• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Finally came back and beat Micolash after putting the game down for a year or so. I've been told to avoid fighting any more bosses and to go into the DLC at this point. Is that true? Apparently progressing any more sets stuff on fire or something.

Anyway I've totally forgotten what build I was going for. Looks like primarily a STR/SKL build but I've got BT at 22, so clearly I was trying to level that up. Not sure why. 🤔
You can progress to the next main boss if you want, but definitely do the DLC after that. No further.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Finally came back and beat Micolash after putting the game down for a year or so. I've been told to avoid fighting any more bosses and to go into the DLC at this point. Is that true? Apparently progressing any more sets stuff on fire or something.
You could do one more boss, any after that will lock you of the DLC. That said, the resulting "world change" after the next boss does lock you of some additional bits of dialogue specifically linked to the DLC. I fought that boss before the DLC and wish I hadn't.

So I would advise to progress to the top of the nightmare so you at least have all shortcuts unlocked, but to leave the boss alone until after the DLC.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds good, will grab the next shortcut then head directly into the DLC.

Also is Chikage a good weapon if I get my Bloodtinge up to 25? I think right now I'm at 35/25/22 STR/SKL/BT. Debating whether I should go all out STR (been using LHB), or if I should bump BT up for some nice ranged damage with Evelyn / Bowblade.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The boss after Micolash is what sets things in to motion with The Hunter's Dream being on fire, but that doesn't effect doing the DLC, you can do the DLC any time after defeating Amelia.

You do go straight in to NG+ after defeating the final boss, but you will know which boss that is, it isn't the one in Nightmare of Mensis after Micolash.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Anyway I've totally forgotten what build I was going for. Looks like primarily a STR/SKL build but I've got BT at 22, so clearly I was trying to level that up. Not sure why. 🤔

People are rightly advising against doing the DLC for the first time on NG+. As long as you don't finish the game before doing the DLC, you should be fine.
The last boss you can kill before being thrown into NG+ is Mergo's Wetnurse. After you've defeated it, the Hunter's Dream will be set on fire, and you'll be able to fight the final boss. So kill Mergo's Wetnurse and then do the DLC.

Huh, I clicked on the notification, responded to the post and then realized like 6 more people had already responded. Sometimes this forum throws me off.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Don't listen to people telling you to kill the boss of the Nightmare first. Yes, it possible to kill it first and then do the DLC. But if you do, you will miss some very interesting DLC-related dialogue from the Doll. It isn't worth it.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Any tips for Laurence the First Vicar? I'm using a skill/arcane build, NG, and threaded cane 10+ (tried with a quality build on NG+, but he kicks my ass laughing).

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Ok cleared the base game up to right before Mergo's Wet Nurse, next step will be jumping into the DLC. I have to say, I'm a little excited but also nervous given how everyone says the DLC is super hard. Guess I'll find out in the next few days. 🤞🏽

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ok cleared the base game up to right before Mergo's Wet Nurse, next step will be jumping into the DLC. I have to say, I'm a little excited but also nervous given how everyone says the DLC is super hard. Guess I'll find out in the next few days. 🤞🏽

It's probably the best DLC they've made. It has a ton of content and some of the coolest, best weapons in the game. Just be ready to die a lot to some of the bosses.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I've made the mistake of starting the dlc in ng+, good lord ludwig is nearly one shotting me with half his moves lol.
Think i've screwed myself there, i really can't be bothered getting another character leveled up.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys listen to the "O Flora, of the moon, of the dream" dialogue recently? I got it on my first playthrough, back when the game came out, but I feel like since the DLC came out I never got it even once. Was thinking about it yesterday as I finished another playthrough.

My first one since Sekiro came out.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've made the mistake of starting the dlc in ng+, good lord ludwig is nearly one shotting me with half his moves lol.
Think i've screwed myself there, i really can't be bothered getting another character leveled up.

I think a lot of people had that experience with the DLC and that's why it became so infamous for being hard. Not that it isn't hard, but playing it for the first time on NG+, probably months after finishing the game and not playing it certainly made an impression on people.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
I still personally think the DLC was waaaayyyyy better than the base game (which I still adored) so you're in for a treat imo! It is definitely more difficult, but you're making the right choice by not doing it for the first time in NG+ lol. Best of luck!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Played a little bit of the DLC yesterday (unlocked the first shortcut with the gate in that first area). I can definitely see why people are saying it's difficult, especially with all the hunters you have to fight, but I think I'm overleveled enough that it takes some of the sting out (I was level 100 going into the DLC).

