• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
So Mario 3D All Stars finally convinced me to get a Switch.

Should I wait for a "Switch Pro" since the current Switch is overpriced?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
So you kinda helped/showed the point of DLSS there?

Allows for a lighter work load but able to display an image at better than native when uoscaled. If you want to know how it's better than native because you don't understand DLSS, tldr is it is upscaling every part of the 3D pipeline before its rendered, not just upscaling the image alone.
No I know how it works. I watched the DF video on it but my knowledge of it is limited. I am saying that we don't really know what the Switch's new hardware is capable of so I am not gonna bank on it making games look great in 4k. I will however go into it knowing that it will make it possible for Monolith to make games as incredible as Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE without it looking like a fuzzy mess.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
No I know how it works. I watched the DF video on it but my knowledge of it is limited. I am saying that we don't really know what the Switch's new hardware is capable of so I am not gonna bank on it making games look great in 4k. I will however go into it knowing that it will make it possible for Monolith to make games as incredible as Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE without it looking like a fuzzy mess.
Ah okay didn't catch that in the post lol

But yeah this whole thing is gonna be interesting

Jul 14, 2020
Hey, first off thanks for all the Switch content on your Youtube channel.

I've heard the same, but the question I have is does anyone need to know this far in advance? Nintendo had a big lock down on leaks at the beginning of the year, and unless they are working on a particular project, does it make sense for them to know about the device this far out? DLSS support if that is what it is, doesn't take too much time, and if you are not making an exclusive for this device, they would want you targeting the previous hardware anyways correct?

I know I've championed the idea of a Switch Pro for years here, but bloomberg isn't alone in reporting this. Nikkei reported it last year with the remark about a better CPU and a full replacement for the Switch, where as they painted the Lite as a device that was still internally very much a Switch (Tegra X1 and everything).

Also, while we are assuming a Q2 launch, it might be delayed, and 4K support can also be patched in, if the game is relevant enough. Say something like Monster Hunter if they don't have information on it yet.

I think it's obvious Nintendo is about to release a more powerful model, and I doubt it will only be within Mariko's performance limits, that leaves a 2* or 3* performance jump IMO, and if reports are true that Nintendo is looking at 4K support, I think DLSS is required to get meaningful support for that resolution out of this type of device. Hopefully you hear about the new model soon, when insiders can report 100% that it is in fact Tegra X1 or not, that will help a great deal here obviously.

I acknowledge that hardware is different than software, but no one leaked HW: Calamity despite it being days away so it's possible very, very few devs know or will break NDA to acknowledge the Switch Pro.

MVG I also enjoy your content. Welcome 🙏

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
So Mario 3D All Stars finally convinced me to get a Switch.

Should I wait for a "Switch Pro" since the current Switch is overpriced?

You'd be waiting until at least March of next year, probably longer.

The current cream of the crop first party games on Switch look fine as-is. I'd recommend just getting one with Mario, then trading in for a Pro when the time comes.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
You'd be waiting until at least March of next year, probably longer.

The current cream of the crop first party games on Switch look fine as-is. I'd recommend just getting one with Mario, then trading in for a Pro when the time comes.

Hmm im not really in any rush to play any of the other 1st party nintendo games yet, but I would like to claim a digital copy of All Stars which can only be done on a Switch console. So I guess it depends if the "Pro" is announced/released before March. If not, then I could see myself getting a current Switch and trading/selling it for a Pro later. Just seems like a bit of an extra hassle though, I wish the digital version of All Stars wasn't limited too lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The 4k stuff doesn't really sit right with me. I think it might be referring mainly to developers of smaller, less demanding games, probably 2D pixel art games. Adding tensor cores for DLSS would require designing a brand new chip rather than simply doing another die shrink of the TX1, which is where I think they went.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm im not really in any rush to play any of the other 1st party nintendo games yet, but I would like to claim a digital copy of All Stars which can only be done on a Switch console. So I guess it depends if the "Pro" is announced/released before March. If not, then I could see myself getting a current Switch and trading/selling it for a Pro later. Just seems like a bit of an extra hassle though, I wish the digital version of All Stars wasn't limited too lol.

