• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit until I got to the glitched box. Over all its OK, feels slower than SotN though. And I think her boobs are to big but whatever.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
The Iai move seems a little broken if you do it near ledges, you can reach places that I don't think you are supposed to do in this demo. Unfortunately in this part both doors on the right are locked and there's a infinite spawn of wasps. Could be good for speedruns if they don't fix it tho.

Iai.gif

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
Played the demo, and it's what I expected.

The game essentially feels fine. Some of the player-weapon hitboxes and animations need tuning to make combat a bit snappier and decrease instances of whiffing, especially when attacking in the air. I'd also like a default movement, one that doesn't rely on items or shards, to increase speed, similar to Alucard's backdash in SotN; this game's backdash and slide fail to scratch that itch.

Beside needing to work on the horrible mouth animations, all the 3D character models, other than Miriam, could really use some improvement and added detail. At the very least, they need to tone down their movement, during dialogue sequences; there's too much shaking and heaving, and the way the characters have been constructed, the clothing on some models seem to have their own breathing animations (I'm thinking of the nun character, specifically).

As for the graphics, they're kind of a mess. The game can certainly look nice. The save room is a good example, but one assumes this is an instance where most of its lighting and assets received individual attention. The overall look is just bland. Lighting changes could help a bit, but some of the assets and textures are plain ugly and look cheap. Also, the water and related effects are poorly done and distracting.

Putting aside any personal gameplay preferences and speaking only of the visuals, if the demo is a good representation of the game's current build and should the title get delayed into maybe the second half of 2019, I could see it turning-out decent enough. I worry, however, if they're still targeting 2018 or early 2019.

Last edited:

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
So, if you hit back dash right as your spear thrust is fully extended, you won't cancel out into a back dash and just queue up a back dash that'll happen after the spear attack is done. I don't know if that's a bug or meant to be like that.

It happens with other weapons too. I also did it with the whip.

This is very inconsistent. Either have attack canceling work or don't. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to work or if it's a bug now.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Can we as a thread agree on a moratorium on constantly mentioning Hollow Knight every other post? There's no need to rehash that discussion over and over.
Yeah... Especially when they're completely different things. Like, Iga's games are about the insane ability and weapon variety. Plus they're way more RPGs than anything else on the market.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys im near the end and there's this crate and I can't seem to push it. What am I doing wrong? Is this a game breaking bug or something???

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say THIS IS IT, but it's not. It's very close though, so damn close. This game is ultra fun so far and I'm loving it. That said though...

- The graphics aren't terrible, but would greatly benefit from some uniformity and consistency. Not sure how else I'd put it.
- Did they add in extra delay to the backstep vs the previous demo? Why? It was fine before.
- The run speed with the speed belt should be that fast by default. Why waste a good equipment slot for something that should be there from the beginning?
- Miriam's model looks good, but that mouth while she talks bothers the hell out of me. Somehow the other characters have the exact opposite problem.
- Fading in and out of conversations is way too long. This becomes super apparent when going through crafting and buying and conversations with random folk.
- some random slowdown and freezes in large horizontal rooms when first entering. Weird as hell.
- action cutscenes have like zero impact. Sorta like low tier cartoon/anime but I can almost forgive that.

If they can fix it up before release I'll be as happy as a pig in shit. The game already almost plays like a dream and fixing up these little odds and ends will go a long way. I'm gonna play the demo again right now.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Its definitely you. The 2018 demo looks so much better its not even funny.

No its not, at least if you care to read the same thread. The first one resembles more castlevania games, the attack animation seems better(faster) and the menu uses the beautiful artwork frame of the character instead of a bit ugly 3D moving one. Look at the stage it self dude, the first one really has the look of a wood typical of an old ship(good detailed), the lamps seems to have a better glowing effect while the area has a better ilumination. The second one has way less details on the ship and the lighting of the lamps seems to be reduced. Also it looks more darker(as if they're using to hide details). Her walking animation seems to be reduced reduced(?).
Plus when she comes upper deck looks clear that shes facing a rainstorm. In new one everything looks dark everywhere and the effect of water on the ship its just ugly.

Last edited:

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing that bothers me is the annoying screaming every time I swing a weapon. I realize you can turn the voice volume down in options but I'd rather have the voices in the cutscenes.

