• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is this game too difficult? Thinking of buying it but if I won't be able to beat it I don't wanna
I just wanted to chime in, as I completely disagree with some people claiming that the game is too easy on normal. A friend of mine who's really into the Castlevania games in the style of SotN was on the verge of quitting the game and returning it because he was having so much trouble with the second boss battle. There are some spikes in difficulty at times that're really uncalled for. That said, I think the game's easier than Order of Ecclesia on normal, though the bosses in Bloodstained aren't as pattern-heavy as the bosses in Order of Ecclesia.

I don't think the difficulty is even potentially the biggest problem for someone who's new to the game, though. I'd actually say that the game is a chore to play the first time around and without some serious shard-grinding. Underwater segments in particular are absolute trash, and you have to get three separate shards (and level one of those up considerably) to actually get the most out of underwater exploration. I do think the game's worth playing through, just so you can give it another go with New Game + to focus on how great the combat feels.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing tonight. Oh man I love it! I'm just a bit beyond the starting area but I'm having a blast. Should I worry early on about crafting weapons or just find them as I go?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I legit think endgame Miriam is probably the most satisfying Igavania protagonist to control.
Artplay should make a Sonic game. Accelerator is just too much fun.

I started playing tonight. Oh man I love it! I'm just a bit beyond the starting area but I'm having a blast. Should I worry early on about crafting weapons or just find them as I go?
Craft. Some of the best weapons can only be attained by crafting. Many of them use found weapons as materials.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Wow, so basically get welcome company and the dullahan head leveled up and make your character feel like an endgame character in another metroidvania in the early game.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finally platinumed it. ~32 hours. All everything and all yellow shards converted to passives.

I can't wait for more content to dig into.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Crafting is neat, but I still prefer how it was done in Curse of Darkness, especially in conjunction with the steal mechanic. I was so excited when I found a yellow shard that claimed to allow me to steal items from enemies, but that just turned out to be another random roll before their death, rather than anything resembling the timing and condition-based mechanic from CoD. Repeat with the bandit blade.

And as for the crafting, having to return to Johannes is a drag when you find something new out in the field, and knowing exactly what you're getting is a less exciting than the mystery you had in Curse of Darkness. I loved getting a new material and seeing how many new items I could create while also not knowing what any of them would turn out to be. Sure it led to disappointment at times, but there's the risk, and there's the excitement.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
What is the word on the best familiar? I've sticked to the Silver Knight but haven't really tried more except a fairy which seemed weak but healed me with items.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have all trophies except for the item list and I'm kinda dreading it. Any hints or recommendations? Fucking black pepper and apples...
Farm money to buy things to disassemble them for the material you need. Better than running all over the map trying for random drops. Only hunt for the material you can't get from disassembling things yet.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Farm money to buy things to disassemble them for the material you need. Better than running all over the map trying for random drops. Only hunt for the material you can't get from disassembling things yet.

Yeah, this.

And for a lot of the cooking materials that are harder to find (black pepper, soy sauce) just farm blue chests in particular areas and you'll get what you need relatively easily.

There are a few items that you absolutely will not find on your own (I'm looking at you, Valkryrie Sword) so don't be afraid to use a guide to fill in gaps.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017

Right, I've more or less been using that tactic for some recipes. What's the best gold farming method? By gold you mean money, not the item itself right? Is it the Slots enemy which can randomly give 10,000G?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the best sonic game in decades!

No lies detected. Couldn't agree more

So I realised the "final" achievement doesn't unlock on the XB1 and is bugged, really annoying. On the plus side, I finished the game around level 70 and finding those final materials and items were a breeze with Rhava Valar. Words of Wisdom became my go to passive shard for boss fights, works really well with void ray and toxic storm.

For anyone looking to farm gold, I'd suggest to do it after you
fight Valefar, who uses your gold amount for hp. So unless you want a potentially long fight, do it after you move from Behemoth area

What is the word on the best familiar? I've sticked to the Silver Knight but haven't really tried more except a fairy which seemed weak but healed me with items.

Best familiar in the game is Dulhammer when completely levelled, 5 heads floating around you and they can hit for a lot of damage. Very good during boss fights. They can be even more OP when you have a fully maxed LUCK shard, as the critical hits will proc more often.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Best familiar in the game is Dulhammer when completely levelled, 5 heads floating around you and they can hit for a lot of damage. Very good during boss fights. They can be even more OP when you have a fully maxed LUCK shard, as the critical hits will proc more often.

By leveled you mean, level (exp) or rank (manual upgrades)? I started using it but it seems weak so far...

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
By leveled you mean, level (exp) or rank (manual upgrades)? I started using it but it seems weak so far...

Familiars are weird in that their effectiveness is spread between their grade, rank and the levels they gain when you gain exp.

Dullihammer Heads multiply into 5 concurrent heads when you get their Grade so make sure to just wear your lucky stuff and hit a bunch where they spawn, and you will eventually max their shard's grade out, and get five of those suckers protecting you.

