• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017

Hi, everyone.

Work on the Nintendo Switch graphical and performance update continues. We apologize for the long development cycle. Most of the changes are on a room-by-room, enemy-by-enemy basis so there are a significant number of assets being reworked and it's taking more time than initially expected.

We are pleased with the progress that has been made so far and look forward to getting it into your hands. While the teams are working on an extensive list of myriad improvements, their focus is on four principal areas: Visual Fidelity, Loading Times, Particle Effects and Input Lag.

• Visual Fidelity - The way that backgrounds and environments are rendered are being significantly updated. This will result in noticeably sharper environments in most areas throughout the game.
  • Loading Times - Load times between scenes are being greatly improved, but are still not where we would like them to be, so work remains.
  • Particle Effects - We have already replaced hundreds of particle effects with new assets and more yet remain. The new ones look the same to the user, but are much less impactful on the performance of the game. This has been one of the main culprits for framerate drops during fights.
  • Input Lag - Input lag times have been significantly reduced, once work on this is completed the game should feel much more reactive when playing.

The improvements are expected to be released in two separate updates. The first update will contain the vast majority of the improvements. The second update will improve performance with a couple of especially troublesome areas and enemies.

We expect these updates to be launched by the end of November. We will give more specific timeframes when we are closer to release.

After the Switch upgrade is live, there will be a handful of assets/enemies that we want to improve like the Doppleganger enemy for example. These improvements will be part of our regular development cycle and updated when ready.

Xbox 1.006 Update

This update is still planned to go live by the end of September. It will contain:

• IGA's Backpack DLC
  • Balance Update #1: Details Here
  • Overlord achievement fix
  • HDR Fix
  • Localization improvements
  • XB1-specific bug fixed

PS4 1.04 Update

We do not have a live date for the PS4 1.04 update. We will provide more info when we are closer to a release date. This update will contain any other bug fixes, improvements we've been working on since the last update.

Localization Improvements

We have taken another pass at improving localization. These updated loc files will be included in the next update for each platform.

As always, we thank everyone for your patience as we work to improve the game across all platforms.

Jason "Question" Ryan

Sr Community manager - 505 Games

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I bought it on Steam because of this issues, but haven't had a chance to play. I may just refund and wait for impressions on Switch (again). I really want this on the Switch.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Glad to get an update. I'm hopeful the Switch version gets to a respectable point so that I can jump in.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I got this game on PS4 and Switch. My Switch version is still in its shrink wrap. I did enjoy this game a lot and beat it on PS4, even getting the plat, my second ever.

I'm looking forward to this being fixed and doing a second run through this on the Switch.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even touched my PS4 copy. If the Switch patch fixes the issues the game has I think I'll double dip.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
It sounds like the developers are really investing time and effort into fixing Bloodstained on switch. It's a bit disappointing that it wasn't fully cooked at launch, but this is the next best thing. A broken game unpatched forever is just the worst. (Looking at you DMC3 on steam).

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Awesome, I might go back replay this at some point then. I enjoyed the game but this is one of the worst experience I've had on a console for how much worse it looks, the frame drops and the input lag that sometimes happened. I beat it but had no desire to go and do the optional bosses aftewards.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
At least we have a real timeline now. I've been holding off on this one for a really long time because of the issues it has currently, so if the patch actually delivers, then I'll most likely pick this up.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I got the PC version on release so I'm not 100% familiar with the issues, but why is it taking so long for a fix?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I was thinking of buying this, but after seeing how they're ok releasing an unoptimized mess i won't anymore, even if they manage to fix it.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I got the PC version on release so I'm not 100% familiar with the issues, but why is it taking so long for a fix?

