• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I am about to tackle the witch , playing significant portion with the saw cleaver until I got the hunter axe which is excellent. Bought Ludwig holly blade which is a decent weapon but reverted back to the axe . I don't why but the axe feels much more hard hitting and is excellent for crowd control. My question is can I finish the game with the axe and so invest in upgrading it or should I start looking for better weapons ( I own the DLC BTW )

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So should I fight Paarl now or when I circle back around to this place later?

Fight away. He's not hard, and if he gives you trouble, use fire paper. It literally melts its health away and it also disrupts its electric attack.

I am about to tackle the witch , playing significant portion with the saw cleaver until I got the hunter axe which is excellent. Bought Ludwig holly blade which is a decent weapon but reverted back to the axe . I don't why but the axe feels much more hard hitting and is excellent for crowd control. My question is can I finish the game with the axe and so invest in upgrading it or should I start looking for better weapons ( I own the DLC BTW )

All the weapons are viable, and the axe is no exception. There are really not "better or worse" weapons; it's just a matter of preference.

If you are doing a strength build, there's a DLC weapon you might want to look into, the Whirlgig Saw, AKA Pizza Cutter, but you can't go wrong with the Axe, or any other weapon for that matter. There's enough upgrade materials to bring at least two weapons to +10 (even more if you have tons of insight and buy Chunks and Rocks with them)

Use what feels right to you.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The first time I played I used the axe exclusively, almost always in two-handed mode. Every other weapon felt like a downgrade.

Last year I played through a second time with a different build and weapons. I finally learned to parry consistently, I used Hunter Tools, and I had a great time. But I never stopped missing my axe.

I love that axe.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
What makes the Axe great is that it has the crowd-control advanages of the cane in transformed mode, but it also deals pretty decent damage to bosses. It's only drawbacks are that it's two handed when transformed, so no guns and it lacks serrated damage, but it's a great weapon and also very friendly for beginners.

Oh, and Spin2Win!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm so happy I can't see framepacing. I am purposely avoiding learning how, for fear of never being able to "unsee" it once I do.

In the central Yharnam main gate, after the clinic stand at a spot where you can see a ton of buildings drawn in the distance. Then slowly pan the camera around your character. It's even worse if you try it after playing a 60fps game for a continued length of time

Sorry. 😳

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm so happy I can't see framepacing. I am purposely avoiding learning how, for fear of never being able to "unsee" it once I do.
Haha, same here. I don't notice frame pacing and chromatic aberration doesn't bug me, so BB is almost flawless in my eyes.

In the central Yharnam main gate, after the clinic stand at a spot where you can see a ton of buildings drawn in the distance. Then slowly pan the camera around your character. It's even worse if you try it after playing a 60fps game for a continued length of time

Sorry. 😳
You monster!

30fps games definitely feel bad after playing 60fps, but that feeling goes away for me after a few minutes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
30fps games definitely feel bad after playing 60fps, but that feeling goes away for me after a few minutes.

Agreed. I returned to BB after playing Let It Die, which runs at 60fps, and while it felt sluggish at first, it didn't take long for the feeling to pass.

EDIT: I find the occasional stutter in LID more bothersome. It happens every now and then, and when the game skips a beat during a fight, you might get hit because of it. It's particularly annoying when fighting against the endgame enemies and bosses, where one hit can wreck you. Imagine that happening in Defiled Chalice.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any resources out there which show each zone's mobs optimal parry windows?

I have reached a point in the game where I've opened a few branching paths and I want to mix up my weapons. Sick of training on Central Yarnham peeps.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
How far you in? Love hearing war stories from Yharnam.
I just beat the witch of Hemwick and I'm grinding/farming to face Amelia.
So far the bosses I have beaten are Cleric, Papa G, BSB and the witch of course.
I chose troubled past and before going online I chose the axe and levelled it up so much that using anything else feels retrogressive. I also unlocked my first chalice dungeon but got my ass handed to me before I reached anything that looked like a boss. So now I'm just wondering Cathedral Ward and Grinding for echoes and vials.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I'm here to ask the question that's been asked a million times: what's the farthest I can go before I need to start the DLC? Is it not until I beat the final boss?

