• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else play the Iga boss fight on Switch yet? Trying to talk to Lindsay to get the quest crashed my switch like 4 times in a row. Finally got it and fought him, and the hit detection is terrible. I'm sitting there watching my sword go through him multiple times and like randomly they register. Two in a row might, then the next 3 don't, then randomly it does again. The lack of polish just frustrates and disappoints me.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Iga boss fight why Lindsay continues to offer quests after they've all been completed while Susie and Abigail have alternate dialogue after their quests are finished?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
To be honest, I've seen this argument in many places for similar items like getting the water shard from the one water enemy, using the invert skill to get the aegis armor, etc. I've got the question, then, about whether the players complaining about it ever finished a previous Igavania or not, because this is the MO. You're supposed to explore, use all of your skills, occasionally do interesting things and just generally pay attention to your surroundings. The only reason I found the Aegis Plate was because I was exploring every area again to see what I missed, saw the chest when leaving the top of thew tower, then deduced my way to using invert where I did. I know some people got "stuck" before realizing the blood steal skill was needed to get to part of the underground.
I've finished Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. As much as I love SotN, I have to admit that some elements of its progression are BS. Also, I've never been a fan of the Sorrow games' reliance on souls for progression, especially in the sense that some random enemy soul drops are necessary for progression at times. There's just too much bloat to wade through in the Sorrow games. Sure, SotN deviates from its relic system a bit by throwing the Spike Breaker armor and the Gold/Silver rings into the mix, but I think they're also appropriately isolated in a way that draws attention to them. In the case of the Spike Breaker armor, most players will at least gain an immediate understand as to how to use it, since anyone without a Library Card will probably experiment with it as a superior means of getting through the spike room.

I have three main issues with the progression in Bloodstained:
  • The increase in progression potential doesn't increase enough with each new 'key' ability you gain. You don't get much satisfaction out of getting the double jump, because you end up just backtracking to areas where you think it might be useful, only to realize that it gets you nowhere.
  • The tutorialization for said 'key' abilities isn't very good, as you're not immediately forced to use them, and you're not close enough to where many of them need to be used when you get them. It took me a long time to understand how to even use Bloodless' shard on enemies, and I honestly didn't think to use it on the environment. Had they forced me to use it in order to exit her room, however, then that might've triggered my memory of the fountain.
  • The 'key' abilities are spread among too many different forms. One is an ability you have from the start of the game and just don't need to use much up until that point. One is a random enemy drop that took me no fewer than 11 kills to obtain during each play-through. One is only likely to be discovered by someone who cares enough to fill in the entire map and work past the terrible auto-mapping in the clock tower. The list goes on.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else play the Iga boss fight on Switch yet? Trying to talk to Lindsay to get the quest crashed my switch like 4 times in a row. Finally got it and fought him, and the hit detection is terrible. I'm sitting there watching my sword go through him multiple times and like randomly they register. Two in a row might, then the next 3 don't, then randomly it does again. The lack of polish just frustrates and disappoints me.

Not sure if this helps since I didn't play it on Switch, but you have to hit him in the face.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I've finished Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. As much as I love SotN, I have to admit that some elements of its progression are BS. Also, I've never been a fan of the Sorrow games' reliance on souls for progression, especially in the sense that some random enemy soul drops are necessary for progression at times. There's just too much bloat to wade through in the Sorrow games. Sure, SotN deviates from its relic system a bit by throwing the Spike Breaker armor and the Gold/Silver rings into the mix, but I think they're also appropriately isolated in a way that draws attention to them. In the case of the Spike Breaker armor, most players will at least gain an immediate understand as to how to use it, since anyone without a Library Card will probably experiment with it as a superior means of getting through the spike room.

