• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If someone's up for some Challenge, search for a Depth 1 Chalice with no ritual, and enter to the only one that have 4 unnamed rituals. It's a depth 5 Chalice with cut extra rituals enabled. Be ware it halves your HP for almost 90%, so it's basically a no hit dungeon.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
trying to get through this before Sekiro and having a good time. Bought this at launch, generally didn't like it, gave up at Nightmare of Mensis. Also had a toxic job that sapped all my energy.

Haven't played through a souls-like since DS3 launch now and I think that makes me appreciate this more whereas at launch I was still pretty fresh off soloing DS1 and DS2. Incredible atmosphere and the combat is clicking with me in ways it didn't before.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I have tried to get into bloodborne many times but always failed, i bought it sometime in late 2017, didn't even manage to get to the cleric beast, then bloodborne was added to plus and I tried again, still got stuck at the same point. A few months later I tried once more, found the cleric beast but didn't manage to defeat it.
Today, thanks to DriftingSpirit encouraging me, I have redownloaded the game, defeated the cleric beast and defeated father gascoigne (well the latter was a double KO but it counts!) I am happy I tried to pull through and play it again in the end, because I am starting to appreciate this game so much more now.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I also had a hard time with getting into Bloodborne at first. Kept dying trying to get past the beast bonfire, and then once doing so, discovering that there was no "safe" point directly after (and subsequently dying) really dashed my enjoyment of the game.

But there was a voice in the back of my head. That voice... was spite. Because a friend told me that I wouldn't like that game because it was too hard, and I was like, FUCK THAT GUY and kept playing.

Well it worked. Once I opened the gate shortcut to the second lantern (and opened my eyes to the importance of shortcuts, and making me finally see the Metroidvania parallels), I got more and more hooked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I have tried to get into bloodborne many times but always failed, i bought it sometime in late 2017, didn't even manage to get to the cleric beast, then bloodborne was added to plus and I tried again, still got stuck at the same point. A few months later I tried once more, found the cleric beast but didn't manage to defeat it.
Today, thanks to DriftingSpirit encouraging me, I have redownloaded the game, defeated the cleric beast and defeated father gascoigne (well the latter was a double KO but it counts!) I am happy I tried to pull through and play it again in the end, because I am starting to appreciate this game so much more now.
Bless.

You got this. I'm glad it is turning around for you.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm almost done with a quick playthrough inspired by Kotaku Splitscreen talking about it all the time.

I bum-rushed through Vicar Amelia to get access to the DLC so I could nab Whirligig. I never used it as my main weapon, and goddamn is it good. Combined with some Beast Blood pellets and I am having an absolute blast. This thing just powers through every boss! The only one I had trouble with so far was Rom. I do not understand why I'm so bad at Rom. Every time I've played through this game, it takes me like 10 attempts to down him. I know the strat! I know the movements! I'm just bad at it.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
But there was a voice in the back of my head. That voice... was spite. Because a friend told me that I wouldn't like that game because it was too hard, and I was like, FUCK THAT GUY and kept playing.

Yeah I gave up on a late game boss a few years back and it always nagged at me that I didn't finish and the difficulty made me quit. Even if I didn't come around to like it more I still needed to beat it out of spite and hatred of that boss

Game feels way easier than it was in 2016, maybe I just know how to play better this time

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
So, I'm almost done with a quick playthrough inspired by Kotaku Splitscreen talking about it all the time.

I bum-rushed through Vicar Amelia to get access to the DLC so I could nab Whirligig. I never used it as my main weapon, and goddamn is it good. Combined with some Beast Blood pellets and I am having an absolute blast. This thing just powers through every boss! The only one I had trouble with so far was Rom. I do not understand why I'm so bad at Rom. Every time I've played through this game, it takes me like 10 attempts to down him. I know the strat! I know the movements! I'm just bad at it.

Rom was a big pain for me too. My next to least favorite boss after the Living Nightmares.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You get thrown straight in to NG+ after the final boss in BB don't you, so you should definately do the DLC before facing the last boss.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love this game to death, but I forgot how utterly annoying these fucking rock hurling assholes are, especially when you can't move fast thanks to the swamp you're moving in. Oh and that swamp is poisoning you constantly, of course. Oh and how about some Frenzy Inducing Winter Lanterns in the poisoning swamp for good measure. Fuck this place so hard. Why Miyazaki.

I have Whirlgig as my first weapon in my playtrhough atm as well, and I just used Tonitrus on Rom, beat it on my second try.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I stopped going in the swamp part where the Winter Lantern is, I can't remember what loot is there but I have a mental note that it's not worth it. I use Blue Elixir to avoid the boulder throwing guys, but usually I forget about Nightmare Frontier until way too late and everything is way too easy including Amygdala but there are some chunks to be had in there, so it pays to go earlier.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I'd really enjoy in a souls game, just a regular ass swamp. No poison in sight, just some mist to limit your visibility and maybe bullshit hiding in the water.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Beat micolash using poison knife strat after getting fucking killed by his magic attack in the second phase a million times. That boss made me quit my first run and now I remember why....

