• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone figured out what a certain room is for? I'm at 99.80% map completion and I'm wondering if there's some secret passage I'm missing from this room.

Celeste's Room

I have the map fully done. Did you check this area:

Teleport to Hall of Termination. Exit that room and go up to the ceiling and break it. Should reveal a passage (unless you already got that)

I was stuck around that same percentage.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Tried all of the weapons, saldy Spears kinda suck. While decent fast and have a bit of range, they have a tiny hitbox and a deadzone.
Rapier's are basically way better Spears, since they have similar range but attack like twice as fast and have no dead zone.

Due to the sheer hitbox, I like Greatswords the most so far. Slow, but heavy damage (although lower DPS compared to Rapiers) but they hit everything. No more pesky bats dodging everything. Huge hit stun too.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having problems playing with a controller on Steam?

My Dual Shock 4 is not being detected but working fine on Monster Hunter World.

It works fine in steam for me. All I've done for it is install the drivers with the psnow thing and then set it up on steam big picture. No extra programs and never launched the psnow program. Don't even know if the drivers part is required, just saying what I have done to a recently fresh install of windows.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
Played almost 2 hours last night. Man this game is so good. The gameplay and music ended up being better than I expected it to be. I can't wait to play more tonight.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Backing a game with a crowdfunding campaign is not the same thing as a pre order. There is no guarantee pledged funds gains you the incentive of owning the game. It's a donation in which is used for development funds. There IS a difference.

You can pre-order any game near release that already has publisher funding as opposed to crowdfunding which without the game may not actually get made because it is reliant of external funding for it's development.

I'm happy for creators that they've found new ways to fund their projects. I just personally see no gain to being a part of the process. If it comes out, and it's wonderful, great. If not, there's plenty of content to consume already. I assume no risk and I can buy something useful with my money today.

The game looks fun and I'll probably check it out sometime soon!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up after hearing positive impressions and watching a streamer whose opinion I trust on Igavania games. Really enjoying it so far.
The game is running at ~90 FPS at 5160x2160 here with a GTX 1070, which is nice. I am getting occasional stutters that seem to be related to streaming when running around the map though (NVMe SSD - so not a disk issue).
Disappointed that there's no native 21:9 support, as that probably means waiting for a modified executable every patch.

Ugh this game is so sick. I just wish I could stop the audio crackling, it's bugging me a lot. I think I mitigated it a little by turning off framerate smoothing and turning on reduce input lag... maybe? I dunno. Hoping that day 1 patch comes soon...
Some games have issues outputting audio if your device is set to anything other than 48kHz. You could check that in Windows' sound device properties (via the old Control Panel).

Anyone having problems playing with a controller on Steam?
My Dual Shock 4 is not being detected but working fine on Monster Hunter World.
Have you enabled Steam Input for your controller? (you should)

Don't even know if the drivers part is required, just saying what I have done to a recently fresh install of windows.
You don't need to install any drivers.

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Post first boss, missed the alchemy room save to the right. Mucho backtracking now.

Ps4, still no problems besides mebbe two studders.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to wait for the Switch since I want to play it in handheld. Hopefully it will perform reasonably ok there. I ain't expecting too much since I'm used to 30fps handheld games after all.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Any performance impressions on Base PS4? Dunno wether to pull the trigger on it there or wait for a stable 30fps Switch version?

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up after hearing positive impressions and watching a streamer whose opinion I trust on Igavania games. Really enjoying it so far.
The game is running at ~90 FPS at 5160x2160 here with a GTX 1070, which is nice. I seem to be getting occasional stutters that seem to be related to streaming when running around the map though.
Disappointed that there's no native 21:9 support, as that probably means waiting for a modified executable every patch.

EDIT: nvm, didn't read correctly.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with rank and grade on souls? Grade goes up by collecting multiples, I assume rank goes up via crafting?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, done for today, played almost 3 hours. Really fun game, it really captures the soul of the Igavania games in the PS1/DS era, I'm perfectly fine with the 3d models, in fact I prefer the 3d models instead of sprites. There are some areas that are beautiful in the game (also weird clipping bug with the red moon in an certain area). The controls are pretty responsive and satisfying. Only thing that I have to complain is that so far not much notable soundtracks, but hopefully that will change in the later part of the game.

Performance wise, I'm playing on PC with an 970 and an i5-8400, running 60fps on Epic 1080p, no complaints at all, everything is really smooth.

Question, is the Condition status in the menu related to that thing about the characters saying about having too many shards and possessing? I don't know what else that "Condition" status is for.

Last edited:

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with rank and grade on souls? Grade goes up by collecting multiples, I assume rank goes up via crafting?

Yup, Rank goes up with crafting.

Question, is the Condition status in the menu related to that thing about the characters saying about having too many shards and possessing? I don't know what else that "Condition" status is for.

Shows if you have a status effect. For example, if you're poisoned.

The drop rates of enemies are definitely bugged, btw. Just had one drop an item, even though the drop rate says 0.00%, LOL.

I came across 2 enemies that dropped an item, yet, it doesn't show up on the list.

Hoping the day 1 patch fixes that.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm about halfway through and yeah, it's such a great game. There's some jank here and there but it's not a big issue overall.

