• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love this game. Most fun I've ever had playing a metroidvania. If Shenmue 3 weren't coming out this year, I'd already have this penciled in for GOTY.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game on Switch with 99% map completion. Also beat Boss Rush mode course 1. Will go back and polish off sidequests/the optional bosses on the map now and try some other weapon types.

I think I'd rank this on par with the DS Castlevanias, and there's a lot

Whats the situation with the switch port guys ? Was the input lag patched ? I want to dive in but I hate input lag.

I've only have had 4-5 hard crashes. A lot of the bookshelves (which trigger crashes) are next to save rooms, so just save first before you read those. Make sure and hold down the jump button when you're jumping up into another area until the game loads (that can be annoying if you miss the platform in the upper room). The art-style in the castle holds up pretty decently I think.

Personally I adjusted to the input lag and felt it was fun to play with the pro controller (used the D-Pad).

I can see the lag being an issue if you're going for perfect medals on the bosses, but most of the attacks are well-telegraphed.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When is the next patch for Xbox supposed to land? Are they going to fix the Overlord achievement bug?

It's the platinum trophy on PS4, and on Xbox it won't unlock.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Plat.

I think overall whilst I enjoyed this a lot, I still think SOTN was the better game.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have all trophies except for the item list and I'm kinda dreading it. Any hints or recommendations? Fucking black pepper and apples...
Sorry for the late reply but buy consummè and break it down for black pepper. Also max out alchemical bounty. The biggest help was being able to craft 5x of a thing and break down the extras for parts. Then all you really need is alkhest and money to solve mat problems.

Nov 1, 2017
Having a blast on PC, the game looks so beautiful at max settings. So far been sticking to the bat shard attack as it tends to be pretty devastating to most enemies and even some bosses powered up.

Miriam striking a pose by pressing up for a few seconds was an amusing discovery.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Welp, I'm at 99.9% map completion. I am curious as to what i missed. Also I need like 5 Black Peppers, which area blue chests are they usually in? (I assume they will be blue chest drops since I can't craft/buy them)

Mister Niwa

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm at 99.9% map completion. I am curious as to what i missed. Also I need like 5 Black Peppers, which area blue chests are they usually in? (I assume they will be blue chest drops since I can't craft/buy them)
What I did instead of needlessly grinding the chests was: just buy items like "Consommé" and salvage them for Pepper. I did this with almost every other crafting / preparing to get my 100% Items trophy.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Got my Plat.

I think overall whilst I enjoyed this a lot, I still think SOTN was the better game.

I agree but I think in the end this was a successor to the DSVania games like Aria of Sorrow and OoE (I forget what that stands for every time), more than SotN (despite being sold as a SotN clone). The souls and game design clearly show Iga loves that stuff and enjoys it. Whether its good or bad, it definitely makes the game something else from what SotN was. Too many avenues for drops and grinding where as SotN didn't have that or need it because the OP equipment was quicker to show up. Pluses and minuses to both ways.

I enjoyed this quite a lot, but yeah. SotN is better.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tis Rozain the best directional? Seems kinda silly. Fun tho.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
What I did instead of needlessly grinding the chests was: just buy items like "Consommé" and salvage them for Pepper. I did this with almost every other crafting / preparing to get my 100% Items trophy.

This advice is super good, I recommend it wholeheartedly, but have you noticed in the item compendium that black pepper isn't a drop?

That's because a bunch of cooking ingredients are actually only gained naturally by raiding blue chests in different areas, which you know.

The blue chests for black pepper are in the underground laboratory, and if you want to grind them, all you have to do is go a couple of screens away from the area that the chests are in. If you walk all the way to the train station on that side, and back again, they'll most assuredly come back.

This is useful for when you need to grind blue chests for materials that are a pain to get otherwise, the last area in the game helps with one of the rarest items this way too.

Also, Alkemest is super expensive when you have to use it to break down everything, isn't it? The most effective place to farm it is in the underground desert, where the Amy's roam. Those red phantoms very often drop two alkemest when slain, and you can find rooms in there where they are easily killed and resplendent.

It'll save you roughly 80,000 Gold to Murder your way to a max stack of the stuff, and if you're prepared, you can make a ton of coin at the same time as well!

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my Plat.

