• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Just played through the first boss... Slow and floaty is how I would say it feels in portable mode. Do you know what it (the feel) reminds me of? The Lords of Shadow game that came out on 3DS.

It's not unplayable, but it doesn't have that buttery smooth feel I expect from Igavania.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Regarding the performance of the Switch version, this was just posted in the kickstarter page (backers probably got the email):

We have been listening to the feedback regarding Switch performance. Our goal is for everyone, regardless of platform, to be able to enjoy the game and have it run smoothly. We want to live up to your, and our, expectations. Throughout the QA process we have been addressing performance issues in the game. Update 1.01 was published to Switch prior to launch to add content and improve performance. It did not accomplish as much as we had hoped and we need to do more. To address the concerns brought up by the community we are immediately shifting resources to improve performance and stability for the Switch. You can expect a number of small updates that will improve different areas of the game rather than waiting longer for one big update. We will have more details as we dive into the work.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason "Question" Ryan
Sr Community Manager – 505 Games

Oct 25, 2017
Early thoughts on the Switch version:

- I'm playing docked with a pro controller. Lag is real, very slight, but in no way affects gameplay (at least for me).
- Opening section on the ship looks worse than the other areas. Other areas look great.
- I had a weird issue where words in text boxes were missing.
- After the first boss was defeated, my controller began and maintained a very intense vibration that would not cease until after the cutscene when I returned to one of the save rooms in the ship. Very odd.
- Gameplay is highly addictive. The game world is beautiful and the game runs pretty well on Switch. If I hadn't seen the other version, I honestly don't think I would even be so critical.
- Super jazzed to hear they will be tweaking the Switch version!
How about undocked? Any input lag? Framerate good enough?

Can anyone else answer?

I've got a 40% off PSN code that expires at the end of June. Had intended to use it tonight on Bloodstained but now I'm wondering if the Switch version would be just fine for me....

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hmm, any suggestions which weapon I should craft first with my first 8 bit Coin?

Or should I save the coin?

I'be been looking at stuff for the game leading up to me buying it down the line, and I saw some interesting info about these weapons.

If you want to change which weapon you get for your coin, you can, you just need an alchemy material for breaking up weapons, so no worries!

Anyway, the Gun is pretty powerful for a fun, and can eventually become the most powerful when fully upgraded, but may not be super useful early on. There may be more 8-but coins, so save it for your second. You can buy them, but it's expensive early on.

The Laser sword is pretty powerful, and get's really powerful late game as well, it'll serve you well!

The sword that looks pointy and has the Stone element on it is pretty awesome, as it has a chance of inflicting stone on enemies, which in your case is temporary immobilization, but is actually Instant Death on enemies that get it. Most enemies are partially resistant, but it'll basically activate more often then not, so it's a super safe bet.

The last two have a bottom quarter circle forward move ( V _| > + Atk) that "unleashes" the weapon's power. For the Laser Sword, it drops a lighting bolt that strikes in front of you but hits quite far above!

The Pointy Sword instead launches a sonic boom that has a very high chance of doing the stone effect, barring enemy resistance negating it.

Both of these also make you jump back, and do tons of damage on contact, so these are both super solid weapons to go for! and if you do the technique enough you unlock it for all sword weapons, so go for it!

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Early thoughts on the Switch version:

- I'm playing docked with a pro controller. Lag is real, very slight, but in no way affects gameplay (at least for me).
- Opening section on the ship looks worse than the other areas. Other areas look great.
- I had a weird issue where words in text boxes were missing.
- After the first boss was defeated, my controller began and maintained a very intense vibration that would not cease until after the cutscene when I returned to one of the save rooms in the ship. Very odd.
- Gameplay is highly addictive. The game world is beautiful and the game runs pretty well on Switch. If I hadn't seen the other version, I honestly don't think I would even be so critical.
- Super jazzed to hear they will be tweaking the Switch version!
I got that rumble glitch too, so weird

Oct 26, 2017
I'be been looking at stuff for the game leading up to me buying it down the line, and I saw some interesting info about these weapons.

If you want to change which weapon you get for your coin, you can, you just need an alchemy material for breaking up weapons, so no worries!

Anyway, the Gun is pretty powerful for a fun, and can eventually become the most powerful when fully upgraded, but may not be super useful early on. There may be more 8-but coins, so save it for your second. You can buy them, but it's expensive early on.

The Laser sword is pretty powerful, and get's really powerful late game as well, it'll serve you well!

The sword that looks pointy and has the Stone element on it is pretty awesome, as it has a chance of inflicting stone on enemies, which in your case is temporary immobilization, but is actually Instant Death on enemies that get it. Most enemies are partially resistant, but it'll basically activate more often then not, so it's a super safe bet.