Yeah in that case I'd just wait until the last moment to see if they pop out the Pro before they stop selling Mario

MVG

Sep 2, 2020
thanks for the warm welcome.

I think the new article mentioned "outside developers' or third party's. It is possible - of course that this is limited to a select group of developers under NDA but that seems a little strange to me

Takashi is a well respected journalist - i just wanted to bring a third party developer viewpoint to this. As far as me, and others ive spoken to - this isnt something thats been known about

Last edited:

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
thanks for the warm welcome.

I think the new article mentioned "outside developers' or third party's. It is possible - of course that this is limited to a select group of developers under NDA but that seems a little strange to me

Takashi is a well respected journalist - i just wanted to bring a third party developer viewpoint to this. As far as me, and others ive spoken to - this isnt something thats been known about

Hi, welcome to Era!

While I am not too hopeful on Nintendo targeting 4K on any soon-to-release device, as you said, both sides of the story could be true. Any of those developers would probably be under NDA, so if true we will hardly get any confirmation on this.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
If you're the real MVG, I want to say thank you for the videos you've uploaded. But anyway, I wonder if Takashi only spoke to Japanese developers (and maybe a select group of Western developers that Nintendo trusts) if there's still validity to what Takashi reported. Nintendo likes to be very secretive when new hardware is concerned.
I was thinking the same. Nintendo is usually very select, and it wouldn't surprise me if EAD studios and a few key development partners are aware of the new system and it being 4K ready for docked.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me one bit considering the holiday lineup.
Nintendo probably just moved the lineup down a few months to align with the release of new/upgraded hardware.

We don't even have 720p60 and they are asking for 4k? gtfo

I mean, it's game-dependent, but we do have more than a few 1080p60 games on switch....

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think all I really want out of this is more stable performance out of existing games but that is probably asking for too much.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Shitty math warning

4k is 4 times 1080p, so you require a lot of more power to run 4k than 1080p at an estable framerate.

4k is 9 times 720p.

For me the machine should be at least 15x the switch

You certainly won't need 4K in handheld mode so I think 4x would suffice. Even games that previously ran at 720p in docked mode would get a nice upgrade to 1440p.
All of this is not accounting for any kind of DLSS/upscaling thing

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
What games? most of them are wiiu ports. That is PS3-360 generation.

moving-goalposts.jpg

Regardless, though, do you actually want a list? Cause I'm sure you can find that via an online search.
My point was that your post was just false.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Shitty math warning

4k is 4 times 1080p, so you require a lot of more power to run 4k than 1080p at an estable framerate.

4k is 9 times 720p.

That would be a massive jump compared to the switch, and potentially really expensive. I'm really interested in seeing how they accomplish this.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
That 30 million is pretty crazy....not as crazy as that thread on here asking if the console is worth the price.

That 4K stuff isn't happening though and idk why anyone would believe it. Even if it did, then what? Nintendo's teams and close partners sure wont be utilizing the hardware given their track record.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Shitty math warning

4k is 9 times 720p.

If the rumors of 4k are true, we are likely getting turing or ampere tech with DLSS. So won't need nearly that much raw power. Something like a 1.5 TFLOP Ampere could be as powerful as 4 switches and give us native 4k from 1080p games. But we will need something proportional in bandwidth to reach that, if we don't count DLSS. I don't think we'll get more than 50-78GB/s from a 8GB 128 bit buswidth LPDDR4x or 6-8GB 64 bus width LPDDR5 on 51.2GB/s bandwidth.

Also thinking Nintendo (if rumor is true) meant we would get 4k based off current 1080p switch games in docked mode, not 720p.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
New games = no ports

All of the wiiu titles are already on switch

But i believe the claim is BS

Unless I'm missing something nothing in the article says this is referring to new games. Existing games can be patched to take advantage of upgraded hardware, it happens all the time.

