• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 29, 2022
www.bnnbloomberg.ca

Grand Theft Auto will have female main character for first time - BNN Bloomberg

After a public controversy four years ago, Rockstar, the maker of Grand Theft Auto, is reinventing itself as a kinder, gentler company.

• Grand Theft Auto 6 will feature a playable female protagonist for the first time; she's a latina that is one of a pair of leading characters, influenced by Bonnie & Clyde
  • Working title Project Americas
  • Main location is a fictional version of Miami + its surrounding areas
  • Game will evolve over time, adding new cities
  • The game world is already large; more interior locations than prev. GTA games

Full Article:

There will be a female protagonist

The game will feature a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the matter. The woman is Latina and will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde. Developers are also being cautious not to "punch down" by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast with previous Grand Theft Auto games.

The new map is a fictionalized Miami but will update over time

The game's new map is now focused on a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas. Rockstar's plan is to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game's final months.

Last edited:

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to find out if it will be the ONLY playable character or if the leaks has been on to something.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Interested to see how they will do it. Latina bank robber, Bonnie and Clyde esque, I'm down.

Rockstar has had a string of really well written female characters going back 15+ years. Sadie Adler being one of the best side characters in any recent game I've played. She's just so fucking good, especially how she grows. She's not one-note, she doesn't start as like ... "do it all female cowboy who shows all the boys how it gets done," which can be a trope in a lot of games, she begins as vulnerable and at risk, and through the story/actions in the game, becomes this ultimate bad ass and one of my favorite characters Rockstar has ever written. Rockstar also writes complex, well developed, and not entirely good women too... Mary Linton from RDR2, Tilly Jackson in her few scenes, and going back to the early 2000s, Kendle Johnson from GTA:SA who is a rare prominent female character in an early 2000s videogame that is not a love interest, sex achievement, helpless dame in need of saving, etc, for the player/protagonist. Another Rockstar shoutout to Sister Calderon / Mother Superior Calderon in RDR2 & RDR/Undead Nightmare.

Last edited:

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. Rockstar never exactly wrote women well in most of their games, but Red Dead 2 was such a huge step up for them writing wise and has some very strong female characters so if they can bring that into the next GTA it should be good.

Jul 22, 2022
So if they are planning for 2023-2024 release but the developers are skeptical so we can probably expect it in 2025. Crazy to think that GTA5 was released in 2013...And I wonder if GTA7 will ever be created then.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno why it is surprising though. They already did this in GTA Online and GTA online is really big.
Actually I would have preferred that GTA6 would allow a character we create like the Online part and other open world games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's about damn time, please be a Black woman.

EDIT: Oh, she's Latina. Still cool.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Also, i'm ready to read some takes on Twitter when they'll officially announce a female main character.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the map expansions also come with SP content. It sounds like that's what they want to do but who knows what GTA Online will have to say about that.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I don't like the sound of this, though

The game's new map is now focused on a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas. Rockstar's plan is to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game's final months.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The woman is Latina and will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde. Developers are also being cautious not to "punch down" by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast with previous Grand Theft Auto games.

Let's fucking gooooo

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't like the sound of this, though

Sounds great to me. Imagine how amazing it would have been if we had gotten San Fierro or Las Venturas for GTA 5 in like 2017 and then the other for the PS5/XSX release.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Long overdue and inevitable during today's times.
I am looking forward to it if the game's good.

I'd still rather be able to play my own created character* but that's not GTA, I guess.

* Either myself or a redheaded woman (don't judge!)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of funny to think that we've gone an entire console generation without a new GTA game.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA version of Miami sounds incredible. All R* games are riddled with dev issues and they still deliver generation defining games. IMO R* are the best this industry has to offer, have confidence in them to put out another banger of a game.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sounds like they have learnt a lot, and it's good to see there will be a female lead and less punching down, but I'm not sure how I feel about the updating cities and story over time

I mean, it's good if it makes crunch less of an issue, but it also sounds like the game might not be complete at launch, and going full service game doesn't really seem to reduce crunch elsewhere in the industry as far as I'm aware

I mean, it could go either way. Taking a more positive perspective, it could mean it launches with a great campaign that gets added to. A return of story DLC (like the DLC campaigns we got for GTAIV)

It was always obvious they would go more in the direction of a service game, but I was hoping that would mainly be for the online and the SP stuff would be classic Rockstar like GTA5 and RDR1 and 2

I'll probably end up waiting till the 2nd or 3rd re-release anyway since we know this game will get like 6 versions over the next decade anyway

Jul 22, 2022
Rockstar's plan is to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis

It was inevitable that it will become live service like game. Games require too much to develop from scratch these days. I wonder if it is will be akin GTA Online but with campaign mode.

SP stuff would be classic Rockstar like GTA5 and RDR1 and 2
Too long development and too expensive to make.