The issues with the game are detailed in the OP. Sounds like they tried to have WayForward do a port in 6 months and it didn't turn out so well, so they gave them another 6 months. Something like that. They never have gone into a lot of detail about the ports, but WayForward keeps coming up, and apparently Iga didn't even see the port until it was ready to go out the door. Tons of shadyness from 505 Games and Iga surrounding the Switch version.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The issues with the game are detailed in the OP. Sounds like they tried to have WayForward do a port in 6 months and it didn't turn out so well, so they gave them another 6 months. Something like that. They never have gone into a lot of detail about the ports, but WayForward keeps coming up, and apparently Iga didn't even see the port until it was ready to go out the door. Tons of shadyness from 505 Games and Iga surrounding the Switch version.
So, the publisher cheaped out and tried to rush something out of the door and they've been fixing it ever since.

Hella shitty.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I am pleased that they haven't given up on the switch version. Once the patch is out I will do a 2nd playthrough. :)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Waiting for my New Game+ run until this patch hits so I am patient enough.

Tbh this'll be one of the best games on Switch if the performance is up to snuff after this patch.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Part of the Kickstarter promise was that the PS4/XBO would be the baseline for the game and that they would not let the Vita/Wii U version hold the game back in any way. So no accommodations were made for downports. They started very late on a downport to the Switch since it launched late into the game's development, and apparently it's taking a huge amount of man hours to optimize everything in the game to work at 30 fps on the Switch. It seems like the biggest issue was whoever made the decision to launch the Switch version way too early instead of delaying that version until the holiday or early 2020.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
End of November is a fucking ridiculous wait time for a game launched in a completely unacceptable state. I dont see any reason users should trust them on this.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Already completed Bloodstained 100% on PC. I feel for the Switch backers that had to wait so long post-release for a (potentially) proper version, howver.

It's unacceptable.

Jan 21, 2019
I finished it twice on PS4pro. Other than 2 crashes and a slow down on a boss, it was perfect. I loved it and I can't wait for another igavania.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I'm glad to hear they're making big improvements, but my physical copy is now basically a useless POS.

They should update and send new carts to their backers after the patch.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
End of November is a fucking ridiculous wait time for a game launched in a completely unacceptable state. I dont see any reason users should trust them on this.
Yeah I think there comes a point when the gap between launch and the patch releasing is just too big. They should have done the decent thing and offered refunds.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
not sure if I should wait longer on the Switch patch or if I should just play it on Game Pass on PC.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
They shouldn't have released the Switch version in the state that they did, but they're clearly working hard to make it better. They've been pretty good about keeping us updated on the fixes too, and having a more solid timeline helps. We all should've known this was going to take a while, and it's a good thing too. Better to not screw it up again.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I hope there are some performance fixes in the Xbox update mentioned in the post.
The game just seems to drop to sub-30 fps in some areas, the same areas every time, even without enemies on screen. It's playable at least, so I guess it's pretty minor compared to the Switch issues.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They shouldn't have released the Switch version in the state that they did, but they're clearly working hard to make it better. They've been pretty good about keeping us updated on the fixes too, and having a more solid timeline helps. We all should've known this was going to take a while, and it's a good thing too. Better to not screw it up again.
Believe me, I knew how long it would take. It Doesn't excuse their deception one bit.

And shame on Iga for blaming the hardware (limitations) instead of just being honest.

This version is trash.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Believe me, I knew how long it would take. It Doesn't excuse their deception one bit.

And shame on Iga for blaming the hardware (limitations) instead of just being honest.

This version is trash.
When did IGA blame hardware limitations? From what I understand, he didn't even know the state of the Switch version until it nearly released. And even admitting it was in a bad state, he took full responsibility by stating he didn't check in enough on the development of that version.

Seriously, if you can't forgive 505 Games, that's your prerogative, but you can't argue that they aren't trying their best to right the ship here. If the patches come, and it's still trash, there would certainly be plenty of reason to throw shade, but at least see how they do first.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Id rather not pay for a low effort port next time, thanks.

We all knew the switch version wasn't in too hot of shape before launch though. I'm not saying it should have launched that way, but we both know people would have had mental breakdowns if it was delayed further to fix it too.