• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Juice. If you can get your MP recovery to +8, it'll feel basically infinite. You can also try to 9/9 that one shard that reduces and sometimes negates MP consumption.

Or you can get Gebel's Glasses and have literally infinite MP.
Hmm, farming for all that fruit seems like a slog. Where do I get Gebel's glasses?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Those cooking fetch quests are some padding bullshit... doesn't belong in (not)Castlevania, goddamn

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Those cooking fetch quests are some padding bullshit... doesn't belong in (not)Castlevania, goddamn
I totally disagree with this statement. You don't have to do them if you don't want to. Plus the really cool thing about cooking is it gives you a bonus permanent stat increase. If they would have did that in Final Fantasy 15 I would have ate every goddamn Meal instead I ate like three of them and left the rest alone.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I usually dont play Castlevania like games, in fact, this is the first I gave a shot (because of GP) and its pretty fun so far but Im a bit stuck at the moment.
Ive beaten Gebel but it didnt give me the option to turn my save into a ng+ save file and since im at like 55% map clearance and just lvl41 I assume im also missing a lot which I wanted to get to in a ng+ run.
Any idea what I could be missing?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually dont play Castlevania like games, in fact, this is the first I gave a shot (because of GP) and its pretty fun so far but Im a bit stuck at the moment.
Ive beaten Gebel but it didnt give me the option to turn my save into a ng+ save file and since im at like 55% map clearance and just lvl41 I assume im also missing a lot which I wanted to get to in a ng+ run.
Any idea what I could be missing?
You haven't beaten the game yet and got the bad ending.

Reload and find the items in this guide then go to Gebel and think outside the box. You need to do something using the items you got when you fight him.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I totally disagree with this statement. You don't have to do them if you don't want to. Plus the really cool thing about cooking is it gives you a bonus permanent stat increase. If they would have did that in Final Fantasy 15 I would have ate every goddamn Meal instead I ate like three of them and left the rest alone.
I'm talking about the side-quests given by those old ladies. They give rewards for items and I would hate to miss out on something potentially good, but I'm just about to give up on them too because fuck going back to some blue chest to get black pepper or some shit over and over.

It's garbage, bloated quest design typical of open-world filler, and it's very sad to see this trend now infecting a Metroidvania.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the side-quests given by those old ladies. They give rewards for items and I would hate to miss out on something potentially good, but I'm just about to give up on them too because fuck going back to some blue chest to get black pepper or some shit over and over.

It's garbage, bloated quest design typical of open-world filler, and it's very sad to see this trend now infecting a Metroidvania.
Yeah, black pepper sucks. Try dismantling foods that already use it. Once you've cooked something once, the shop will stock it forever.

Also, if you equip Apron when cooking, there's a small chance you can get an extra. It does stack with Alchemic Bounty.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I need to get used to there being no checkpoints. I forget to save manually and then die and have to do a decent chunk of the game over again.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't mind that much because I was already farming to make the luck upgrade meals and then was trying to cook everything for the Plat, though it's true that there are weird spans of time where you don't have access to one of the ingredients for the next thing she wants. And I should also say that I wouldn't necessarily advise playing games how I do, haha; probably healthier not to...

fwiw I believe the last cooking sidequest reward is a hat that makes it so guns don't use up any bullets which did enable some outright goofy ways of decimating everything near the end, but is certainly not essential and there are definitely other ways to do that besides

EDIT: also, don't forget that after you cook something you can buy it from the shop, so you don't have to recook something you made for her to eat it yourself (or the other way around); similarly, I think you could always break down a meal to get the rarer ingredients if you're at the point where you have tons of money but don't want to hunt down items? but I was too impatient and usually just farmed stuff before that point, since I was boosting my luck constantly as is and it usually went ok-ish at worst

also, random fun fact I just remembered: alchemical bounty works on food! got a fond memory of finally maxing that, the equipment crafting becoming silly to begin with, and then suddenly having 70 curry when I tried to make 20...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
My game crashed when I was in the middle of doing some cooking/crafting sidequests asgsdgdfhfg

Made me hate this nonsense even more. But whatever, it's done now. :P

I beat Iga and got his shard, Insatiable, which I then used to decimate the final boss and O.D.. Sadly I left the latter for last, since he seemed really hard at first... but the Insatiable shard nuked him, lmao... and now I got access to all his books, which let me clear the race against that ninja really easily, and now I'm OP as hell, but sadly I have nothing left to do.

