• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting this on switch, but have they patched and fixed it up yet? Don't want to buy if it's still in a bad state.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Also stuck at 99.9% I know it's a big ask but can someone please help me locate the last room? Been staring at this and completed maps but I really can't find what I'm missing

LudiF4K.png

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Is Zangestsu playable yet? Or any info when he will be?

I'm itching to give it a go on gamepass but I want the whole package.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Is Zangestsu playable yet? Or any info when he will be?

I'm itching to give it a go on gamepass but I want the whole package.

The whole package will probably be years away. Shovel Knight was released in 2014, but only just got its final piece of content like this month.

Content to come includes both the second AND THIRD playable character (who is unknown), Classic Mode (a retro Castlevania linear affair), several Multiplayer options, a Roguelike Dungeon, and Boss Revenge Mode.

I might be missing some of the coming content, didn't have a full list on hand.

But yeah, the Kickstarter met a metric ton of stretch goals. We'll be getting free content for a long time to come.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only thought about that patch is how could 8-Bit Fireball and Ukonvasara escape nerfs??? But I guess they mostly hit low level. Why bother to nerf Rhava when Ukon has twice the damage and near perma-stun lol

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bit late to this, but started playing this on New Year's Eve and today, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Most of my experience with Castlevania games comes from the DS games in the series (played a bit of SotN as well) and feels like this really hits a lot of my nostalgia and fondness for those games. Bosses have been a bit on the tougher side for me, but I'm just having a lot of fun going through the castle.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone spot the missing rooms from this screenshot? I am standing at 99.80% and beaten all the bosses

GUkFd2Z.png

All in all I really liked the game, except that some of the later areas (
mainly the underground, fire cavern thing and the glacial tomb)
kinda fell fat, some of the later game things required were kinda silly (for example how to get the swimming skill...) and some of the balance could have been tweaked a bit more to make you experiment with the different shards and weapons (I rocked a sword and True Arrow all the way to the last boss)

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just finished this up earlier today. Uncovering the map really reminded me of what I enjoyed about the prior Castlevania games, and was probably my favorite aspect of the game. It was also really fun to go back to parts of the map with new abilities and get to new places that were previously inaccessible.
I do wish there were some more options for outfit customization (though I do think Miriam's default outfit looks pretty cool), though I also was pleasantly surprised to see options to change skin color in addition to hairstyles.
Definitely look forward to playing any future Bloodstained games that come out.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So its been a while but have we heard about the DLC roadmap or something?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So I played Switch version 1.04 in Handheld and Docked modes for a few minutes. Bear in mind my impressions are very anecdotal, and I'm not particularly sensitive to framerates or input lag, though input lag was reportedly fixed in 1.03. Here's what I noticed (some of this may also be from the previous update, I did my playthrough near release this summer):

• I could believe there's been some increase in either resolution or in some texture quality. It looked sharper overall in both modes (aliasing still apparent in handheld). Textures are still generally bad across the board, but I did see some categorical improvements -- especially in the portraits, which now look fine, though they looked embarrassingly low-res before.
  • I'd reckon it's a more stable 30 frames per second. The one huge room in the Tower of the Twin Dragons still runs poorly, but I believe that's the case in all versions. Didn't really stress test it, though.
  • Loading seems nice and quick, aside from the initial boot up.
  • Easier to find where you are when opening the map.
  • Textures noticeably pop in -- don't recall if that was the case before.
  • There do seem to be a small blips of mico-lag -- like a dropped frame here or there.
Overall, I'd say this is better than it was, but it's not a massive, transformative improvement. For context, I didn't find the unpatched version unplayable or horrendous when considered in a vacuum; Bloodstained is no looker on other consoles, it's just that you're getting a mediocre looking game at a much higher res and higher frame rate, which does make the Switch version pretty poor in comparison (unless portability is a big priority for you). And I felt it was a shit move from the publishing/developing standpoint when viewed in the context of what the Switch is capable of elsewhere and when considering how this version appears to have sold compared to the more polished versions on other platforms.

Pretty quiet update so far, anyway -- this Reddit thread and this one are only other place I could find some impressions. Apparently, this is the big final update and we're supposed to get patch notes tomorrow.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty quiet update so far, anyway -- this Reddit thread and this one are only other place I could find some impressions. Apparently, this is the big final update and we're supposed to get patch notes tomorrow.

