• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda offtopic but does anyone have boxart wallpaper that fits on smartphone?
Im talking about something like this but higher quality ( this one is pixelated and looks bad)
3HZknZQ.jpg

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
No, fully disagree, Switch backers shouldn't have been forced to have an unplayable garbage mess of a game because you want some DLC. No one's asking for parity, just not the mess it currently is, and still is. UE4 ports to Switch can be done and done well, look at DQXI.
Yup. I think the switch version sold a lot. Now I'm on to other games. I worry they will leave a bad taste in the mouths of their supporters.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Started playing on game pass today and it's an ok game. I think it's trying so hard to be SOTN to a fault. I like metroidvania games but they've come a long way, especially with this near renaissance we've had in the last few years.

So, the extent to which they've gone to capture earlier games to a T makes it feel kind of anachronistic.

I do really like the amount of customization and the weapon variety.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
yeah I'm aware of that. It doesn't mean that being exactly that is going to always be a good thing. It's SOTN warts and all.
Except on this occasion it is a good thing. People wanted SotN. If it hadn't of been then there would have been a lot of complaints. I've platinumed this game and to be honest I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than my playthrough of SotN. So much so that I've been replaying SotN to see if I was mistaken.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Except on this occasion it is a good thing. People wanted SotN. If it hadn't of been then there would have been a lot of complaints. I've platinumed this game and to be honest I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than my playthrough of SotN. So much so that I've been replaying SotN to see if I was mistaken.

it depends. Because for me it's making me question how a game like SOTN holds up on 2019.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah I'm just not enjoying this game. I'm on the last boss encounter and the latter portion of the game was especially unenjoyable.

Things I do like: While the graphics are hit and miss, the art direction overall is pretty good. Some areas aren't that great looking (the entire underground portion of the game), but others are excellent (Oriental Lab, Ice Tomb, most of the castle). The shard system is pretty interesting and did allow a decent amount of experimentation. Overall I liked the various amounts of weapons, moves, and builds.

What I didn't like: even though there is a vast amount of weapons, I found myself using only 3-4 because they were so much better than the rest. I used the Rhava Bural for probably more than half of the experience until I got a couple great swords that finally did more DPS. That was until I got the upgraded version of Rhava Bural which you'd have to be insane not to use because it DUMPS. It took away from making me want to experiment (and here's where I segue into another complaint) because it was so good and at a certain point the bosses became extremely tedious due to ludicrous health pools.

Holy hell some of the bosses in this game are absolute trash. The fight at the end of Oriental Lab, for example, could have been decent if the boss's health pool wasn't asinine. It feels really padded since theres basically 4 phases that are all exactly the same.

The game really should have given out traversal abilities earlier. The character movement is super slow and the game has a lot of backtracking (of Course cuz it's a castlevania game I know). But, usually in other titles you get something midway through the game that is revelatory in assisting the character in progression. Getting the speed boost and double jump were awesome but didn't come until one of the final areas of the game. This kind of ruins the pacing of a metroidvania game.

And that's another problem. You get better gear and items but overall, since the game doesn't do a very good job of giving out game changing abilities, I felt like my character was more or less the same as when I started but with more health and DPS. Then all of a sudden in the later stages, it throws all of these abilities at you. Seems too little too late.

I had been wanting to play this game all year and I'm unfortunately really disappointed in it. It's probably one of the weakest games in genre I've played in a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Doesn't sound like it. Have you picked up any items with /R at the end. They are the recipes for food and equipment. You then get Johnnes to Craft them. If you really haven't found any, you aren't checking all the nooks and crannies enough. The fairy familiar will call out secret walls by the way until you get a better method later. You many not have enough ingredients either. This are best found either in the respwaning blue chests or farmed from enemy item drops. Up your luck and use items to up your drop rate, make a build and start farming those monsters!

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Beat the game and completed 100% of the map and I still don't feel like leaving the game yet. I also got most of the achievements 805/1000 but there is still one achievement I want to get which is beating all demons. I am working to get Orichalcum material in order to craft Eternal Blue Sword and be able to easily finish my remaining task. So wish me luck for getting Orichalcum because I need a lot of it (luck).

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm just not enjoying this game. I'm on the last boss encounter and the latter portion of the game was especially unenjoyable.

