any weapon in the game, although these are the ones that benefit from the BT. Obviously, the transformation of both of these that scale with BT are two handed, so you can't benefit from a BT scaled weapon and the gun at the same time, but with 40/40 skill/BT, you'll be fine just using the one handed form, then transforming for the riposte.

Thanks! Father G down. Way easier this time, playing Dark Souls 3, Nioh, and The Surge before going back to this helped lol

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
What weapon? If you have the axe, you can hide behind gravestones to block his bullets, and you can use the extended form of the axe to hit "through" them. Cheap, but effective.
Yes, using axe. Thanks, will put aside my ego/honor and will try this trick to defeat him :)

Did you find the music box? It helps quite a bit.
Using it transforms him quickly though and its his 2nd phase where I'm struggling.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Don't use it in his first phase. Use it to finish him off on his second phase.
Thanks. Tried that too, guess there is some time lag between using the box and its impact on him. Sometimes, he is vulnerable with an animation where he is holding his head and sometimes he just keeps on hitting me. Will check again. Thinking of leveling up also before facing him again. Currently at level 14. Will increase damage stat.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Have you upgraded your weapon? That will have a bigger impact on your damage output than leveling up.

The bipedal wolfmen above the sewers area drop bloodshards so you can be at +3 before any boss.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
FINALLY, after like, a year, this beautiful piece of sacred gold has been revealed.

Along with:

Final versions will be painted, obviously.

Take all of my money. Please, God.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I have decided to give this game another go. This time instead of strength, I am going to build an arcane based character.

I loved the cane/whip so my only real build throughout my 2 playthroughs was a skill build until I started farming the shit out of echoes in the chalice dungeons (one in particular) and just started building up all my stats. I did play around with all of the arcane items and came to love a few, but they only really shone for me after I dumped a crazy amount of echoes into arcane due to their scaling, so I couldn't personally imagine running it as my main build from the beginning.

This tactic may be considered cheap but this is how I beat him. I use the stairs and kite him up, when he rounds the corner, use the spin attack of the axe to hit him. Then hop down using the roof and repeat.

Cheap? CHEAP? Did you kill your opponent and not lose your echoes? Then as far as I'm concerned it's fair play ;)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My second BL4 attempt comes to a gracious submission at Ludwig. I'm actually having fun fighting him, but I know I don't have the staying power to learn the fight to this degree, so I'll admit defeat before it stops being fun. I can get him to 60-70% HP almost every time, so I'm sure I could reach the second phase, but I just don't have the patience long-term. I made it to Wet Nurse in the main game which is where I gave up on my first BL4 run too (which was also my first plathrough), not that Wet Nurse is hard, I only tried once but I moved on to DLC + optional areas.

I guess I'm just filling in time before Sekiro....

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just beat orphan of kos.
greatest achievement of 2019 so far.
The final run of
Ludwig, Maria, Laurence, Kos, Gherman, Moon Presence
is just.... Sublime. Hard to describe. Phenomenal. Grossly incandescent. The best fucking feelings I think I've felt gaming all gen.

Really everything after ROM makes me warm and tingly inside in all the right ways. Grant me eyes indeed!

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I've been going through my FROM Backlog before Sekiro and noticed that I've yet to play The Old Hunters DLC. I haven't played since a few months after launch and my character is in NG+ at Blood Level 80. Will I get curbstomped in the DLC? Should I replay most of the game in NG+ or restart the whole thing?

I have beaten every Souls game other than II, and the DLC for this and III.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I've been going through my FROM Backlog before Sekiro and noticed that I've yet to play The Old Hunters DLC. I haven't played since a few months after launch and my character is in NG+ at Blood Level 80. Will I get curbstomped in the DLC? Should I replay most of the game in NG+ or restart the whole thing?

If you're rusty you'll find Old Hunters difficult in NG+, but you absolutely must play it. If you're prepared to replay most of the game anyway you might as well restart and try a new build.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
If you're rusty you'll find Old Hunters difficult in NG+, but you absolutely must play it. If you're prepared to replay most of the game anyway you might as well restart and try a new build.
I'm definitely rusty which is why I had considered playing through the whole thing in NG+, restarting from scratch might be the best course at this point. I have a hard time going back to games DLC's after extended periods of time unless they are relatively simple like The Witcher 3. Although at this point I've played so many Souls games that my aptitude comes back pretty fast..

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'd restart - you can blitz through start of Bloodborne pretty quickly and it will help refresh everything. Old Hunters is great but I'd put the bosses as around Martyr Logarius hard.

Fully expecting someone to point out how they did Martyr on their first try now!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I did Logarius on my fi..... j/k! As if!

Have to agree to start a new character, everthing in the DLC hits like a truck even on NG. But it's arguably the best of the Soulsborne franchise, it's a must :)

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Level 80 is what the official guide recommends for the DLC on NG. It'll be much harder on NG+. I tried it at lvl.60, but it was too hard for me, so I returned to it after I was at 90. Since you've already beaten the game, reaching that point, and the excellent Blood Echoes farming ground after Micolash, shouldn't take that long.