I think opinions on this game will vary based on what style you preferred. For example, my favorite Castlevania was Order of Ecclesia, so Bloodstained is more up my alley than SotN. I love SotN, but to me Bloodstained is the more enjoyable game. Now does Bloodstained stack up to OoE for me? Not so sure yet. I've played OoE dozens of times over the years, so I'm going to have to see how Bloodstained holds up over time. Helps a lot that it's getting a bunch of neat DLC though.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tis Rozain the best directional? Seems kinda silly. Fun tho.
Not really. The DPS is low b/c the damage ticks are far apart. Void Ray is better if you want a cool beam attack. In terms of best directionals, it's a toss up for me between Teps Oceus for its chain lightning auto-hits, True/Chase Arrow for just its shotgun blast of arrows at range and low-ish mana cost, and Heretical Grinder for its sheer DPS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

I had zero expectations for this game. I honestly thought it was going to be another Kickstarter disaster.

...but the solid reviews and word-of-mouth convinced me to give it a shot. Bought the XB1 version last week and just finished the game tonight.

I was blown away. This is an absolutely wonderful successor to Iga's Metroidvania games and one of the best titles I've played in the genre.

Absolutely loved my time with Bloodstained.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For those that have beaten the game, what are your thoughts on Dominique returning in a sequel?

She's basically the Mathias Cronqvist of Bloodstained, which sets up the potential for her to become a recurring Dracula analogue.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
This advice is super good, I recommend it wholeheartedly, but have you noticed in the item compendium that black pepper isn't a drop?

That's because a bunch of cooking ingredients are actually only gained naturally by raiding blue chests in different areas, which you know.

The blue chests for black pepper are in the underground laboratory, and if you want to grind them, all you have to do is go a couple of screens away from the area that the chests are in. If you walk all the way to the train station on that side, and back again, they'll most assuredly come back.

This is useful for when you need to grind blue chests for materials that are a pain to get otherwise, the last area in the game helps with one of the rarest items this way too.

Also, Alkemest is super expensive when you have to use it to break down everything, isn't it? The most effective place to farm it is in the underground desert, where the Amy's roam. Those red phantoms very often drop two alkemest when slain, and you can find rooms in there where they are easily killed and resplendent.

It'll save you roughly 80,000 Gold to Murder your way to a max stack of the stuff, and if you're prepared, you can make a ton of coin at the same time as well!
Thanks, this is super helpful. I farmed the Soy Sauce (think this was it) chest already but forgot where the pepper was, so I'll probably do a combination of farming and disassembling.

Oct 29, 2017
I seem to have solved the bug where my Detective's Eye ring and other passive visual flairs kept going away, unless I toggled them off and then back on again.

I beat the game for a second time so that I could get the credits trophy (missed it the first time), and now they have stayed on permanently, so far so good!

Oct 28, 2017
Inferno Breath has the highest DPS for any shard that I've tried, you don't even need to enhance it to do an insane amount of damage with it.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Has the Xbox patch been pushed out yet? I believe they said it would be available this weekend but I have not heard of any confirmation.

Oct 29, 2017
OK real talk, I have two trophies left to mop up and I will have my very first Platinum trophy.

SOTN has always been on my bucket list of games to "finish." I have the vanilla original release. Is there any benefit at all to the version of Symphony of the Night that came out as part of that collection, or should I stick with the original? Thanks!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Aftet the last area, I'd really like to see an IGA take on the Divine Comedy.
That map screen would be wild.
H65Pwo9.jpg

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For those that have beaten the game, what are your thoughts on Dominique returning in a sequel?

She's basically the Mathias Cronqvist of Bloodstained, which sets up the potential for her to become a recurring Dracula analogue.
I'm all for it. Figuring out some way for Gebel (completely turned to crystal) and Zangetsu (trapped in hell?) to return would be cool too, but that would probably presume direct sequel. Though the recurring Dracula analogue for this series would seem to be Bael.. Maybe when Zangetsu is playable some light will be shed on his situation.

Plus, folks have datamined the likely 3rd playable character: Dominique. I'm hoping that the extra characters have new story and bosses to go with them, but I'm not really expecting either.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Question regarding secret room in the Hall of Termination:
So I did the 8-bit section, beat the boss, got booted out and a chest spawned in the secret room I entered from. I got the item from it but forget what it was, I think it said 8-bit book? Anyways I looked through my entire inventory and the items in the archive and I don't have any 8-bit book, or any 8-bit items beside the 8-bit coin and a couple of shard summons I got from that area.

What was the item? Did it glitch out?

edit: nvm found it, not sure how I missed it, didn't expect it to be a crafting item I guess.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I seem to have solved the bug where my Detective's Eye ring and other passive visual flairs kept going away, unless I toggled them off and then back on again.

I beat the game for a second time so that I could get the credits trophy (missed it the first time), and now they have stayed on permanently, so far so good!