Things I do like: While the graphics are hit and miss, the art direction overall is pretty good. Some areas aren't that great looking (the entire underground portion of the game), but others are excellent (Oriental Lab, Ice Tomb, most of the castle). The shard system is pretty interesting and did allow a decent amount of experimentation. Overall I liked the various amounts of weapons, moves, and builds.

What I didn't like: even though there is a vast amount of weapons, I found myself using only 3-4 because they were so much better than the rest. I used the Rhava Bural for probably more than half of the experience until I got a couple great swords that finally did more DPS. That was until I got the upgraded version of Rhava Bural which you'd have to be insane not to use because it DUMPS. It took away from making me want to experiment (and here's where I segue into another complaint) because it was so good and at a certain point the bosses became extremely tedious due to ludicrous health pools.

Holy hell some of the bosses in this game are absolute trash. The fight at the end of Oriental Lab, for example, could have been decent if the boss's health pool wasn't asinine. It feels really padded since theres basically 4 phases that are all exactly the same.

The game really should have given out traversal abilities earlier. The character movement is super slow and the game has a lot of backtracking (of Course cuz it's a castlevania game I know). But, usually in other titles you get something midway through the game that is revelatory in assisting the character in progression. Getting the speed boost and double jump were awesome but didn't come until one of the final areas of the game. This kind of ruins the pacing of a metroidvania game.

And that's another problem. You get better gear and items but overall, since the game doesn't do a very good job of giving out game changing abilities, I felt like my character was more or less the same as when I started but with more health and DPS. Then all of a sudden in the later stages, it throws all of these abilities at you. Seems too little too late.

I had been wanting to play this game all year and I'm unfortunately really disappointed in it. It's probably one of the weakest games in genre I've played in a while.

I will fully agree with this. I was majorly disappointed in it from all aspects. Though I disagree on the art direction, it felt disjointed with no cohesive link to pull it all together. I felt like too much of well everything is pushed to the end game. Even crafting stuff, there is so much you can't do or create until the later areas of the game. It makes it all feel pointless for something like 75% of the experience. The drop rate for a lot of stuff was just stupidly low percentage wise. To the point where there are a ton of food items that I never even saw in my play through of the game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I will fully agree with this. I was majorly disappointed in it from all aspects. Though I disagree on the art direction, it felt disjointed with no cohesive link to pull it all together. I felt like too much of well everything is pushed to the end game. Even crafting stuff, there is so much you can't do or create until the later areas of the game. It makes it all feel pointless for something like 75% of the experience. The drop rate for a lot of stuff was just stupidly low percentage wise. To the point where there are a ton of food items that I never even saw in my play through of the game.

It's weird. It's like the game at one point it didn't have all of this stuff and it was added so late in development that it only gels with the last few hours of the game.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That's bizarre to me. Granted, I did go out of my way to farm some ingredients to cook specific things at some points, since I wanted to constantly boost my luck stat when possible, or else wanted to continue the quest that requires cooked items. But even without that, I definitely could just naturally cook a lot of things.

Are you just ignoring the respawning chests, not killing enemies, or something...?

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's bizarre to me. Granted, I did go out of my way to farm some ingredients to cook specific things at some points, since I wanted to constantly boost my luck stat when possible, or else wanted to continue the quest that requires cooked items. But even without that, I definitely could just naturally cook a lot of things.

Are you just ignoring the respawning chests, not killing enemies, or something...?
I didn't know about Harry the farmer so I lacked critical ingredients to cook anything. I figured it out now though.

This is quite a brilliant game really. One of the best Castlevanias I've played for sure. I got Game Pass PC for The Outer Worlds, but ended up binging Bloodstained instead. It looks pretty good at 4K too.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing this via Gamepass on PC. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed everything for the most part, although some of the skills come way too late (Accelerate comes to mind), and the grinding needed some of the materials is a bit too much.

Also, i dont think a lot of the encounters were built for invert. Most of the bosses are trivialized with it. Half of the final bosses attacks cannot even hit you once you do it.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak for others, but I opened every respawning chest I saw, and killed every enemy I saw. There were still a TON of cooking ingredients I never ever came across. In looking it up some of this stuff had such low, I mean stupidly fucking low chances of being dropped its ridiculous. I shouldn't have to grind for hours to get ingredients to cook a huge amount of things in this game. Specially when grinding in this game is so damn boring.