I just got to Nightmare of Mensis, having completed Nightmare Frontier.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm here to ask the question that's been asked a million times: what's the farthest I can go before I need to start the DLC? Is it not until I beat the final boss?

I just got to Nightmare of Mensis, having completed Nightmare Frontier.
Just don't kill the final boss. However, if you keep the end boss of the Nightmare of Mensis, Mergo's Wet Nurse, alive too, you'll get a bit more dialogue from the doll as you play through the DLC.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, definitely keep the boss of Nightmare of Mensis alive. I thought it wouldn't matter, beat it and didn't get the extra dialogue during the DLC. So that was somewhat disappointing.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this is likely the game of the generation for me all things considered.

Funnily enough, I am a gamer that generally plays games on the "easy" setting and normally disliked hard games. But the difficulty in this game is just perfect. It is the right balance between making the game tense as hell, without being overly frustrating. Further, there is always level grinding in case one hits a hard spot. Also, the general world design and level design are absolutely fucking stellar. Like holy shit, it is so well realized and atmospheric. Exploring every nook and cranny is like slowly sipping fine wine, in a way no other game is.

Some time ago I lost my recent Bloodborne save because of a hard drive loss (shitty Seagate hybrid SSHD; get rid of that shit if you haven't and see other threads on the matter). I only lost, like, New Game +6 to New Game+7. But I was still pissed as hell. And this is from someone who generally doesn't give a fuck about save games in 99% of games. It is because of how awesome this game is.

If PS5 would only have 1 title at launch, and that is Bloodborne remastered at 4k/60 fps, I would buy it without batting an eye. It is that good.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Got my madman's knowledge tattoo finished up
47u4yrhy4vu21.jpg

Not to whore my reddit post, but further info is there if you wanna know the artists/see the rest of my arm (goes up into an old metroid half sleeve)

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this for the first time since I finished the DLC upon release. I killed Father Gascoigne on my first attempt which was a real delight as on my original playthrough he took a long time to beat. I'm absolutely in love with the game again. However, the frame rates are a lot worse than remember.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Playing through this for the first time since I finished the DLC upon release. I killed Father Gascoigne on my first attempt which was a real delight as on my original playthrough he took a long time to beat. I'm absolutely in love with the game again. However, the frame rates are a lot worse than remember.

Yeah, Sekiro definitely runs better than BB on base PS4. I played BB for a bit the other day and even panning the camera around is jank-city.

Oct 25, 2017
That tattoo is crazy cool! I've been meaning to do a BB tattoo but haven't really figured out in what direction I want to go but your's already blows any vague idea I've had out of the water.

Oct 25, 2017
God all the dlc weapons are so freaking cool. Its a shame so many of them are pretty much impossible to get unless you beat the game. But I guess that's what NG+ is for

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I completed my first playthrough of Bloodborne about a month ago, then moved on to Dark Souls 1 and 3. After multiple playthroughs of those games I felt like going back to Yharnam, honestly much sooner than I expected. I felt really done with the game after I finished it and didn't think I would replay it anytime soon. But the itch has returned already, so here we are...

First playthrough I did Strength/Arcane, so it only makes sense this one will be Skill/Bloodtinge (with an emphasis on the former, though).

One thing I would have loved was some sort of soft NG+ mode which lets you start from scratch in a NG environment, at base level and with nothing carried over except the weapons you gathered last playthrough. Especially since so many cool Skill weapons are not available until the second half of the game or hidden in the DLC.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I too have been itching to replay the game. Thinking of going full Saw Spear so that I can 1) get better at parrying, since the gun is always available with that weapon, 2) get better at trick weapons and not overly rely on hitting R1 over and over, and 3) look like the dude on the boxart.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Saw Spear is what I am currently using as well. I also tried the Threaded Cane again, but it just isn't my thing. Since I avoided the various Saw weapons the first time around so I figure I might as well give them a go this time, at least until I get my hands on weapons like the Chikage and Blades of Mercy.