Nha, it still happened after my fourth playthrough, it's just that the condition for it happening has to be linked to what you do or earn... probably linked to waywarding or saving upon certain conditions... and you wayward less and save less on subsequent endings.
I will pay closer attention when the next dlc hits.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse

Eh, I'd rather they didn't have any major returning characters for the sequels. IGA has said before that the "Dracula returning every 100 years" thing kinda backed him into a corner creatively. Alchemy and demonology provides a much bigger pool of inspiration compared to vampires and classic monsters, so I just want them to go wild with it.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
This game is fun as hell but my god is it unpolished. I think I'm around 6 crashes at this point.

Also why does base Redbeast's Edge do so much damage? I know it bugs out so you can have the full rapier length with just the base version, but it seems like the damage is supposed to be for the fully upgraded version or something. Especially because the 16-bit version does less dmg.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game and got the platinum after 35 hours. Was a fun trip. 8/10 overall.

About as good as the handheld Castlevania's. The gameplay and systems are so customisable and feel and exploring the castle is very rewarding and enjoyable.
Combat is fun and it's nice to try out so many different builds.it was a little too easy though compared to the handheld Castlevania's and was about the same in difficulty as SOTN which I always found too easy. However I don't think it matched SOTN due to the below.

Story was awful. I mean SOTN didn't have an amazing story but it felt epic and had nice background to the characters. Kinda felt sorry for Dracula by the end. In this it just wasn't compelling enough. None of the characters were interesting and the twists were kinda stupid.

The game has a lot of glitches, crashes and bugs. Sometimes ability effects are missing, sometimes icons aren't appearing on the women who wants the food, sometimes the map has glitches, I've had more than a few crashes too as well as weapons not working how they should.

The soundtrack was poor compared to Yamane's Castlevania work but a good soundtrack on its own. It absolutely comes nowhere near her work on SOTN, Curse of Darkness etc. It just isn't that memorable and I don't want to listen to it outside the game compared to the others which I listen to regularly.

Overall great game that can be improved with a sequel.

By the way for those going for the platinum you don't have to craft the 16 or 32 bit versions of the weapons only the 8bit

parski

Nov 13, 2017
SOTN has always been on my bucket list of games to "finish." I have the vanilla original release. Is there any benefit at all to the version of Symphony of the Night that came out as part of that collection, or should I stick with the original? Thanks!
It adds lag and bad scaling. I don't know what "vanilla original" release you have but even the Saturn release is better.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It adds lag and bad scaling. I don't know what "vanilla original" release you have but even the Saturn release is better.

Saturn release is Japanese only, stretched and warped looking textures, slowdown all the time with sprites on the screen, delay to raise the menu screen by like 2 seconds, and you need to pause first and hit a shoulder button to use the map.

It is better than no other version. Playing Richter and a unique Maria don't make up for it. It is playable, but in no way is it optimized.

Oct 31, 2017
24 hours, got the platinum. Really enjoyed it for the most part, I was getting very frustrated with the final boss - felt it was too much of an endurance difficulty jump over the other bosses. But I spent some time grinding out some trophies, and the incidental levels (+rheval velar, christ that is OP) made it a doddle. Wasn't a massive fan of combing the item lists to get everything but it didn't take long in the end.

With regards to the overall game - I think the shard system was too much for me. So much I never tried and didn't care about, I feel it would have been better with smaller, more focused abilities. But that's probably just me. Will hang on to the backers copy for the future DLC though.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm close to the good ending but to be honest I'm kind done with it and feel fulflled. It was a good game, but the runs back to the hub area to get potions because I can only buy 5 at a time really made me tired of it all. The food system is grindy and boring so I didn't engage with it. All in all, I think it's a quality game and there's a lot of room for improvement for the sequel which I hope happens.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm close to the good ending but to be honest I'm kind done with it and feel fulflled. It was a good game, but the runs back to the hub area to get potions because I can only buy 5 at a time really made me tired of it all. The food system is grindy and boring so I didn't engage with it. All in all, I think it's a quality game and there's a lot of room for improvement for the sequel which I hope happens.

Grindy and boring, yet stacking food is the answer to the potion limitations. Farm a few flying pigs or cows in the Garden, use the meat recipe book above the tall room west of the blood fountain. You never need potions.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Saturn release is Japanese only, stretched and warped looking textures, slowdown all the time with sprites on the screen, delay to raise the menu screen by like 2 seconds, and you need to pause first and hit a shoulder button to use the map.

It is better than no other version. Playing Richter and a unique Maria don't make up for it. It is playable, but in no way is it optimized.
We're comparing it to digital signal processing and likely wireless controllers. I'd take the Saturn version any day.