• The increase in progression potential doesn't increase enough with each new 'key' ability you gain. You don't get much satisfaction out of getting the double jump, because you end up just backtracking to areas where you think it might be useful, only to realize that it gets you nowhere.
  • The tutorialization for said 'key' abilities isn't very good, as you're not immediately forced to use them, and you're not close enough to where many of them need to be used when you get them. It took me a long time to understand how to even use Bloodless' shard on enemies, and I honestly didn't think to use it on the environment. Had they forced me to use it in order to exit her room, however, then that might've triggered my memory of the fountain.
  • The 'key' abilities are spread among too many different forms. One is an ability you have from the start of the game and just don't need to use much up until that point. One is a random enemy drop that took me no fewer than 11 kills to obtain during each play-through. One is only likely to be discovered by someone who cares enough to fill in the entire map and work past the terrible auto-mapping in the clock tower. The list goes on.
Good post.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
just got the game from fangamer, switch version i guess i should play now to see what happens 🙏 😥

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
My main three thoughts I've taken away from tonight's session are,

1) god I fucking hate those flying yellow things that turn you into stone

2) I wish the game had more fast travel rooms

3) that burning inferno shard is god tier

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

To be clear, I did think the one random enemy shard you have to get, regardless of the drop rate, is a bit nonsense since the enemy only occasionally leaves its habitat, doesn't always drop said shard and with the combination of those two issues, leads you to just be passing through the area, if at all, and potentially missing it and being soft stuck and not knowing WTF to do. It's literally the only shard in the game that isn't a guaranteed drop (the one in the ship is, and even says it can be used to light objects on fire, right next to a cannon) and can easily be "missed" because of this.

The rest of what I've stated before, however, is still my stance on it. I'd even have fewer, if any, issues with the one I'm mentioning above if it were a 100% guaranteed drop and the enemy gave any sort of reason to say "hey, kill me for a shard you need to progress!".

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I didn't think the one random enemy shard you have to get, regardless of the drop rate, is a bit nonsense since the enemy only occasionally leaves its habitat, doesn't always drop said shard and with the combination of those two issues, leads you to just be passing through the area, if at all, and potentially missing it and being soft stuck and not knowing WTF to do. It's literally the only shard in the game that isn't a guaranteed drop (the one in the ship is, and even says it can be used to light objects on fire, right next to a cannon) and can easily be "missed" because of this.

The rest of what I've stated before, however, is still my stance on it. I'd even have fewer, if any, issues with the one I'm mentioning above if it were a 100% guaranteed drop and the enemy gave any sort of reason to say "hey, kill me for a shard you need to progress!".
A friend has told me he thinks the shard originally belonged to a boss that was cut from the game, based on several bosses from Curse of the Moon also appearing in Ritual of the Night and one of the bosses that appears in the former but not the latter being a seeming fit to the theme.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
A friend has told me he thinks the shard originally belonged to a boss that was cut from the game, based on several bosses from Curse of the Moon also appearing in Ritual of the Night and one of the bosses that appears in the former but not the latter being a seeming fit to the theme.
I can totally believe that, considering the room layout underwater and the lack of a real boss.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I read that some people have been digging around in the game files and found a bunch of unused stuff. There is one unused water boss which was probably cut out because of lack of time or whatever, which is probably the reason as to why that part is kind of weird.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this helps since I didn't play it on Switch, but you have to hit him in the face.

Yeah these were strikes all hitting him in the head. I mean literally standing there swinging 3 times in a row really quick, before he or miriam moved positions and like 1 would register. I don't know maybe he's got a super tiny hit box, but it didn't feel that way. The fight just felt like it had hitbox issues.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah these were strikes all hitting him in the head. I mean literally standing there swinging 3 times in a row really quick, before he or miriam moved positions and like 1 would register. I don't know maybe he's got a super tiny hit box, but it didn't feel that way. The fight just felt like it had hitbox issues.

Damn, makes me glad I didn't go for the Switch version. It wasn't an easy fight, but it didn't feel cheap like that.

Oct 25, 2017

Correct. Especially because the Boss from Curse of the Moon actually attacks you with a directional water jet, which is the same exact move the normal enemy gives you in Ritual of the Night.

It's clear the Boss was cut and it was the origin of that Shard.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hmm, so I beat it but wound up with a game over screen. So I looked it up, and I could keep playing and get another ending? I dunno. The game was fun, but not so fun that I much want to carry on with it. Anyone else feel this way?