My guess is, nobody cares anymore. We're what 7ish months past launch, there have been so many much better games released in that time. Plus anyone who really wanted to play this has either put up with the crappy Switch version or got it elsewhere to play it by now. I would describe this as too little too late.

Oct 25, 2017
Where does the game says what version do you have in switch?
it updated, but i don't feel any change :(

nvm: the switch menu says v.1.04

Mar 27, 2019
So I'm kind of stuck in the game and need some help . I've gotten half the map uncovered, just got the mirror bouncing ability, collected the photograph to unlock the trainstation but it seems like everywhere else I can go is blocked by some ability I don't have. Can anyone give me some tips as how to proceed?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm kind of stuck in the game and need some help . I've gotten half the map uncovered, just got the mirror bouncing ability, collected the photograph to unlock the trainstation but it seems like everywhere else I can go is blocked by some ability I don't have. Can anyone give me some tips as how to proceed?

There's an area in the... top left? IIRC? Of the map that's full of spikes. To cross it, you need to find armor in the tower area... I forget what it's called exactly, sorry, but it's the tower that you can walk around the outside of.

but if you're like me, and found that armor by chance, but couldn't even get to the spikes: you can use the hand shard to pick up the iron maiden traps

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing again but laughed when I realized my last saves where in July. Definitely too late. It looks better and they should have waited.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
How do you get Abigail to unlock her final quest? I've completed the other 19, but she won't offer the last one for me to select. Are there certain things I have to do prior?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game and played 3 hours. It has a lot symphony of the night vibes with the save rooms and tunnels connecting different areas. So good!

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I played them all and my favorite is Aria of sorrow because it has the best boss/character Julius in it. I really don't know why I waited so long for bloodstained.

Yes Aria and Julius are great. I hope IGA is already working on the next game, even if it takes until 2024 to get it.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I searched every nook and cranny for a way to get past some spikes after inferno cave. I completed most the castle and found a lot of goodies but nothing to progress past the spikes. I took my time studying the map for unentered rooms after my castle raid but there was nothing left except the upper corner of the twin dragon boss room. I thought nah, there will be nothing there in this corner. I gave up and looked online how to progress. As I realized where to go I felt pretty stupid but there was absolutely no hint about it. Not even the town chars threw me a bone. This place was the absolute last place in the castle to look for something. You got me good bloodstained.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The part that kills me about all that is that I totally found that armor naturally, way before I got stuck.

...I'd just immediately forgotten that you can move the iron maidens using the hand shard, so I was looking all over for how to deal with those before I finally gave up and Googled and could actually get to the spikes.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Alright beat the game, got 100% map completion, cooked every dish and got almost every demon. Only one demon is eluding me which is a certain optional boss.
In hindsight the shard system was really cool but I didn't use it that much. The difference between rank and grade was confusing and I just realized post credits how mighty some shards can get.
The bosses were soso. The last boss was really good but the rest were not really memorable. The only other good one was the Ninja fight.
I just looked at my trophy list and I almost got everything done. But I don't know about that item list trophy. Does it really mean every item in the game? That would be crazy.
All in all, cool game with a lot of classic atmosphere but for me it doesn't move the genre forward. You get the best parts of past metroidvanias but nothing new. A solid 8 out of 10.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alright beat the game, got 100% map completion, cooked every dish and got almost every demon. Only one demon is eluding me which is a certain optional boss.
In hindsight the shard system was really cool but I didn't use it that much. The difference between rank and grade was confusing and I just realized post credits how mighty some shards can get.
The bosses were soso. The last boss was really good but the rest were not really memorable. The only other good one was the Ninja fight.
I just looked at my trophy list and I almost got everything done. But I don't know about that item list trophy. Does it really mean every item in the game? That would be crazy.
All in all, cool game with a lot of classic atmosphere but for me it doesn't move the genre forward. You get the best parts of past metroidvanias but nothing new. A solid 8 out of 10.
Yeah, it means every item in the game. You don't have to keep it in your possession; you just need to have acquired it so you get the item list entry. You also don't need to upgrade the 8-Bit Coin weapons.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
www.kickstarter.com

Update 102: Publishing Update: Game Mode Details, Content Cadence, and More · Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Hey, everyone! As you may have noticed, we are no longer doing an update on the last Thursday of each month. Now that the game has launched, we are going to shift to smaller KS updates that occur when info is ready rather than waiting for a specific day. The monthly schedule worked well...

