• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
MV5BMDFlODY4YjItMzRiYS00YjAyLWIyYWYtNTI1MDcwYzk0YzQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg4NzY5ODc@._V1_.jpg

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
They are working on patches to address most of the issues brought up in the OP. I agree with the suggestion that they should've just delayed the Switch version, but at least they were quick to respond to its issues. It still sucks having to wait, and not knowing how long that wait will be, but at least we know they are focusing resources to fix it. So, even though this game is sitting on my shelf, I'm just pretending it hasn't been released yet. Besides, it's not like I don't have anything else to play on my Switch right now.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version hasn't exactly been perfect either. I've had to restart quite a few times due to getting stuck in walls, getting stuck when I accidentally pressed the attack button while in the water trying to get used to the Aqua Stream, and the game has outright crashed when I've checked some of the bookcases.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I got the PS4 version on launch because it was reasonably cheap at Wal-Mart. I finished it. Rebuying it again on Steam for $26 the next week was the best decision for the game because it's obviously the superior version to all of them. It was infuriating how often the PS4 version crashed, I can't imagine having to combine that with all of the other issues on the Switch, including halved framerate and worse overall visuals.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The thing with Bloodstained is the game is straight up unpolished and feels very amateur on all platforms. Playing it with downright hideous visuals and big framerate dips (the framerate against the Giant Hand boss omg, single digits?) On switch just outlines it's issues even more

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There is one late game/final boss that runs better on Switch than on the other consoles from what I hear , which is ironic

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any criticism of the Switch port was getting shot down in both the game's OT and the eShop thread, but that's par for the course in the latter.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
They are working on patches to address most of the issues brought up in the OP. I agree with the suggestion that they should've just delayed the Switch version, but at least they were quick to respond to its issues. It still sucks having to wait, and not knowing how long that wait will be, but at least we know they are focusing resources to fix it. So, even though this game is sitting on my shelf, I'm just pretending it hasn't been released yet. Besides, it's not like I don't have anything else to play on my Switch right now.
They were quick to respond because they already knew how inferior the Switch version was before the one week delay.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The low standards in this thread are incredible.

Stuff like Firewatch on Switch are laughable and should not be a "it's playable" debate. They should not release a game on Switch just to grab some coins if the game is not on a decent state. Period. They're asking money for it. This is not a charity.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF kind of mental gymnastics response is this. If you played a multiplayer game on a console 4 generations ago, this is an upgrade.

Not really mental gymnastics. I'm not clutching an emotional argument nor do I really care enough to put myself through cognitive dissonance. What I'm saying is that if you've played and enjoyed other performance-challenged games (e.g. N64 multi), and weren't that bothered - you will probably love this game. It's really good.

I would love a performance patch as well. That said, I've still loved my time with the game. These aren't mutually exclusive viewpoints.

I wish we could get UE4 games at 60fps on Switch.
Yoshi is 60fps

I can think of at least two.

Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue X Tag
That fighter z Port is like 45fps :(

*ahem*

1tqnXSh.png

As a bonus, this is the only standalone Virtua Fighter game available on Steam to this day.

Its fuck Sega for not including the sonic games in that collection and then fooling me into thinking I was going to play VF on PC.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a $100 backer. I went with the Switch version and I really regret it. I bought it digitally on PS4. :(

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I didn't back it because I'd probably have chosen the Switch version. I'm sure the game will be fixed 2 years from now when I get it on PC for $5.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Input lag isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for an Igavania. You don't exactly need Contra or Alien Soldier levels of reflexes to get through the game.