I ended up pretty high level by the time I put the game away, and still did not come across a ton of cooking ingredients.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Xbox 1.04 patch been released yet, whats getting fixed?

Was going to start playing this but want to wait for the update if important stuff is getting fixed?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, havent played the game in a good few months and then only played it for like 3 hours but im noticing some chest that im certain i open are now closed again, and looking on the map area ive been there are a fair few chest and scroll icons, is this some bug?

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, havent played the game in a good few months and then only played it for like 3 hours but im noticing some chest that im certain i open are now closed again, and looking on the map area ive been there are a fair few chest and scroll icons, is this some bug?

No, some of the regular chests refill once you revisit a zone. The scroll icon are where the targets for the kill x monsters subquests are.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
No, some of the regular chests refill once you revisit a zone. The scroll icon are where the targets for the kill x monsters subquests are.

Ah ok, just that i went into a room that according to the map i had not been in but there was an open chest in there, i know i heard at launch there was issues with chest been closed or opened and not contain needed items to progress

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at about 80% map progress now and probably close to the end of the game. It's a top tier Castlevania but I don't think I'm gonna 100% the archive. It seems like that would be very grindy, although I will aim for 100% quests.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I'm at about 80% map progress now and probably close to the end of the game. It's a top tier Castlevania but I don't think I'm gonna 100% the archive. It seems like that would be very grindy, although I will aim for 100% quests.
Yeah. You will add about 10 hours of grinding to get all items and shards. For me, I completed the Map 100% and got all the achievements except:
-Getting all items.
-Getting all shards.
-Getting 500k gold.

Now I'm done with the game.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. You will add about 10 hours of grinding to get all items and shards. For me, I completed the Map 100% and got all the achievements except:
-Getting all items.
-Getting all shards.
-Getting 500k gold.

Now I'm done with the game.
There are no achievements on Game Pass PC unfortunately. I wonder why actually. Isn't that account tied to my Xbox Live acc?

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game. This was a straight 10/10. God tier Castlevania, perhaps the best, and clearly my game of the year. The soundtrack could have been a tad better but it wasn't bad. It took me about 20h and I enjoyed every single second of it. They could have made a dash ability available a bit earlier though.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
As a day one backer at the $150 tier who has finally completed the true ending, IGA and the kickstarter delivered!!!

Yeah it looked a bit low rent, had some jank, and yes I had to play it on ganerpass instead of the switch due to performance issues (so I have no idea how I'll access the IGA boss fight dlc since my code is for the switch), but with regards to everything else it was perfect and the mechanics "felt" so right.

I eagerly await the next project IGA decides to work on. Well done.

Now to get my map to 99% for the secret boss fight.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a day one backer at the $150 tier who has finally completed the true ending, IGA and the kickstarter delivered!!!

Yeah it looked a bit low rent, had some jank, and yes I had to play it on ganerpass instead of the switch due to performance issues (so I have no idea how I'll access the IGA boss fight dlc since my code is for the switch), but with regards to everything else it was perfect.

I eagerly await the next project IGA decides to work on. Well done.

Now to get my map to 99% for the secret boss fight.
Didn't you get two copies? I backed at $125 and ended up with both PS4 (digital) and Switch (physical) versions.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Didn't you get two copies? I backed at $125 and ended up with both PS4 (digital) and Switch (physical) versions.
I need to go check because it's been ages, but I think I would of had to go to the $175 tier for a digital copy?
Here we go. No digital copy...
Pledge US$ 150 or more
DARK GRIMOIRE
A softcover art book, plus everything included with the $100 tier.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I did almost everything and beat the game on the XBone version. I later visited a friend and played the game on his PS4 and I noticed several differences.
-Enemy placements/locations are different.
-Boss patterns are different.
-The assassin/ninja race (to get the acceleration shard) on the PS4 was glitchy (glitchier than the PS4).
-Executing the command to do invert on the PS4 is not as smooth as the XBone.

I thought the differences are in performences but not game designs.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Just started downloading a 7gb patch on Xbox. Hopefully this is the colour fix + balance update.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
The intro and menu colours aren't blown out anymore so looks like HDR is fixed. The balance changes if they're in were released on PC and PS4 months ago. Think they were the initial patches that nerfed some shards lol

Xbox 1.0.0.6 Update Released
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just started downloading a 7gb patch on Xbox. Hopefully this is the colour fix + balance update.

