• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just had an amazingly helpful glitch occur during the
OD
fight.

I kept having trouble with avoiding the ice shards during his Za Warudo move (usually taking an average of 900 damage), and during like the 4th or 5th try on the fight I just spammed invert during the freeze in hopes for i-frames afterward. Instead, I was hit by most of them and brought down to 0 HP, but I didn't die. In fact, I could continue taking damage without repercussion and ended up winning the fight. Short clip from the fight after the glitch happened: https://i.imgur.com/0KzFkqt.gifv

Anyone else encounter this?

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm now pretty sure that I like Bloodstained more than SoTN.

SoTN has a better OST and I like the art direction of that game more as well, but Bloodstained has incredible gameplay. I was farming late game here:

I was farming Dragon Hearts in Den of Behemoths just after I beat the Ninja and the traversal is amazing once you've unlocked the skills, Also the Katana is bad ass if you land those parries and execute those specials. You can cancel nearly everything, like L1 jumps etc. But I just started messing around with this all.

There is some nasty shit though. Some crashes and the framerate tanks hilariously in some rooms further into the game (PS4 Pro). It ruins at least one boss.

Last edited:

Lozlink

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it. Amazing game. Could be my favourite metroidvania ever. Iga knocked it out of the park with this one

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
It seems weird to rebalance a single player game with nerfs like this, where the power curve of the player already feels (to me) relatively flat. I could be wrong, but it just seems like your choices don't really influence your power all that much (or at least, it seems like it's hard to create/avoid weird difficulty swings via your gear/shards). That's the one thing I haven't really liked about the game so far: the shard system feels kind of needless and samey. I never really felt a need to branch out and experiment with different shard setups as I went and just kind of stuck with what I got really early that felt fine to use because I never really hit any walls besides
Zangetsu, both times. Both of those fights took me a few retries.
I'm right before the final boss and I decided to go back and farm out some of the overpowered stuff listed in those notes and see if they make a huge difference, and while sure, you'll be able to farm items/exp/shards much faster with Accelerator and maxed Welcome Company and Rheva Velar, I wouldn't say it makes the game outright easier because there aren't really huge jumps in difficulty in the first place. Are these changes being made more with hard mode or NG+ in mind? If so, maybe that makes more sense.

Sorry if this comes across long-winded and ranty, I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit! The direction of the balancing just seems odd to me, is all.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Bought the game at release, just started it last night. I used the NIGHTMARE code to unlock hard mode. HOLY FUCKING SHIT the first boss is insane. I must have died 15-20 times before I called it, lol. I tried again today and I beat that stupid thing, but even so it feels like I got lucky more than anything. That fucking water blast and those stupid jellyfish fuckers. Why won't they just stand still and protect me?

Funny enough, I kept the save from right before the fight and I'm going through it again right now, unsuccessfully, instead of continuing on, lol. Yup, I'm really gonna like this game!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious late game, boss breaking exploit glitch found lol.

I completely broke...
...Valefor in the Den of Behemoths today. Like absolutely broke the game. I saw the spiked ceiling and thought...
"Hmmm...I bet I can rock invert if I where the Aegis armor and stand on that spiked ceiling and just avoid all of this dude's shit."

I'd never inverted on a boss before and it absolutely wrecked Valefor. He couldn't touch me, but then he used his plunder ability and stole over 5000 gold I had and converted it to his own health...and then his model stood up got stuck in the ceiling and I undid invert leaving him there. Did the rest of the fight with the Witches hat for fast magic gain, summoning chairs to accelerate that even faster, and just abusing good old Hammer Knuckles to hit him off screen.

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game at release, just started it last night. I used the NIGHTMARE code to unlock hard mode. HOLY FUCKING SHIT the first boss is insane. I must have died 15-20 times before I called it, lol. I tried again today and I beat that stupid thing, but even so it feels like I got lucky more than anything. That fucking water blast and those stupid jellyfish fuckers. Why won't they just stand still and protect me?

Funny enough, I kept the save from right before the fight and I'm going through it again right now, unsuccessfully, instead of continuing on, lol. Yup, I'm really gonna like this game!
A strategy I see a lot is to unequip your weapon then use weak kicks to stun lock the Seama so they stay in position to block the water stream.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just went back and beat the game finally. I have a few questions. Some are spoilers so I'll tag them all.
1. How do I use Zangetsu?
2. Is Zangetsu really dead? I don't even remember him dying.
3. What's the point of the Celeste room? Just found music boxes.
4. I heard the vampire dude is a secret boss I think. How do you unlock him and how hard is he?
5. What's with the special messages on the sound test? Lol. "Turn down for WHAT?"