The last two have a bottom quarter circle forward move ( V _| > + Atk) that "unleashes" the weapon's power. For the Laser Sword, it drops a lighting bolt that strikes in front of you but hits quite far above!

The Pointy Sword instead launches a sonic boom that has a very high chance of doing the stone effect, barring enemy resistance negating it.

Both of these also make you jump back, and do tons of damage on contact, so these are both super solid weapons to go for! and if you do the technique enough you unlock it for all sword weapons, so go for it!

Hey thanks so very much for taking the time to post that. Helps a lot

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little question. I maxed out dagger and great sword expertise (9/9) I see they became passive skill. Does that mean I don't need to equip them anymore at all or I'm still losing something if I don't have them ?

Well I checked. You lose damage even with the passive skill on if you don't équip the shard

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
One late game boss completely tanked my framerate. I was getting about 1-3 fps. Plus I happened to glitch it so that it got stuck in the upper left hand side of the screen, so dodging attacks was way easier.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Glitch or were you low on health? The controller vibrates with intensity once you get low in health. Otherwise, I have to admit the HD Rumble of the game is pretty well done.
No it was worse than that, like a motorcycle rumble lol. It started right after the boss died and the ship crashed. Maybe killing the boss with low health triggers it or something

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I mean its not only that, but i hear input lag, downgraded textures ,effects,longer load times, 60fps to 30 with drops sucks for an IGAvania game, and we don't even know the native resolution of portable mode.

All that not counting the jank of all the versions like bugs, maybe Switch needed a delay

What is driving me nuts is stupid load points. There was a spot where I had to jump up to a room above me, jump up, 5 seconds of loading, but I missed the jump for whatever reason, right back into 5 seconds of loading, try the jump again, 5 more seconds of loading...........

Some textures really took major hits that probably shouldn't have too. The portraits look terrible, like a mid point between GC/Xbox and PS3/Xbox360 textures.

I'll add the vibration when you're low on health is the worst thing I've ever seen done with the HD rumble, its just loud and obnoxious, I turned that shit off ASAP. There were also a bunch of audio bugs for me, with weird clicks, volume bouncing around and like the audio started playing but its volume was 0 then suddenly jumped up to normal volume.

Last edited:

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Little question. I maxed out dagger and great sword expertise (9/9) I see they became passive skill. Does that mean I don't need to equip them anymore at all or I'm still losing something if I don't have them ?

Well I checked. You lose damage even with the passive skill on if you don't équip the shard

You don't lose damage exactly, they stack. You can stack both the passive version and the skill version. The skill alone for my Katana Expert (9 copies) raised it up, and adding the passive version raised it even higher.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Phew! Got the Platinum trophy on base PS4. I'm really impressed with the game and greatly enjoyed my time with it. If it didn't have so many technical problems, I'd be in absolute love with it, but given I still have quite the fondness for Bloodstained, I'm overall quite pleased with this game!

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Help guys I can't stop grinding shards.

Oooh this shard looks interesting, let's get 8 more!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing both docked and handheld without much trouble

Could someone give me a run down of what each stat does? Because I see them increase and don't notice a difference in anything

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I also play on a PS4 pro on a 4k tv. I have 25 hours logged and I too have had 2 hard crashes that were also days apart. I'd say my play sessions were about 5 hours at a time give or take. I've experienced some frame rate drops in certain rooms as well as a particular boss fight, but it's all very minor. Nothing that really hampered the game in any way but it was noticeable enough.

I have however experienced a plethora of other glitches throughout my play time, including squeaky shoes audio becoming attached to all my equipment other than the squeaky shoes, Miriam looking bald since the hair didn't load, getting stuck in the games geometry and getting tossed out into another room, and a bunch of other crazy things.

Those glitches sound hilarious, but yeah, I've had a few myself, but I can't really remember them because they didn't hamper gameplay for me so didn't stick out. Squeaky shoes sounds hilarious and annoying at the same time.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I just reached Dian Cecht Cathedral. Should I explore the other area first before going here? I think I came across a garden but skipped it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh... I beat Jackpot in the millionare's room and don't have a Jackpot shard. Is it a guaranteed drop?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So uh... I beat Jackpot in the millionare's room and don't have a Jackpot shard. Is it a guaranteed drop?
Nope. Try again!
FYI, just in case, this boss doesn't drop a shard on version 1.00 or 1.01 on the PS4 version. I doubt you're playing that version at this point but just throwing it out there.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just reached Dian Cecht Cathedral. Should I explore the other area first before going here? I think I came across a garden but skipped it.
You're in the right place. There's something blocking the way in the garden that you need to go to the Cathedral for.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the Switch version, but I don't really have a choice as I'm currently overseas without any other systems.

