• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't gotten my copy or a tracking number yet. Has anyone in Australia actually gotten theirs yet?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Got two questions
1) Just got the bad ending. Where do I go next?
2) Where's the ability I need to swim underwater?

1) is linked to your question 2... you must go exploring ... you lack a vital piece. A NPC will say something very important later on about how to use that vital piece.
2)
a npc gave you a hint to look for an enemy looking like a spear...
there's a room partly filled with water, there's a broken bridge. The room has a water horse and swimming enemies coming to attack from below spitting water... the water enemies drop the shard .
It's the first of the 2 shards that will allow you to navigate underwater.
Don't try opening underwater chests with that one, you cannot.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you must buy the more expensive items to get that magical 60fps. Makes sense. Did you see my 90s Xtreme controller reference?
Yes, I saw it. It's not a valid comparison though. It's not marketing spin, or people preferring it because the number is bigger.
You are in the minority if you cannot tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. For most, it is a very noticeable difference - one which makes games look and play better.

It's not just gamers who notice either, because you have a lot of people complaining about the "soap opera effect" when they buy a new TV which has 120 FPS interpolation enabled and they're not used to how smooth motion looks with it. Conversely, there are also people who greatly prefer how that looks because it's so much smoother.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean that other people are making it up.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can someone help me out with this boss

doppleganger fight? She's kicking my ass and I don't know if I'm just ill equipped or if she just has that much damn MP, because she just isn't foing down.

Edit: Went to the waterways and an enemy dropped a club that skyrocketed my attack stat and I ended up steamrolling the boss. Huh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A) what defines a power demanding title?
B) the Switch is much weaker than the PS4/XO, not to mention the upgraded versions. What on earth makes you think it could run the exact same game at a similar performance?

Are you seriously suggesting an indie game like this is a hardware pusher and needs serious sacrifices in order to run on Switch? C'mon dude, this is no Witcher 3 or any other big budget AAA title where it needs to be rescaled and downgraded to run at Switch hardware. It's obvious they done a poor job handling the Switch version and can perform better than this. They need to fix it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Just finished the secret boss and everything I'll probably do with this game.

All in all it was alright as a tribute to classic castle(metroid)vanias, but it was brought down by some pretty severe flaws. The game was unacceptably ugly for no good reason, the story and it's presentation is garbage, it's got a couple really bad progression roadblock design flaws, there's wayyyyy too much low effort content crammed into the game, and most of that content is insignificant due to egregiously poor balancing.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a lot of fun with this. It really has been a while since I played an Igavania game.

Wanted to get it on Switch to kind of relive my old days of playing them on GBA/DS. I really hope the updates they're planning for it adress the general muddiness of this version. It's not as if the original game was that graphically impressive. I like the art design and environments, I just wish I could see them better like in the PC/PS4 version.

Other than that the performance hasn't been much of a problem for me besides the annoying slowdown that can happen in the main hub when you get done taking to people. It doesn't even seem like there's much input lag as some had stated (unless they were playing an older build). If it the general look doesn't get fixed I may have to buy this again on PS4, even though I'd like Switch to be my main version.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the secret boss and everything I'll probably do with this game.

All in all it was alright as a tribute to classic castle(metroid)vanias, but it was brought down by some pretty severe flaws. The game was unacceptably ugly for no good reason, the story and it's presentation is garbage, it's got a couple really bad progression roadblock design flaws, there's wayyyyy too much low effort content crammed into the game, and most of that content is insignificant due to egregiously poor balancing.

i mean, "garbage story" and "poor balancing" are basically igavania standards

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would doing this game in 2D (i.e. sprites) have been more expensive or difficult than 3D? I haven't followed the Kickstarter, but I assume they justified their choice at some point. I do think I read somewhere that 3D can be a lot cheaper. It's just that Dust: An Elysian Tale, Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge and many others managed to do it independently and with really small teams. I would think it should've been possible here, and it would've supported more platforms with less compromises in terms of fidelity. For platformers it also just tends to play better, because visual cues are clearer.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would doing this game in 2D (i.e. sprites) have been more expensive or difficult than 3D? I haven't followed the Kickstarter, but I assume they justified their choice at some point. I do think I read somewhere that 3D can be a lot cheaper. It's just that Dust: An Elysian Tale, Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge and many others managed to do it independently and with really small teams. I would think it should've been possible here, and it would've supported more platforms with less compromises in terms of fidelity. For platformers it also just tends to play better, because visual cues are clearer.