Also, can you get a Lion's Mane in the demo?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having problems installing the demo via Steam? Getting an error all the time, connection timeout.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
the only thing i prefere from the 2016 version is that it was more colorful imo! Castlevania games were always really colorful despite their gothic background

I would have liked the new vepar design, with the new effects and so on, but with the old color scheme

1521341792904.jpg

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing i prefere from the 2016 version is that it was more colorful imo! Castlevania games were always really colorful despite their gothic background

I would have liked the new vepar design, with the new effects and so on, but with the old color scheme

1521341792904.jpg
Vepar is such a humongous positive change. Instead of grotesque tits and a cartoony look she nos actually has the body that resembles a woman. They even gave her boobs now a silhouette that have a faint edge of a nipple. Idiots crying censorship because of this change get on my nerves.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The new demo has nice shiny shaders and normal maps, but the color maps are more detailed in the old demo. Sometimes it doesn't even look like there's anything more than a flat color and a normal map on things. A lot of stuff looks too clean for a ruined or old place and stuff is glossy when it shouldn't be at all. I think this stuff is just not finished, because there are some areas in the same environments that look much better.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I finally got to the demo today, and I loved it. It definitely gives me vibes of SOTN and Order of Ecclesia, which is exactly what I wanted, so I can't wait for the finished game to come out.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Vepar is such a humongous positive change. Instead of grotesque tits and a cartoony look she nos actually has the body that resembles a woman. They even gave her boobs now a silhouette that have a faint edge of a nipple. Idiots crying censorship because of this change get on my nerves.

but i'm not crying, the new design is 1000 times better, i'm just talking about the colors here

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
Reconciling your question with your followup sentence is an interesting exercise.
I don't take any pleasure in that. We backed this game because we wanted the genre and style of game to return. An underperformance might put it in a coffin again. That would be sad.

It's not my, or our, fault that the game looks subpsr compared to the state of the art. I can't honestly think of a worse looking metroidvania this gen. We're fans, we can forgive. But the general public doesn't.

And I'd dare to say that most fans are already backers.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't take any pleasure in that. We backed this game because we wanted the genre and style of game to return. An underperformance might put it in a coffin again. That would be sad.

It's not my, or our, fault that the game looks subpsr compared to the state of the art. I can't honestly think of a worse looking metroidvania this gen. We're fans, we can forgive. But the general public doesn't.

Did you try the demo?

The game is perfect in the gameplay department. Only thing that looks somewhat meh are the graphics.

They can only improve from here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a $100 backer of this game i say this to you again:

Cry me a goddamn river.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
as a 120$ backer , i can't stop playing since the beta is live . Found a few bugs but nothing game breaking and the list of thing i needto experiment is not even remotely done .
The gameplay is fantastic. There are tweaks to do ( whip , katanas , kung fu schooes, long swords ) to name a few but what i've played reinforces my belief that the game is in great shape and can only get better once our feedback get adressed.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you try the demo?

The game is perfect in the gameplay department. Only thing that looks somewhat meh are the graphics.

They can only improve from here.
I feel like there are some gameplay improvements that can be made. As I've said before and it othera have also, increase the speed to what it is when you're wearinf the speed belt. Some of the animations could use a little refinement. Also, the graphics definitely need to be improved and consistent. If they make those changes I'll be happy as hell.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, if you hit back dash right as your spear thrust is fully extended, you won't cancel out into a back dash and just queue up a back dash that'll happen after the spear attack is done. I don't know if that's a bug or meant to be like that.

It happens with other weapons too. I also did it with the whip.

This is very inconsistent. Either have attack canceling work or don't. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to work or if it's a bug now.
I noticed this as well. There's some kind of animation lock which makes the backdash not work like you want it to. I didn't notice this problem in the old E3 demo, you could cancel immediately into backdash. I hope they are working on this.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm more upset at the lore change. Vepar is depicted as a male, but a mermaid and not a merman, with male pronouns but female figures, and the point of that is to trap would-be travelers by ship by seeing a "beautiful woman" in the distance. The point of exaggerated breasts is so that Vepar would trick men at sea and would kill them. None of this is depicted in the current design. They've dropped all references to Vepar being a male, but is just a female monster, and I presume for that reason redesigned the monster to be more of an evil female creature. Even when talking about Vepar, they just refer to Vepar as "she".