Except... do I? I got like, 2 hidden trophies left. What could they be? I didn't bother with the "craft everything" bullshit, but Hidden trophies are typically bosses and the like. I also have 99.80% of the map, boooooo

I also started NG+ on Hard just to see how it was and the first boss died in 2 seconds with the Insatiable shard, lol. "Unacceptable!"

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a weird decision to make the final boss susceptible to Standstill. Not that it was hard, but that completely trivialized the fight.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got any tips for getting this to play smooth with vsync off on a 60hz TV? PC version.

I've tried almost everything and can't get it to run smooth. Unlocking the internal framerate and locking in to 60 fps with nvidia inspector usually works great on UE4 games like Tekken or SF5.. but in this game it starts to stutter after a few rooms.. i suspect because of wierd frame timing..

Enabling fast sync works for stuttering and tearing.. but it introduces a slugging feeling.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got shipping confirmation on my Alchemist treasure sleeve. A little confused when it says the last item in your order is coming, but then it says your other rewards will be shipped later?

Wonder if anyone else got tracking numbers yet for their rewards?

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Played through this on PC, didn't 100%

Now that it's on Xbox Game Pass, decided to grind to 100%... only to find out that one of the achievements is bugged 😩

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the game and got the "true" ending and must say I've had fun with it

Now I'm trying to get the platinum and can't get the map to 100%... currently at 99.9 sigh

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My backer rewards came in yesterday. Forgot to check the mail haha.

2Pm09Sql.jpg

The retro book is the strategy guide pdf I guess. Not that it matters too much, already have the platinum. The slipcase is nice.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
EddcRNZ.jpg

Finally going back and starting this. PS4. Is there no way to hide this unsightly "Skip Scene" bar at the bottom of the screen during cutscenes? Even pressing R1 to hide the dialogue box doesn't remove it.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just finished this game last night on Game Pass (I backed it but stupidly chose Steam, back when my PC was in a better place for games).
It took 20 hours or so for the true ending, some of that is farming for ingredients for that stupid lady that doesn't know what food is called. I finished both of the side mission trees. Also have 100% of the map (with the help of a map online that marked the secret rooms in orange, thank the heavens for whoever made that).
The achievements on Xbox are bugged though, I'm missing a couple that I should have, which is mildly annoying.

Performance issues aside, this might be my favourite game of the year. I could barely put it down.
I wish there was more to do when you finish it though, I'm still missing a few shards and a LOT of equipment, including better stuff than I was using because I couldn't find alexandrite or whatever it was. Some end game stuff would've been nice to have something to work towards.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to see my characters full stats? I have rings that say "increases critical chance", but where can i see how MUCH? Is it 1 or 50%?

Also having a really hard time understanding how much my Traversers Ring is actually increasing my attack. I have 25% of the map explored..but it sure doesn't feel like i do +25% damage when having it equipped.

That the game is hiding so many stats is my biggest problem with it so far. The lack of weapon speed stats just make me never wanting to try anything other than the Encrypted Orchid that i know is.. pretty fast..

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woo! ispoiler!

Anyhow, I started a hard mode game and the first boss was kicking my ass so hard, but I grinded to lvl 10 and then was able to stomp her pretty hard.

I initially started a nightmare mode, but it was so rough, then I looked it up and found out it locks you to lvl 1.

0_0

No thanks, lol.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my backer rewards through

A tattoo, slipcase, poster, two badges, a key ring and soundtrack CD. And A box to put it all in.

It's fine I guess. The keyring is nice. It's annoying that it doesn't all properly fit in the box. The key ring and the badges make the card bulge somewhat

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch Graphics and Performance Upgrade Released
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The Nintendo Switch graphics and performance update you've been waiting for is now live!!! Download update 1.03 to see the improvements.

So what's new? First off, input lag has been eliminated throughout the game. You will find the controls more responsive making the game easier to navigate and enemies easier to fight. There are still some areas that need optimizing that will be included in update 1.04.

