• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Did I fall for a meme with this Threaded Cane business, or what?

Started a new game and picked it earlier (after doing my first playthrough with the Saw Cleaver + Hunter Axe) and it feels... quite unremarkable? The standard R1 string is exactly what you'd expect: ya feel like an older guy waving his cane around. Far from the awesome, meaty feeling of hitting things with a blade. In its transformed, whip-like state, the weapon is a bit more interesting, but I feel quite stationary when using it that way, and it just doesn't feel as powerful as it should. The axe's spin attack is, comparatively, far more devastating, and superior for crowd control.

Not sure that I'll stick with it yet. This will be a skill playthrough, so if it's not the Threaded Cane, I've gotta find something else fun to use that benefits primarily from that stat.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've never been able to get into the Threaded cane. The transformed mode is good to keep groups of enemies at bay, but I always struggle against bosses and end up swapping it for another Skill weapon.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did I fall for a meme with this Threaded Cane business, or what?

Started a new game and picked it earlier (after doing my first playthrough with the Saw Cleaver + Hunter Axe) and it feels... quite unremarkable? The standard R1 string is exactly what you'd expect: ya feel like an older guy waving his cane around. Far from the awesome, meaty feeling of hitting things with a blade. In its transformed, whip-like state, the weapon is a bit more interesting, but I feel quite stationary when using it that way, and it just doesn't feel as powerful as it should. The axe's spin attack is, comparatively, far more devastating, and superior for crowd control.

Not sure that I'll stick with it yet. This will be a skill playthrough, so if it's not the Threaded Cane, I've gotta find something else fun to use that benefits primarily from that stat.

There's always Blades of Mercy. They're a beaut.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Hello friends, I wanted to ask to the veterans, which starting weapon should I take in order to do a new playthrough with the chikage being my main down the line ?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've never been able to get into the Threaded cane. The transformed mode is good to keep groups of enemies at bay, but I always struggle against bosses and end up swapping it for another Skill weapon.
Same here. Someone on here once said the Threaded Cane makes the game into a pseudo-Castlevania, which I would love to be the truth but the damn thing just never does it for me.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
So been playing through on a 99 arcane build and omg. This is so much fun. It's also not difficult at all at the start of the game. God bless YouTuber' Speed Lee's guide. Been largely following his build with some tweaks.

Torching Amelia

Executioner's Gloves broken af vs Amy

Gloves vs Rom

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
So been playing through on a 99 arcane build and omg. This is so much fun. It's also not difficult at all at the start of the game. God bless YouTuber' Speed Lee's guide. Been largely following his build with some tweaks.

Torching Amelia

Executioner's Gloves broken af vs Amy

Gloves vs Rom

Damn! I'll have to try that with my level 240 character, which has 45 on Arcane.

GSSMGO4.png

I don't remember what Arcane/Fire gems I have though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'd recommend starting from a new build itself. Cruel Fate start. It's just satisfying as hell.

I really don't like starting all over, now that I can use all weapons and tools effectively with a single character. I've also farmed +25.3% and +27.2% physical attack gems from the root Chalices, which have only stamina or damage against Kin penalties, and have six +10 weapons and two +9. Although, increasing Arcane now takes a LOT of Blood Echoes.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I really don't like starting all over, now that I can use all weapons and tools effectively with a single character. I've also farmed +25.3% and +27.2% physical attack gems from the root Chalices, which have only stamina or damage against Kin penalties, and have six +10 weapons and two +9. Although, increasing Arcane now takes a LOT of Blood Echoes.

Yeah that's the issue. I imagine getting to 99 arcane will be a slog.

If you've got the root chalices unlocked, the gems you need will largely be determined by your weapons obviously. I've been running a Lost Saw Spear (As recommended) with a bunch of fire gems in it (or bolt gems depending on the boss). Right now I'm at a Root chalice trying to farm Watchdoggo for a +24.8% cursed fire gem. After that, its a level 3 Phtumerian Elder for some cold abyssals with +65 Arcane scaling .

Then I move on to working on my uncanny Logarius wheel. Yay the farm grind.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
That feeling when you get Ludwig to his second form in a matter of seconds.

Oil Urn + properly fire spec'd Saw Spear = NASTY. I love this Arcane build.