That said, it really shouldn't be present at all. These and other issues (only one or two of which I personally encountered, thankfully) are very disappointing in a game like this.
You don't need it for the reflexes, you need it for the controls to be fun, which is a critical part of any good metroidvania game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda want to get this but I can definitely wait ATM. Loads of other games to play to take a chance on this. Their loss for it not being good enough.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The thing with Bloodstained is the game is straight up unpolished and feels very amateur on all platforms. Playing it with downright hideous visuals and big framerate dips (the framerate against the Giant Hand boss omg, single digits?) On switch just outlines it's issues even more

It felt pretty polished at 4k60 on PC. I didn't have a single dropped frame or crash in my 24-hour playthrough. Great game.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
My copy of Curse of the Moon arrived in the mail the other day; I'll just play that until the Switch version is fixed.
Whoa! There is a physical copy version of Curse of the Moon? I absolutely loved that game and at the time I bought it I didn't even realize it was a precursor to Ritual of the Night. When I did I was so excited to be getting it on Switch, but now there is no way. Have you beaten Curse of the Moon? I did the first playthru but apparently there are many different play thrus.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Whoa! There is a physical copy version of Curse of the Moon? I absolutely loved that game and at the time I bought it I didn't even realize it was a precursor to Ritual of the Night. When I did I was so excited to be getting it on Switch, but now there is no way. Have you beaten Curse of the Moon? I did the first playthru but apparently there are many different play thrus.

Retail copy is exclusive to Best Buy via their agreement with Limited Run Games

I had a bit of a fiasco where Best Buy went out of stock on the title, and since LRG said that their Best Buy titles were "one print run only" I ended up buying it from eBay for almost twice of what my GCU price would have been.

Then a few days after the eBay purchase it came back in stock. Sigh.

To answer your question, I only received it Tuesday, and haven't have the time to pop the seal on it.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Not really mental gymnastics. I'm not clutching an emotional argument nor do I really care enough to put myself through cognitive dissonance. What I'm saying is that if you've played and enjoyed other performance-challenged games (e.g. N64 multi), and weren't that bothered - you will probably love this game. It's really good.

I would love a performance patch as well. That said, I've still loved my time with the game. These aren't mutually exclusive viewpoints.

What was acceptable 20 years ago doesn't mean this is ok now.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Retail copy is exclusive to Best Buy via their agreement with Limited Run Games

I had a bit of a fiasco where Best Buy went out of stock on the title, and since LRG said that their Best Buy titles were "one print run only" I ended up buying it from eBay for almost twice of what my GCU price would have been.

Then a few days after the eBay purchase it came back in stock. Sigh.

To answer your question, I only received it Tuesday, and haven't have the time to pop the seal on it.
Well you're in for a jolly good time if you enjoy any old school Castlevania game, especially III. And to keep this on topic, I desperately hope there is a phenomenal patch of this game. It feels like they completely rushed this. If a game like Tropical Freeze can run at 60fps there is no reason this can't keep a solid 30 at least. I just don't understand this stuff, I'm not a developer so I have no idea what goes into this especially when comparing a small team to a company like Retro with the full might of Nintendo behind them.

Maybe the new Switch with extended batt life will offer some sort of enhanced boost mode, something like the OG Switch got to make loading times better in Zelda and other improvements but even more kicked up. Also, does anyone know exactly what the original Boost mode does on Switch?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was acceptable 20 years ago doesn't mean this is ok now.

I agree, and it's frustrating because there's a marvelous game hidden behind these issues. I'm a dock-only player though and for me, I've been able to overcome the annoyance and really enjoy myself.

Hopefully the patches are meaningful and allow more people to experience the game properly.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is going on in this thread?
  • Questioning OP's claims, even though OP even provided (personal) video proof.
  • "There are way worse ports than this" - since when was this an excuse?
  • "Hyperbole Era as usual" - brushing off complaints because they were strongly worded.
  • Suggesting that the OP read about the issues online prior to playing, which made the OP biased when playing.
  • Brushing off the complaints because "I had no problems when playing it".
The lengths some people go to make up excuses for poor releases baffles me. Is it console wars? Is it backers trying to validate their personal investment? I'm not trying to lambaste the developers of the game, I work in software development and am well aware of how fucked up it can be, but some of the posts here are truly something else.

