• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
This is why I wanna punch everyone who cries about "entitlement", "handouts", and the "free market"

Having people subsidize giant corporations is fucking trash, and then stupid fucks talk about "they give jerbs! Teh jerb creat0rs!!!" Fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism works well in many countries which aren't oligarchies.
Where they're in a constant struggle with would be oligarchs constantly lobbying to erode social welfare programs and give them more power to actively ruin the lives and livelyhood of the common people and losing once means they descend into a U.S. style shit show.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the flying fuck. these data centers should have solar panels on top of them, for how much energy they suck down to start with. and they should be footing their own damn electricity bill, the fuck kind of bullshit is this.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Dominion is to blame for this, and the stupid Virginia delegates that allowed this to happen.

Town gives company boatloads of corporate welfare to try and attract invesment to an area where young people are leaving in droves, ends up using taxpayer money to prop up an inefficient investment without seeing noticeable benefits to their primarily elderly population. Just another day in the American midwest.

This is right outside of Washington DC. Maybe read the article before posting shit.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Enough of this bullshit.

"39 year old man had sex with 15 year old girl. It's okay because 15 is the age of consent here, don't hate the player hate the game!"

Laws and loopholes do not make immoral, bad things okay.

This isn't capitalism causing this, its government.
Government is a reflection of its constituency. The US government's constituency is corporations and the super rich. Corporations literally own our government and write our laws, and ignorant, apathetic voters let them.

Oct 26, 2017
What can even be done? I feel like stories on silicon valley financial shadiness and tax dodging come out every few months and they barely register anymore. depressing as fuck

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I know this is a joke post, but it really is the problem. Someone at Amazon probably got a raise for engineering this. People fucking over other people under the guise of "I'm just doing my job and representing the shareholders" is a big fucking problem in this country.

We also have some awful elected officials.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
What can even be done? I feel like stories on silicon valley financial shadiness and tax dodging come out every few months and they barely register anymore. depressing as fuck

Thats the sad part about it. Feels like nothing can be done. All of our politicians are in these people's pockets. Any politician who tries to come up and fight against this shit just gets bludgeoned with attack ads and no support from their party. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I used to yell at people with an "Eat the rich" mentality about how dangerous it is. But as this shit keeps happening...what else is left?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
the flying fuck. these data centers should have solar panels on top of them, for how much energy they suck down to start with. and they should be footing their own damn electricity bill, the fuck kind of bullshit is this.
A lot of these red states and counties are very anti renewables. Mostly because they have coal industries.

OP
OP

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats the sad part about it. Feels like nothing can be done. All of our politicians are in these people's pockets. Any politician who tries to come up and fight against this shit just gets bludgeoned with attack ads and no support from their party. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I used to yell at people with an "Eat the rich" mentality about how dangerous it is. But as this shit keeps happening...what else is left?
Setting the table with our finest silverware

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
A lot of these red states and counties are very anti renewables. Mostly because they have coal industries.
yea well, get with the fucking times. When there are more yoga instructors in the US than there are coal industry jobs, you might have a problem

or better yet instead of wasting your time in dying coal, learn renewables, there's going to be plenty of jobs in renewables for a while.

Dec 9, 2017
Hey you poor bastard, Pay your bill or you're cut off!
You're one of the rich companies on the planet earth...we can help you with not paying that bill.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm officially done with amazon.
I'm sure a lot of people say this, but still order from them. I've actually decided to avoid them, and started this a few months ago. I have one remaining $30 off preorder for Spider-Man, and that's the last one. I've bought around $800 in books over the past couple weeks and not a single one from Amazon. I get my games from the local shop or EB. I even bought a bike rack from a local store, paying around $50 more, just to avoid amazon.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Why Jeff Bezos

Fucking why

Just pay the same shit everyone else does. Jesus fuck this weasel. I know its not technically on him

This is a policy failure but still. Ethics should mean something to these shits

He'd rather spend money on space than on good wages for his employees. There's not much in way of good redeeming qualities for Bezos.

Nov 16, 2017
Oh come the fuck on. Don't pay your employees, don't pay property tax, have states pay you to build shit on their land, don't pay utility bills. Bezos richest motherfucker. I'm officially done with amazon.
lol yeah right, no one that says they are "done with Amazon" is actually ever done with Amazon. You will come crawling back.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Northern Virginia and pay a Dominion bill every month... I knew that something was wrong from the way my mom reacted when I told her how much we paid in electricity every month.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
"Done with Amazon"
*shrug *

Stop using the internet then. Half of it is powered by AWS, even this forum I believe. You will be using their services you like it or not.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Done with Amazon"
*shrug *

Stop using the internet then. Half of it is powered by AWS, even this forum I believe. You will be using their services you like it or not.
Just because it's hard to boycott all of their products and services doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop using some.
Also, if you're concerned about services hosted on AWS, the move is to pressure companies to switch to a different hosting solution, not giving up.

p.s.
Personally, I think it's easier to go at them legislatively, but that doesn't mean I don't try to reduce the amount of money I pay to them as much as possible on a personal level.

Oct 27, 2017
The price of outsourcing manufacturing was creating and solidifying new oligarchs that utilize automation with no plans of replacing human labor at the same levels. Otherwise, what's the point of automation? And the consolidation of wealth and power is proof that economists propping neoliberal policies failed to understand the inevitable fallout of their policy decisions to afford what is actually corporate welfare and welfare for the rich (I.e., circumventing of domestic labor and environmental laws) "to get cheap shoes and electronics". Unfortunately, it also came at the expense of livelihoods robust enough to procure the important assets in life (house, car, education, and healthcare).

That's how much the cheap cloths and iPhones actually cost.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
After Tesla and Elon Musk, I wonder if Bezos and Amazon will be the next billionaire / company that the public does a 180 and turns against. Amazon has been so brazen lately and their greed seems like has no bounds.