• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Rhava Bural is an absolute beast of a weapon. I basically just stood in place and slashed the
train
boss to death. Even the
hyperspeed
boss wasn't that bad. I actually switch to encrypted orchid for a bit just to even the playing field a bit more, lol.
Once I had access to elemental spears the game became a breeze

As an aside, anytime I found a technique it was for a weapon I didnt have or that was way worse than what I had ... but the weapons I did use there were no technique for them. That whole system didnt feel well implemented to me.

Oct 26, 2017
Once I had access to elemental spears the game became a breeze

As an aside, anytime I found a technique it was for a weapon I didnt have or that was way worse than what I had ... but the weapons I did use there were no technique for them. That whole system didnt feel well implemented to me.

Well, you can learn a skill with one weapon and then use it with others.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
I thought of the weapon techs as a fluff thing. I can't remember, did the GBA and DS games even have any?

Wait, really? Like a skill thats said to work with one spear just needs to be activated with that spear and then becomes available for all
spears?

Godamnit game
There's a couple of exceptions. Any technique that doesn't have a exp meter is unique to that particular weapon.

Last edited:

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I thought of the weapon techs as a fluff thing. I can't remember, did the GBA and DS games even have any?

There's a couple of exceptions. Any technique that doesn't have a exp meter is unique to that particular weapon.
The DS games had a button you could press to do more damage at the cost of magic.

Some weapons, such as Death's Scythe, had a bonus power when pressing the button.

IGA DLC released on Switch.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys idk where the hell to go next , pls helpme .
bs1qsjaq.png

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've played this game for around 5 hours now, just finished the twin dragon area, and yet I still haven't been able to craft or eat any kind of meal.

Is this normal at this point of the game? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I just never seem to have the right ingredients.

All I want to do is give that lovely old lady her rice ball thing.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Guys idk where the hell to go next , pls helpme .
bs1qsjaq.png

I take it you just got Invert in your game?

Go to the place where you fought the Twin Dragon boss, invert and get the Aegis chestpiece that makes you immune to spikes. Then you can go through the spiked hallway to get to the Oriental lab

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I've played this game for around 5 hours now, just finished the twin dragon area, and yet I still haven't been able to craft or eat any kind of meal.

Is this normal at this point of the game? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I just never seem to have the right ingredients.

All I want to do is give that lovely old lady her rice ball thing.

Have you asked the farmer outside the village to grow anything? I was able to make rice balls within 2-3 hours. Other ingredients are still scare though this early in the game.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Have you asked the farmer outside the village to grow anything? I was able to make rice balls within 2-3 hours. Other ingredients are still scare though this early in the game.
Rice, potatoes, corn. You can buy seed in the shop (probably only after you've found it in the world tho), the galleon has a respawning chest with all three IIRC.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good guide of video that points out all the health and mana upgrades? I'm missing one mana upgrade and I can't seem to find anyone who specifically focuses on them rather than map percentage and breakable walls

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Iga, I feel, makes these types of games better than anyone else. The systems and gameplay possibilities/options are so varied and vast, it's frankly incredible what you can do and what you accidentally may uncover.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
They could expand this game a lot, I hope they have something in mind other than different characters.

I really enjoyed the game

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I uninstalled this game longer than a week ago after having issues with the bug-chest. I was mad...

But...

I installed the game again, a few days later after my rage-uninstall. Finished it yesterday and I loved it. But it felt so short somehow. Endgame Miriam was amazing and fast. The way she controls with the speed shard is great. I wanted to do more, but there wasn't anything else. I got the true ending and finished all the optional bosses. I don't want to 100% everything, there's too much nonsense farming involved.

Other Igavania's had better OST's as well.

But I really liked the game. I hope there will be a sequel.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To get
Gebel's glasses,
do I need to own every shard, or do I just need to have every shard in my archive? I foolishly sold a bunch early in the game, (when I didn't think I was gonna go for full completion) so I need to know if I need to re-grind those.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'm getting close to the 100% of items list, but it seems there are a few swords and a helmet I can't even craft (and I already have 100% on the map).
Are there special rewards for completing the boss rush routes or do you only get 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit coins?