The point of Vepar not resembling a woman may in fact have been intentional, and not for the "oh Japan just loves the big titties". I imagine people presumed the design was primarily for that reason and not to match more of the Ars Goetia which the monster is inspired from, hence what's essentially a complete change of the monster in looks and lore. I've always liked when Castlevania games tried to keep as much mythology of the original monsters as they could, and in the case of Vepar, they dropped almost all of it aside from being a sea creature.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm more upset at the lore change. Vepar is depicted as a male, but a mermaid and not a merman, with male pronouns but female figures, and the point of that is to trap would-be travelers by ship by seeing a "beautiful woman" in the distance. The point of exaggerated breasts is so that Vepar would trick men at sea and would kill them. None of this is depicted in the current design. They've dropped all references to Vepar being a male, but is just a female monster, and I presume for that reason redesigned the monster to be more of an evil female creature. Even when talking about Vepar, they just refer to Vepar as "she".

The point of Vepar not resembling a woman may in fact have been intentional, and not for the "oh Japan just loves the big titties". I imagine people presumed the design was primarily for that reason and not to match more of the Ars Goetia which the monster is inspired from, hence what's essentially a complete change of the monster in looks and lore. I've always liked when Castlevania games tried to keep as much mythology of the original monsters as they could, and in the case of Vepar, they dropped almost all of it aside from being a sea creature.
You know, as much as I love Castlevania (and now Bloodstained) for how it borrows from pre-existing lore, I don't expect it to be very accurate in doing so; I think of it as just being inspired by the original material. That said, it still bugs me that Cthulhu has been misnamed Malachi for years in EVERY SINGLE GAME IN WHICH HE MAKES AN APPEARANCE, and that's despite there being an enemy named Cthulhu in SotN (with the incorrect sprite, obviously).

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

In all fairness when did they refer to Vepar as male in the giant tiddy builds?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, as much as I love Castlevania (and now Bloodstained) for how it borrows from pre-existing lore, I don't expect it to be very accurate in doing so; I think of it as just being inspired by the original material. That said, it still bugs me that Cthulhu has been misnamed Malachi for years in EVERY SINGLE GAME IN WHICH HE MAKES AN APPEARANCE, and that's despite there being an enemy named Cthulhu in SotN (with the incorrect sprite, obviously).

That shit bugs me so much you have no idea. Malachi my ass!

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely enjoyed it a lot. One of the best pure gaming experiences I've had in a long time, and it really made me miss the days when games were gameplay centric rather than story driven narratives.

That being said, I had a few small issues:

- The sound volumes are not mixed well. Miriam is too loud, and this forces you to adjust levels on your own. However, when she gets hurt or gets a new shard, these tracks seem to be far louder than the other voice tracks. So even when the in game voice is balanced, these will cut through at high volumes.

- The village definitely needs some music. It's too quiet and feels unfinished without it... then again, maybe that's exactly the case.

- I wish the back dash could be done in rapid succession like in SOTN. It feels odd not being able to be used in such a way. It could be used this way in the original demo as well IIRC.

- I would have preferred still artworks for the dialogue rather than moving models. It would have had a nicer look and would have kept the budget lower as well.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
- I wish the back dash could be done in rapid succession like in SOTN. It feels odd not being able to be used in such a way. It could be used this way in the original demo as well IIRC.
You can cancel the back dash animation by pressing down anytime during it so if you press down near the end of a back dash you can do another back dash instantly without having to wait the recovery animation. This is not as fast as the shield dash from SOTN but it's pretty good (especially if you're using that back dash accessory).

Last edited:

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I miss having multiple "weapons" equipped like in Order of Ecclesia. I know we've got multiple shards we can equip, but it's not the same.

Still, the beta is super fun!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Probably the only thing I like better is Miriam's texture is more colorful in the 2016 build. Also the pose she has in the menu. Same with Vepar's color scheme.

2018 build looks way better, though, lots of added details to the background.
Bear in mind that the Miriam model in the pause menus actually acts as though it's presently in whatever lighting condition you left her before pausing, so in the room with the deep red moon it's extremely red for example. Actually a really cool touch imo.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, wow, this demo is quite extensive. It's much more content than I thought. And I'm completely sold on the game. There's some stuff to polish up here or there, but the core is fantastic, and I can't wait to play the full thing :)

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can cancel the back dash animation by pressing down anytime during it so if you press down near the end of a back dash you can do another back dash instantly without having to wait the recovery animation. This is not as fast as the shield dash from SOTN but it's pretty good (especially if you're using that back dash accessory).
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that out later today.