I love this game to death, but I forgot how utterly annoying these fucking rock hurling assholes are, especially when you can't move fast thanks to the swamp you're moving in. Oh and that swamp is poisoning you constantly, of course. Oh and how about some Frenzy Inducing Winter Lanterns in the poisoning swamp for good measure. Fuck this place so hard. Why Miyazaki.

I just followed a YouTube video for a route I could use to run through it all, that area sucked

Oct 25, 2017
Or you can just do NG+ The dlc is obnoxiously hard on NG+ but outside of that NG+ is actually a lot of fun. Its perfect for learning a late-game weapon you maybe haven't put as much time into and fucking around with alternate routes (admittedly, the only real alternate route is to buy the hunter emblem, but doing that changes the level quite a bit).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
After letting the Sekiro hype get to me I have decided that I am gonna jump back into Bloodborne. I feel the blood calling me for a 4th playthrough. Only game I have ever played that I am able to get just as hyped for the 4th playthrough as I was for the 2nd.

No idea what build I'm gonna go with though. I was playing with the idea off a full starter weapon playthrough. Only ever use the Cane or the Saw Cleaver. I never did that before because I was always pulled away from them by the weapons you get later on. I'm leaning towards Cane though I think if I do end up doing that. Though despite the fact I have 3 different playthroughs I have never actually used the Saw as a starter weapon. I always chose the Axe or Cane. So maybe I should do a Saw Cleaver playthrough......

Last edited:

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat old hunters and now all that's left is the final boss(es). Orphan of Kos....what a fight

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I just stumbled onto this intriguing video about unused dialogue regarding the Yharnam Stone. It really makes me wonder, if there was originally meant to be some additional playable content for those who cleared the Chalice dungeons. It would have been a marvelous reward for overcoming the challenge.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just stumbled onto this intriguing video about unused dialogue regarding the Yharnam Stone. It really makes me wonder, if there was originally meant to be some additional playable content for those who cleared the Chalice dungeons. It would have been a marvelous reward for overcoming the challenge.

Cool stuff, and so much throat clearing from the NPC! :/

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! I found every boss fight after OoK really easy.

OoK took me three weeks worth of gaming sessions to beat. Haven't had that much trouble with a boss since Alma in Ninja Gaiden.

Yeah, they were pretty easy in comparison. Beat MP first try solo

Finished the game with 2/3 endings (I consumed the umbilical cords too early, bleh) and I have a backup save right before MP that I might use for cleaning up trophies and doing chalice dungeons before doing NG+ to get the final ending and the plat. Either way, taking a break before sekiro. This is up there with the best of this gen for me, and even I'm not sure why I didn't like it in 2015. Incredible experience and I'm glad I gave it another shot.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I decided to fiddle around with Bloodborne as an outlet to my Sekiro hype and that quickly escalated into a half-assed attempt at a BL4 run. I'm currently getting mauled by Vicar Amelia, holy crap. I'm using the threaded cane (for the first time ever) and I'm not sure I like it very much. It's good for crowd control when transformed, but it does so little damage to bosses! And I don't know if I have access to Twin Bloodshards at this point in the game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The way you access the manual is dumb. Sony should've just released a PDF instead of making you log in and go through an age gate to view a web manual.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I am about halfway through my latest playthrough of BB and I haven't done any of the Chalice dungeons since my first playthrough and I did all of them with a friend.

This time though its just me and I can't seem to ever summon someone to help me and I gotta say that going through the Chalice Dungeons by yourself is probably one of the most nerve-wracking and genuinely stressful situations I have done in a game in a long ass time. I have forgotten basically 90% of what is in them so I never know what to expect and that combined with being completely alone makes it scarier than any horror game I have ever played lol

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Level 89 over leveled to start Old Hunters on NG?
Just beat old hunters and now all that's left is the final boss(es). Orphan of Kos....what a fight
You didn't enter the DLC in NG+? Do it, that's really the perfect (challenging) difficulty.

89 is rather high for just NG but play how you are comfortable. Entered the DLC (NG+) with around lvl 90 and and a maxed LHS, oh boy i got my head smashed in.

Above 100 is recommended for NG+ if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I decided to fiddle around with Bloodborne as an outlet to my Sekiro hype and that quickly escalated into a half-assed attempt at a BL4 run. I'm currently getting mauled by Vicar Amelia, holy crap. I'm using the threaded cane (for the first time ever) and I'm not sure I like it very much. It's good for crowd control when transformed, but it does so little damage to bosses! And I don't know if I have access to Twin Bloodshards at this point in the game.
I used the saw cleaver on my BL4, the transform attack rips through Amelia, plus fire paper and BBP - there really wasn't much difference for me from a regular run with her because of that. I did her as late as possible though so I could upgrade my weapon as high as I could to that point (6+ I guess?)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
So how did people defeat the Undead Giant in the Lower Pthumerial Layer 2, I'm pretty sure its impossible. It clearly isnt a random battle I started again in the hope of getting a different boss but it seems its not random. It has an attack which is impossible to avoid, it swings its weapon which if you avoid that the balls on its back swing round to get you exactly when the iframes are finished, from max 1300 health no 0 in an instant.