The resolution doesn't bother me, but the game does feel like you are moving through molasses. Not sure if that is the frame rate, input lag, or a combination of both. Of those issues, input lag tends to be the only one that is really killer to me, so I'm hoping that gets cleaned up a bit with patches.
If not, I also have the physical PS4 version from backing the game (I actually selected Vita and forgot to change), but I think I can grow accustomed to the downgrades on Switch. As much as I want to play the best version of the game, portability is realistically the only way I can put much time into playing these days.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone else answer?

I've got a 40% off PSN code that expires at the end of June. Had intended to use it tonight on Bloodstained but now I'm wondering if the Switch version would be just fine for me....
I'm playing undocked. I've seen the input lag on YouTube videos but I don't notice it. Frame rate is good for me; it's stable. Others have commented there is a boss where it chugs on ps4/xb but since switch owners just officially started playing, we won't know for a few days how the full game is.

I'm a sucker for metroidvanias so I couldn't wait but it may be good to wait a few days to let some people finish it. I think a lot of the game is reasonable for a portable system and a lot of the initial reaction are people who just won't tolerate a downgrade and may not reflect your enjoyment.

But it's playable, just is a downgrade. Which is shocking/s.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
The game is fine on Switch. I'm five hours in and it's addicting as all.

I just
met O.D. Is he voiced by the same person who voiced Alucard in SotN? Also, pretty funny that the dude in charge of the library is a vampire and also is named O.D. as in "overdue".

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game is fine on Switch. I'm five hours in and it's addicting as all.

I just
met O.D. Is he voiced by the same person who voiced Alucard in SotN? Also, pretty funny that the dude in charge of the library is a vampire and also is named O.D. as in "overdue".
Same it's fine for me so far

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like all hands on deck for fixing the switch means I'm going to be waiting longer for the fixed patch on XBO.

Might as well refund and buy on sale at this point.
"Shifting resources" is indeed worrisome. I'm okay with them fixing the switch version, but can I at least get the modes they released for PS4 on XB before doing so? Either that or give me a timeline soon.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
692850_20190625171207jejvo.png

4k/60 fps SotNxOoC Igavania is WELL worth $31.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Does this game have anti grind tech? It seems to me if you kill enemies too fast after you enter the room the chances of you getting the shard is much less.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Can anyone else answer?

I'm a couple hours into it playing undocked, and tbh I tried the pro controller input lag test (like the Twitter video posted earlier), and it's almost imperceptible to me... sure, I notice just a slight delay, but it's not something that has hindered me. Undocked with Joy-Cons feels fine to me, and I think the game looks better that way too vs. on a TV. I guess you have to ask yourself if you think you'll play the game more on PS4 or Switch. I like just sleeping/unsleeping my Switch to grind out shards, drops, etc. here and there, and it's nice to be able to do that anywhere, even though I know performance/visuals/loading are better on other platforms. The pause/black screen between areas *is* annoying, although it seems shorter if that transition is between an area and one of the single-screen torch corridors.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I need to do a melee wep only nightmare run... I feel like Im wasting cool fights

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Finished the game yesterday and I loved almost everything about it. I think the only real issue I had was the spotty performance. Game would freeze for up to a couple of seconds, usually after slaying an enemy. Didn't happen all the time but definitely frequent enough that it got annoying. Frame rate really ranked at a particular boss, too. This was all playing on the PS4 Pro.

Still loved the game though and I'll probably double dip for a switch version later down the line though I'm a little worried about the performance there especially with all the hitches I was getting on the PS4

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Does this game have anti grind tech? It seems to me if you kill enemies too fast after you enter the room the chances of you getting the shard is much less.

I always thought waiting for the pink aura around ennemies gave demultiplied shard drops because it seemed to work very well. Later in game I was not so sure because when my familiar hit the ennemies it would often make the ennemy go pink without shard rate increase.
Anyway, only by reverse engineering the game shall we find the truth.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I got as far as beating Zangetsu tonight and starting into the following area. The Switch version is holding up well for me. I also really appreciate the HD Rumble on the JoyCons kicking in when I'm at critical health.

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, there we go, thank you! So I should rename my save file to my #FCxxxx ?

No, that's not how it works. Before you load your game there should be a separate button prompt for Backer ID. Enter the number there including the #. If it worked, your details will show up in the bottom left. They aren't shown after loading the savefile.

Oct 26, 2017
505 did a piss poor job with the Switch version. First by delaying Switch version for 1 week and when it comes out it's severely compromised. Did they gave an explanation why the Switch version performs so poorly? It's not like this is a power demanding title to begin with. It's sad because this could easily be the top selling version.

A) what defines a power demanding title?
B) the Switch is much weaker than the PS4/XO, not to mention the upgraded versions. What on earth makes you think it could run the exact same game at a similar performance?