Indeed, there are some really transparent posts in here.

Hyperbole titles attracts similar responses.

My first reaction tells me to ask how old the OP is, if this is the worst port they played.

Bloodstained definitely has a lot of issues. Load times on ps4 (from disc) are already on the long side.

And the OP's age is relevant to their issues with the port how?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me exactly 3 seconds to know the Switch port was unplayable. The input lag is ridiculously bad. Then I hit a candle and the FPS dropped to like 3 fps, and I turned it off.

It's truly terrible.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst of all the versions of Bloodstained (especially docked), but I wouldn't call it Ark levels of bad.

djnhkguy

May 10, 2019
Seattle, WA
I'm toughing it out and attempting to make it through this bogus port (I'd estimate I'm about 50% through the game), but for anyone stumbling into this thread wondering if they should get the Switch version - Nope, go for PC or PS4.

F31 Leopard

Oct 30, 2017
These are not limited to the Switch port. I've experienced all of these on the base PS4 version as well.

It's absolutely shameful the state this game released in. You can tell they had to rush this out the door at all costs, polish be damned.

Totally agree. I love this game but it does feel like it was released in an unfinished state. I also experienced one of the problems TC is talking about on my PS4 Pro. This is from the latest Version 1.03

As for the Switch version by no means it's acceptable but for the most part it plays ok. I have 50+ hours on the Switch version and it only crashed once on me. Here's a quick speed run up until the infamous loading part in the library.

Last edited:

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Gamestop is giving $15 for it. Add $5 and you can get an eShop card to get whole collection of Castlevania games that don't run like ass on Switch.

Wouldn't be surprised if they come back and said that there's no fixing this mess of a Switch version at this point. I already traded mine in. I wash my hands of this. Maybe they'll make this right and give backers a code for a decent version of the game, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wish I could say that I will never buy another 505 Games game again, but it already looks like a few good devs have lined themselves up with these carneys.

Last edited:

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
The bugs have worked in my favor twice. In one boss fight, the boss glitched into a wall allowing my to defeat him easily. In another boss fight I glitched underneath the screen allowing me to win easily.

Otherwise I've had one hard crash, frame issues and find it obnoxious not to be able to pick up some rewards. The long loading times don't bother me as much as others.

The game is still enjoyable though.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just baffled in general that Switch ports still are badly ported when it is a fact that Switch versions of games sell a lot if not more than on other platforms. You think they realize they should put more effort making them run better. Hollow Knight did.

EVA-02

Alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Wasn't the patch planned for the 15th?

I'm honesty really disappointed after supporting the game and waiting so long to play it, at least don't ship it with that amount of input delay ffs

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I can call it the worst port ever, but I agree with OP that it's reaaaallly bad. The framerate drops, crashing, muddled graphics and slowdown are pretty atrocious. After seeing how it looked running on PS4 (Just base console) vs Switch side by side in person, I'm was amazed at how poor the Switch version was. I'm not a technical/graphics whore by any means, it's just that bad.

I wonder if the graphical overhaul the game got late into development is what caused a lot of the issues for the Switch version, or if it just always ran this poor on the system? Either way, it shouldn't have been put out in this state and I never would have brought it on Switch had I know how poorly it ran.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
The port would have been rushed to meet the retail deadline of the other platforms. It was handed to another developer (WayForward) as the Switch had never been in the original KS plans. The whole game, despite its buzz, is still essentially an indie title and does have the money or manpower available at a larger studio.

I'm not saying the port is good. Having not played it personally I'm also not in a position to say much on people's grievances reported in this thread. However, I think context is important in the development of any product.

No one at team Bloodstained would have sat down and said 'let's ship a sub-par experience'. The fact that they appear, at least in press, to be trying to fix many of the issues reported is admirable, if not an ideal approach to the problem. None of these choices were taken through spite though, something many commenters seem to infer.