• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
www.bloomberg.com

Developers Are Making Games for a Nintendo 4K Console That Doesn’t Exist

At least 11 companies, including Zynga, have tools from Nintendo to make 4K Switch games.

Employees at 11 game companies said their teams were in possession of Nintendo's 4K development kit for the Switch. The companies span the globe, ranging from large publishers to small studios and include at least one that has never made a console game before, Zynga Inc., according to the employees, who asked not to be identified because they weren't authorized to discuss their projects publicly.

But a system capable of handling 4K games isn't expected to be released until late next year at the earliest, people familiar with the plans said. That leaves Nintendo at a technical disadvantage to rivals, whose shares have soared this year while Nintendo's have lost 20%. It also risks alienating developers who have spent months tailoring their games to take advantage of upgraded hardware capabilities.

Nintendo responded to a list of questions by saying Bloomberg's reporting is "inaccurate" and declined to specify which parts of the information it was referring to.

Here we go again...

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
happening-bunker.gif

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to believe that this is legit but we've had lots of speculation/rumors for what feels like forever now.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
People are sensationalizing this article more than it actually is. The content of it was pretty grounded.

It gives no indication at all whether a switch pro is coming because at this point that's determined by market factors.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People who wait/jump on that 4K Switch are going to be real mad when Switch 2 launches 7 days after it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on team "OLED was supposed to be Pro" but they couldn't lock the chips in time.

BotW2 releasing with Pro

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Switch 5 year anniversary would have been the sweet spot for this. They are really dragging out the Switch, but I guess at the rate it's still selling who wouldn't drag it out

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not entirely unconvinced that Nintendo had originally planned for a Switch Pro this year, but may just be waiting for the Switch 2 now with all the chip shortages.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this point show it officially or with a leak or just be quiet. I'm not getting back on that train right now

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Chip shortage (includign the 'new' supply issue announcements, as well as the lowered aluminum production) make it fairly evident that the 4k variant got delayed - now I'm just curious on whether this is technically still in the Switch family (aka Switch Pro), or whether it ends up being more akin to a Switch 2.

4 years isn't long for a nintendo console, but at this point outside of 1st party stuff it either takes massive cuts to graphics/features, being a 'cloud' version, or designed from the ground up to be scale-able down to the switch's specs - and that's before we even really start getting into next-gen proper.

Granted, that's a big assumption that nintendo cares about that kind of scenario given how well the switch is selling...guess we'll see.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If Metroid Dread weren't out this year, I wouldn't even think about picking up the Switch OLED.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Honestly, I feel the inaccurate thing could actually be release timing considering Bloomberg's track on accurate content but inaccurate timing.

But imho, considering the devkit timing (Late 2020 for the first wave), and the SoC likely nearing Tape-Out (Thank you Kopite), Summer 2022 is also a potential release window.

Summer 2022, Holiday 2022, or Early 2023 are the possible windows imho.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Coming from the same guy who reported that there was a 4k capable switch coming before the OLED some time ago, yeah? Nah.