Of course my PS4 Capture craps out AGAIN after a Ludwig fight though and I lose the footage. Why. Why is it always this fucking boss?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Man I loved this game and then got to the point of no return so I went to the DLC and I keep just hitting walls of difficulty in the DLC that has me going nowhere and it's frustrating. I was able to eventually overcome everything in the base game with a few tries but the DLC man, that's a spike in difficulty. Sucks but kinda feel like just ignoring the dlc and finishing the game but hate that I will miss out on the rest of the DLC content... but damnit I'm so stuck

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The DLC is some of the best content in the game, it's tough but it's definately worth pushing through. Have you got to the first boss yet?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The DLC is some of the best content in the game, it's tough but it's definately worth pushing through. Have you got to the first boss yet?

Took a while but stuck on that first boss for months now, keep pushing and keep getting taken out on that 2nd form. And I'm lvl 90+ right now, I just can't get past him and it's been annoying as heck

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmmm, try watching some fights on youtube to see what other people are doing - I always think of LobosJr's NG+7 fist only fight because it lasts a long time and you can pick-up on patterns and how to consistently dodge each attack. I prefer that than looking at people killing the boss quickly because I don't learn anything from them.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, decided to pick up Bloodborne again after nearly two years. I only made it around halfway through the first time (did everything up until Rom, including Logarius and Amygdala), before another game I had been waiting for came out and distracted me from it. Never managed to come back to it, and after so long I figured it'd just be best to start over.

And holy shit at myself, I've managed to beat both the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne on my first try and I've only died twice so far to mobs. Which is crazy insane improvement cuz I'm fairly certain I had died just about 8430984032 times (and at least a quarter of which was spent solely on Gascoigne) by this point the first time around. 😂
I feel so powerful! And it's such a rush, too, cuz this game scares the shit out of me. Everything about it is so creepy and stressful and I'm constantly anxious af about what's gonna be around the next corner lol. Feels good to be kicking its butt so far. (Countdown until that luck runs out lol...)

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly there's still some decent challenge in the chalice dungeons too for vets. Some of the deep F/R/C chalice dungeons are nuts. Especially the ones with multiple Cainhurst hunters in one place. I remember one chalice dungeon had an arena with a Keeper and Cainhurst hunter. Nope'd the FUCK out of that.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Argghhh!!! Fuck the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst!! I had him down to a sliver of health and like a complete dumbass I got greedy and he friggin' double shot and visceraled. Arrgggh I was so close!! 😂 😂 😂
This dude is completely nuts. Majority of the time he just two-hit KO's me right at the start of battle before I can even pop a single blood vial lol. Ironically, if you can get him into a good dance he clearly isn't that hard it's just one misstep into his gun and you're toast. The dance step dodging needed for his fight is fun, at least.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Argghhh!!! Fuck the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst!! I had him down to a sliver of health and like a complete dumbass I got greedy and he friggin' double shot and visceraled. Arrgggh I was so close!! 😂 😂 😂
This dude is completely nuts. Majority of the time he just two-hit KO's me right at the start of battle before I can even pop a single blood vial lol. Ironically, if you can get him into a good dance he clearly isn't that hard it's just one misstep into his gun and you're toast. The dance step dodging needed for his fight is fun, at least.
Bloody Crow is bs. Its complete nonsense that he has infinite bullets and can spam his guns and hunter tools all day.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody Crow is bs. Its complete nonsense that he has infinite bullets and can spam his guns and hunter tools all day.
Lol, yeah he's a right bastard!

But fuck yeah, I beat him!! :DD
Tbh I found his fight a lot of fun, and he definitely has a pattern to his bullets and slashes. I think he might be my favorite (not really a) boss in the game so far!

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Oh man, decided to pick up Bloodborne again after nearly two years. I only made it around halfway through the first time (did everything up until Rom, including Logarius and Amygdala), before another game I had been waiting for came out and distracted me from it. Never managed to come back to it, and after so long I figured it'd just be best to start over.

And holy shit at myself, I've managed to beat both the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne on my first try and I've only died twice so far to mobs. Which is crazy insane improvement cuz I'm fairly certain I had died just about 8430984032 times (and at least a quarter of which was spent solely on Gascoigne) by this point the first time around. 😂
I feel so powerful! And it's such a rush, too, cuz this game scares the shit out of me. Everything about it is so creepy and stressful and I'm constantly anxious af about what's gonna be around the next corner lol. Feels good to be kicking its butt so far. (Countdown until that luck runs out lol...)