I enjoyed the game. I think it's a solid 8/10. Some minor bugs here and there like enemy drops getting stuck inside objects and some sound bugs. The final boss music wouldn't play a few times for me and I killed it right as it was doing its lightning laser thing so I had the sound effect blasting throughout the entire ending sequence. Other than that, I can't quite put my finger on why I found it good but not great. I guess the music was a bit disappointing, with the first two areas and garden having the best tracks. I also never found a weapon I REALLY liked but that's because I didn't bother farming or crafting too much.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
4. I heard the vampire dude is a secret boss I think. How do you unlock him and how hard is he?
5. What's with the special messages on the sound test? Lol. "Turn down for WHAT?"
1. Alternate characters aren't available yet.
2. He got sucked into the floor as you entered the Gremory boss room. As far as anyone knows, he's dead.
3. No idea, nothing in that room is tied to trophies aside from just visiting it for map completion, so I didn't bother trying things.
4. After you've exposed the vast majority of the map, O.D. lets you borrow the Tome of Conquest. He goes out of his way to say that you absolutely have to return it. If you borrow it, then teleport to Glacial Tomb, O.D. will appear in the boss room not far from the teleport room and try to take the book back by force. Make sure to return to the library after finishing the fight.
5. Could be something requested by backers, could just be the voice actors goofing off.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I just went back and beat the game finally. I have a few questions. Some are spoilers so I'll tag them all.

I enjoyed the game. I think it's a solid 8/10. Some minor bugs here and there like enemy drops getting stuck inside objects and some sound bugs. The final boss music wouldn't play a few times for me and I killed it right as it was doing its lightning laser thing so I had the sound effect blasting throughout the entire ending sequence. Other than that, I can't quite put my finger on why I found it good but not great. I guess the music was a bit disappointing, with the first two areas and garden having the best tracks. I also never found a weapon I REALLY liked but that's because I didn't bother farming or crafting too much.
StarCreator covered it mostly but for #5 I think
It's a reference to Symphony of the Night where you could put the black PS1 disc in a CD player and get a little message from Alucard scolding you about not putting it in a PS1 system followed by a music track.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
haha I can't beat this game.

2 times after delivering the final strike the PS4 messages me its too hot and shuts off completely. Fan goes completely haywire during the ending. Fuck the Pro.

Clean it, wait till winter, put into the fridge? lol.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
haha I can't beat this game.

2 times after delivering the final strike the PS4 messages me its too hot and shuts off completely. Fan goes completely haywire during the ending. Fuck the Pro.

Clean it, wait till winter, put into the fridge? lol.
I played through the game on a Pro and it was fine. I'm guessing a cleaning wouldn't hurt. The insides of these consoles get gross as hell and they're a pain/borderline impossible to clean properly without opening them up.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Sony takes lessons from MS. I have no experience with the X1X, but from what I've told its quite well built, silent and doesn't overheat. The PS4 Pro really is trash, it sounds like a fucking jet engine.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony takes lessons from MS. I have no experience with the X1X, but from what I've told its quite well built, silent and doesn't overheat. The PS4 Pro really is trash, it sounds like a fucking jet engine.
My only complaints from my time owning an x1 was that it had horrible UI and was laid out as stupid as possible with games and everything buries by ad layout and other shit. My other complaint was just not enough exclusives really. It was a solidly built machine with a lot of unrealized potential was how it felt for me.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any crashes during the end of the game on my PS4 Pro, but I have mine facing sideways so it doesn't trap heat inside its little cubby in the TV stand. I don't really notice it getting loud if it is, either.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the last fight on switch and hadn't really experienced freezing except a few times in my entire playthrough. However my current build is causing freezing often when theres a lot on screen like zangetsus talismans or millionaire banes coins.

I've been rocking Oracle blade which is a throwing sword, with attack speed boosting items, plus a very leveled version. Of shadow tracer which so far puts two more of me on the screen. I'm able to throw about two blades per each of us amounting to 6 or more on screen at all times thrown in rapid succession and each hits multiple from afar. This is better than guns and most of my other builds as I stay a safe distance at all times but its overwhelmed the game a bunch and temporarily frozen it during several fights.