It feels pretty weird to play an Igavania game without any sprite from Rondo of Blood though, it was always fun to see how they would recycle enemies but alas.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played the game, a single hour passed in a blink. I'm very pleased. It really seems a worthy sequel to Igavanias. My worst fear was the 3d graphics, but surprisingly the gameplay is akin of the 2d games. Music, variety of weapons.... It will be a treat!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to wait for the Switch since I want to play it in handheld. Hopefully it will perform reasonably ok there. I ain't expecting too much since I'm used to 30fps handheld games after all.
I'd be hard pressed to see this game have any sort of significant performance issues, to be honest. I'm played at 5k maxed out ob PC and haven't seen a single dropped frame, and I'm hitting at least 60fps.

Is it worth getting on PC if I have the aging 970 + 2500k combo or would I be better off with a PS4 Pro?
I'm at 5k60 on max with a R5 2600x and a GTX1080, and considering how effortless it seems, I'm sure a 970 and your i5 would be fine.

Nov 13, 2017
Was the Silver Bromide moved? I just loaded up a save just before the boss to make a guide, and the chest is already opened. I do not have the silver bromide in my inventory. I wonder if something happened from patching the save?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
havent played many metroidvanias - how accessible is this?
If you can jump and hit things a lot of times until they die, it's pretty acessible. Hell, this one even has a mini-map toggle on the screen. The only Metroidvania/Pathfinder game I've played with a map can be pinned to the screen is Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Nov 13, 2017
I have the map fully done. Did you check this area:

Teleport to Hall of Termination. Exit that room and go up to the ceiling and break it. Should reveal a passage (unless you already got that)

I was stuck around that same percentage.

Yea I got that, as well as the secret room after that. Any chance you could take a picture of your map?

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the weapons you can get with then coin do anything cool or unique? Been trying some out, but not found much. They sound and look cool!

Noticed the whip was causing enemies to drop money maybe?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm really surprised by how good this turned out. Only played an hour or so so far but it really feels like an old school Igavania game.

I can't rightly judge it with how little I've played, but it's definitely got the potential to be up there with Symphony of the Night, the Sorrow games, and Portrait of Ruin, which are my personal favorite Castlevanias.

The voice acting is really good too, although I'm playing in Japanese so I don't know what the English sounds like.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
For you PC folks out there, I'm running the game on an i7 8700K, a GTX 1070 and 16GB of DDR4 at 1440p and the game is flawless 60fps. The only dips I've seen were from transitions to cut scenes for a split second and that was only a frame or two.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
fell asleep during my download last night lol. Oh well, guess I got something to look forward to after work.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Ok so the day one patch v1.02 is kind of buggy. Once I updated and loaded my save I noticed that some HP upgrades in old areas were back that I'm positive I already picked up. Same thing for some 1 time chests (not all, but a few for sure).

I was heading to pick up a chest I couldn't get before I got an upgrade and noticed it's already open. Theres no way I got this because I needed a power to reach it.

I already wish I waited to play this, or just not updated. I'm already paranoid that other things will be bugged and I won't even notice it as I progress.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so the day one patch v1.02 is kind of buggy. Once I updated and loaded my save I noticed that some HP upgrades in old areas were back that I'm positive I already picked up. Same thing for some 1 time chests (not all, but a few for sure).

I was heading to pick up a chest I couldn't get before I got an upgrade and noticed it's already open. Theres no way I got this because I needed a power to reach it.

I already wish I waited to play this, or just not updated.
If you start over, it's almost like having waited.

So, it looks like that 1.02 changed a lot of stuff. Enemy layouts can be significantly different, the library area has a whole new lighting scheme and there are tons of little QOL changes, like being able to see how much an item will heal you for.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth getting on PC if I have the aging 970 + 2500k combo or would I be better off with a PS4 Pro?
I checked this on my 4.4 GHz 2500K/GTX 960 system for you.
At 1080p with everything set to "Epic" I never saw it drop below 100 FPS using Steam's FPS monitor (I did not want to install any third-party tools on that PC) and it was typically in the mid-to-high 100s.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So, it looks like that 1.02 changed a lot of stuff. Enemy layouts can be significantly different, the library area has a whole new lighting scheme and there are tons of little QOL changes, like being able to see how much an item will heal you for.

I was about to ask what this patch did because it's pretty big.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the weapons you can get with then coin do anything cool or unique? Been trying some out, but not found much. They sound and look cool!

Noticed the whip was causing enemies to drop money maybe?

The coin doesn't add anything special to the item. It's just used for crafting. If it does anything different, I haven't noticed. And don't worry too much about using it early. You'll be able to purchase more later.

Many weapons can be upgraded 2 times, which gives higher ATK. The upgrade path is like this:

Purchase weapon. (I personally don't know if only weapons purchased with the 8 bit coin can be upgraded or if ANY weapon can be upgraded)
The weapon you just purchased + another item = Upgrade level 1 weapon
Upgrade level 1 weapon + 2 more materials = Upgrade level 2 weapon

kureitenu

Oct 30, 2017
New Orleans
The coin doesn't add anything special to the item. It's just used for crafting. If it does anything different, I haven't noticed. And don't worry too much about using it early. You'll be able to purchase more later.

Many weapons can be upgraded 2 times, which gives higher ATK. The upgrade path is like this:

Purchase weapon. (I personally don't know if only weapons purchased with the 8 bit coin can be upgraded or if ANY weapon can be upgraded)
The weapon you just purchased + another item = Upgrade level 1 weapon
Upgrade level 1 weapon + 2 more materials = Upgrade level 2 weapon

Used it to craft Encrypted Orchid. It has a QCF+Square special. Also, the item description has, like, a hexadecimal code or some shit?