• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So were they just hoping no one would complain about the state it released in?

I seriously doubt they thought it was fine before it launched.

One of the most egregious things to me, from the gameplay I've seen, was the shimmering from either a lack of anti aliasing or low resolution. It was very noticeable.

The cynic in me thinks that doing it this way garners them some good will for "reacting" even though they knew full well what the game was like well before release. But it worked somewhat and the defense force is out there.

Or, all of their QA testers are like the people who post here and don't see what the problem is.

As for WiiU/Vita... didn't those backers have an ability to get refunds? I don't remember exactly but I do know it was a sticking point later on when Mac/Linux users were not able to get refunds.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I also think people are massively overstating the issues with the Switch version.
It looks terrible compared to the other versions. Its missing a ton of effects. It runs at half the framerate or worse, it has bad input lag, it has much worse loading times.
The list goes on and on. I don't think people are overstaing anything.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't redeemed my code yet, and I'm kind of annoyed they won't let me change my Kickstarter pledge to the Xbox One version now that we know the Switch port is performing poorly.

Oct 25, 2017
they probably delayed the Switch version one week to avoid negativity against the game in its first week, and i bet this "response" was prepared.
Theory, they delayed the switch version by a few days so reviewers wouldn't review the switch version and the metacritic wouldn't be affected as badly.
The cynic in me thinks that doing it this way garners them some good will for "reacting" even though they knew full well what the game was like well before release. But it worked somewhat and the defense force is out there.
Yeah. Makes me not want to support them at all tbh. Optimizing for Switch obviously takes more time but they didn't want to publicly concede to anything.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. Curious what that's about then...

Anyways, like people said, for in depth analysis, probably wait till Digital Foundry covers it. There's definitely problems, but their video and write up should give us a clear picture how far this goes.

Quick question: Did anyone confirm which mode the portable mode is running in? Normal, Base Boost, or the New Boost mode?
That, unfortunately, I have no idea. I don't think it's been mentioned.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
None of these UE4 Switch games seem to have these issues...

Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Dragon Quest XI, Fortnite, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Little Nightmares, My Hero: One's Justice, Octopath Traveler, Snake Pass, The Flame in the Flood, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Yoshi's Crafted World

Many of those games have very agressive portable resolution cuts, down into the 300s and 400s, so that's going to be part of the solution here. Yoshi is a 2.5D game and in the same boat. It's also quite possible that this game was built on and older version of UE4, which did not have any of the Swirch specific improvements that made their way to games like Fortnite(or were waited on in the case of DQ).

In any case hopefully they can get it up to snuff. Maybe they can get Nintendo to let them use the higher GPU clock that MK11 is using, if they are not already.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
None of these UE4 Switch games seem to have these issues...

Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Dragon Quest XI, Fortnite, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Little Nightmares, My Hero: One's Justice, Octopath Traveler, Snake Pass, The Flame in the Flood, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Yoshi's Crafted World
Uhh, I disagree. Many of them dropped resolution to a very low number and tons of detail was sacrificed. Some are more significantly downgraded on Switch than Bloodstained.

It seems that the 2.5D nature of the game has resulted in people thinking it would be an easy port.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
they probably delayed the Switch version one week to avoid negativity against the game in its first week, and i bet this "response" was prepared.

I doubt it tbh. There was a 505 rep in the Bloodstained thread last week talking about how difficult and troubled the development on the game was, and that he wanted to put together a video or blog that kind of detailed what happened. And obviously we know that it was a difficult development given the length of time it took, and the developer revolving door they had for a little while there. I think it's more or less that they've been doing all they can to get the game ready for release, and delayed the Switch version to try and improve it as best they could. It would be one thing if the game was completely polished on the other platforms, but it's not, and those are ones that were in scope from the beginning.
Thank you. Curious what that's about then...

Anyways, like people said, for in depth analysis, probably wait till Digital Foundry covers it. There's definitely problems, but their video and write up should give us a clear picture how far this goes.

Quick question: Did anyone confirm which mode the portable mode is running in? Normal, Base Boost, or the New Boost mode?
Would need someone with a hacked Switch to check it out probably. I haven't seen anyone testing that as of yet though.
Uhh, I disagree. Many of them dropped resolution to a very low number and tons of detail was sacrificed. Some are more significantly downgraded on Switch than Bloodstained.

It seems that the 2.5D nature of the game has resulted in people thinking it would be an easy port.
Yeah I think people are really conflating some of the bad aspects of this port with the overall "norm" of what we've seen with a lot of games on the Switch, particularly UE4 games. While I do think there is some optimizing to be done, and input lag that definitely needs to be fixed, I think people should expect that this game is going to run at sub 540p in portable mode regardless of what is done, and at 30fps. Unfortunately it may take the supposed Switch revision to push it to a greater level of performance.