What's the consensus on being overleveled like I am? Will I still be able to summon for bosses easily, even if I go into a NG+? Or should I stop leveling up at some point?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Played a little bit of the DLC yesterday (unlocked the first shortcut with the gate in that first area). I can definitely see why people are saying it's difficult, especially with all the hunters you have to fight, but I think I'm overleveled enough that it takes some of the sting out (I was level 100 going into the DLC).

What's the consensus on being overleveled like I am? Will I still be able to summon for bosses easily, even if I go into a NG+? Or should I stop leveling up at some point?

Level 100 seems awfully high to be starting it. I think I was level 65-70 going in. 100 seems like a NG+ level.

As far as summoning goes I imagine you'll have a tough time but I could be wrong, if you're in this situation then others are sure to be as well. Still, being overleveled coupled with a shrunken player base will probably narrow your options.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Level 100 seems awfully high to be starting it. I think I was level 65-70 going in. 100 seems like a NG+ level.

As far as summoning goes I imagine you'll have a tough time but I could be wrong, if you're in this situation then others are sure to be as well. Still, being overleveled coupled with a shrunken player base will probably narrow your options.

The official recommendation is level 85. I started it at 90*, and it was much more manageable than at 65, where I was at initially when I started it just before Byrgenwerth.

* EDIT: And I was at the exact same point as Dance Inferno; between Micolash and Mergo.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
85 sounds about right. The two hunters in the beginning are probably meant to determine if you are ready for the DLC and I often find myself struggling when I fight them at level 60 and with a +6 or +7 weapon. If you need 4 - 5 viscerals to kill a common foe, like I did at that point, you know you are underleveled.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
DLC first timer here. Yeah, it's pretty difficult...

Any tips on dealing with these axe-wielding bastards at the beginning of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RjH73JLOM

Also, a more general question: I have a +9 axe and a +6 Tonitrus, which I stopped upgrading a while ago simply due to negligence. Is there any reason not to spend the necessary blood items (3 chunks to level up the Tonitrus)? I don't see why not, right? It's not like spending these will make upgrading the axe more difficult, since that now requires blood rocks. Only other way I see to spend blood chunks would be to upgrade a third weapon (not going to do) or sell them (also not going to do).

What's prompted me to think about leveling up the Tonitrus is that it'd be nice to have a weapon with good bolt damage. I've been spending a bunch of echoes (and some insight) on bolt paper lately.

What number of weapons do people usually run with? That is, weapons that they keep leveled up.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

Any tips on dealing with these axe-wielding bastards at the beginning of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RjH73JLOM

Also, a more general question: I have a +9 axe and a +6 Tonitrus, which I stopped upgrading a while ago simply due to negligence. Is there any reason not to spend the necessary blood items (3 chunks to level up the Tonitrus)? I don't see why not, right? It's not like spending these will make upgrading the axe more difficult, since that now requires blood rocks. Only other way I see to spend blood chunks would be to upgrade a third weapon (not going to do) or sell them (also not going to do).

What's prompted me to think about leveling up the Tonitrus is that it'd be nice to have a weapon with good bolt damage. I've been spending a bunch of echoes (and some insight) on bolt paper lately.

What number of weapons do people usually run with? That is, weapons that they keep leveled up.

Especially as it's your first time though the DLC, save your chunks for a bit. You're about to find some really sweet new weapons.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
85 sounds about right. The two hunters in the beginning are probably meant to determine if you are ready for the DLC and I often find myself struggling when I fight them at level 60 and with a +6 or +7 weapon. If you need 4 - 5 viscerals to kill a common foe, like I did at that point, you know you are underleveled.

At level 65, the beast hunter in the first area was by far the hardest enemy hunter for me. It wasn't such a struggle after I leveled up to 90.

You can sneak behind some of them, and deliver a visceral attack. That goes for the one standing in the front of the cathedral as well. Just run past him, wait until he returns to his place, and sneak behind him.

I'd recommend to save the Blood Chunks for DLC weapons, unless you really love using Tonitrus. There are very good weapons for your strength build.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're easy to chain backstab. The two in front of Ludwig are placed specifically for this to top up on bullets/vials during boss tries I'd say.

I always prefer buffing to split damage weapons, but the Tonitrus is a cool little thing.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a problem. I decided that now, few years since I last played the game, it might be a good time to start another Bloodborne run. Only to be greeted by "Unable to locate Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC. This save data cannot be used until the DLC is downloaded again." Problem is, there's no way to download the DLC for my GOTY version.