IGA even back in the GBA era was talking about how difficult it was to get sprite artists for the Castlevania games as less and less people had experience with it as everyone was moving on to 3D models. Given the high enemy count in Bloodstained I imagine making them as 2D sprites would have been a lot more challenging and would have made the game take longer.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah the standard talking point is '3D is easier and cheaper today', but the likes of Iconoclasts, Wonder Boy 3 Remake and Monster Boy are all absolutely beautiful 2D done by much smaller teams. Also hybrid/cell shaded stuff like the last Shantae.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Can someone help me out with this boss

doppleganger fight? She's kicking my ass and I don't know if I'm just ill equipped or if she just has that much damn MP, because she just isn't foing down.

Edit: Went to the waterways and an enemy dropped a club that skyrocketed my attack stat and I ended up steamrolling the boss. Huh.

Keep your distance and punish the attacks that leave her open. The flame attack is badly designed though, avoiding that is pure RNG.
Edit: I didn't notice the edit :P

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kinda weird how xbox owners are playing a different game then the rest of us. the 1.01 patch had massive advantage if terms of broken ablities. Alkahest also costs 50 and not 800 a piece.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

High resolution 2D is very expensive if you want the sheer level of details a castlevania game calls for and if you don't want to leave things in the hands of AI... I think 3D is less expensive for artists because because at that level of fidelity with that many screens to produce (tilesets to populate 1570 -2465 sotn equivalent- screens), i think they would render in 3D anyway before redrawing over it in their workflow.

They could have done a retro (psx grade) version i think, with 7 environment artists, 2 sotn-equivalent screens worth of assets per week average, 45 weeks a year, that's 630 screens per year.
4 years and the count is good (2520 screens ;) ).
$7K/month for 7 artists for 4 years : $2.352.000 for the environment graphics.

Cut in half if you do the "inverted castle" trick, save even more by going to lesser costs countries.

I may be off by some metrics, but in my mind it is expensive.
I don't mean to be offensive to people who might think i am way wrong, please bear with me.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
High resolution 2D is very expensive if you want the sheer level of details a castlevania game calls for and if you don't want to leave things in the hands of AI... I think 3D is less expensive for artists because because at that level of fidelity with that many screens to produce (tilesets to populate 1570 -2465 sotn equivalent- screens), i think they would render in 3D anyway before redrawing over it in their workflow.

They could have done a retro (psx grade) version i think, with 7 environment artists, 2 sotn-equivalent screens worth of assets per week average, 45 weeks a year, that's 630 screens per year.
4 years and the count is good (2520 screens ;) ).
$7K/month for 7 artists for 4 years : $2.352.000 for the environment graphics.

Cut in half if you do the "inverted castle" trick, save even more by going to lesser costs countries.

I may be off by some metrics, but in my mind it is expensive.
I don't mean to be offensive to people who might think i am way wrong, please bear with me.
Explain how Iconoclasts, Monster Boy and Wonder Boy 3 remake did it then? Monster Boy in particular is very busy and detailed.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously suggesting an indie game like this is a hardware pusher and needs serious sacrifices in order to run on Switch? C'mon dude, this is no Witcher 3 or any other big budget AAA title where it needs to be rescaled and downgraded to run at Switch hardware. It's obvious they done a poor job handling the Switch version and can perform better than this. They need to fix it.

Your post is basically as clueless as someone saying "Switch can run BOTW how can it not run this properly?!" not taking into account the engine being used.

UE4 has a history of being demanding on Switch, indie title or not, no matter how you believe a game shouldn't ask much ressources from a system because it's 'indie'. Check the list of UE4 games on Switch. From memory, only Yoshi runs at a solid 60, and that's with heavy sacrifices resolution-wise and this is all 1st party, so imagine dealing with this as a small studio.

I mean, the game can be better optimized than this, but don't expect too much outside of perhaps suppressing the input delay and ironing out crashes.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Explain how Iconoclasts, Monster Boy and Wonder Boy 3 remake did it then? Monster Boy in particular is very busy and detailed.
The dev teams alone could answer this question, i don't know their environments budget, but already they are not the same visual style at all, and that alone has a huge time/cost effect.