I might also switch to the Saif when the DLC becomes available.

Also wondering if I should keep using the Hunter Pistol like last playthrough or if I should switch to the Blunderbuss just for the sake of it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Managed to befriend Djura tonight. Pretty cool! Hypogean Gaol was a bit tough immediately after BSB, but I managed in the end. I used a Hunter Mark for Paarl, because he seemed a bit too hard at this point.

I'll return to Djura tomorrow and see if he is standing at the edge of the tower again so I can push him off. I got the gesture, now to get his set and make it easier to loot the first part of Old Yharnam.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Managed to befriend Djura tonight. Pretty cool! Hypogean Gaol was a bit tough immediately after BSB, but I managed in the end. I used a Hunter Mark for Paarl, because he seemed a bit too hard at this point.

I'll return to Djura tomorrow and see if he is standing at the edge of the tower again so I can push him off. I got the gesture, now to get his set and make it easier to loot the first part of Old Yharnam.
I enjoyed befriending him, then immediately climbing down and killing a beast. The anguish of betrayal is a fine punishment for the sniping bastard.

Obviously then I pushed him off the edge. He just had to learn his lesson first.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I enjoyed befriending him, then immediately climbing down and killing a beast. The anguish of betrayal is a fine punishment for the sniping bastard.

Obviously then I pushed him off the edge. He just had to learn his lesson first.
Haha, nice. I hope he stands with his back to the stairs so I can set him up for a visceral.

After that all his little friends in front of the tower will die. They made life utterly miserable for me in my first playthrough and this will be my revenge.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I completed my first playthrough of Bloodborne about a month ago, then moved on to Dark Souls 1 and 3. After multiple playthroughs of those games I felt like going back to Yharnam, honestly much sooner than I expected. I felt really done with the game after I finished it and didn't think I would replay it anytime soon. But the itch has returned already, so here we are...

First playthrough I did Strength/Arcane, so it only makes sense this one will be Skill/Bloodtinge (with an emphasis on the former, though).

If you don't go full Bloodtinge is not worth it. There's no weapon that scales with both at the same time, just one or the other depending on the form, and Bloodtinge form will always be better with weapons like Chikage.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm always itching to (re)play Bloodborne, I've cleared the main game twice but only got as far as Living Failures in the DLC on my main file, and I might finally get to continue it after 8 months very soon. (This is the No-PS4 life, I play at a friend's house.)

I fucking adore this game.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The road to Hemwick Charnel Lane—you know, with the dogs and gunmen—is decidedly less creepy during sunset.

If you don't go full Bloodtinge is not worth it. There's no weapon that scales with both at the same time, just one or the other depending on the form, and Bloodtinge form will always be better with weapons like Chikage.
It might not be the best from a min-max point of view, but my main goal is to try out as many weapons as possible. My previous Strength/Arcane build let me use one half of the game's weapons and now I want to use the other half.

Way I see it, at worst a 40/25 Skill/Bloodtinge build forces me to rely solely on Skill weapons. But there are plenty of those. Best case scenario is the Bloodtinge investment allowing me to use the handful of Bloodtinge weapons/forms as well, even if the damage won't be optimized.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Marter Logarius is weird. For the second time in a row now, I die and I die and I die to him, only to beat him immediately after upgrading my weapon to +8. Though in this case it might have helped that stuck to the untransformed Saif and managed to lock him into repeating the same routine.

Aaaanyway. Finally got my hands on the Chikage and... it is kind of boring? I had never seen it in action before, but I expected something a bit more over the top. Like even the Reiterpallasch at least looks like a very elaborate rapier even in its untransformed state.

Maybe I should try my luck and go after Ludwig so I can get the Church Pick...