I beat the game when it released but never got around to the dlc. I also just recently decided to revisit it.

Despite having beaten I also find this game extremely tense and makes me very anxious playing it, glad to see it's not just me!

I also beat Gascoigne Gascoigne first time, which is funny because I was dreading the fight leading upto it because he gave me such a hard time when I played it before.

miobrien

Oct 30, 2017
Started Bloodborne three weeks ago and I'm obsessed. Might be my favorite game of all time!

I liked the Souls games but struggled. I'm psyched to go back and play them now. Anyone have experience going back to Souls after BB? I feel like the aggressiveness of BB could make Souls easier/slower.

Anyway, currently doing the DLC. Lady Maria is kicking my ass. Trying to improve my parrying but phase 3 is tough. Laurence also is challenging. Might just give up and complete the game. We'll see.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Started Bloodborne three weeks ago and I'm obsessed. Might be my favorite game of all time!

I liked the Souls games but struggled. I'm psyched to go back and play them now. Anyone have experience going back to Souls after BB? I feel like the aggressiveness of BB could make Souls easier/slower.

I think Dark Souls is still the best game in the series but the transition from Bloodborne to Dark Souls III would be the easiest combat wise.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
I think Dark Souls is still the best game in the series but the transition from Bloodborne to Dark Souls III would be the easiest combat wise.

Bloodborne was my first foray into the Soulsborne's just this past August. I only recently just Platinum'd it.

After my first playthrough of Bloodborne I was hooked. I tried to play through the souls games chronologically but SotFS frustrated me to the point I gave up after 30hrs and played through DS3 instead. It wasn't until my attempt at playing Sekiro was met with the Genichiro wall and I decided to give SotFS a second chance. I adore that game now.

But to your point I agree Bloodborne is the "easier" game mechanically because there's fewer weapons and there aren't many options for Arcane and Bloodtinge when you compare them to Intelligence and Faith. Not to mention the guns in BB and the fact you cannot specifically dictate your loadout by which hands have what weapons.

There are just more systems in Dark Souls when considering your builds therefore making it deeper and more complex.

DanteZaibatsu

Oct 27, 2017
Arsenal Gear
With the whole new Coronavirus spread and panic going on, does anyone get creepy reminders of Bloodborne? The infected blood, people locked away in their houses. I'm not trying to glorify it or anything, it just genuinely reminds me of it in a horrible way.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my platinum. Fuck them CDs. How good is the DLC? I have it, but not sure if it's worth playing through or not.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my platinum. Fuck them CDs. How good is the DLC? I have it, but not sure if it's worth playing through or not.

Play it.

Only issue is, it's already NG+ difficulty on NG. So prepare for it to be very hard. It sucks you are automatically taken to NG+ upon finishing the game, because that puts the DLC even harder.

However, it is utterly fantastic. Amazing DLC. The environments are just so good.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Play it.

Only issue is, it's already NG+ difficulty on NG. So prepare for it to be very hard. It sucks you are automatically taken to NG+ upon finishing the game, because that puts the DLC even harder.

However, it is utterly fantastic. Amazing DLC. The environments are just so good.

I backed up my save just before finishing the last boss so I could go back and do the DLC without having to play through a bunch of stuff in NG+.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hey ya'll, it's my first time getting this far in the game I was playing with the volume off (son taking a nap) and didn't realize the NPC in the Odeon chapel was friendly so I killed the fuck out of him and got a trophy, (something about a rune). Am I going to miss some serious shit now? Tried reloading but there's only one save.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Really enjoying the game now, btw; this is the last big Playstation exclusive I've intended to finish. I've tried multiple times before but always bounced after the first ten minutes since and I've never played any Dark Souls games so it always felt like I was flying blind. At least I get the combat, exploration and upgrade systems now enough to not get pounded.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Hey ya'll, it's my first time getting this far in the game I was playing with the volume off (son taking a nap) and didn't realize the NPC in the Odeon chapel was friendly so I killed the fuck out of him and got a trophy, (something about a rune). Am I going to miss some serious shit now? Tried reloading but there's only one save.

Not sure but I -think- you miss out on being able to bring npcs there to safety if hes dead.