Also plenty of new games are not demanding at all, probably the majority of indie games the Switch gets weekly.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
DLSS is not free, it requires Tensor Cores.
The implication is that they would be using a new chip instead of the same Tegra X1+.
If not DLSS, then they would have to do something like squeeze out 4x+ the performance out of the same chip by clocking it higher.
I think that might be possible if they shrink the die allowing for more thermal headroom without adding additional cores, but I personally don't see Nvidia being too keen on this when they already have a new architecture being manufactured at 8nm.
It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia itself would want to move forward with its Tegra chips, too.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still rather have a pro dock, but joycons that aren't shit is the maximum I came to expect at this point.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
If the rumors of 4k are true, we are likely getting turing or ampere tech with DLSS. So won't need nearly that much raw power. Something like a 1.5 TFLOP Ampere could be as powerful as 4 switches and give us native 4k from 1080p games. But we will need something proportional in bandwidth to reach that, if we don't count DLSS. I don't think we'll get more than 50-78GB/s from a 8GB 128 bit buswidth LPDDR4x or 6-8GB 64 bus width LPDDR5 on 51.2GB/s bandwidth.

Also thinking Nintendo (if rumor is true) meant we would get 4k based off current 1080p switch games in docked mode, not 720p.

Let's not count out the fact that they could still utilize DLSS effectively to output 4k while still rendering at 720p.
This would still achieve spectacular results.
Here's Control at 720p -> DLSS to 4K:
Control-4k-720p-DLSS.png

I forgot where I got this screenshot from, but it's from this forum. I just had it in my history.
That's with 2nd gen Tensor cores.
Ampere uses 3rd gen Tensor cores, and Nvidia's own benchmarks suggest that 720p -> DLSS 8K is viable with the 3090, showcasing the improvements in the Tensor cores.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Funny if Switch pro model will be more expensive than next gen console model.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shitty math warning

4k is 9 times 720p.

How much more powerful is the X2 or Xavier compared to the X1?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
How much more powerful is the X2 or Xavier compared to the X1?
tX2 is basically the same as the TX1, but it has Denver cores (likely unusable on switch) instead of A53s (current unusable on switch), more cache, and can come with a 8GB RAM LPDDR4128 bus bandwidth to come with 59 GB/s bandwidth. Bandwidth being at least twice as much as current tx1 and switch.

Xavier is more powerful than TX2, but the Carmel cores is going to be too much effort for devs for current switch games.. and the actual board is really big and wouldn't fit on switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm missing something nothing in the article says this is referring to new games. Existing games can be patched to take advantage of upgraded hardware, it happens all the time.

Also plenty of new games are not demanding at all, probably the majority of indie games the Switch gets weekly.

Or some of Nintendo's new games such as Animal Crossing, Club House Games and Paper Mario. Even the new Hyrule Warriors might be 1080p.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
First post here. Im a registered Nintendo Developer and I also talked to many dev friends (both large and from small indies) about this. This 4k story doesnt make any sense. Someone sold Takashi a bunch of lies.
Welcome! I think I've seen your videos.

Seems like the Nintendo ninjas are once again dropping redherrings to catch leakers if that was the case.

As always to other people here, keep expectations in check, if not lower them. Even if Bloomberg reports it, the mention of 4K should be taken with a massive grain of salt. We just like to speculate the crzy ways one can achieve 4K while requiring half the performance.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not count out the fact that they could still utilize DLSS effectively to output 4k while still rendering at 720p.
This would still achieve spectacular results.
Here's Control at 720p -> DLSS to 4K:
Control-4k-720p-DLSS.png

I forgot where I got this screenshot from, but it's from this forum. I just had it in my history.
That's with 2nd gen Tensor cores.
Ampere uses 3rd gen Tensor cores, and Nvidia's own benchmarks suggest that 720p -> DLSS 8K is viable with the 3090, showcasing the improvements in the Tensor cores.
Now where the heck is that video I've been posting that better explains how it works...:

DLSS is not free, it requires Tensor Cores.
Hmm, I wonder who has that tech...