Update #102

Publishing Update: Game Mode Details, Content Cadence, and More

Koji IgarashiCreator
March 2, 2020

Hey, everyone!
As you may have noticed, we are no longer doing an update on the last Thursday of each month. Now that the game has launched, we are going to shift to smaller KS updates that occur when info is ready rather than waiting for a specific day.
The monthly schedule worked well pre-launch, but it isn't suitable for a live product. Going forward you may get an update from just Fangamer or ArtPlay or 505, or a combo of the three.
The goal is to provide info to backers when it is relevant and ready, and not just because it is time. There need to be fewer "Updates about updates" and more updates that are interesting and informative along with announcements that have concrete info.
For those who want to only follow KS updates and not any of the social channels, we will collect important live info and repost here in digest form when needed.
With that said, here are some updates!

Game Mode Changes
One of the promised stretch goals for the game was Roguelike. Unfortunately, the code that was created early in the game's development is not currently compatible with this type of gameplay (especially a procedurally generated castle). Due to this, we regret to announce that we will not be developing Roguelike as part of the project's planned stretch goals.
We know this is a mode that many of you were eagerly anticipating and we apologize that we will not be able to make it happen as planned.
We don't want to leave a hole in the roster, so we have developed a new game mode called "Randomizer" to take its place. Randomizer will launch with Zangetsu and be available for free. Details on Randomizer are laid out below.

Boss Revenge Mode
On Discord, "Boss Revenge" mode had previously been mentioned as launching at the same time as Zangetsu. This statement was made in error. Boss Revenge is scheduled for the content update that follows Zangetsu and Randomizer.

Switch News
Switch players may have already noticed the 1.04 update that went live in January. While this was the last Switch update focused primarily on performance, we are not done working to improve the platform. Switch has come a long way since launch and we are happy with the progress it has made, but there is still more to do (especially in large rooms/dragon towers). We will continually roll out enhancements along with content updates to make the experience as smooth as possible.

Content Cadence
Switch 1.04 brought all the platforms (PC, PS4, Xbox and Switch) into 'Content Parity', which is a fancy way to say that they all have the same stuff. This was a big milestone for the game. When all the platforms are at the same place, it makes future updates easier to manage. The production teams can all work on the same content and release updates on a schedule with shorter gaps between them.

Randomizer Mode Details
Randomizer is the story campaign you're used to, but with a twist. Before starting a game, players can choose up to eight different game parameters to be randomized during the playthrough.

hWaideZ.png

As an example, "Items - Retain Method" means that items will be found in the same spawn method (chest, mob drop, etc.) as normal. Items found in chests will still be found in chests, they will just get mixed around. "Total random" means anything can drop anywhere.
The mode will ensure safeguards to ensure that items needed to complete the game will be obtainable, so you can't softlock your progress.
Once you make your selections, you can generate a seed that you can use for reference or to share with someone else. In addition, a timer will track your progress through the game and display your completion time at the end of a run.
We hope that everyone will enjoy the new mode and work to get the shortest clear time possible for your permutations!

More details to come!
As always, we appreciate the patience that everyone has shown as we improve the game on all platforms and work on new content!
Jason "Question" Ryan
Sr Community Manager - 505 Games

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Neat to have native support for randomizers. I always wanted to try some of those out.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The excuse that the early base code is fundamentally incompatible with a roguelike mode sort of falls completely apart when the promise of the mode predates the code.

The excuse that the early base code is fundamentally incompatible with a roguelike mode sort of falls completely apart when the promise of the mode predates the code.
Considering how rough development was in general, I don't doubt that it got tabled when the developer changeover happened, 505 came in to publish the game, and the priority became getting the base game done. And at that point, it likely was virtually unworkable with how everything turned out in the end. I sympathize with anyone disappointed with it being dropped, as games like Rogue Legacy show how well a Metroidvania roguelike can work, but a randomizer is a solid make-good.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks about no Roguelike mode.
yeah pretty much this

I'll manage with Randomizer as that's been a great way to revitalize games but man it would have been really cool to go full Roguelike. I'd be interested in an Era randomizer race league though. That could be really fun.