So here's the history of how I played/bought this game in the past:
- Disc version at launch, played through once, sold it
- Early 2016 I bought the GOTY digital version. Checked the receipts, it's definitely on the account I'm trying to play now.
- Sometime in 2018 Bloodborne base game was PS+ freebie so I grabbed it along with other games because sure why not, what harm could it do.

So now I have two different Bloodborne games that look identical in the UI. Same name ("Bloodborne"), same game icon, just slightly different size (36.51GB vs. 32.97GB). The former is the GOTY version for which I have save files that say that I need to install the Old Hunters DLC. The latter is the PS+ version, no compatible saves in that one at all. The problem is that there's no way to actually install the Old Hunters DLC. Can't download it from PS Store, nothing in my library and it's my primary PS4 for the account. I've tried restoring licenses, re-downloading both versions, downloading directly via the store, having only one or the other installed but always the same issue. If I go to the Old Hunters page in the store, it says "You are not able to purchase this product for the following reason(s): You already own: -Bloodborne(tm)

Is the issue that somehow the PS+ freebie overrode my GOTY version license? Any ideas, tips? Contact Sony and have them not solve the issue because it's a weird situation they don't know could even happen?

In the worst case I might be willing to give up my save and start fresh but even then I don't have the Old Hunters DLC activated so that's not an option.

edit: I decided to contact Playstation support and to my surprise they replied quickly AND solved the issue. The PS+ version was removed from my account, I re-downloaded/re-activated licenses and now the GOTY version works fine. I'm actually stunned that the support could resolve the issue and so efficiently too. On the other hand it shouldn't be an issue in the first place, their license validation system has some flaws.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty late in the game and haven't found anything that scales skill better than the starting cane. I have done no chalices beyond the first one.

Edit: I'm actually like level 82 but haven't gotten past Nightmare of Mensis, Cainhurst Castle, or Ebrietas yet, and haven't started the DLC yet. Now I'm wondering if I should just start the DLC and go for the DLC weapons.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Where do I get blood vials from in Bloodborne? I just entered Central Yharnam, killed few enemies and it seems everyone of them dropped the vials. Then I died and they are not dropping anymore for me. I died four times and I'm left with no blood vials. I've read that they should be dropping from enemies but they are not. I presume it's a bug, right? I've restarted the game but it didn't help. What are the other options?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Where do I get blood vials from in Bloodborne? I just entered Central Yharnam, killed few enemies and it seems everyone of them dropped the vials. Then I died and they are not dropping anymore for me. I died four times and I'm left with no blood vials. I've read that they should be dropping from enemies but they are not. I presume it's a bug, right? I've restarted the game but it didn't help. What are the other options?

Use spare Blood Echoes to buy them from the Hunter's Dream. When you do that every time you level up, you never run out of them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Trolls/Ogres drop them most of the time, as well as those big, wolf-like beasts on the bridge in Central Yharnam. The latter might be too difficult to farm, but the trolls/ogres are fairly easy to deal with once you learn how to parry them.

You can also buy them in the Hunter's Dream, as mentioned.

Also remember that there is a short period after taking damage in which you can earn lost health back by attacking enemies. Regular enemies tend to leave themselves completely open after an attack, so don't be afraid to abuse that by going ham on them and replenishing your health in the process.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
They're a random drop from regular Yharnam dudes so you just got lucky with the first few.

Use spare Blood Echoes to buy them from the Hunter's Dream. When you do that every time you level up, you never run out of them.
I wish I'd figured this out sooner on my first playthrough. I wasted so much time farming weak ogres for vials instead of later enemies for big money. I do think farming is more efficient very early in the game,.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Thanks for all the tips. I've bought one blood vial in Hunter's Dream and after killing few enemies another vials dropped. Those vials dropping from each of the very first enemies were a bit confusing.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Thanks for all the tips. I've bought one blood vial in Hunter's Dream and after killing few enemies another vials dropped. Those vials dropping from each of the very first enemies were a bit confusing.
My Central Yharnam path for blood vials is as follows:
- turn left to the second lamp
- kill the human enemy (rarely gives blood vials) and then to the left to the two giants (most likely 4 vials there, but possibly useless shiny coins)
- double back up the dark 2-story building (with the wheelchair guy trap) and kill the humans in there (might get a few vials if lucky, guaranteed ammo)
- exit at the top floor and aggro the two werewolves up there and lure them to the building exit (so they can't get in) and kill them (3 vials each, possibly upgrade materials)
- take the exit, turn left and kill the other giant (2 more vials) and crows (probably nothing) and exit using the Cleric Beast lamp

That takes about a minute, and usually yields 10-14 vials.