I doubt anyone playtested it, its ridiculous.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know the attack you mean, but it is avoidable. It's been a while but you can absolutely dodge back out of it if you see it coming early enough, maybe even through it(?)

He has a 3 hit ground smash that I use to get damage in after dodging it, and try to break the hump on its back in the second phase, because it stuns him for a while and that is where it's more useful because he has a more dangerous moveset in the second half.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Threaded Cane is the best, you'll gain insight soon enough.
It's slightly lower damage when it comes to bosses is negated by the fact you can stay out of harm's way more comfortably. Plus, you basically get to skip the Maria fight with it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Okay so I am about halfway through my latest playthrough of BB and I haven't done any of the Chalice dungeons since my first playthrough and I did all of them with a friend.

This time though its just me and I can't seem to ever summon someone to help me and I gotta say that going through the Chalice Dungeons by yourself is probably one of the most nerve-wracking and genuinely stressful situations I have done in a game in a long ass time. I have forgotten basically 90% of what is in them so I never know what to expect and that combined with being completely alone makes it scarier than any horror game I have ever played lol
I had the same experience on my last playthrough. I couldn't remember much about the dungeons except a few set pieces, and I was on edge at all times. Playing the main game wasn't stressful because I had so much memorised.

So how did people defeat the Undead Giant in the Lower Pthumerial Layer 2, I'm pretty sure its impossible. It clearly isnt a random battle I started again in the hope of getting a different boss but it seems its not random. It has an attack which is impossible to avoid, it swings its weapon which if you avoid that the balls on its back swing round to get you exactly when the iframes are finished, from max 1300 health no 0 in an instant.

The infamous Undead Giant, most unfair boss in Bloodborne. Just search for one of the dozen topics about that unfair roadblock of a boss.

I died a few times to that attack but once you learn it you can avoid it every time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Is the Undead Giant a post Queen Yhanam fight? I stopped doing Chalice Dungeons after her, and I don't recognize the Undead Giant at all.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I think the reason some people are shocked by the giants is that they can one hit KO you even with high Vitality. If you go to the first Chalice when it becomes available (ie; after beating BSB), that giant can wreck you if you are not careful.

I finally beat Vicar Amelia with my BL4 character. I had to switch to the Saw Spear; the cane was just not cutting it. A +4 saw spear with fire paper, BBP and a couple of gems slotted combined with the serrated damage made short work of her like Red Liquorice pointed out. The R1, L1, L1 combo would just tear through her limbs.

What's interesting about doing a BL4 run is that, since I die so much, I'm constantly out of vials / bullets. I always thought that the complaint about having to farm for consumables in BB was overstated because I never really felt it in my normal playthroughs, but I'm definitely feeling it this time and yeah, it's a pain in the ass, even if I don't spend Echoes to level.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great job Noema :)
Wish you well on your BL4 run. I ran out of steam at Ludwig on my last attempt. I think I could've done it, but I knew Maria, Laurence and OoK came after that and that was a scary thought!

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Bait the attack, and strike after it. A weapon with a good reach makes it easier. You can also use Evelyn for the last phase.

Here's how I did it in one of the depth 5 dungeons.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Great job Noema :)
Wish you well on your BL4 run. I ran out of steam at Ludwig on my last attempt. I think I could've done it, but I knew Maria, Laurence and OoK came after that and that was a scary thought!

I fear this run will be cut short by the imminent release of Sekiro but I'll definitely be back. Playing like this makes the game feel fresh and scary.

Dec 25, 2017
Thought Sekiro came out last weekend for some reason and was so disappointed when I realized it that I decided to load up Bloodborne. Been a few years since I completed it but man, what a game. Managed to one shot cleric beast and Father G (barely) then proceeded to get my ass beat into the ground by Vicar Amelia a few times before I took a few hr long break then came back and wrecked her. So hilarious that she is one of the bosses I struggled with last time I played. There really is no other game I played that gives me that hype feeling you get during the boss fights and finally achieving victory.

I remember playing with the Saw Cleaver last time and as much as I wanted to give the ax a shot, I went with the cleaver again because I just love its aesthetic and the lore behind it doing extra damage to beasts with its serrated teeth. Last time I got Ludwig's Holy Sword(?), whichever the huge great sword one was and completed the game and DLC with that. I'm curious to try a different weapon this time around. Any recommendations or suggestions for fun/unique weapons? So far all I've seen at the store that I haven't tried is the Stake Driver and Rifle Spear (not really interested in this one). I just beat Vicar Amelia, got the radiant sword badge from the Workshop, and have made it to the first lamp in Hemwick Charnel Lane for an idea of where I'm at.