Visual quality has been improved so things look more clear and have more detail.

Stability has been improved throughout the game. We have addressed a number of specific situations that have been causing crashes, most notably when reading books from a bookcase.

Loading times have been reduced significantly, by up to 70% but there are still areas we'd like to improve. We will keep working to improve this on a room-by-room basis.

Even more improvements are coming in update 1.04, so keep an eye on the news for that announcement!

We appreciate everyone's patience as we work to make Bloodstained for Switch the best experience possible.

Xbox One Update now TBA
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Some comparison shots:

SwitchCompare2.jpg
SwitchCompare1.jpg

SwitchCompare3.jpg

Xbox update missed its release for last week and continues to be in limbo:
Zangetsu / Xbox 1.04

Unfortunately, we don't have specific dates yet for Zangetsu or Xbox update 1.04 (including the IGA's Back Pack DLC) yet. As soon as we have that info we will share it with everyone.

We appreciate everyone's patience as we continue to work on the game across all platforms and work to add more modes and backer goals.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So any impressions on the Switch update? Is it at an acceptable state now? Have held off on playing my copy I got from the kickstarter till now because I had heard it wasn't and that this big update was coming.

Just trying to decide if this is finally the time to actually play it.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, still getting some input lag on the Switch version. It is better, but i would not call it "eliminated" in any sense. I verified i was on 1.03 as well. Shame. I think i just might get it on PC and write off the console versions. None of them have made me happy.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Got my confirmation! Can't wait for my Signed Collector's Edition.

Eh, still getting some input lag on the Switch version. It is better, but i would not call it "eliminated" in any sense. I verified i was on 1.03 as well. Shame. I think i just might get it on PC and write off the console versions. None of them have made me happy.

Apparently they're aiming to make further improvements in an update later in the month.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shotgun impressions from playing about 10 minutes of the new Switch 1.03update in handheld mode (my prior experience with the game is over 50 hours on the PS4 version, 30 minutes w/ Switch on 1.02):

Input Lag - MUCH better, not sure I could entirely call it gone. It's generally very low, and what laggy feel that remains might stem from being 30fps vs 60fps on PS4. Did not have a Pro Controller to test.

Load times - Horizontal traversal load times are really good. Vertical load times are still multiple seconds, and still require you to hold onto the jump button for the entire duration lest you fall back down and have to repeat the whole process.

Graphics - Moderately sharper, but still not what I'd call clean or clear.

General performance - smoother, though still found rooms with 4+ enemies could chug a bit, making the whole thing overall feel even slower.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Got my confirmation! Can't wait for my Signed Collector's Edition.

Apparently they're aiming to make further improvements in an update later in the month.

i hope so. I don't care about the graphics (it's a switch, i know what im getting), but the input lag is what is killing it for me.
I don't regret dropping 300 for this, as i still love the formula, but i wish the consoles did a tad better. Now to buy it for the 4th time on PC lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I had a bit more hopes for the Switch patch :-/ It's better, but not several months of optimization work better.

As much as people had issues with the switch version, this was a terrible call. They should have focused this time on getting all the stretch goal content finished.

The switch version was a bad port, and it needed to be fixed, but it was never going to be fixed enough for it to bring parity to the other versions, and now we have no idea how much work has been done on all the other content the game is supposed to be getting lost launch.

If anyone has any info on that, please reply. I have been very excited to see that stuff come to fruition, and I want to know if they've made any statements on it so far.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
As much as people had issues with the switch version, this was a terrible call. They should have focused this time on getting all the stretch goal content finished.

The switch version was a bad port, and it needed to be fixed, but it was never going to be fixed enough for it to bring parity to the other versions, and now we have no idea how much work has been done on all the other content the game is supposed to be getting lost launch.

If anyone has any info on that, please reply. I have been very excited to see that stuff come to fruition, and I want to know if they've made any statements on it so far.

No, fully disagree, Switch backers shouldn't have been forced to have an unplayable garbage mess of a game because you want some DLC. No one's asking for parity, just not the mess it currently is, and still is. UE4 ports to Switch can be done and done well, look at DQXI.