Of course, there's a better spot later in the game, so I'll use spoiler tags:
Equip anything that'll give you more blood per kill. In the Lecture Building (floor 1), farm blood by killing the enemies in the large room full of enemies. Repeat a few times and you should have enough blood to buy 30-40 vials.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I swear to god the Soulsborne games have cursed my controllers.

For a long time I was using a controller that, apparently, had a busted left joystick. Most games were fine, but in Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 my character would randomly "stutter step", alternating between running and walking as if tripping over the environments. I thought it was ground clutter that caused it, but I didn't experience it with a friend's controller. Few weeks ago it also happened in Diablo 3 and since the battery was getting weaker as well, I decided it was time to buy a new controller.

Yesterday I began a new playthrough of Bloodborne with my brand new DS4. Movement is fine, but now the camera is acting up! I tend to adjust the camera as I run, often to make long, eventless runs a bit more dynamic and interesting to look at. Except this now causes the camera to sometimes lock into this movement, causing it to automatically circle around my character. This has happened multiple times in a just a few hours of gameplay. It never happened before with my old controller.

I just can't catch a break.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with the leveling of the chalice dungeons?

I only just started trying to craft them and all the ones I craft are way below my level. Do you have to work your way through the chalice dungeons by getting better chalice materials in each new one? If so, it feels like an entire adjacent game that I've been ignoring until now. I wonder if I shouldn't even start making them again until NG+.

You could do one more boss, any after that will lock you of the DLC. That said, the resulting "world change" after the next boss does lock you of some additional bits of dialogue specifically linked to the DLC. I fought that boss before the DLC and wish I hadn't.

So I would advise to progress to the top of the nightmare so you at least have all shortcuts unlocked, but to leave the boss alone until after the DLC.

Huh. Good thing I read this because I just beat Micolash (I ended up using some trickery to prevent him from ever starting the last phase of the fight) and have been bouncing back and forth between Mensis and the DLC.

I didn't find the hunters in the DLC super hard but I'm stuck on the first DLC boss now. I guess I should just stick to trying to beat him right now. It took me a few tries just to make it to his 2nd phase.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So what's the deal with the leveling of the chalice dungeons?

I only just started trying to craft them and all the ones I craft are way below my level. Do you have to work your way through the chalice dungeons by getting better chalice materials in each new one? If so, it feels like an entire adjacent game that I've been ignoring until now. I wonder if I shouldn't even start making them again until NG+.
Chalice dungeons don't scale with NG, they have their own fixed levels of difficulty (says the level from 1-5 on the tombstone info). That's how you get access to the later ones yes, play through them for more chalices and materials.

You get access to the first ones very early (Bloodstarved Beast) and are meant to be played as you progress through the main game. If you leave them all until late game, it can take a while a to get to the challenging ones (I did this on my first playthrough and found the early ones boring - my own fault). They're worth doing and after the first couple of levels will start to pose more challenge.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So according to the wiki Gehrman is supposed to have more Hunger's Dream dialogue than I've seen so far, but for me he disappeared really early on. I probably haven't seen him at all since before the Amelia fight.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
He comes back and can also be found sometimes around the corner outside the upper door, near where the tree stump is where you can change what the Messengers wear (you might've missed it, there's nothing else there).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sleeping Gehrman always tends to appear relatively early for me. But once I have the necessary insight to hear more of his dialogue, he only rarely spawns.

Unrelated: the Beast Cutter is such a badass weapon. The idle transform animation into whip mode is a thing of beauty.

Until now I have been using the Stake Driver, so the Beast Cutter feels like a good choice as my secondary weapon. Stake Driver covers both slash and thrust, albeit at close range. While the Beast Cutter is blunt and serrated with both close and long/wide range modes.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Upper Cathedral Ward is both the best and the worst area in the game. What a ride.

All worth it, though, for now I have my favorite hat again.

bloodborne_2019080102tukxg.jpg

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Started a new Bloodborne run to test out my playstation gold headphones and damn, the sound design is impeccable. All the little cries and sobs from the yharnamites both indoors and out. The foreshadowing with baby cries and mergo's lullaby in certain places. The slow, plodding footsteps and the subtle footstep sounds when stepping in blood and water are great.