Try do draw a screen packed with details like a high density irem game (say, in the hunt), then try to draw a Parodius screen still very detailed but less dense in details. One takes at least triple the time than the other, by effect of style choice, similar pixel density but different details density.

Maybe they had less screens to create as well...
By the way, Monster boy had a staff of around 20 for CG and color (don't know how many man/hours), and the staff was paid less than what i gave (employment market on production location).

It's a strategy and a choice.
The team could have gone dracula-kun style, but i don't think it would have appealed to people as much during the campaign pitch.

All in all i am happy with what i got even if i would have preferred 2D.

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah the standard talking point is '3D is easier and cheaper today', but the likes of Iconoclasts, Wonder Boy 3 Remake and Monster Boy are all absolutely beautiful 2D done by much smaller teams. Also hybrid/cell shaded stuff like the last Shantae.

As others have pointed out this is a totally different art style and a much bigger game size in terms of scale and variety of enemies, but also the move to 3D is future-proofing so Iga can up-res and re-use assets in future games, which is something Castlevanias has always done.

Oct 25, 2017

Volume of enemies and content, really. Igavanias have pretty crazy enemy counts in general.

People never seem to account for volume when comparing detail of spritework, which is why 2D games have the perception of being "cheaper" and worth less. People aren't pissing and moaning relentlessly about the price here, but they sure would be if it were sprite-based. Even if they can do equivalent work for the same money, 3D is unfortunately the more financially viable solution. Something like Octopath Traveler has 10s of thousands of frames of animation thanks to the 8 characters * jobs system, and being able to recruit/fight everyone in town, and is generally larger than most of the games it looks like, but people complained, constantly, for months on end, that they dared charge the same price as other console RPGs (of smaller scopes).

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
I wanted to get it tomorrow on Switch for my holidays - should I wait or is it playable? (not gonna have internet access for any updates)

ps: otherwise I might go with Slay the Spire...

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to get it tomorrow on Switch for my holidays - should I wait or is it playable? (not gonna have internet access for any updates)

Patches are going to be waaaaay off. There were about two weeks of waiting between Slay the Spire patch's submission and getting pushed to live, and Slay the Spire needed that patch way, way more than Bloodstained needs one. And Slay the Spire's patch was submitted day one or earlier, because they knew it was fucked. They actually need to do the fixing part for BS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ps: otherwise I might go with Slay the Spire...
You'll need to update to at least 1.01 or else the eventual update will fuck up your save file. It will mix open/closed chests if you update from 1.00 to 1.01 in the middle of a save.

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Patches are going to be waaaaay off. There were about two weeks of waiting between Slay the Spire patch's submission and getting pushed to live, and Slay the Spire needed that patch way, way more than Bloodstained needs one.
You'll need to update to at least 1.01 or else the eventual update will fuck up your save file. It will mix open/closed chests if you update from 1.00 to 1.01 in the middle of a save.

Thanks guys! So instant update to 1.01 and I should be good to go. At least with the current version.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I guess I'm ready to ask for some help. I got the bad ending, and roughly knew what I had to do using the in-game clues. Unfortunately, I've hit a wall now, and I'm just wandering aimlessly.
So I knew from one of the Zengetsu hints to hunt down the blood lady. I found her and took her down (and hope this is where the game's difficulty peaks). Then I used her ability on the blood fountain, which was nicely foreshadowed and integrated naturally. Good stuff so far. But then I reached the underground area and all it does it loop back around to the well on the other side of the map. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I'm guessing I need to find a way to sink in the water, like in some Castlevania games, but I've not encountered the right boss or item to do that yet.
A hint to help me on my way would be welcome.

The dev teams alone could answer this question, i don't know their environments budget, but already they are not the same visual style at all, and that alone has a huge time/cost effect.

Try do draw a screen packed with details like a high density irem game (say, in the hunt), then try to draw a Parodius screen still very detailed but less dense in details. One takes at least triple the time than the other, by effect of style choice, similar pixel density but different details density.

Maybe they had less screens to create as well...
By the way, Monster boy had a staff of around 20 for CG and color (don't know how many man/hours), and the staff was paid less than what i gave (employment market on production location).

It's a strategy and a choice.
The team could have gone dracula-kun style, but i don't think it would have appealed to people as much during the campaign pitch.