I'm missing the last helmet (at the very bottom of the Archives list), and seemingly two swords; one between the Bandit's Sword (which seems to be unique, can't recall where I found it) and the Bloodbringer, the other right below the latter.
They doesn't seem to be craftable swords either, hence why I'm wondering about those.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Rhava Velar + Welcome Company + Dullahammer shard + Dash shard

It's waaaaay too OP. I love it. I'm blasting through everything.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Asking again in case I missed something, So the weapons in this seem less "snappy" than in other Igavanias. Is that just how the game plays? Longer wind ups and being stuck in more animations?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again in case I missed something, So the weapons in this seem less "snappy" than in other Igavanias. Is that just how the game plays? Longer wind ups and being stuck in more animations?
Aside from the whip the weapons seem about the same to me. Admittedly though I just Rhava'd through most of the game, but the standard sword works well for me too.

How do you open chests underwater? I'm right by them and getting no prompts
You'll get a shard for that later.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm getting close to the 100% of items list, but it seems there are a few swords and a helmet I can't even craft (and I already have 100% on the map).
Are there special rewards for completing the boss rush routes or do you only get 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit coins?

I'm missing the last helmet (at the very bottom of the Archives list), and seemingly two swords; one between the Bandit's Sword (which seems to be unique, can't recall where I found it) and the Bloodbringer, the other right below the latter.
They doesn't seem to be craftable swords either, hence why I'm wondering about those.
I had to look up one of those weapons after I beat the game because it was in a chest that you can't even see.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Question with potential late-game spoilers:

How were you supposed to figure out that to progress you'd need the Aegis Armor - from a chest you're unlikely to spot due to it being in a boss arena. Was there some hint I missed? All progress up till now was quite logical if you kept the big map features in mind, but the long search for how to proceed after I got invert made me think a lot less of this game.
To be honest, I've seen this argument in many places for similar items like getting the water shard from the one water enemy, using the invert skill to get the aegis armor, etc. I've got the question, then, about whether the players complaining about it ever finished a previous Igavania or not, because this is the MO. You're supposed to explore, use all of your skills, occasionally do interesting things and just generally pay attention to your surroundings. The only reason I found the Aegis Plate was because I was exploring every area again to see what I missed, saw the chest when leaving the top of thew tower, then deduced my way to using invert where I did. I know some people got "stuck" before realizing the blood steal skill was needed to get to part of the underground.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

I haven't noticed anything like that, weapons feel exactly like previous Igavanias to me. That said, I'm using a modifier or two so maybe they will feel "off" without those modifiers.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
To be honest, I've seen this argument in many places for similar items like getting the water shard from the one water enemy, using the invert skill to get the aegis armor, etc. I've got the question, then, about whether the players complaining about it ever finished a previous Igavania or not, because this is the MO. You're supposed to explore, use all of your skills, occasionally do interesting things and just generally pay attention to your surroundings. The only reason I found the Aegis Plate was because I was exploring every area again to see what I missed, saw the chest when leaving the top of thew tower, then deduced my way to using invert where I did. I know some people got "stuck" before realizing the blood steal skill was needed to get to part of the underground.

I feel like the boss intro to get the blood steal shard is a huge hint for this, but it doesn't help that the shard is basically not good. There should have been a couple of enviromental things to signal that you can actually use this in the environment as opposed to just cleaning up blood off the ground occasionally.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the game last night with 49% map completion and what seems like a bad ending. I think I know where I need to go to keep things going, but it's crazy to think after all that I haven't even seen half the game, lol.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017

All the previously blocked paths you could use your new powers on were clear to me prior to the Aegis Armor. I was immediately reminded of the blood fountain at the start of the game when I got the power from Bloodless. Maybe I lucked out because I got the shard to move underwater on my first kill - I thought that was by design. If that's a low % drop, then honestly that's pretty flawed design as well.

