• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

21st Century Fox Inc., the global film and TV company controlled by the Murdoch family, would prefer to sell some assets to Walt Disney Co. because it's a better strategic fit and presents fewer regulatory hurdles, people familiar with the matter said.

The family is holding talks with Disney, as well as Comcast Corp., about combining certain media businesses with the potential buyers, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. The assets would include the 20th Century Fox film and TV studio and Fox's stake in the U.K. pay-TV provider Sky Plc, they said. They don't include Fox News, the Fox broadcast network or the Fox Sports 1 channel.

A deal could open the door for James Murdoch, Fox's chief executive officer, to join Disney. The Murdochs aim to make a decision by the end of the year, the people said. Whether they pursue a transaction will depend on the price and structure, they said.

The Murdochs -- Rupert Murdoch, 86, and his sons James and Lachlan, Fox's top officers -- are considering a sale as the market values the group below slower-growing peers. A deal would dramatically expand Disney's global reach, giving the world's largest entertainment company control of Sky, Star India and U.S. cable channels including FX and National Geographic.

Fox, based in New York, declined to comment. Disney, based in Burbank, California, didn't respond to requests for comment.

More at the link.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want to see Marvel regain some of it's properties, I think that would possibly make Disney too large where they would have influence that can't be countered.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, this really is happening.
Doctor-Doom-Part3.jpg

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit, this is the last god damn thing we need.
Disney owning this much of the movie market is bad for everyone.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would Disney really reboot the xmen properties when they having a pretty good few years?

Man Xmen showing up in phase 4 would crazy though

Galactus is MCU is perfect though

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
Sweet. Bring on the X-MEN and FF for Phase 4. They should try and adapt some of Hickman's FF stories - good stuff right there.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens they should obviously reboot / recast everyone from the FOX marvel movies and slowly slot them into the MCU.... except for Deadpool. That should continue as is but its in the MCU now

It can be like that episode of Fresh Prince where they recast Vivian but only Jazzy Jeff was aware of it.

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadpool can be the perfect intro to this deal, having the Disney logo before Deadpool 2 lol.

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
So if this goes through Marvel will pretty much have full control of all of their characters? Or is Sony still keeping some spiderman stuff hostage?

BR2049

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit.
We're about to get a good fantastic four movie.
And Singer will never touch x-men again..

giphy.gif

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between Comcast and Disney... yeah, I know which one I'd pick over the other every damn day of the week.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if this goes through Marvel will pretty much have full control of all of their characters? Or is Sony still keeping some spiderman stuff hostage?

Sony still is trying to make Spiderverse separate from MCU a thing but other than that Marvel would have all their popular characters for solo movies except Hulk

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want to see Marvel regain some of it's properties, I think that would possibly make Disney too large where they would have influence that can't be countered.

It's getting sold regardless. I would rather Disney have it than anyone else, not because of the cross platform thing but Disney knows how to use their properties correctly.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At least my favorite nerd shit will crossover with my other favorite nerd shit

This sale is happening regardless of what any one of us thinks about it. At least with Disney it has a possibility of bringing good content, which it has less of a possibility of with a Comcast acquisition.

People can simultaneously dislike the idea of a big company getting bigger while also thinking they will enjoy some of the byproducts. It's not a black and white situation.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that but can Marvel use any Spidey character they want for their MCU Spiderman movies?

AFAIK, the deal only stipulates Spider-Man specifically (and probably whatever villains Disney wants), but Homecoming went so well both critically and commercially that I'd be shocked if Sony doesn't continue the relationship and expand on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.