Nov 1, 2017
Finished the game, had a lot of fun. Did all the things I wanted to do or felt like bothering with, not going to go for all achievements as that's not the point to me. I had a good time, that's what matters most. I'd enjoy seeing more.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
To be clear, I did think the one random enemy shard you have to get, regardless of the drop rate, is a bit nonsense since the enemy only occasionally leaves its habitat, doesn't always drop said shard and with the combination of those two issues, leads you to just be passing through the area, if at all, and potentially missing it and being soft stuck and not knowing WTF to do. It's literally the only shard in the game that isn't a guaranteed drop (the one in the ship is, and even says it can be used to light objects on fire, right next to a cannon) and can easily be "missed" because of this.

You know, though, that one random enemy shard drop isn't even the worst part of that scenario. I thought Soma was a dipshit for not being able to
sink in water
without having the appropriate soul, but Miriam takes it to a whole other level. She needs a grand total of THREE SEPARATE SHARDS (one of which sucks ass until you level it up all the way) in order to
properly navigate underwater areas. You need the first one to get underwater in the first place. You need the second one so Miriam can sink to the bottom and walk/run, since she's too inept to open treasure chests or use Reflector Ray if she isn't standing on something. (For the record, it drove me insane having to pass those chests without opening them.) You need the third one so Miriam can walk/run at a decent pace underwater, and that one doesn't even increase your speed all that much until you've leveled it up all the way.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hmm, so I beat it but wound up with a game over screen. So I looked it up, and I could keep playing and get another ending? I dunno. The game was fun, but not so fun that I much want to carry on with it. Anyone else feel this way?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
You know, though, that one random enemy shard drop isn't even the worst part of that scenario. I thought Soma was a dipshit for not being able to
sink in water
without having the appropriate soul, but Miriam takes it to a whole other level. She needs a grand total of THREE SEPARATE SHARDS (one of which sucks ass until you level it up all the way) in order to
properly navigate underwater areas. You need the first one to get underwater in the first place. You need the second one so Miriam can sink to the bottom and walk/run, since she's too inept to open treasure chests or use Reflector Ray if she isn't standing on something. (For the record, it drove me insane having to pass those chests without opening them.) You need the third one so Miriam can walk/run at a decent pace underwater, and that one doesn't even increase your speed all that much until you've leveled it up all the way.

I'm at that part now. Just got the
sinker
and it really pissed me off passing those chests. I've loved the game up until this point, and still do, but this kinda sucks. Going to see it through and get the good ending though.

Nov 21, 2017
Fought Zangetsu #2, beat the 8-bit area over a dozen times, beat the master carpenter over a dozen times, got effectively everything except the millionaire key and warhorse key. No idea where on earth you're supposed to go from here. I'm literally grinding items, shards and cooking quests because there's not really anything I can do. Besides the room full of music boxes and the painting with an eye that follows you around at least.

The underwater area, blood fountain and trap-resistant armour were all reasonably obvious IMO, you just looked at the map and went to where you had areas that were still blank. The point I'm stuck at now however is truly a mystery, I've even resorted to taking the literal explanation of the sword Zangetsu gives you (moon cutter) and just randomly attacking in front of the background of areas where you can see the moon. I've probably spent 5+ hours doing this at this point and I can see some people giving up entirely.

Maybe the way forward will be clear from one of the few shards I haven't found yet, or if I manage to find the items for the last few cooking / funeral quests I have left.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Is Jinrai the coolest move? Cause it feels like the coolest move.
For sure. It is also VERY effective. Unlike some other weapon moves that are just a waste of MP. Best technique in the game. But another cool one is the greatsword anime dash technique. You run faster than accelerator and you can hold it for as long as your mp will allow.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Fought Zangetsu #2, beat the 8-bit area over a dozen times, beat the master carpenter over a dozen times, got effectively everything except the millionaire key and warhorse key. No idea where on earth you're supposed to go from here. I'm literally grinding items, shards and cooking quests because there's not really anything I can do. Besides the room full of music boxes and the painting with an eye that follows you around at least.

The underwater area, blood fountain and trap-resistant armour were all reasonably obvious IMO, you just looked at the map and went to where you had areas that were still blank. The point I'm stuck at now however is truly a mystery, I've even resorted to taking the literal explanation of the sword Zangetsu gives you (moon cutter) and just randomly attacking in front of the background of areas where you can see the moon. I've probably spent 5+ hours doing this at this point and I can see some people giving up entirely.