I recommend this build though. It's pretty busted and abusable.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Alternate characters aren't available yet.
2. He got sucked into the floor as you entered the Gremory boss room. As far as anyone knows, he's dead.
3. No idea, nothing in that room is tied to trophies aside from just visiting it for map completion, so I didn't bother trying things.
4. After you've exposed the vast majority of the map, O.D. lets you borrow the Tome of Conquest. He goes out of his way to say that you absolutely have to return it. If you borrow it, then teleport to Glacial Tomb, O.D. will appear in the boss room not far from the teleport room and try to take the book back by force. Make sure to return to the library after finishing the fight.
5. Could be something requested by backers, could just be the voice actors goofing off.

He's not dead. You can see he survived if you use an 21:9 monitor. You can YT it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Switch version can be super exploited apparently. I found this out by accident, but I used welcome company and the Oracle blade with the shadow clones shard leveled till I had at least 2 clones. Then I used the book that increases atk speed, blackbelt to increase attack speed and that's it.

Summon shadows, turn the painting on and spam thrown blades. On the switch this is so much shit by itself as you mash rapidly that it lags out most enemy actions. OD never finished any attack animations, the revenant never did either and God help you with millionaires bane if it summons coins because the game freezes a lot during that fight.

Switch just cant take it. It's made all other builds irrelevant. It's by far the most powerful thing I got. I breezed all the optional bosses and end boss areas after gebel this way on switch.

Any ps4 folk able to do this so I can find out if it causes lag in enemies on that console as well? Especially OD. He never made a move.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sometimes getting microfreezes on my PS4 Pro after killing enemies. Is this normal or is my Pro finally dying on me as well? My PC died last weekend and I don't want my Pro dying on me too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's not dead. You can see he survived if you use an 21:9 monitor. You can YT it.
That has to be an error that they missed.
You wouldn't include something like that as a thing that can only be seen on one platform and at a specific resolution if you intended it to be something the player saw.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
That has to be an error that they missed.
You wouldn't include something like that as a thing that can only be seen on one platform and at a specific resolution if you intended it to be something the player saw.
Pretty sure it's a joke about how often developers overlook the fact that 21:9 monitors exist. A lot of games render things just outside the 16:9 view window during cutscenes.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Eventually got the Platinum and still completed other things (got on level 99, optimized many shards etc).
Where do some of the OST songs play though? Like Everblack and Sinister Sign. I never heard those anywhere.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the game did become a little unstuck towards the end, but largely I found it to be more than worth it despite the rough edges they couldn't quite hide.

However, coming off Curse of the Moon, Gremory felt like a total anticlimax -

- fighting her (and Dominique) in a nondescript ice corridor screamed development constraints, but was especially noticeable with how effective CoTM's tower setpiece with the phases of the moon inset in Gremory's halo were in comparison, despite the retro presentation.

In particular, with how the save points were set up with similar imagery and how Gremory hid in plain sight multiple other times, I was sure you'd start her fight at a fake save point - they took everything else from SoTN, why not that?

Speaking of which, the phases of the moon never change in save rooms, do they?

I know it was said to be non-canon, but with the true (fin) ending of Curse of the Moon, it makes sense that after the events of RoTN, he's trapped in Gremory's nightmare dimension endlessly reliving variations of CoTM's events. Even if it wasn't originally planned that way, I hope they draw on it for a sequel - with a less rocky development, maybe the concepts, story and characters they go for in future may be more focused.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Zangetsu isn't dead, you see his shadow in the true ending to the side when Miriam and Johannes are talking ;)

If you extend the screen you can see it's Zangetsu that's causing that shadow.

Going by video game/anime logic, unless you see someone die (like Alfred) they're most likely not dead, and even then it's questionable haha

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finally back to playing this after nearly a month of being too busy.

I stopped shortly after getting Craftwork. Around 50-60% done by map completion now. The game really picked up after the bounce upgrade and I've been loving it.

One nitpick I had was with the train. Had the right item and went to it because it made sense but ended up having to Google what to do because I didn't bother talking to a shopkeeper more than once.

Also was surprised to
find Rebel, beat him and get that game over :lol: it was a good surprise though.

I'm rocking Stinger as a weapon, Silver Knight familiar and my fave: SUMMON BATS. Might stay that way till the end of the game it feels like since I did the pass couple bosses like this.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Double post but what were they thinking
with putting the swimming shard on a random enemy you have to farm?