What resolution(s) is Bloodstained actually running at on the system right now anyway?

Last edited:

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I doubt it tbh. There was a 505 rep in the Bloodstained thread last week talking about how difficult and troubled the development on the game was, and that he wanted to put together a video or blog that kind of detailed what happened. And obviously we know that it was a difficult development given the length of time it took, and the developer revolving door they had for a little while there. I think it's more or less that they've been doing all they can to get the game ready for release, and delayed the Switch version to try and improve it as best they could. It would be one thing if the game was completely polished on the other platforms, but it's not, and those are ones that were in scope from the beginning.

Would need someone with a hacked Switch to check it out probably. I haven't seen anyone testing that as of yet though.

Yeah I think people are really conflating some of the bad aspects of this port with the overall "norm" of what we've seen with a lot of games on the Switch, particularly UE4 games. While I do think there is some optimizing to be done, and input lag that definitely needs to be fixed, I think people should expect that this game is going to run at sub 540p in portable mode regardless of what is done, and at 30fps. Unfortunately it may take the supposed Switch revision to push it to a greater level of performance.

What resolution(s) is Bloodstained actually running at on the system right now anyway?
720p on handheld and 720p dynamic on docked

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
The "strategic" 1-week Switch release delay is what really bugs me tbh. It seems like an effort to deliberately prevent negative reviews.
it could be
I'm really curious on sales figures for this game. I'd like to know how well the switch version is doing against the other ones

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, if they only just fixed the ridiculously high input lag and the reported heavy frame drops in certain areas, I would be completely fine with this version of the game.

and I say this as someone who wishes they backed PS4 now.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad i decided to not back this game and wait before buying. I like Metroidvanias, but I'll wait till they patch and fix most problems. I've got Hollow Knight to scratch my itch in the mean time.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo actually puts the most recent version on cart with every print run. If Bloodstained stays in print theoretically you'd be able to find a fully updated cart eventually.
Oh that's good to hear. Now if only I could get rid of this kickstarter switch copy I have... I guess I could go ebay it.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
All I ask is that they fix the input lag. I didn't expect PS4 level visuals and the framerate is janky but I can deal with that. But there's definitely something wrong when I can't beat the first boss despite numerous attempts due to the lag and then play on One X and beat it on the first try.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Played for about an hour.
Framerate hasn't been an issue
Input delay hasn't been an issue
The visuals have been a huge issue. Game looks to be running at 720p+ like they said but all the assets are so damn low res it's no use. The characters look like shit and they keep doing close ups. All the textures are blurry as fuck

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Glad I canceled my support when they axed the Wii U version. $60.00 for a broken game and a cardboard slipcover or $40.00 for a broken game with a sweet steelbook from Best Buy. Glad I went with Best Buy. Not sure if I will ever open the game now though. Might just keep it sealed with many of the others in the collection.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
Just got this on Switch and played an hour- non hyperbole thoughts for anyone on the fence:

1. Miriam looks fine, npcs are below the level of detail you would deem acceptable.
2. Playable but noticeable lag on bosses and quick moving enemies. I beat the first boss but a load of minor enemies in the castle opening proved a pain. I suspect this would get worse the further in you go.
3. Framerate is okay, as are background graphics on Portable. However, if you'll be playing primarily on a TV then probably go for another system as I can't see this improving massively. That said, I wouldn't consider it ugly.
4. Had 2 I instances where full rumble kicked in and wouldn't stop until I reached a save point. Very disappointing.
5. 1 instance where the screen froze for 3 seconds just running through a corridor.

All in all, I'd say wait on the upcoming patches before you decide if to buy. Cannot recommend in its current form. However, I definitely think they can salvage it. I'm not going to continue playing but not sell immediately anymore either. Hopefully it's in an acceptable state shortly.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I would have just taken a Steam code if they had let me when they said it was going to be 720p 30fps. I knew this was going to be a mess then, and they confirmed it when they delayed it a week. Now I'm sitting here going on 3 weeks after launch, as a $60 backer, still not having played the game. I'll even take a temporary Steam key just to play a decent version of the game. I'm so disillusioned by this whole mess.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Glad I canceled my support when they axed the Wii U version. $60.00 for a broken game and a cardboard slipcover or $40.00 for a broken game with a sweet steelbook from Best Buy. Glad I went with Best Buy. Not sure if I will ever open the game now though. Might just keep it sealed with many of the others in the collection.

No it's not a broken game, I am 10hrs in Switch version now and just can't put it down. ;/
Visual is acceptable on handheld, there are framerate drops on certain area but definitely not game breaking. The input lag is the only major issue which they will address.