• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I made a thread about a PS1 Demake of Bloodborne couple months ago. The author of it posted an actual boss fight, and now it's exploded in exposure. The PS1 Demake trend continues!

So much talent on display.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd almost forgotten how grating the Cleric Beasts sound effects are 👂🩸

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Looks like it has better frame pacing than the source material jajajaja

Seriously, however, these are so well done (esp. considering the effort put into remaking sound effects and OST). I genuinely wonder whether PS1 could handle such a project with visuals like that.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since we're never gonna get that 60fps 4k Bloodborne experience, might as well go back 8)

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the music and some of the sound effects so bad? PS1 was capable of better sound than this.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Looks like it has better frame pacing than the source material jajajaja

Seriously, however, these are so well done (esp. considering the effort put into remaking sound effects and OST). I genuinely wonder whether PS1 could handle such a project with visuals like that.

Probably. Although probably not so much the Open World aspect. Opening a door or gate would probably have it's own sectioned / individual loaded area. Although considering stuff like Jumping Flash had fairly large open environments and being very early PSX release.

Good examples of 3rd person action titles with open-like worlds in the form of Megaman Legends or even Tail Concerto are good ideas on what to expect. As for the setting and tone, games like Tecmo's Deception / Deception 2 might give a general idea. There is even King's Field as example but instead of a first person perspective it shifts as a 3rd person one.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. I love the giant text boxes and simple fonts. Not enough texture warping, though. Playstation games never looked so crisp.

I wonder if it would really run on original hardware. Doesn't really matter; even ones that do benefit from modern tools and techniques, and might not have been possible to create back in the day.

But I'm always curious, anyway. All those NES-style games always made me wonder, too. Some would - and occasionally even would be released on a cart. But most that I know of would not.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Probably. Although probably not so much the Open World aspect. Opening a door or gate would probably have it's own sectioned / individual loaded area. Although considering stuff like Jumping Flash had fairly large open environments and being very early PSX release.

Good examples of 3rd person action titles with open-like worlds in the form of Megaman Legends or even Tail Concerto are good ideas on what to expect. As for the setting and tone, games like Tecmo's Deception / Deception 2 might give a general idea. There is even King's Field as example but instead of a first person perspective it shifts as a 3rd person one.

Yea, I was thinking more Resident Evil type level design. I have not heard of Tecmo's Deception titles (will give it a look) but yea King's Field does give a good idea.

All these de-makes me make me wonder about how game designs have evolved and yet with certain types of tweaking and sacrifices could be made to run on HW of yesteryear.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Major props to the developer on the great work, but if I'm to nitpick this doesn't really capture the aesthetic of a PS1 game at all to me. Looks more like an ID PC game from the era or something. The environment, character models and animations just look way off. For comparison, here's what 3rd person weapon based combat looked like on PS1:

The giant pixels on the textures just make it look like it's trying to take on a forced "retro" sheen, yet simultaneously there's too much detail and too many unique textures, and the movement and animations do not look like a ps1 game at all.

Anyway like I said, this is very cool and well done. It's just giving me whatever the retro gaming version is of the uncanny valley phenomenon looking at it since I actually was gaming during that gen.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. I love the giant text boxes and simple fonts. Not enough texture warping, though. Playstation games never looked so crisp.

I wonder if it would really run on original hardware. Doesn't really matter; even ones that do benefit from modern tools and techniques, and might not have been possible to create back in the day.

But I'm always curious, anyway. All those NES-style games always made me wonder, too. Some would - and occasionally even would be released on a cart. But most that I know of would not.
Nah, it's a UE4 game. Don't know if it's in the video, but previous videos had its window panel design