Aug 1st Development Update

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The new Development update is live on Kickstarter. Highlights:
  • The content of the balance update in detail has been posted to the Bloodstained forum. I suggest not reading past the OP as the rest of the thread is a dumpster fire. Notably, the balance update notes seem to include these bug fixes and other notes I don't remember seeing before:
    • Fixed instances where Bloodless would not heal while using Blood Steal offscreen.
    • Fixed shards that had memory leaks
    • Fixed the physics bug on hair while using some accessories
    • Fixed the crash after interacting with a bookcase
    • Fixed items getting stuck on walls
    • Fixed repeating SFX during Beal encounter
    • Fixed instances where sliding into water would cause the player to get stuck
    • Valefor's max HP heal is capped at 9999
    • Adjusted quest jingle volume
    • Adjusted lighting on GDN013 well (difficult to see that players can go through).
  • Japanese release date is October 24, 2019 for all consoles
  • PS4:
    • Iga's Back Pack DLC releases tomorrow, August 2
    • Update 1.04 is scheduled for later this month, containing the balance update, treasure chest/broken save fix, and localization improvements.
  • Xbox One:
    • Update 1.006 is delayed due to the allocation of resources to fixing the Switch performance issues. This update is currently projected for end of August, including the balance update, Overlord achievement fix, HDR fix, localization improvements, and other XB1-specific bug fixes.
    • Iga's Back Pack DLC is expected to release with Update 1.006
  • Steam/GG:
    • Update 1.04, including the balance update, is expected to hit tomorrow, August 2.
  • Switch:
    • The majority of all development time is being spent on the Switch performance fixes, although there is not an update ready to be released yet.
    • Update 1.02 is expected to hit any moment now. This update includes the balance update, bug fixes, and localization improvements.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I "beat" the game on Steam last night.

Map is super close (~99.6%).. just a few quests left. I started an NG+ game and am considering mop-up activity but unsure if I should press on or play something else. Had a lot of fun with this!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still mostly waiting for the big switch patch (whatever form that takes) before diving into this, but to be honest I'm incredibly skeptical that any performance improvements won't also include even further visual downgrades. I hope they prove me wrong.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
  • Xbox One:
    • Update 1.006 is delayed due to the allocation of resources to fixing the Switch performance issues. This update is currently projected for end of August, including the balance update, Overlord achievement fix, HDR fix, localization improvements, and other XB1-specific bug fixes.
    • Iga's Back Pack DLC is expected to release with Update 1.006

Bummer, but not surprising. Will dip back in once this update is live to get the fixed achievement at least.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
What are the main complaints with the switch version? I won't be able to use my PC for a month or two due to moving so I'd like to play it on Switch.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So IGA Backpack is now available on PS4... But shouldn't it be free for backers? :(
Codes will be provided on the backer survey page when they're ready. I had a look and it's not there yet, but US PSN is literally the worst about providing this stuff so I'm not really surprised. It's there for my Steam and Switch copies though.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought the DLC in the PS Store. Super excited, but it won't download. Anyone else have this problem? It's marked as purchased and in the Store the button changed to download, but when I tap it it does nothing. Notably it also shows a ps store bag icon to the right of the Download button... I don't know that that's usually there?

Any idea for a fix? I'm in the US, purchased game and DLC in the US PS Store. Already tried a reboot of the console just in case that helped, no dice.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just bought the DLC in the PS Store. Super excited, but it won't download. Anyone else have this problem? It's marked as purchased and in the Store the button changed to download, but when I tap it it does nothing. Notably it also shows a ps store bag icon to the right of the Download button... I don't know that that's usually there?

Any idea for a fix? I'm in the US, purchased game and DLC in the US PS Store. Already tried a reboot of the console just in case that helped, no dice.
Have you tried clicking "Download to your PS4" from your download list on the website?

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried clicking "Download to your PS4" from your download list on the website?

Great idea, just tried it. Whereas for the game itself it gives me a 'Download to your PS4' button when I look at the DLC the button just says 'Purchased'. I'm beginning to think that there possibly isn't anything to download to enable the content-- but I expected the title screen menu to reflect something or show anything about it after I launched it.

Anyone out there actually playing the game with the DLC content? Did you have to download anything? Is there any mention of it in the in-game menus? Or do you just have to find the Iga boss fight and the weapon in the game?

I'm used to DLC requiring at least a brief download, and then afterward in the menus it reflects the updated state. Admittedly though I don't often buy DLC, just once or twice for a few games...