I played a lot of similar "metroidvania" games before, but never an Igavania. I don't mind re-exploring a bit, but I prefer it when a new ability immediately gives an "aha!" moment, like with the blood fountain. You get the shard to bounce between mirrors, and you're immediately reminded of all the locations you passed that had those mirrors. Etc. With good visual design to make you remember important landmarks/blocked paths, you shouldn't need to re-explore a lot of the map. There was just too much ground to cover after getting Invert, and the towers were the last thing I checked as the map for that area was nearly completely filled in. After getting invert, The Cathedral just seemed like a much more logical starting point to me, as the map made it clear that there was a lot left to explore there now that I could move further into the belltowers with Invert. These tall belltowers were - again - a much clearer graphical landmark for *use Invert here*. If hiding items that you need to proceed through the game in obtusely hidden chests is typical "Igavania", then these games probably aren't for me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
All the previously blocked paths you could use your new powers on were clear to me prior to the Aegis Armor. I was immediately reminded of the blood fountain at the start of the game when I got the power from Bloodless. Maybe I lucked out because I got the shard to move underwater on my first kill - I thought that was by design. If that's a low % drop, then honestly that's pretty flawed design as well.

I played a lot of similar "metroidvania" games before, but never an Igavania. I don't mind re-exploring a bit, but I prefer it when a new ability immediately gives an "aha!" moment, like with the blood fountain. You get the shard to bounce between mirrors, and you're immediately reminded of all the locations you passed that had those mirrors. Etc. With good visual design to make you remember important landmarks/blocked paths, you shouldn't need to re-explore a lot of the map. There was just too much ground to cover after getting Invert, and the towers were the last thing I checked as the map for that area was nearly completely filled in. After getting invert, The Cathedral just seemed like a much more logical starting point to me, as the map made it clear that there was a lot left to explore there now that I could move further into the belltowers with Invert. These tall belltowers were - again - a much clearer graphical landmark for *use Invert here*. If hiding items that you need to proceed through the game in obtusely hidden chests is typical "Igavania", then these games probably aren't for me.
Ah, there we go. That's part of the discussion that will frequently come up with things like this: how much information do you need to be given to proceed before it starts being considered hand-holding or, at the very least, pointed progression that removes the need to explore and discover. The implicit game loop for these types of games is usually: explore, find something that gives new power, explore new area you couldn't before (double jump, invert, whatever), repeat. The degree of obtuseness of this varies between games (hello, La Mulana) but it's kind of a hallmark of the better ones that they don't outright tell you as much, merely giving you clues to decipher. A lot of us have been used to doing these for years, so we didn't think anything of it, but I've known people that for a very long time didn't ever get to the inverted castle in SOTN because they never did a particular step in the game that's a light puzzle.

Talking to Dominique is given fairly early on as a means of hint-giving when you might be stuck, but I don't recall her mentioning what to do with this particular piece of equipment.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Ah, there we go. That's part of the discussion that will frequently come up with things like this: how much information do you need to be given to proceed before it starts being considered hand-holding or, at the very least, pointed progression that removes the need to explore and discover. The implicit game loop for these types of games is usually: explore, find something that gives new power, explore new area you couldn't before (double jump, invert, whatever), repeat. The degree of obtuseness of this varies between games (hello, La Mulana) but it's kind of a hallmark of the better ones that they don't outright tell you as much, merely giving you clues to decipher. A lot of us have been used to doing these for years, so we didn't think anything of it, but I've known people that for a very long time didn't ever get to the inverted castle in SOTN because they never did a particular step in the game that's a light puzzle.

Talking to Dominique is given fairly early on as a means of hint-giving when you might be stuck, but I don't recall her mentioning what to do with this particular piece of equipment.

There is no written clue about how to reach the area
Just that you must go to the lava level to get a new power, then have to go to an eastern laboratory.
The hint was a visual one: the giant Pillar that gets destroyed.
You remember the pillar that gets destroyed , then unlock the inversion ? brains thinks:
-i miss a spot at the tower
-something blocking ascension has been destroyed
ergo must go there.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I just tried Curse of the Moon since I got it for free.

Good god, this is not for me. My eyes.