Yup, update is out and includes the HDR color fix and balance changes.

Fixed HDR colors appearing washed out

HDR1.jpg
HDR2.jpg

* Updates to Localization

* Fixed bug with Overlord achievement
(You may need to reload a saved game in order to receive the achievement.)
* Map Improvements

- Map close button has been remapped to standard exit/close button

- Marker button has been changed

- Trail display button has been changed

- Map scroll speed improved

- Zoom in and zoom out improved

- Zoom level retained when reopening the map

- Auto-center when opening the map

* Bug fix: No longer displaying enemies for completed quests

Bug Fixes

* Fixed instances where Bloodless would not heal while using Blood Steal offscreen.

* Fixed shards that had memory leaks

* Fixed the physics bug on hair while using some accessories

* Fixed the crash after interacting with a bookcase

* Fixed items getting stuck on walls

* Fixed repeating SFX during Beal encounter

* Fixed instances where sliding into water would cause the player to get stuck

Familiar Changes:
* Familiar upgrade via Grade was nerfed

* Increased strength based on level

* Dullhammerhead has been nerfed

Shard Adjustments (Decreased Power):

Riga Stroaema

OLD ATK 28

NEW ATK 24

Craftwork

OLD ATK 15

NEW ATK 10

Change Bunny

OLD ATK 30

NEW ATK 25

Flame Cannon

OLD ATK 18

NEW ATK 16

Straight Arrow

OLD ATK 18

NEW ATK 16

Chase Arrow

OLD ATK 16

NEW ATK 14

Heretical Grinder

OLD ATK 19

NEW ATK 15

Circle Ripper

OLD ATK 36

NEW ATK 32

Shooting Dagger

OLD ATK 24

NEW ATK 20

Riga Dohin

OLD ATK 40

NEW ATK 35

Welcome Company

OLD ATK 18 / Spawns 5

NEW ATK 12 / Spawns 3

Directed Shield

OLD MP 30/sec

NEW MP 50/sec

Weapon Adjustments (Decreased Power):

Flying Edge

OLD ATK 18

NEW ATK 16

Rhava Bural

OLD ATK 14

NEW ATK 12

Rhava Velar

OLD ATK 16

NEW ATK 14

Weapon Techniques (Increased Power)
* Surprise Gift

* Force Blast

* Lasting Wound

* Flashing Air Kick

* Crimson Storm

* Sansetsuzan

Crafting

* Changed crafting materials for Flame Cannon

Enemy HP Increases

* Dullahammer Head

* Malediction

Boss Adjustments

* Orobas

* Valefor

* Gremory

Drop Adjustments

* Increased the drop rate of "Monster Fur" from Simians

Credits

* Text corrections

Misc.

* Valefor's max HP heal is capped at 9999

* Adjusted quest jingle volume

* Adjusted lighting on GDN013 well (difficult to see that players can go through).

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
* Updates to Localization

* Fixed bug with Overlord achievement
(You may need to reload a saved game in order to receive the achievement.)
* Map Improvements

- Map close button has been remapped to standard exit/close button

- Marker button has been changed

- Trail display button has been changed

- Map scroll speed improved

- Zoom in and zoom out improved

- Zoom level retained when reopening the map

- Auto-center when opening the map

Yes. These map fixes are much needed. I played 20+ hours of the game and I still hit the wrong buttons everytime I open the map.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the Xbox update is out I'm finally going through Bloodstained, and boy this hard mode no joke. Took a good 8 or so tries to beat the first boss alone.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game last week and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Overall, aside from some messy boss fights, I enjoyed the game but performance and overall stability still leave a lot to be desired even after months of patches.

There's a lot to like in the game but when I'm falling through the floor, getting a fluctuating framerate during bosses and having moments where Miriam becomes gets locked in place it kind of colors the whole experience negatively.

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to have a go of this since it popped up on Origin Access but I can't even get it to start up, it just gets stuck on a screen loading saying "Saving.. Do not turn off the power", anyone encounter anything similar?

Patch 1.04 for PS4

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The update 1.04 is live on PS4.

Patch Notes:
  • Treasure chest bug fix
  • Localization updates
  • Bookcase crash fixed
  • Repeating SFX during Bael encounter
  • Familiar changes