All in all i am happy with what i got even if i would have preferred 2D.
This is unfortunately accurate. The listed games can afford to play it looser because of their art styles. All of 'em can use large shapes, skimp on details, and can recycle liberally because the games have simple lighting. Cartoony art styles have a level of abstraction built-in. It wouldn't work as well if you made something more serious and moody looking, which is what people would expect of a Castlevania-esque title. Lighting and proportions would become more important. 2D scales very poorly unfortunately, and that's not even talking about the animation side of it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Fangamer are so full of shit. They finally shipped my copy this afternoon after two weeks of telling me they sent it.

Delays I can deal with, I just loathe this kind of incompetent cowardice.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! So instant update to 1.01 and I should be good to go. At least with the current version.

I would recommend Slay the Spire over this at the moment. It is cheaper, probably has more playtime, is closer to a "final" state (it works with only slight slowdown and hangs at times), and I think is a clear GOTY candidate for me (about ~40+ hours in the last three weeks. Even when it broke and soft-corrupted my main save file before the patch, I switched profiles and started over so I could keep playing).

id.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question. My 8-bit weapon choice was the Hakari, but I practically never use it. My main weapon has been the Rhava Bural.

I mastered the Hakari's weapon skill (quarter-circle forward attack) and now all swords(and even clubs) can use this attack... except Rhava Bural, even though it's listed as a sword.

Anyone know why that seems to be the only sword that doesn't get this weapon skill when all the other ones did?

Rick Sanchez

Oct 27, 2017
UJLCjbO.jpg

lol I thought they announced bloodstained 2

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Lol at "How hard is this Bloodstained Jump?" for the chest you're supposed to get after Invert which is useless any earlier because of the materials required for the patterns.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Got the platinum trophy on a hard mode playthrough. Fuck this game was good, I might like it more than any of the Iga-vania games, which was an insane prospect to think about before the release of this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. My 8-bit weapon choice was the Hakari, but I practically never use it. My main weapon has been the Rhava Bural.

I mastered the Hakari's weapon skill (quarter-circle forward attack) and now all swords(and even clubs) can use this attack... except Rhava Bural, even though it's listed as a sword.

Anyone know why that seems to be the only sword that doesn't get this weapon skill when all the other ones did?

It's probably because that weapon doesn't really have a normal attack (like you can freely run and attack with no recovery). I guess they filter it as a sword for the benefit of having sword shards apply to it, but the weapon itself is basically a unique category.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Anyone that unironically posts "This game is a joke on normal" needs to be slapped.
In sotn, at end game you can basically face tank anything but drac and galamoth, and they're both still pushovers anyway because power of mist.
And you sure as FUCK can't facetank in this game. Now Gremory has killed me 4 times, and it's irritating me, because I know that I'm probably gonna get booted into the bael battle straight after, die, and have to face gremory on every attempt

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
5B52872BE1D3E9D5978F2BA61DDC755F75812B18

With a mod i got ultra wide screen set up for this game. Amazing! I'm not trying to make ultra wide screen spoil my enjoyment for games, but sometimes its hard going back to wide screen.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Anyone that unironically posts "This game is a joke on normal" needs to be slapped.
In sotn, at end game you can basically face tank anything but drac and galamoth, and they're both still pushovers anyway because power of mist.
And you sure as FUCK can't facetank in this game. Now Gremory has killed me 4 times, and it's irritating me, because I know that I'm probably gonna get booted into the bael battle straight after, die, and have to face gremory on every attempt

I havent even played the game yet but I played SOTN a lot but I think the fact that SOTN has the same flaw doesn't make it anymore excusable for ROTN to have it too.
If anything it just makes it worse, since they are doing the same mistake again.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I saw a post on social media talk about being screwed if you start playing the game pre-patch and then update. Does anyone know what the point of no return (the glitched chests) is?

I've only ventured a little ways into the castle, but haven't faced any bosses outside of the opening stage one (from the demo).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a post on social media talk about being screwed if you start playing the game pre-patch and then update. Does anyone know what the point of no return (the glitched chests) is?

I've only ventured a little ways into the castle, but haven't faced any bosses outside of the opening stage one (from the demo).
I would say just restart to be sure. I did the same thing and the second time I played it I cameback to where I was really quickly.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I was going to play this handheld mode on my Switch. Should I exchange it for another platform?