• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's about time, it seems like we've been waiting a while for the announcement.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
im gonna laugh when this is just them merging all their existing services into one with tiered pricing

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
> Sony to Unveil PlayStation Subscription as Soon as Next Week
> By Jason Schreier and Takashi Mochizuki
> (Bloomberg) -- Sony Group Corp. is preparing to introduce a new video game subscription service for the PlayStation as early as next week, said people familiar with the plans.
> The service, which has been in development under the codename Spartacus, is Sony's answer to Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox Game Pass, a sort of Netflix for video games that has amassed more than 25 million subscribers. Sony's will debut with a splashy lineup of hit games from recent years, said the people, who requested anonymity because the plans are private.
> Sony's new service will combine two of its current offerings, PlayStation Now and PlayStation Plus. Customers will be able to choose from multiple tiers offering catalogs of modern games and classics from older PlayStation eras.
> Documents obtained by Bloomberg last year showed the most expensive tier will also give players access to extended demos and the ability to stream games over the internet. A spokesperson for Sony didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Excerpt from Terminal

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Be interested to see what they actually announce in relation to price, content, and service benefits

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
lol Jason didn't even publish it and it's already out in bits and pieces

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I have Plus till 2025 I think. Hopefully I won't have to pay a single dime for Spartacus.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Please launch in Latin America. How we haven't gotten PS Now yet is baffling.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't say next week, they said "as soon as next week". Plenty of wiggle room for it to not happen next week.

Doaln

Mar 24, 2022
People forget that Sony already has a competitor to Game Pass and it is PlayStation Now. This rebrand is important because so many people don't know about the subscription service at all OR they believe it's only for streaming games (and not downloading).

Sony will hopefully also upgrade the quality of games on the service and include all first-party titles. I would guess they won't do day 1 like Microsoft, so hopefully, something like six months or one-year post-launch might be reasonable for Sony? No idea.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Put it on pc with downloads and a better timeline for ports ill subscribe

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it will have confusing or overly complicated names/tiers. That's just a sony exclusive feature tbh.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Excerpt from Terminal

"Sony's will debut with a splashy lineup of hit games from recent years"
"Customers will be able to choose from multiple tiers offering catalogs of modern games and classics from older PlayStation eras."

Another mention of classic games is huge for me, and "splashy" is a word that needs to be used more.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing what this service actually offers to plus only customers like me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Matching Game Pass will be very hard, so curious what Sony's plan is with this thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Matching Game Pass will be very hard, so curious what Sony's plan is with this thing.

My guess is people will be decently disappointed if they try to compare it directly to Game Pass, because Sony is not going to put their AAA single-player $70 retail games on Spartacus day one.

There will probably be a value proposition, but people expecting a one to one "Game Pass, but Sony" will be pretty frustrated with what they offer.