Maybe the way forward will be clear from one of the few shards I haven't found yet, or if I manage to find the items for the last few cooking / funeral quests I have left.
Have you tried fighting Gebel again? Keep an eye on the moon, and cut it with Zangetsu's sword when it reddens. Also, yeah, maybe keep track of a certain other area in the game in which the moon really sticks out from the background.

Oct 26, 2017
It annoyed me when EpicNameBro kept doing the underwater movement wrong and then constantly whined that it looked stupid when he was tapping the button instead of holding it down.

It totally makes sense that there's a missing boss. That huge room with a broken bridge and a big square area seems the obvious place.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone found a free-cam for this game on PC.
I noticed some screenshots of the game seem to have been taken by a free-cam, but I cant seem to find one for the game.

And attempting to inject UE4s Free-Cam into the game just broke my game.

Need to take some dynamic screenshots of this game.

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. It is also VERY effective. Unlike some other weapon moves that are just a waste of MP. Best technique in the game. But another cool one is the greatsword anime dash technique. You run faster than accelerator and you can hold it for as long as your mp will allow.
If you max out accelerator it's almost too fast. There's no way that greatsword dash can be faster, given how slowly it starts.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I somehow missed this post before, but that makes a lot of sense.
There's only one boss from Curse of the Moon that doesn't appear in Ritual of the Night, and its attacks in Curse of the Moon totally resemble the ability you initially get for water traversal in Ritual of the Night.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of pages to go through and I couldn't find a definitive answer via the search so can anyone tell me if they've fixed the switch version yet? Or should I just not bother with it?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat it. Save file says the clear time was close to 25 hours but it was more like 30 because of all the boss deaths. Playing on Hard was no joke.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Halp, I'm stuck. I just beat the boss that was in the spiral tower, it was like a dragon or snake or something. I got the double jump. I can't figure out where to go next.

I can't go in the bottom area underneath the tower because it says I need a key or something for the next area. Everywhere else I can't seem to get into because they have a small gap, like I need to transform into something smaller to get in through there?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Halp, I'm stuck. I just beat the boss that was in the spiral tower, it was like a dragon or snake or something. I got the double jump. I can't figure out where to go next.

I can't go in the bottom area underneath the tower because it says I need a key or something for the next area. Everywhere else I can't seem to get into because they have a small gap, like I need to transform into something smaller to get in through there?

did you open the chest at the bottom of the tower where you fought the dragons? if so, did you take it back to Dominique to get a photograph? If so, did you speak to OD in the Library?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If you max out accelerator it's almost too fast. There's no way that greatsword dash can be faster, given how slowly it starts.
I didn't upgrade accelerator. I was talking about the stock Accelerator vs greatsword dash? G dash is wayyyyy faster. You can't even keep her on the screen long enough. Have you tried holding it? Unless you are just talking about the slow startup? Yea it is def slower.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't upgrade accelerator. I was talking about the stock Accelerator vs greatsword dash? G dash is wayyyyy faster. You can't even keep her on the screen long enough. Have you tried holding it? Unless you are just talking about the slow startup? Yea it is def slower.
I haven't tried holding it for long. Does it run through enemies? You can't jump over things while charging can you? It just doesn't seem practical for traversal compared to accelerator.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm on the train and Solid Snake wants me to open a door, but I... can't?

The timer runs down and I get Game Over. I already got through the first door when he shoots up his chain and I hop over it. Now I'm at the second door and there seems to be no way around. He just tells me over and over to open the door.

How?

Christo750

May 10, 2018

The timer runs down and I get Game Over. I already got through the first door when he shoots up his chain and I hop over it. Now I'm at the second door and there seems to be no way around. He just tells me over and over to open the door.

How?
There's a lever a few train cars back.

OR if it's the magic door you have to point at with the right stick. Can't remember which one you're talking about.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

How?

I think i remember it's a door you open with your directional power... like at the beginning of the game.
The one Christo writes about is for bonus and ease of access on subsequent travels. You can come back in this area, no need to try to 100% it before reaching the boss.

You need to remember that whenever you see an object with a white with blue speckles part, it means you can move it. You will need that later.

BAgSuce.jpg

edit: with picture see the big light thing, that's the sign you should use your hand motion, like a Jedi.

Last edited: