• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
gVFGV6h.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android
Release Date:
June 18th, 2019​
June 25th, 2019 (Switch)​
December 3rd 2020 (iOS/Android)​
Genre: Exploratory Platformer
Price: $39.99 USD
Player(s): 1 (At launch)
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer: ArtPlay (with the assistance of Wayforward and Inti Creates)
Publisher: 505Games
Size: ~10GB

fw1qmHs.png

What is Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
is a spiritual successor to the "Igavania" era of the Castlevania series which included titles like Symphony of the Night and Dawn of Sorrow. In Bloodstained you take control of Miriam as you explore a seamless environment, defeating creatures and finding new abilities to access new areas of the map.

How does character progression work?
As you defeat monsters Miriam will gain experience which will lead to her leveling up and increasing her base stats. There is also a chance that a monster will drop a "shard" which will grant Miriam the ability to control that creature's power for herself. You are also able to find and purchase new equipment such as weapons and armor which can change the appearance of Miriam as well.

So this is a sequel to Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon?
No. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was a retro-styled interpretation of elements featured in Ritual of the Night. The games do not take place in the same universe and, narratively, do not impact each other.

How long is the game?
As with other games of this type your playtime can vary wildly but we've seen a ballpark of 15-20 hours from early impressions.

How does the game run on console?
Switch (Docked): *720p+ @ 30fps
Switch (Handheld): 720p @ 30fps
Xbox One: 900p @ 60fps
Xbox One X: 4k @ 60fps
PS4: 1080p @ 60fps
PS4 Pro: **1080p @ 60fps

*Dynamic, so the game will run at a higher resolution than 720p when there are resources available.
**Reconstruction is used to give the impression of a higher resolution than 1080p.

Ultrawide support on PC?
No, but there's a mod on PC to display rooms in that aspect ratio (when the design permits).

Refresh rates higher than 60 on PC?
Yes. You have to disable to "framerate smoothing" option to enable it.

I kickstarted this game, where is it?
Codes will be sent out prior to release (once generated by the platform holders) and physical copies of the game are being mailed out now (look for an email with the subject line "Shipping Confirmation: Order KICKBLOODSTAINED" for your tracking info).

The PC physical release will not launch until the extra stretch-goal content is released, but those backers will get a digital code to let them play the game until then.

There were a large amount of stretch-goals reached during the kickstarter campaign. How will those release?
There is some content that will be included in the "Day 1" product and the rest will be released over time in the future as free updates.

Released
Nightmare Mode
New Game Plus
8-bit retro level
Cheat codes

Upcoming
Two additional playable characters
Local and online multiplayer for certain co-op and vs. modes
Roguelike mode
Chaos mode
Classic mode
Boss Revenge mode

Trophies/Achievements?
https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Bloodstained-Ritual-of-the-Night/achievements

What about the kickstarter-exclusive DLC?
This DLC (IGA boss fight) will be released after the game launches and, after the results of a kickstarter poll, will be sold to non-backers (or those who backed below the DLC-tier) for $9.99 USD at that time.

Paid DLC Release plans:
June 18, 2019 on PC (Steam & GoG)
June 28, 2019 on Switch
July 3, 2019 on Playstation 4 and Xbox One

slwaXxP.png

ss_03b1cb75c142b6e60601c0d5fdb44b12755976c5.600x338.jpg
ss_5bc398ba88d79913497facc6b895d4286c43aa29.600x338.jpg

ss_1abc39000a51740bb113a336047e6cfbfc3786c0.600x338.jpg
ss_b6395f6f0a5fd2aba444bfea1a3b63d3e1ba4621.600x338.jpg

fH0Yzjo.png

Metacritic - 84 (PS4)

Destructoid - 8/10
Bloodstained is occasionally frustrating, refreshingly open, and as promised, wholly Castlevania. Hopefully some polish is on the way for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night as to not alienate folks who are new to the genre, but as any Castlevania fan knows, partial jank comes with the territory.

IGN 8.8/10
The wait was worth it. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a whole new castle to crash full of unexpected monsters and mysteries in the vein of classic Castlevania.

Game Informer 8.5/10
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night's journey is familiar, but the way it iterates and builds on that familiarity helps distinguish it from its lineage. Its combat, RPG elements, and enticing exploration intertwine seamlessly, and had me obsessively scouring every nook and cranny of a gigantic map for hours, even after I'd defeated the last boss. I enjoyed finally returning to this haunted castle, even if it belongs to a new master.

OMwoXk0.png

Last edited:

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OT. I've been intrigued by this game (and it's retro counterpart) for a while but I haven't yet bought either.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Mine will be here Monday, according to the tracking. I really hope it's good.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Woot, we've finally made it! Backed it what seems like forever ago. Waiting for my PS4 code since the Switch physical version I got is delayed

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for my backed copy to finally ship. Got a tracking number, but hasn't been given to USPS yet.

Love the way the game has looked. Loved the demo from years ago. Really looking forward to this!

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm terrible at this game, don't feel like I have a chance of avoiding attacks. I guess it doesn't help that I never played more than a few mins of SotN and haven't played a Castlevania game since Dawn of Sorrows

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know about the physical PC stuff getting delayed. Should we get codes on release day or sooner?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's great. Waiting for my backer code. Should have stayed with PC version :( Went with switch when Curse released and now I'm stuck with a crappy version.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nice OT, mine shipped yesterday and should be coming Monday. Can't wait to finally play it.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm hoping that I get my Xbox One key promptly. I recall the Xbox One keys for Curse of the Moon being delayed on Xbox One.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's been so long since I backed this. Really looking forward to finally playing it.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they send Steam keys out on Monday. Should get my PS4 copy Monday or Tuesday too. Excited to finally play this!

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy it on switch. But its kind a stupid that it didnt release on the same date (digital) but there is enough other things to play. I can wait.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Definitely hype for this. Feels like forever ago that I backed this, I'm stoked to finally get in on this! Gonna have to double-dip since we couldn't change platforms after Switch specs were announced though. I'm never playing a 2/2.5D platformer at 30fps.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how much better the game is looking right now.

That damn parry input command... Jesus, this game will be the end of me.

I'll probably start in Nightmare mode, but the game looks hard even outside this mode.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
*itsbeen84yearsgif*

Omg I can't wait to dig into this. I can't believe Order of Ecclesia was 11 years ago.

So ready to get absorbed into an IGAvania again. I hope it sells well!

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
My copy shipped yesterday for a Monday delivery. My hype is sky high, and what limited impressions i've seen looked pretty positive. I've been avoiding any streams or such though, want to walk into the game blind.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm a digital beta backer and was excited to see "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" on my Steam next to the beta demo, downloaded it... only to find it was the E3 demo!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I backed this at the digital level rather than the physical level, but oh well. I'm still gonna play it.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
This game runs on Unity right? Is that typically locked to 60fps or can we perhaps expect 144hz support?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It feels like forever ago I backed this game, and it's finally here! Woot! My PS4 copy should arrive Monday, according to my tracking information, which is nice, so I'm excited to be able to dive into the first console Iga game in ages!

I feel like I should finish my stream of SOTN before it arrives. Not like I haven't beaten dozens and dozens of times before, but I know I'll be engrossed in Bloodstained, and will never finish my SOTN stream once I have my copy. XD