If you have the quest reward that pulls the screen out, it expands their tracking range too, since they send out to their target as long as they're on screen.

Oct 27, 2017
How do I beat flying or running enemies? As soon as they start moving I press the attack button but Miriam is too slow and she always gets hit. This is really frustrating and it prevents me from progressing.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
How do I beat flying or running enemies? As soon as they start moving I press the attack button but Miriam is too slow and she always gets hit. This is really frustrating and it prevents me from progressing.
You have a few different options:
  • Compensate for your slow weapon attack speed by changing how you attack (such as by jumping into and leading attacks with great swords).
  • Switch to a weapon type that facilitates fast attacks.
  • Use passive ability shards to increase the attack speed for your preferred weapon type(s).
  • Use attack shards (especially directional shards) to compensate for your slow weapon attack speed.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Input lag on the Switch version is kind of a bitch, especially if you're using a pro controller. It makes these types of enemies particularly difficult. The above advice is good, but on Switch you have to anticipate your next move a little bit more and adjust your timing.

For enemies like bats, I found the whip to be pretty good for hitting them b/c the range is relatively long and it hits in a big arc.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Familiars are weird in that their effectiveness is spread between their grade, rank and the levels they gain when you gain exp.

Dullihammer Heads multiply into 5 concurrent heads when you get their Grade so make sure to just wear your lucky stuff and hit a bunch where they spawn, and you will eventually max their shard's grade out, and get five of those suckers protecting you.

If you have the quest reward that pulls the screen out, it expands their tracking range too, since they send out to their target as long as they're on screen.

That did it. Is the max grade 9?

Oct 27, 2017
Input lag on the Switch version is kind of a bitch, especially if you're using a pro controller. It makes these types of enemies particularly difficult. The above advice is good, but on Switch you have to anticipate your next move a little bit more and adjust your timing.

For enemies like bats, I found the whip to be pretty good for hitting them b/c the range is relatively long and it hits in a big arc.
Will the input lag be patched?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
That did it. Is the max grade 9?

Yup!

Normally, you expand functionality of your shards with Ranks built up by alchemy, so don't worry about grinding max (9) grade on all your shards! Try heading back to Johannesburg once in a while to see what you might need to make your favorite shards more powerful!

Usually for Enhancing shards' rank, it's the same easy material for the first three (2-4), then a slightly to not so slightly trickier material for the next three (5-7) then a hard or expensive to get material(s) for the last two (8-9)

Especially remember that maxing out the rank, not grade, of your passive shards creates a skill shard that can be turned on or off whenever, so if you're going to grind out the grade of any kind of shard, try to do so with passive shards you are planning to max the rank of too! That way you'll always have them at their most powerful without having to equip them to your passive slot!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just got
Invert
I cleared up some chest but not exactly sure where to go

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah all combined, obviously they'll be a bit weak out of the gate but they get much stronger. Max out the grade to get all 5 heads too, really easy to farm them in the cathedral. Then rank up the shard with whatever materials.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used my backer ID on my Switch version. What the hell does it do???

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
For completionists who want to level to max (lvl 99), I found the best place to do this was a long hallway in the final area which has a demon, cannon and axe thrower all neatly lined up. Killing them all gets you thousands of exp. I mostly just spammed Ruinous Rood to kill them all at once.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Finally got the platinum! I had to start a new game plus to get the fish recipe book since that was the only item on my playthrough that was glitched with the chest bug.

D-0G4ZeWkAEvGlk

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Finished it last night. It was fine in the end. Grinding was somewhat enjoyable (I think), and becoming Overpowered was fun in the end. I can see doing fast runs being a thing.

In the end, was it really WOW for a 2019 game? Nah, not so much. CV:SOTN even stands on it's own higher then this, decades before. Good effort in the end.

I give it a GOOD out of 10.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Should I hold my breath for the Xbox patch dropping this weekend? I defeated Bloodless yesterday, thankfully backtracked to save, then pushed through for good chunk without running into a save room and the game crashed. This, the chest bug, and the fact the game restarts when I put the Xbox to sleep is really weighing on me. I'm not as relaxed when I play which is not something I'm used with console indie games.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Caught the Switch version at my Walmart for $20. I've heard terrible things about this version so I hope it's worth it

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got the bad ending. About 50% map completion.

I'm kinda disappointed in the whole lab thing. There's a ton of buildup with getting the credentials from O.D., getting the silver bromide for the photograph, and then riding the train and fighting the boss as a level in and of itself, and then it's... like a dozen rooms? Kind of a letdown.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So I'm a few bosses in and I am really liking this game. Miriam is an awesome character and the combat and exploration have both been everything I would want in a SotN follow up.

My only complaint so far is that none of the music stands out at all. It vaguely sounds SotN-ish, but just nothing distinctive or memorable in the first impression in the same way that SotN tracks were.